weird.

MyungYeol One-Shot Collection

 

the title's for the story and the way the fanfic is written. this wasn't supposed to end like that but I'm in a rush 'cause we're hosting Thanksgiving tom so I have to clean my room AND HAVE YOU SEEN MY ROOM IT'S LIKE AN EXPLOSION OKAY. 

Kim Myungsoo was, purely and deep down, a weirdo, whether or not people chose to believe it.

                Sungyeol, being his dorm mate since middle school, was very well aware of this fact. More than aware, he knew it firsthand, he’d seen it.

                For example, Myungsoo would dip the corners of his notebooks in water so that when they dried, he’d have something to play with. During class, if he listened carefully enough, Sungyeol could hear the crinkling of the cardboard cover and papers as the younger boy crackled them.

                And another thing Sungyeol had noticed. At night whenever Myungsoo needed to go to the bathroom, he’d be too tired to find a light switch and turn it on, so he’d just grab his phone and walk around like a zombie, using it as a light source.

                There was also that one time years ago when Sungyeol still had long hair, he’d asked Myungsoo to go and buy hair ties for him. The boy came back with twenty yards of elastic, claiming that he “thought they were hair ties”. The two of them spent hours cutting it up and tying them together to make more hair ties.

                No matter what face Myungsoo would put in front of everybody else, behind it, Sungyeol knew there was this dork that was bigger than a dork, that just destroyed any “Myungsoo is so cool” thoughts out of the tall boy’s mind.

 

“Myungsoo –“ Sungyeol stopped, staring at the boy he was about to call. “What…what are you doing?”

                “Huh? Oh, I couldn’t open the water bottle and you were taking a shower so I didn’t want to disturb you, but I was thirsty, so I had to do this.” Myungsoo motioned to what was in front of him. There was a water bottle, the top completely cut off so that there was this huge hole, and he was holding a spoon as he kept scooping the water out and drinking it off of the plastic utensil.

                “You know there’s water that comes out of the fridge, you could’ve just taken a cup and – never mind, you know what, never mind, you probably never even thought of it.”

                “Oh, I did, it’s just that I used all the cups to make little plants,” Myungsoo shrugged, backing away from the counter as he pointed to the windowsill. “Dongwoo hyung gave me these seeds for these super pretty flowers that I wanted to plant, and we didn’t have any pots, so I just took all the cups in our house. Put dirt in them, put the seeds in them, watered them. They’ll be ready for show soon!”

                Sungyeol just breathed in, grasping the fact that their dorm no longer had cups. “You…I…you’re really weird, you know that, Myungsoo?”

                It didn’t matter how many times he said it because, simply put, Myungsoo knew it. He just didn’t want to show it in front of anybody but Sungyeol.

                “I’m not weird,” he pouted. “I’m…smart. Using what I have. Right?”

                Sungyeol could only smile, walking a bit over to pat Myungsoo on the head. “Yeah. Smart. Okay, so I’m going out with Woohyun and Hoya later. Do you wanna come?”

                “Woohyun and Hoya?” Myungsoo’s pout turned into more of a frown. “They’re the ones that don’t like me, right? Or was that Sunggyu and Sungjong? I don’t remember.”

                “Nobody doesn’t like you, Myungsoo,” Sungyeol laughed softly. Everybody loved Myungsoo, especially the people that didn’t know how weird he could get. “They just think that you’re too…closed.”

                “Closed? Closed? I’m not closed, I’m…quiet.”

                Yeah, quiet around everybody but Sungyeol.

                “So do you want to come or not?”

                “I’ll stay home!” Myungsoo cried, throwing his arms around Sungyeol’s waist. “Maybe when you get back, we can go and buy cups!”

 

It didn’t really take that long for Sungyeol to grasp the fact that he liked Myungsoo, a lot, more than just friends. There were those little aspects that you couldn’t forget, for example, how Myungsoo plainly refused to be a complete and utter dork in front of anybody but him.

                He tried once to confess to Myungsoo. The boy was reading some manga, like he always did, and Sungyeol thought that it’d be a good time to say something.

                The only thing, the only thing he said was, “What would it take to fall in love with a boy?”

                Sungyeol had thought it was poetic somehow, but Myungsoo obviously didn’t. Or he did, it wasn’t really clear at all.

                He just stared Sungyeol in the eye, one hand on the manga and the other on a bowl of popcorn, then said, “Don’t go gay for somebody who wouldn’t go gay for you.”

                That, on its own, assured Sungyeol never to bring up the topic again.

 

“SUNGYEOL!” Myungsoo screamed when he’d rolled off his bed. “HYUNG!”

                There wasn’t a reply, and Myungsoo remembered that Sungyeol had gone out with Woohyun and Hoya. Or was it Sunggyu and Sungjong? He didn’t know, his memory wasn’t too clear.

                He sniffled, picking himself up and patting his arms to make sure they were all okay, then held his head for a good two minutes. He’d heard somewhere that when you hit your head, you lost a million brain cells, and the only way to get them back was to concentrate and hold your head hard for around 1-3 minutes.

