First Sight

MyungYeol One-Shot Collection

it's currently 2:53 am and im done w this okay omg this is like 3k and it may seemed rushed to u but YEAH WOOHOO FOR UPDATE hollas for spring break

It was way too early for this.

                Too early. Too early. Too early.

                “I’m just going to the library to work on a project!” Sungyeol remembered shouting at his mother as he was running out the door after she’d bothered him about his whereabouts for the next hour or so.

                She’d also asked why so early, and he could only shrug – but it was so not for this.

                Sungyeol’s hair was a blubbering mess and, if it could talk, it’d beg to stay back in the house where no one within a visible distance could see it. He was still wearing his plaid red pajama pants and that one atrocious turquoise crewneck his aunt had given him in the eleventh grade.

                There was so much regret in his appearance and he could physically feel it radiating off of him.

                “So, what’s our mission for today?”

                Sungyeol slowly turned his neck, eyes glaring evilly at his project partner. “Woohyun, I’m going to strangle you.”

                Because how the hell did the guy manage to deck himself all out in perfect blue skinny jeans, a soft gray sweater, and a clean black blazer at 7:30 AM on a Saturday morning?

                And not to mention the ing Hello Morning smile plastered on his face.

                “You look like a hot mess.”

                “Haha, thanks,” Sungyeol scoffed out sarcastically, flaring his nostrils at his friend. “You .”

                “You never care about what you look like though,” Woohyun pointed out as he took the seat beside Sungyeol, carefully laying down his brand name leather brown backpack. “Why today of all days?”

                Sungyeol let the side of his head slowly lay down on his propped left hand. He coughed as loud as he could in a library, then lifted his eyebrows for the other to acknowledge what was behind him.

                “Oh. Oh.” Woohyun seemed to take notice of the figure sitting beside Sungyeol, the boy who was back-straight, eyebrows furrowed, fingers typing and backspacing on the computer a few seats down. “Oh I know him, he’s the kid from Sungjong’s class – his name’s Kim Myungsoo. But he’s cute, you should talk to him.”

                “No!”

                “Sungyeol, please. It’s the least you can do.”

                “Least I can do for who?”

                “For yourself.” Woohyun rolled his eyes and pushed his seat closer in. “Please, half the time at school all you do is mope around about being single and when there’s anyone you like, you can’t even build the courage to talk to them!”

                “But –“

                “Go say hi,” Woohyun hissed, gripping onto his friend’s wrist and turning him around. Woohyun wasn’t usually a persistent person, or a meanie head at that, but sometimes when he got fed up over the top, he would burst and turn into…this.          

                “I look like a mess –“

                “Some guys dig the natural look.”

                “Yeah, but not the hey-I-just-woke-up-please-admire-my-unbrushed-teeth look.”

                Woohyun could only beam at him, and Sungyeol oppressed the urge to fake an aneurysm to get out of this.

                “You .”

                “You’ll thank me in the near future.”

                Sungyeol only sighed and looked down at his hands, probably the only cleaned part of him. “Just let me…think about what I’m going to say.”

 

“Hi.”

                The boy looked up, face breaking into a grin. Oh God he was cute, so, so cute.

                “Hi!”

                Sungyeol could feel his insane heart shatter into a million pieces, and then he was sure those broken feelings were laughing at his too-red cheeks. “Uh…I noticed you over there and you looked, um, pretty lonely. I guess. Not like you’re lonely or anything, but you were just sitting alone, and maybe you like being alone I can’t really judge cos being alone’s kinda what I like to do too but uhhhhh…I’m Sungyeol.”

                “I’m Myungsoo,” the guy – Myungsoo, obviously – laughed back. “I’m just trying to finish this term paper so I can turn it in before the deadline. It’s pretty lonely I guess, but I’m living through it.”

                “Oh. Oh, I’d love to join you if you don’t mind!” Sungyeol insisted, pulling the chair beside Myungsoo and sitting down quite unattractively. He wasn’t much of a pleasant sitter as he was a squatter.

                “Don’t you have your own friend…?” Myungsoo motioned over to Woohyun who was leaning off the seat provocatively, giving Sungyeol a who said what look.

                “You were watching me too, weren’t you? That’s Woohyun, he’s more of a loser than a friend.” Sungyeol could feel himself becoming increasingly more comfortable in Myungsoo’s presence, the younger’s ignored schoolwork and warm smile dragging him into a cave of undeniable feels. “But if you’d like, we can stop by for some coffee or something later on. I’m feeling a little under the weather, if my clothes kinda…you know, give it away.”

                “Coffee sounds nice!”

