Coming Out Of The Closet

MyungYeol One-Shot Collection

 

A day late but who even cares because Kim Sunggyu.

Myungsoo kept widening his eyes, forcing himself to stay awake and no slump his head down directly into the plate of you’re-not-allowed-to-eat-until-after-the-speech dinner.

                When enough air got in them to sting, Myungsoo shut them and held in a very long yawn. The only problem was, yawns weren’t exactly “appropriate” so he ended up pressing his lips together with his eyes squeezed shut and the most disgusting expression on his face.

                All in all, it didn’t end up too well. He sat there aimlessly with tears streaming down his face, looking like he’d just watched some sappy Korean drama.

                “Myungsoo?” His mom had turned around to face him when she’d heard the sniffling noises coming from her son. The announcer from the front of the table kept blabbing about some thankful shat. “Are you okay? What happened?”

                “I think something got in my eye, that’s all,” he shook his head. The ladies around the table that he didn’t recognize just cooed at how totally adorable a crying Kim Myungsoo was. “Do you…do you think I can go to the bathroom right now?”

                His mother had a hesitating look on her face as she nodded, knowing full well that it wasn’t “appropriate” to leave the dining table when the host was giving a speech, but she didn’t want to be known as the mother that had a bawling kid.

                Myungsoo let out an invisible breath of relief, shoving his chair back and wiping his eyes before walking around to find the damn bathroom.

 

Sungyeol bloated his cheeks before sticking his tongue between his lips and blowing the air out. The white ball in his right hand kept hitting the opposite wall to where his back was laid against, and he kept failing to catch it.

                It wasn’t that he was a terrible catcher, it was just that the closet was pitch black. Well, really, all closed closets were dark.

                He could smell the faint traces of each person’s cloak, though this was only the first hallway closet out of many aligning the house. It wasn’t all too fun, really, to be crouched up in a closet wearing a full-garment suit.

                Listening carefully with his ear pressed against the door, Sungyeol could tell that his uncle was still giving that boring speech that nobody ever had the ability to stay awake for.

                He kept throwing the ball and not catching it, then going on a chase to find it, for the next fifty minutes.

 

“These shoes are stupid,” Myungsoo muttered, not having had the time to break into his “fancy” shoes this morning. Or the clothes either. Yeah, the clothes were the worst.

                Knowing full well that he was alone, Myungsoo pulled at the tie in order to get it separated from his neck. He was very well aware that if he touched his skin, there would be a nice red and purple bruise right there.

                He hated ties. And dressing up, too, for that matter.

                Which was why he had absolutely refused to go on this dinner banquet with his parents. They’d gone to millions without him, what was the point of bringing him to this one?!

                His mom had begged him to, saying that all the couples were bringing their children. What even, his mother only came to these stupid things to brag. Every month there would be another $500 USD dress, new heels, new jewelry; all the women did this. You couldn’t be caught dead wearing the same dress that you’d worn four years prior, or even a bracelet of so.

                Myungsoo’s father, on the other hand, was like every other man in that dinner room. Wore the same suit about every month, changing only the next year. The only reason they went was to accompany their boastful and despiteful wives.

                Which was why Myungsoo had no idea why his mom had dragged him along – she was already ruining his dad’s day, why ruin his, too?!

                He’d tried asking her, she said something about the hosts having their nephew over. That right there became a reason for all the couples attending to drag along their children, grandchildren, nephew or niece, any child or teenager they could grasp their hands onto.

                Myungsoo had been this close to jumping out of his bedroom window to break an arm or something and never have to go. But it didn’t matter, his mom would pull him to the hospital and then to the Lee household.

                “Bathroom…” Myungsoo looked around the hallways at the golden white doors. This was a house, a mansion really, which was nothing like a building. It didn’t have labels.

                Though that would make everything so much easier for him.

                He kept walking from door to door to check if any of them were bathrooms – all of them were locked, leading Myungsoo to think if the hosts went around locking every single room (and there were an absolute ton) so nobody could check on them about anything.

                There was one door that was slightly ajar, leading Myungsoo to smile in triumph – the bathroom! Not that he even had to go, it was just a very good reason not to die in that other room.

                Just as he reached out his arm to open it, the door shut by itself immediately.