                He didn’t know, maybe it was some health magazine. The thing was, if Myungsoo could remember clearly, it had been Sungyeol playing a trick on him a while back in middle school.

                “Hyung left me here alone,” Myungsoo pouted again, knowing full well that Sungyeol had invited him to come along. It just made him feel better to have somebody to blame as to why he didn’t get to spend more time with Sungyeol.

                Myungsoo liked Sungyeol. He liked him because, unlike everybody else in the world, he wouldn’t judge Myungsoo’s actions and deem him mentally unstable. Because he wasn’t mentally unstable, he was just different. Sungyeol had told him that.

                He recalled back in primary school, he accidentally put his shoes on before his socks when he was in a rush. His mother had just clicked her tongue at him, telling him that he was “weird”. His dad corrected her, saying that he was just forgetful – but then again, nobody really wore their shoes on before their socks no matter what the situation.

                If being weird, or whatever it was, got Sungyeol to like him better and take care of him, Myungsoo would be as weird as he could ever be.

                “Mary had a little lamb, little lamb, little lamb, Mary had a little lamb something, something, something,” Myungsoo hummed as he walked into the kitchen.

                The room was pitch black, and the sky outside was now dark. He tried finding a light switch because he was scared of the dark, but that didn’t work out too well because he was scared of the dark.

               

“C’mon! Another movie!” Hoya pushed, checking the list to see what else shows they could movie hop.

                “I can’t,” Sungyeol laughed. They’d seen two so far, and that was about four hours right there. He looked at his watch and, seeing that it was 10:56 PM, shook his head. “I have to get back to Myungsoo. We were supposed to go buy cups.”

                “Cups?” Woohyun looked at him as if he were high. “What…why…cups?”

                “Oh, he –“ Sungyeol stopped speaking for a moment, shaking his head. “Never mind. We just need more cups.”

                “Why didn’t he just come with us?” Hoya asked, although they all knew he only wanted Myungsoo to come because it rose their popularity by just the slightest. The more hot guys bunched together in a group, the more girls came.

                “He was feeling tired,” Sungyeol shrugged. The lie sounded better to the opposed “He doesn’t like people”. “Anyways, I’ll see you guys later, okay?”

                Before he even left the group, Sungyeol pulled out his cell phone and dialed Myungsoo’s number (which was actually speed dial #2 because #1 was voice mail and no matter what he couldn’t change that).

                There were about six rings before, “SUNGYEOL HYUNG GAWD DANGIT YOU GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK.”

                “…What?”

                “Where are you?” was Myungsoo’s timid reply. Only he could pull of such a bipolar act so well.

                “I’m coming home right now,” Sungyeol laughed. “Why? Waiting up for me?”

                “Yes!” Myungsoo shouted, not even bothering to deny the fact. “It’s, like, 3 in the morning right now!”

                “…Myungsoo, it’s 10…” Sungyeol paused for a moment to look at his watch and correct himself. “11:02. We can go buy cups later, okay?”

                “Cups? What cups?”

                “You know, the ones we ran out of. Remember? You used them to make plants?”

                “Oh, those? I threw them all away! They were making weird shapes and they scared me…”

                “So you threw them all away?”

                “Pretty much,” Myungsoo answered, unsure of whether or not he was supposed to be sorry. Besides, they were gonna go out and buy new ones anyways.

                “Why am I not even surprised?” Sungyeol sighed, asking himself more than Myungsoo. “You know what, I’ll just come back and we’ll buy the new cups tomorrow.”

                There was a chirpy goodbye from Myungsoo, and the phone went dead. Sungyeol smiled as he put the electronic device back, knowing that if this was anybody else, they’d be pissed off at Myungsoo to no end.

                But he wasn’t. He couldn’t be, because Myungsoo was just too freaking adorable to ever be pissed at.

 

If there was something else to add to Myungsoo’s overflowing list of extraordinary ways, it’d be that he was a klutz.

                It wasn’t even a regular occasional-tripping-over-object, it was like literally falling over everything. Yes, that did include air – it wasn’t possible, but somehow with Myungsoo, it just was.

                Sungyeol preferred to have everything in their room padded and/or carpeted just in case Myungsoo decided to go bizarre and fall randomly, but the younger boy refused to have any of it. He enforced that he would never, ever, ever, ever, ever fall. It was just “little trips here and there, nothing big”.

                After a solid two weeks of Myungsoo not gaining a single bruise from falling, Sungyeol decided to let his guard down and just do whatever he wanted to without having to watch his dongsaeng’s every little move.

                “HEY SUNGYEOL!”

                Looking up at the sound of the noise, Sungyeol shouted back, “WHAT?”

                Myungsoo randomly emerged from the hallway, staring at Sungyeol, who was seated on the couch reading a science textbook. “I need help on my homework.”

                Because all he was doing was studying for the science exam, Sungyeol voluntarily stood up to follow Myungsoo to their room.

                The younger boy just rocked on his toes and heels, nodding his head towards the room. Sungyeol sighed, walking first and having Myungsoo follow.