 

A quick coffee date and two unfinished projects later, Sungyeol found himself telling Myungsoo the story about his dead goldfish that committed suicide via deathly jump out of bowl. It was a memory he never liked to visit, but something about Myungsoo drew him in enough to reveal the deepest parts of him.

                “We had so many plans, too,” Sungyeol mourned, feeling up the coffee cup with his index fingers. “I didn’t even get to take a ‘wow new pet’ selca with him yet, and he just…he just died.”

                It was so, so obvious that Myungsoo was trying to keep in his laughter, but he still managed to do so as he patted Sungyeol on the back. “It’s okay, I got a cat when I was 6 and I was so psyched to play with her, only to realize that she had a general thing against humans. So it’s kinda the same thing.”

                “Pets that don’t last .”

                “Amen to that,” Myungsoo commented. “Humans that don’t stay too.”       

                “Are you implying that I’m gonna leave?” Sungyeol lifted his eyes from the worn out wooden table and onto Myungsoo’s suggestive eyes.

                “Are you implying that we’re gonna go far enough for me to be upset that you’re gonna leave?” Myungsoo retorted, raising his eyebrows and taking a slow sip of his sweetened mocha frap.

                “Would me asking you out to see my concert be a good enough answer for that?”

                “So you play instruments too,” Myungsoo nodded, putting his elbows on the table and leaning closer in. “That’s kinda a turn on.”

                “I’m actually the MC.”

                “…I get to see a lot of you, still a turn on.”

                Sungyeol could only laugh, and Myungsoo just leaned back and finished the rest of his drink.

 

“I used to play the guitar.”

                “Used to?” Sungyeol asked, opening a cupboard that held more than enough instruments to supply a band.

                It was probably a week or so later and they were backstage at the 20th annual Teen Talents Concert where Sungyeol was giving Myungsoo a maybe more than actually needed tour of the place.

                “Yeah,” Myungsoo shrugged. “I quit cos of school, but I still miss it a lot…it’s not like I can’t play it, I still have my guitar, I just don’t have that much time for it.”

                “Oh. If it helps, you’re welcome to try any of these –“

                “I couldn’t, they’re not mine and that’s like stealing –“

                “It’s not, trust me.” Sungyeol leaned in and pulled out a black coated acoustic guitar. “Here, this is my friend’s. He won’t mind at all.”

                Myungsoo took it hesitantly, allowing the strap to slowly come over his body. “If you’re sure…”

                “I am.”

                It only took a few breaths for the younger to manage to pluck out a few strings. A slow smile began to form on his face, and he felt himself moving to the rhythm. “I remember stuff!”

                There were a few more moments of playing until Myungsoo finally stopped, noticing the awkward texture in his fingers after not having touched guitar strings in a good few months. He sighed, lifting it off his chest and handing it back carefully to Sungyeol with a somewhat sad smile.

                “You’re really good, you know,” Sungyeol said, taking it back and placing it where it belonged.

                “Thanks, it’s been a while. And um, thanks for letting me play it…kinda reminds me of way back when.”

                “Nostalgia hits, and when it does, it hits hard,” Sungyeol agreed. “But hey, we can make new good memories with guitars, right?”

                Myungsoo was almost scared to ask, but when he looked up at Sungyeol, he could feel the answer. “…How exactly?”

                “Teach me.”

                “To play the guitar??”

                “No, to play the harmonica.”

                “Uh, yeah, I can’t really teach you ‘cause I don’t really play myself –“

                “The guitar, Myungsoo. Teach me how to play the guitar.”

                “Oh. Oh yeah, okay, that, that I can do.”

 

“What.”

                “The aquarium,” Myungsoo beamed pulling two tickets out of his pocket and sliding it over the café table. “Remember your fish story? Well, it took me all night to think about, but I came up with a decision for my date night; the aquarium. That way, you can take selcas with as many fishes as you’d like to. Sure, they won’t be ‘new-pet’ ones, but you’ll have so many, you couldn’t even count how much.”

                Sungyeol slid his fingers over the two rectangular pieces of cardstock, thinking to himself. This was all so new, really new, and he didn’t know how to approach it or even how to react to it.

                Someone actually took heed to his fish story.

                Someone actually cared about his fish story.

                Someone actually wanted him to feel better about his fish story.

                No one ever understood how pained he was when his precious goldfish decided to rid its existence from earth, not even Daeyeol and the fish was half his. But here came Kim Myungsoo, master of making all good things feel painful, slowly inching his way into Sungyeol’s heart.

                Oh it, he was already all the way in.

                “You’re amazing,” Sungyeol couldn’t help but choke out.

                “They’re just tickets –“

                “Thank you…so much.”

                “Sungyeol, it’s just an aquarium…but you’re welcome. It was my pleasure.”