 

Sungyeol breathed faster than ever, clutching onto his chest. He’d only opened the door to breathe, and he couldn’t even do that without being bothered!

                Besides. This was the facking fifth floor, what the freak was anybody even doing up here?! The dining room was on ground floor, for Pete’s sake!

                His sweaty palm hung onto the doorknob as he felt it turn from the other side. In his mind he kept praying, begging that the person would just go and leave him alone. If anybody found out that he’d found shelter in a freaking closet, his aunt and uncle would be informed and he’d be screwed to death.

                Besides, the reason his parents sent him here was to learn “manners” or whatever.

                On the other end, the person let go of the doorknob, letting Sungyeol finally allow his mind to clear from paranoid thoughts.

                Then the knocking began.

                Two times, a pause, then another three.

                Sungyeol felt like he was about to cry, this was his closet for Pete’s sake! He didn’t want to go outside and face the scary mean people.

                “Um, is anybody even in here?” Myungsoo asked before letting his hand separate from the door, rubbing his sore knuckles.

                That was honestly a stupid question because, duh, there was somebody in there. How else could the door have completely shut on its own?

                And there was the obvious breathing.

                Whoever was on the other side in the bathroom was breathing as fast as , like he was gonna do or some shat. That, on its own, scared Myungsoo to no end.

                “Hey, are you okay? I’m not gonna hurt you, I swear. I just need to go to the bathroom.”

                Sungyeol’s eyebrows furrowed as his nose scrunched up.

                Bathroom?
                “…This is a closet, you know.”

                There was a somewhat strangling noise from the other side, and the person said, “Well, I didn’t even need to go to the bathroom anyways…hey, wait, what are you even doing in a closet?”

                Well, way to ruin the right hand Sungyeol had over the guy – if that person was even a guy, it could’ve been a girl with a super deep voice.

                All he knew was that it wasn’t his uncle or aunt, that kept him satisfied enough. This couldn’t have been an adult either, unless that certain adult hadn’t gone through puberty yet.

                From the other side, Myungsoo just raised his eyebrows in suspicion. Okay, some creepy person hiding in a closet. This was the part where he was supposed to be freaked out, right?

                He heard the doorknob turning and took a good step back, allowing it to open the same amount that it had been when he’d first seen it.

                Slowly, a white ball rolled out from the opening. Despite Myungsoo’s paranoia, he bent down to pick the ball up before the door opened nearly halfway.

                When he looked up, he was staring at the most pitiful boy he’d ever seen in his life.

                The boy had a very vivid pout on his lips and his long, long legs were crouched up to fit against the other wall. His eyes were opened wide, plucking the ball from Myungsoo’s hands before focusing his attention on it.

                “It’s scary out there.”

                Myungsoo wanted to laugh because, for one thing, it wasn’t scary, it was just boring as hell. And second, the guy was such a cutie saying it.

                “Well, if it counts for anything, I made myself cry for an excuse to leave the place and find a bathroom.”

                The boy cracked a small grin, but it fell as he looked up to Myungsoo’s face. “Do you see this? Do you see it?!”

                Myungsoo’s eyes followed the strange boy’s finger up to his hair. “…Yeah?”

                “My aunt forced me to go to a hairdresser for four hours to perfect this stupid stuff. And then what happens? The first lady that marches through the damn door decides to mess it all up! Like, what even!”

                “…So you ran into the closet and hid?”

                “Before my uncle could make that boring speech again, yeah.”

                “Oh, that’s your uncle?” Myungsoo tilted his head, somehow everything making sense now. “You’re Lee Sungyeol, right?”

                Sungyeol’s eyes narrowed, glaring at Myungsoo from the side. “How on earth do you know my name?”

                “You’re the reason I was dragged here, that’s how.”

                “…I was…what?!” Sungyeol’s eyes widened, dropping the ball to clutch onto Myungsoo’s vest (which cost a ton of cash, but who the freak even cared he was gonna go home and shred the freaking thing anyway). “I’m getting married to you, aren’t I? This was an arranged marriage trick, I knew it! There had to be a reason my parents sent me here, I was gonna get married –“

                “What, hold, no! I think you’ve been watching too many dramas.” Myungsoo laughed, grabbing Sungyeol’s wrists from the soul reaping suit. “If that were true, you’d have to get married to all the other 60 teenagers down there.”