                It was another one of Myungsoo’s weird antics, but he’d always thought that Sungyeol would randomly run away and leave him if he turned and walked first. That would, obviously, never happen, but the possibility of that happening was still stuck in Myungsoo’s mind.

                “I need to finish my history homework, but math is super – AH!” Myungsoo screamed as he lost his footing on the ground.

                Without another moment of hesitation, Sungyeol whipped around to latch his hands onto Myungsoo’s wrists, saying, “I thought you told me you weren’t gonna fall anymore!”

                “I – I’m sorry,” Myungsoo faltered because for one thing, Sungyeol’s face was much too close to his (the little hints of coffee were still being inhaled into his nose) and his eyes were a still mix of anger and fright.

                Sungyeol seemed to have realized this too, but he didn’t take the notion to step away. They just stood there, Myungsoo half bent over his back about to crash onto the ground, Sungyeol being the only hold he had to not falling onto the floor and getting a concussion, and Sungyeol bent forward, his hands growing tighter and tighter on Myungsoo’s wrists by the second.

                “You know,” Myungsoo started, though his voice made him  sound like he had been hypnotized, “my wrists and back are gonna break if we keep this position. Maybe, like, we could stand up and stare at each other normally so I don’t have to go to the hospital?”

                What made it worse was that Sungyeol actually did what Myungsoo asked because for one thing, he was out of his mind and would listen to about anybody in the world right now, and two, because Myungsoo was acting weird again and weird Myungsoo was cute Myungsoo, and everything cute Myungsoo said went.

                So they actually stood there for the next twelve minutes, staring at each other, and they both realized something.

                Sungyeol saw Myungsoo, he actually saw the kid that wasn’t a dork but was also the guy that never cried unless he was forced to. That kept a cold front to anybody that didn’t know his real side, that sometimes cared for Sungyeol better than the vice versa.

                And Myungsoo saw Sungyeol, he actually saw the guy that wasn’t his hyung but the choding that jumped around like crazy, that was excited over the fact that Myungsoo had gone and bought more coffee every third Monday of the month, that squished him whenever he said something strange.

                Even if he was the one that had fallen and Sungyeol was the one that had caught up, Myungsoo stepped just the slightest bit closer until there was barely anything separating them apart. Years ago in middle school, Myungsoo had been significantly shorter than Sungyeol – like, a thousand centimeters or something – but now, they were only separated by around one or two centimeters.

                “Should we?” He asked solemnly, as if he hadn’t been the one that just smashed sixty cups because they made weird shapes that scared him.

                “We, like, probably should because, you know, it’s obvious that the sky’s blue –“ Sungyeol’s minute of weirdness was interrupted when he felt Myungsoo’s lips against his.

                The tables had turned for a split second, and neither of them minded.

 

“Hey Sungyeol. Sungyeol. Sungyeol.”

                “What?” Sungyeol, who had already been looking at Myungsoo, asked. He swerved the tiny straw around his boiling hot coffee, wondering what Myungsoo had in mind.

                “See this? See it?” His boyfriend asked cheerfully. He pointed at his orange drink, a cup of Fanta.

                “…Yeah.”

                “Okay, so get this. If people who are addicted to alcohol are alcoholics, than if I’m addicted to Fanta than I’m…” Myungsoo trailed off, hoping Sungyeol would get the rest of his joke.

                “Why would you even be addicted to Fanta?” Sungyeol said with his nose scrunched up. “It’s just orange soda, it isn’t even that good.”

                “No, you’re ruining it!” Myungsoo pouted, bouncing in his seat. “Why do you always do this to my jokes?!”

                “Okay, okay,” the older boy laughed, bringing his hands over to stop Myungsoo from breaking the café’s chair. “What are you then?”

                “I’m Fantastic! You get it? Fanta, fantastic? You get it?”

                Just looking at the hopeful look on Myungsoo’s face got Sungyeol to laugh. “Okay, okay, I get it. You’re the fantastic weirdo that I love, I got it.”

 

WHY ARE THERE SO MANY WIRES IN MY ROOM GAHH I'M GONNA BE UP ALL NIGHT JUST CLEANING IT OKAY.

people need to write more dorky myungsoo 'cause it's fun. 

no really my room's a mess that's my excuse for not prefecting this oneshot. even if none of my other ones are perfected either. okay fine i at this let's all shush about it now.

HAPPY EARLY THANKSGIVING OKAY AND GUESS WHAT IT'S DONGWOO'S BIRTHDAY. I KNOW I USUALLY HAVE THIS RANT THINGY BUT I HAVE THIS ENTIRE THING SET UP ON HMS FOR HIS BDAY BUT I CAN'T TYPE IT BECAUSE I'M SUPPOSED TO BE CLEANING MY ROOM AND ugh i need to clean my room ._________.

kay bye kay bye i'm in such a rush right now but i'm still typing WHY okay bye. (i'll reply to the rest of the comments like tomorrow or something because ROOM'S A MESS OKAY ROOM IS AN EFFING MESS.)