 

“…and then some kid had the audacity to tell me that my joke wasn’t good.” Sungyeol rolled his eyes, leaning back on the driver’s seat and adjusting his place. He was driving Myungsoo’s car and the first time he’d attempted it was on the ride home from the aquarium, but now, four days later, he wasn’t really getting anywhere.

                “I’m sorry,” Myungsoo tried smiling. “Some people really , don’t they?”

                “At least have the politeness to laugh,” the older spat out, stopping the car at a red light. “Seriously, what’s up with people these days?”

                There was an apologetic look at Myungsoo’s face and he was struggling to find a way to cheer his boyfriend (was that what they were? Boyfriends? He didn’t even know, to be honest). Slowly, he reached for the CD player and turned the volume up increment by increment.

                “And I just, I don’t even wanna try with people like that anymore. If they don’t want happiness in jokes, that’s fine by me, there’s nothing I can do about it –“

                He stopped talking, then looked over at Myungsoo with wide eyes. The lyrics played behind him and he slowly realized what was playing.

                She was covered in leather and gold, 21 years old, I lost her in the cold…it’s unfair, she’s out there…

                “You listen to Bruno Mars?”

                “Well, no,” Myungsoo admitted, “but I love this song. It’s so catchy and –“

                Talking halted, the younger looked over to where Sungyeol was sitting, slowly rocking out to the song and singing it word by word, not caring that the light had turned green and that there was a speed limit.

                “SomeWHEREEE somewheRE somewheeere in Brooklyn; she’s someWHEEERE somewheeere someWHere in Brooklyyyyyyn!”

                Myungsoo clutched onto the side of the chair to keep himself from bursting a lung from all the laughing he was bottling up.

                “C’mon!” Sungyeol stopped for a second, letting go of the steering wheel with his right hand to nudge Myungsoo. “You said you loved this song! Sing with me!”

                Myungsoo allowed Sungyeol to have the next few lines solo until he finally came in, and the two of them couldn’t be stopped by the loud music.

                “…OOOooooOOOOoooo, next stop BROOKLYYYYN!”  

 

“I know what we can be for Halloween.”

                “No,” Myungsoo felt himself saying before he could let his boyfriend finish. “We are never listening to you again after what happened last year –“

                “Oh c’mon!” Sungyeol insisted, walking over Myungsoo’s kitchen’s island to the other side. “We can reuse our outfits from last year too! Recycle –“

                “OHHHH nonononono, I am in no way being a robot again,” Myungsoo said, putting his foot down. No matter how many 2 year anniversaries they were going to go through, there was absolutely no way he was going to sit there and let Sungyeol mess with his physical reputation with outfits for Halloween.

                “LEGOS.”

                “NO.”

                “WE CAN BE LEGO PEOPLE.”

                “NO.”

                “MYUNGSOO I LOVE YOU.”

                Myungsoo gave his boyfriend the most heartless, shut-eyed smile he could muster and said, “No.”

                “But please –“

                “Sungyeol.”

                It took that much for Sungyeol to realize how adamant Myungsoo was about not being a Lego person for Halloween and so he sighed, grabbing a bottle of apple juice with him and walking into the living room in absolute distress.

                But lo and behold on October 31st, standing right outside Sungyeol’s doorway was Kim Myungsoo dressed from head to toe in boxes.

                “Myungsoo…”

                “Stop it,” the younger sighed, trying to figure out how to step properly in the cardboard. “I love you and I know you like this stuff so…I’m sorry. Lego people?”

                Sungyeol grinned, eyes bright and wide. “LEGO PEOPLE.”

 

This was it.

                This was the moment they were waiting for, they were ready. Were they? Yes. Were they sure? Kinda. Really sure?

                “Yeah, I’m sure,” Myungsoo breathed out.

                His apartment was empty, all signs of him gone and shoved away into boxes beyond boxes. It looked just the way he’d bought it years back and he couldn’t believe he was leaving it.

                “You ready?” Sungyeol tenderly asked from the doorway. “The moving van is all set.”

                “Yeah…just let me take this in for a while…I can’t believe we’re actually going to move in together.”

                Sungyeol bit his lips and opened his arms wide. “We’re doing it – we’re ready and we’re gonna take the next step. You up for it?”

                Myungsoo slowly walked into his boyfriend’s arms and they let each other dwell in their presence for a good while.

                Only they soon discovered that no, no, they were not ing ‘up for it’ because who knew what went where and whose was what and this was his but that was also his and the blender belonged in the kitchen not the bathroom, but the toothpaste belongs in the bathroom but not the living room.

                “What’re we doing, honestly. This is all a mess. I’m a mess. We’re a mess.”