                “…There are more of you?”

                “Not more of me, dimwit, more of…well, basically, more kids. All the couples your uncle and aunt invited brought their kids along.”

                “…Why? Oh God, I heard they do this every month. That’s why those girls were there, I thought they just came because they wanted to dress up. They make you go too?! My heart goes out to you, I’m serious –“

                Sungyeol’s heartfelt connection was broken when Myungsoo laughed again, which was an honestly beautiful sound.

                “No, I told you, we only came because the hosts were dragging along a kid so everybody else thought it’d be right to drag along their own kid, too.”

                “Oh.” Sungyeol’s face fell for a second, not sure what he was supposed to apologize for now.

                “Yeah,  oh. But now all you’re doing in rotting in a closet, so I’m really doubting why I had to come.”

                Sungyeol’s blank face was replaced with a rather apologetic one. “Look, if you were me, you would’ve hidden in a closet too, alright? They wouldn’t even know I was missing, gosh.”

                Finally letting go of his hold on Sungyeol’s wrist, Myungsoo just rolled his eyes and said, “My point exactly. I’m Kim Myungsoo, by the way.”

                “OH!” Sungyeol felt his wrists grow hot at where Myungsoo had just held them, leading the latter to think something weird was going on.

                “…Is there something about my name that I should know about?”

                “The girls!” Sungyeol cried, holding his hands up high in that “I should’ve known!” way. “So a few hours ago before I went on my refugee spree I saw some of the guests, there was this group of girls talking about a guy named ‘Kim Myungsoo’ that was coming and they were very surprised about that. And excited, for that matter. Apparently you’re very popular at their school and everybody wants to be your girlfriend.”

                He smiled, patting Myungsoo’s leg.

                Myungsoo had seen a few girls that attended his school at the long table, but none of them had bothered to come up and say hi to him (that didn’t really even matter though, when Myungsoo had come he’d been mad enough to kill somebody).

                “…not going to your school,” Sungyeol shrugged, and that was all Myungsoo could get of what the other boy had said.

                “What?”

                “I said, I’m glad I’m not going to your school then. It’d be a pity to actually be fond of you right now and hate you when I get to school.” Sungyeol sighed again, sitting up properly.

                “Wait, what? So you’re not gonna…you know what, never mind. What school are you even going to, then?”

                “I’m being homeschooled,” Sungyeol said, looking down at his fingers. “My parents sent me here to learn manners, not to make friends.”

                “Yet here you are, making friends!” Myungsoo couldn’t help it, he had to point out the lame irony of it.

                “No, here I was, hiding in a closet.”

                “Same difference.”

                Sungyeol thought for a second, then started, “You know what I never understood? That phrase, ‘same difference’. Doesn’t that cancel everything out? Like, it’s the same, but it’s different.”

                “Now you’re just talking nonsense.”

                The obviously taller boy pursed his lips before replying, “Yeah, you see, this is why I stay in closets.”

 

Their plan had been absolutely flawless, Myungsoo would leave a few minutes after Sungyeol did. They’d both return to their seats, which were basically across the entire dining table from each other, and act like they’d never even met.

                If his mom had asked him what took him so long in the bathroom, Myungsoo would just say that it took forever to find it – because it did, and he realized after a while that he never even did find the bathroom.

                Sungyeol didn’t really need a plan because nobody would really even notice that he disappeared.

                Except every part of that completely failed.

                It was that time of the dinner date again, the part where one person decided to start talking about how their child was the first in line for valedictorian, and the other would backfire that their child was #1 at their school for three years in a row, and so on.

                The host of the party was about to interrupt and talk about how her totally amazing nephew had skipped a three grades in math and a year school, all still at the #3 ranking when she realized that her nephew wasn’t even there.

                And about a minute later, a certain mother was about to begin bragging about how her to-die-for son had won homecoming prince two years in a row, prom once, and was the star of the team’s lacrosse team when she realized that her son wasn’t even there.

               

“Yah…yah! Sungyeol’s gone!” The host whispered to her husband as he was talking about South Korea’s elections to about three other men that were forced to look engrossed in the conversation.

