One Step at a Time

MyungYeol One-Shot Collection

hello @ update 3 months later how are yalls 

so this is based off of the novel Elsewhere aka my favoritest book in the world omg (u should read it if you haven't, please. it's not the most well written or original or best book or amazing but i read it for the first time when i was like in the 5th grade and it opened up my eyes to many things) & it's basically about this after world named elsewhere (uh duh) and u travel on a boat called the ss nile to get there and it's all described in the fic anyways so you'll be a-ok welps this is like 2k i started in like july and didnt touch until today at midnight so..yh

Myungsoo didn’t know how he died.

                Well, to be honest, he wasn’t sure that he was dead either. If anyone had asked him, he would’ve just said that it was a strange feeling – only there was no one to ask him, because it didn’t take long for him to realize that he was alone.

                There was light everywhere, some sunlight coming in from the window and others seeming to radiate from the white sheets spread over the bunk bed. The wood of the room had been painted white and the clothes that Myungsoo couldn’t remember putting on were of the same color.

                “I wouldn’t breathe too hard if I were you,” a voice came, following the sound of a door opening. “You’re still recovering.”

                “What? I –“ Myungsoo stopped himself, noticing that his view was still oriented to the ground. It hurt too much to lift his neck up, so he didn’t.

                “It’s ok, I’ll come over there,” whoever talking said, and Myungsoo heard footsteps and then a face appearing beneath him.

                He didn’t recognize whoever it was but he could tell it was a boy around his age; the other had dark black hair swept to the right, soft, pale skin, and a smile nearly as bright as the lighting. He was laying with his back against the ground, face looking up at Myungsoo.

                “How do you feel?”

                “Where am I?” Myungsoo managed to breathe out. “What’s going on? Where are my parents –“

                “You don’t remember, do you?” the other asked, his voice turning quiet. The smile was starting to fade, and he looked as if he was about to sit up and explain, only to remember Myungsoo’s circumstance. Situating himself comfortably on the ground, he continued talking. “You’re dead.”

                “…I knew it.” And it wasn’t even that Myungsoo knew it, it was that it was such a simple thing to comprehend.

                He was dead. That was it, this was it, he couldn’t do anything anymore, he couldn’t –

                “Quit your negative thinking,” the boy softly scolded as if he knew what Myungsoo was thinking. “I hope you know where we’re headed.”

                “Actually, no.”

                “We’re going to Elsewhere, it’s where all the dead people go. It’s like an Afterlife.”

                Myungsoo had questions running through and from in his head and although understand and taking in the fact that he was dead was simple, he was completely torn by the prospect of an afterlife.

                So he did the same thing he always did back on Earth, or where he used to live, or…was he even still on Earth anymore? He wasn’t sure, but he knew that he was still going to evade the most uncomfortable situations with more questions. “Who are you? What’s your name? If I’m dead, does that mean you’re dead, too? Where are we –“

                Myungsoo was interrupted by the sound of the boy’s laughter, a quite harsh noise yet somehow soft at the same time.

                “Calm down, the ride’s pretty long, a few days. We have time to answer all the questions.” He grinned, putting a hand in Myungsoo’s face. “Hi, I’m Lee Sungyeol. Yes, I’m also dead, and we’re currently on the S.S. Nile and we’re headed to Elsewhere. Any more questions, or do I get a name now?”

                “I’m Kim Myungsoo.”

                “Trick question, I saw your identification on the list,” Sungyeol grinned. “But it’s nice to meet you anyways.”

                “List?”

                “Yeah, there’s a list of all the passengers in the dining room outside. It tells you how you died and what your name is, along with boarding information like faces and names.”

                “Oh…” Myungsoo’s eyes fell down, looking at the wooden floor and no longer at Sungyeol’s face. Was this what it was like dying? You get reduced to one list of people with more words and statements and no answers.

                “Can you move now?” Sungyeol asked a second later, wondering exactly how long he was supposed to give the other to have a slight sense of mind. He still wasn’t sure how to interact with others, in this life or the past.

                “I can feel my arms,” Myungsoo answered, his voice now slightly bitter.

                “Oh, that’s good. It’ll only take a few minutes to get you back on track. Or at least that’s how it was like with me – I woke up yesterday.”

                “…Were you…were you like me?”

                “Shocked, or hurt?”

                Myungsoo simply shrugged.

                “It doesn’t really matter, because both. I was screaming bloody murder, hell, you have no idea. I couldn’t move and no one came to help me.” Sungyeol exhaled heavily, a smile starting to come on as he shook his head slowly. “It took me a while to regain my muscle strength. Like, I had to kinda just figure out my entire life and let itself calm down. And then once I got out of bed – the top bunk, by the way – I came to see you laying there, and I freaked. The difference between you and me is that I knew I was dead. So I was freaking out, you know, what you would usually do, because I figured that I was probably in the autopsy room or something and there were more dead bodies around me.”