                “We were always a mess,” Sungyeol laughed, crashing onto the cough beside his exhausted boyfriend. “How about this, let’s stop for a while, pull out the bedroom stuff, and just chill there and figure out the rest of the crap tomorrow?”

                “No.”

                “What?”

                “I refuse to unpack the bedroom stuff.”

 

“Hey Myungsoo.

                “Myungsoo.

                “Myungsoo answer me.

                “Myungsoo”

                Massaging his temples for the sixtieth time that day, Myungsoo turned around in his swivel chair and gave Sungyeol a hard, hard stare.

                “What.”

                “I know you’re busy with your high incorporation stuff and all that, but I kinda need help with my project.”

                “Your project. You need help with your project. I have presentations set up for the next six weeks, do you have any idea how much of a time constraint I’m in at the moment –“

                “Please, Myungsoo. I know you have a more important job than me and all that crap but – please?”

                “The things I put up with,” the younger growled beneath his breath but still getting up and walking over to his boyfriend’s side of the office room.

                “I just need you to read this over real quick,” Sungyeol motioned to the screen he was standing in front of. “Oh awk wait think I dropped my pencil let me get that –“

                Myungsoo pushed himself over Sungyeol’s bent body, reading over four large words out loud in the most confusing voice he had.

                “Will you…marry me? Sungyeol –“

                And when he looked down, there was Lee Sungyeol on one knee with a diamond ring in both hands and the most sincerely genuine smile.

                “Kim Myungsoo, you literally mean the world to me and I know we had that agreement about no ‘proposals’ but I wanted to make you feel special and –“

                “YEEESS!!!” Myungsoo screamed, throwing himself down to crash the two of them onto the ground, the ring box slapping shut and rolling away beneath some unknown chair.  

                After at least three minutes of intensified hugging (and probably a lot more than a few kisses), Sungyeol managed to say, “I had an entire speech planned, you know.”

                “I know that was the ring I bought to propose to you with, so you can just shut up and go with it.”

                “That works.”

 

“41…42! SEE MYUNGSOO, I STILL HAVE ALL 42 TEETH!”

                Myungsoo pushed himself up with his cane, shaking his head at his nearly deaf husband. “Humans don’t have 42 teeth, Sungyeol.”

                “WHAT WAS THAT.”

                “HUMANS DON’T HAVE THAT MANY TEETH,” Myungsoo hollered into Sungyeol’s ear. “ESPECIALLY NOT 75 YEAR OLDS.”

                “YOU’RE JUST JEALOUS.”

                “I’M A YEAR YOUNGER THAN YOU, PLEASE.”

                “WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE AT THE SAME TIME!”

                “Geez, don’t need to sound so happy about it.”

                “WHAT WAS THAT.”

                “NOTHING.”

                “DID YOU SAY I LOVE YOU?”

                “NO – FINE, YEAH, YEAH SURE, I LOVE YOU. EVEN THOUGH YOU’RE AN OLD PRICK.”

                “JUST AS OLD AS YOU ARE.”

               

“Sungyeol. Sungyeol. Sungyeol. HEY, HEY, HEY. CUT THAT OUT.”

                There was a huge smack on Sungyeol’s head and he fixed his dazed mind as he stared at Woohyun. “…What?”

                “I said talk to him,” Woohyun hissed, feeling the need to clarify himself with heavily punctuated words, “not imagine the rest of your life with him. You guys haven’t even MET yet Sungyeol, holy ing . Stop being a crazy weirdo. I honestly know no one else that even does anything close to that. Seriously, get a grip on yourself!”

 

Three seats down, Myungsoo hit the last period in his keyboard.

                Well, .

                This wasn’t the essay on the Effects of Imperialism on South Africa, this was literally his fantasy life. Sungjong would kill him if he saw what Myungsoo had just spent the last two hours typing up, especially after the countless amounts of hours the older already wasted fawning over Lee Sungyeol’s existence.

                He read the entire last paragraph once again in his head, slowly saying each word.

                No matter how old either of them were, no matter how many dentures they’d had implanted, no matter how many years they had left, Sungyeol and Myungsoo would always love each other with no doubt in mind. 

                And just as he highlighted the entire ing 5 page document to backspace it all, he saw a shadow approach him slowly and cautiously.

                “…Hi, I’m Lee Sungyeol.”   

 

ps this was pretty much entirely inspired by this comic  that a certain someone found the link to so thx bb 

woohoo im so tired rn u have no idea but ilyguys youre the bomb.com and yeah

LEGGO TO BED NOW 

[[cc:4]]

i am typing in the dark and my keyboard is not illuminated by lights so there are prob 685 typos in the a/n alone idek ILY AND HAVE A GREAT TUESDAY SLASH WEDNESDAY ♥♥