                “What?” He turned around, not caring about the people he was talking to because they didn’t even care about what he was talking about. “Where’d he go?”

                “I don’t know! He’s not here –“

                “Well, go look for him!”

                Biting her lip in worry, she nodded and began searching the room for her nephew. She tried thinking of the last time she saw him, which was actually when the party had started and nobody was even settled yet.

                She shook her head in worry before grabbing the nearest women to her, somebody wearing a pale blue dress.

                “Have you seen a boy, he’s very tall, looks 17 years old, wearing a navy blue suit? His hair’s black…” She racked her memory, yelling at herself for not remembering any other defines of her own nephew.

                “You’re missing somebody, too?!” The other woman cried frantically. “My son’s gone, he’s also tall but he’s wearing a black suit!”

                They both just stared at each other, scared to their wit’s end when one of the two missing boys simply sauntered up to them.

                He blinked from woman to woman, then said, “Hey…”

                “Sungyeol!” The host half-shouted, hugging the boy harder than ever. “I thought you were missing, I didn’t –“

                “Have you seen my son?! He’s tall, 17, wearing a black suit – his name’s Kim Myungsoo!”

                Sungyeol just moved his eyes around at the familiar name, shrugging. “I – I don’t-t know b – because you know…”

                “He said he was going to the bathroom, should I check what bathroom he’s in –“

                “Hey, Mom.”

                The older boy just slightly shook his head, mentally rolling his eyes at the calm voice compared to the screaming woman’s voice.

                “OH MY GAWD, Kim Myungsoo, I swear you gave me a heart attack! Where were you, you little nitwit – “

                “Okay, calm down,” Myungsoo laughed, putting his hands in his pockets. “I got lost trying to find the bathroom – oh, right, Madam, you’re the host of the party, am I correct? Your house is absolutely beautiful, I got a chance to observe it on my journey to the restroom.”

                Sungyeol just kept silent, still scoffing at how polite Myungsoo was being.

                “You need manners like him,” his aunt’s voice crept behind his neck, heating it up in the most uncomfortable way in the entire freaking world.

                Manners. Because walking up to a stranger in a closet was considered manners.

                “You’re a darling!” His aunt said aloud, grabbing onto Sungyeol’s arm to bring him closer to Myungsoo. “This is my nephew, have you two met yet? Oh, silly me, of course not! This is Lee Sungyeol.”

                Sungyeol just gave his aunt a subtle mad look that only Myungsoo could notice, then turned to the other boy. “Hi.”

                When Myungsoo took his hand, Sungyeol practically froze up because Gawd was his hand warm. And it was probably the softest thing he’d ever touched, not counting those free cotton blankets his mom had once stolen from a hotel in Japan.

                “Pleasure to meet you,” Myungsoo smiled, although they both knew he mean “Pleasure to meet you formally and not in a closet”.

                Thinking quickly, Sungyeol’s aunt shoved the boy into Myungsoo, saying, “Hurry up, why don’t you go and show Myungsoo around? It’s only…oh, it’s only 7:50, you have until midnight at the least, right, darling?”

                When Myungsoo’s mom realized that the host was speaking to her, she nodded quickly and said, “Yes, yes! Take as long of a time as you want, tomorrow’s Sunday and you have no school!”

                The way his aunt was staring at him, Sungyeol got the “maybe his manners will rub off on you so we don’t have to teach you them” feeling and, nevertheless, that was his aunt’s ingenious plan.

                “C’mon,” he growled, pulling Myungsoo the other direction where most people weren’t headed.

                It wasn’t too hard, the two noticed, for him to drag Myungsoo because they were still holding hands.

 

“Your aunt irks me” was the first phrase Myungsoo said to Sungyeol when the two of them started walking outside. It was freezing, but they were out there mostly because Sungyeol was persistent to go against his aunt’s wishes and not show Myungsoo around.            

                “Why? What’d she ever do to you?”

                “One, she thinks I have good manners –“

                “You do, and was she that loud?”

                “No I don’t, and yes, yes she was.” Myungsoo took a large step, swinging his arm, which basically made Sungyeol’s arm jump, too.

                “I know, I just met her and I’m dreading living here.” Sungyeol stuck out his tongue, taking in the cold air.

                “Why are you even here?”