                He paused, sitting upright and playing with his fingers. “But then you were breathing, and you had this weird kind of, I guess, glow? to you. A light, too, but it didn’t take me too long to figure out there was a window on the side. If it makes you feel any better, for a good part of my dead life I really did think you were an angel.”

                Myungsoo wasn’t really sure how he was supposed to respond to that, so he didn’t. On the contrary, he thought that Sungyeol was either an axe murderer or the grim reaper.

                “Any more questions?”

                It took Myungsoo barely half a second to lift his head up to look at Sungyeol, and he realized it didn’t hurt as much anymore. There was still an aching pain, yes, but it was starting to slowly heal.

                “How…how did you die?” How did I die was on the tip of his tongue, but Myungsoo wasn’t really sure he wanted to know.

                But then again, Sungyeol had said he knew he was dead, or at least going to die.

                “I had a feeling, you know? Well, not really, but…this is going to sound crazy, I swear, but I was in the hospital.”

                “That’s not really crazy.”

                “No, I – you see, I was in a car crash. Like, a twelve person one with probably eighty cars or something – I’m not good at math – and I was that one unlucky single person that was walking. I was pretty much on the verge of dying anyways, but then on this day, I just heard something. Out of nowhere, really, and it was telling me to pull the chord. To die. You know?”

                Myungsoo absentmindedly shook his head, not even taking notice to how his neck no longer hurt.

                “I…I well, either way, I pulled it. And next thing you know, I’m here.”

                “Did you ever figure anything out?”

                “That was my next part,” Sungyeol grinned. “I started talking to some of the staff here and one lady told me at Elsewhere, there’s places where the dead people can see you. And if you get even more illegal, they can go to secret places and communicate with you.”

                “…What?”

                “That was my first thought too, but after that I had an entire day to think about it because you were still pretty dead so I had no one to talk to. And then I remembered my grandma. She was pretty much my best friend up until the 3rd grade when she…well, the thing dead people do that we did. I was her best friend too, so I thought about the real possibility that it could’ve been her wanting to talk to me, telling me to pull the chord and die so I could join her.”

                It took Myungsoo a good minute to digest everything the other told him. “That’s…some grandma you have there.”

                “I know, but I guess it was for the better.”

                “For the better?” Myungsoo said skeptically. “But you’re dead.”

                “It’s okay, to be honest. This isn’t really that bad, and the dead part wasn’t all too painful. It was the dying process that hurt.”

                “Oh.”

                Sungyeol was silent as the other’s single worded response, continuing to play with his fingers until he finally came up with something to say. “Do you still not know how you died?”

                “Not really,” Myungsoo shrugged. He kinda wanted to sit up now, maybe go take a seat beside Sungyeol or something and make actual conversation, but he wasn’t sure he was ready to move from the place he had just woken up in. Physically and mentally, in all honesty, because by the time he parted with the white sheets, everything would be so real. “I don’t really want to, either. It probably .”

                “?”

                “I mean, if my body and brain don’t want me to remember how I died, then it probably wouldn’t have been glorious, you know?”

                “Do you need help?”

                “…With what.”

                Sungyeol sighed, but a rather pleasant one and not so disappointed. “I can tell you’re struggling to get up, don’t even try to fake it.”

                He wasn’t, he just didn’t know what his body wanted. One minute he was ready to get up and the next he was crashing down.

                Sungyeol got onto his hands and knees, crawling the two steps to Myungsoo’s bed. He lifted his elbows up beside the boy and wrapped his arms around the younger’s torso.

                “I hope you realize you’re actually just hugging me, it’s not really helping me up,” Myungsoo let out in a strangled voice. He didn’t remember anything from his previous life, but he probably never had this much physical contact because this just felt awkward.

                “I’m gonna drag you down instead,” Sungyeol explained. “If I tried to get you to sit up, your head would hit the top bunk. And that wouldn’t be so pretty.”

                Myungsoo only stayed silent as he was pulled down by Sungyeol, landing with a thud on the floor of the ship. Needless to say, his tailbone had some pretty intense nerves.

                “My legs…”

                “Your legs?” Sungyeol looked at him, bringing his own in as he leaned against the side of the Myungsoo’s bed.

                “I can…feel them?”

                “Yeah, that’s kinda the point of limbs, you know?”

                Ignoring what Sungyeol was saying, Myungsoo stretched out his arms, running his hands over the expanse of his lower body. “I can feel them!”