                “You know how she and my uncle hosts all those parties? Yeah, you have to be really ‘elegant’ to do those, don’t you? Well, long story short, I got these horrible grades in my report card for self-control, probably because there wasn’t a grade for respect, and there was this parent conference. I went to a private school, you see, this super elite one that nobody really liked at all. But they gave my parents this long rant about how I had to be able to respect people to be able to go to this school, blah, blah, blah. And you know what my dad did?”

                “…He sent you here.”

                “Exactly. I mean, it’s not like I don’t have respect, I just had no respect for them!” Sungyeol rolled his eyes, a fringe of his hair falling down onto his forehead. He was about to take his right hand and push it off, but it was occupied, so he resolved for his left.

                “Fake respect, it’s easy.” Myungsoo stopped walking for a second, making a funny face at his new friend. “Why are we even talking about respect?”

                “Why are we even holding hands?” Sungyeol snapped back, just for measures if they were talking about what didn’t make sense at the moment.       

                “Um, because we can?” Myungsoo said, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. “Remember, you’re supposed to be my fiancé –“

                “Look, that was a mistake, okay? Stop shoving it in my face.” Whether he liked it or not, Sungyeol’s face was still super red and embarrassed at the recall of what happened only 15 minutes ago.

                “I’m not! If it makes you feel any better, I’d be fine with you being my fiancé.”

                “WELL IT DOESN’T – wait, would you really be okay with it? Wait, no, why am I even asking this? First friend I make here is some weirdo who wants to marry me –“

                “Hey, in my defense, you were the one that asked me to marry you.”

                “I didn’t! It was a mistake, alright, a mistake!”

                Myungsoo laughed for about the millionth time that day, evading Sungyeol’s hand that was ready to hit him. “Okay, fine. How about we go on a date before you become my fiancé?”

                At the sound of that, Sungyeol’s face went pale. “What?! Are you serious right now?! Like – what – I’m not even gay!”

                Shrugging, Myungsoo kept walking. “You came out of the closet already, no need to lie to me.”

                “Wait, what does that even – oh c’mon, you use the worst analogies – wait, why the freak are you even asking me out? You don’t even know me!”

                “Yes or no, because I’d really love to brag to my friends that I have a psycho boyfriend whose relatives hold y parties and that’s the reason he’s trapped inside the house twenty-four-seven.”

                “Yes, but what?! I’m not psycho – and hold, did you just call me your boyfriend? The parties aren’t y – okay, they are, but – what?!” Everything was just swirling around Sungyeol’s mind and, honestly, he was more confused than ever.

                “Wouldn’t it be pretty awesome to say I was the one that made a boy come out of the closet on our first meeting? It’s, like, love at first –“              

                “Stop using that analogy!” Sungyeol pouted. “I was supposed to spend my evening in there, okay?”

                “I wouldn’t say it’s an analogy, I’d rather use – “

                “You have no manners, I hope you realize that.”

                Myungsoo just chuckled, nodding. “I’m very well aware of it. So yes or no?”

                “Yes, but nothing about me coming out of the closet –“

                “But that’s the best part!”

 

the oneshot's weird, but who even cares because Kim Sunggyu.

I absolutely hate fancy parties, I hope that was obvious enough. Except I can't hide in closets the entire duration of it and find my soulmate. /cries/

I started writing this last night but then...like...I got caught up with this one Woogyu fic, and I couldn't post this earlier because I was basically dead to the world for about four hours sleeping.

but you know what freaking woke me up.

my friend calls me, and she's like HEYHEYHEYHEY EVIE SUNGGYU SUNGGYU SUNGGYU. Yeah I woke up and kicked my laptop and now my foot has this huge bruise BUT WHO EVEN CARES BECAUSE KIM SUNGGYU.

UGHHHH DID YOU WATCH THE MV YET BECUASE KIM SUNGGYU AND KIM MYUNGSOO OKAY. I was literally crying and telling myself to breathe at the same time and when Myungsoo kissed the girl I was like ahem Yeollie's gonna be very pissed at you Myungie. just a helpful tip.

OKAY THAT WAS LONG BECAUSE KIM SUNGGYU. <3 keke byebye ^^ hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving break~ ^^ if you have one :3

[[c:8]]