                He turned to look at Sungyeol and his face fell blank. His eyes shifted to the ground at his legs, a hand touching them. “I don’t…I don’t think I was able to feel my legs before.”

                Sungyeol looked shocked for a minute, as if he was trying to figure out what it was like to not be able to feel his legs. Really, really strange, that’s what.

                “Do you think I can stand?” Myungsoo asked, turning to Sungyeol and a bright smile appearing on his face. His eyes nearly disappeared with his teeth coming in place, a dimple placed on his cheek.

                “Why don’t we…we try?” Sungyeol stammered out, standing up in front of Myungsoo. He bent down and held out his hands. “Do you think you can get up on your own?”

                “I’m not sure if I trust myself, so no.”

                “Here, grab a hold of my hands. My legs have been working for a good few decades, I can hold you.”          

                Myungsoo latched his hands onto Sungyeol’s, gripping on tightly while he depended wholly on Sungyeol’s pull to lift him up. When he was on his two feet, standing upright, he gasped

                “I’m not going to fall over, don’t worry,” Myungsoo assured, though Sungyeol kept a steady hold on him, one hand still holding onto his and the other now supporting his waist.

                “You don’t know that. If you haven’t been able to use your legs before, what makes you think you can use them now?”

                “I think it’s the aftereffect of dying.” Myungsoo grinned once more, his hold on Sungyeol’s hand slowly loosening. “Maybe this was another chance for me to be able to do something physical.”

                “Then wouldn’t you still have to learn how to walk and stand?” Sungyeol fussed, his eyebrows furrowing together as he maintained his support.

                “No, kinda think death gave me that, too. This is so great!”

                “I’m still holding onto you, it’s not that great.”

                “Let go of me then.”

                “No!” Sungyeol refused. “You’re gonna plop on the ground and that’s gonna hurt even more than when I tried to pull you off your bed.”

                “I’m going to be okay,” Myungsoo said confidently. “Let’s take this one step at a time – but it has to be my own step. You can let me go, I’m not going to die. Again.”

                Still unsure, Sungyeol slowly started to let go of the other’s waist. Myungsoo wobbled a bit, but gave him a nod. It took what felt like a century for Sungyeol to finally let go of his hand.

                “I –“ Myungsoo stopped himself, eyes widening as he realized that he was now supporting himself. “I’m standing!”

                “You are,” Sungyeol breathed out, surprised. “Now see – see if you can walk.”

                Myungsoo’s eyes glistened with hope as he took one step forward – then fell flat to the ground.

 

“I had no idea you could be this giddy,” Sungyeol scoffed. They were seated at the corner of the room across from the beds, Myungsoo patting down a bruise on his knee that was caused by him being able to walk while Sungyeol looked up at the ceiling.

                “It’s called being happy.”

                “You looked so depressed when you woke up. This entire walking thing must be big for you, huh?”

                “Yeah,” Myungsoo answered nonchalantly, still focused on his bruise.

                “You know what I was thinking, though…what if I didn’t pull the chord? If I survived it all. What if the crash affected my legs and I wasn’t able to walk after that?”

                “You would be like me.”

                “Well, yeah, you’re what got me thinking about it. I would miss walking so much.”

                “I don’t think I missed it. I don’t think I ever had the ability, if we’re being honest here.”

                “Really?” Sungyeol whipped his head to the side, watching as Myungsoo pressed on the purplish mark and made a hurt look. The kid, he swore. “How do you know?”

                “Gut feeling,” Myungsoo shrugged. “I think it’ll take me a while to figure out how I died, though. I mean, not that I mind, because this is pretty great as is.”

                “Yeah?”

                Myungsoo didn’t respond, still focused on his bruise. Sungyeol groaned in annoyance and grabbed onto his wrist, forcing him to look up at the other.

                “Stop hurting yourself and leave the bruise alone. The more you do that, the longer it’s gonna take to heal, and the longer it’s gonna take for you to get back out there and learn how to walk.”

                “Really?” Myungsoo couldn’t help but smile again, pulling his hand through Sungyeol’s significantly looser wrist to grab onto the older’s hand. “You’re gonna help me, right? This is going to be so great!”

                “Not a chance I’m letting you do it on your own,” Sungyeol raised his eyebrows. “By the time we land in Elsewhere, you’ll be a pro at walking.”

              

 

crying at the cuttoff ending im sorry but i mean u can guess how it ends right :~) it's now 2 am and im kinda dead so wOOOOHOO this was the best i could do so srry if it kinda ;;;

hope you all had a great sunday/will have a great monday ♥ any qs will be answered ha

[[cc:6]]