Back To Where It Once Was

Back To December.

“Dad? Are you home?” asked Jessica as she ran up the stairway. “Dad?” She went through all the rooms and finally stopped at the study room. Her dad was having a look on the files when Jessica made her way to him.

 

“Anything? Sweetheart?” he asked. He noticed the sad expression she had on her face. Something is not right. He stepped towards her as she let herself slowly slid into his embrace. “Hey sweetie—calm down. Just tell daddy what happened, okay?” he softly patted her back.

 

“Dad—you’ve got to believe me—I met mum just now.” She tilted her head up and glared into her dad’s eyes. “You will believe me, won’t you?”

 

He looked down in confusion, “Your—your mum?” he sounded anxious, “Where?”

 

Right after she told him the location, she continued, “But she doesn’t seem to recognize me at all—I walked up to her but she broke our hug and accused me that I’ve got the wrong person—”

 

“Wait—wait Jessie. I’m not following you.” Her dad motioned her to the seat and asked her for more information, “Would you mind telling me more about it?”

 

/

 

“Oh Hae—Jessie’s is in her room. I’m pretty sure you know which—” said Jessica’s dad as he opened up the door. “Anyway I gotta go—take care of her well.” He tapped on his shoulder before he left.

 

“Sure I will—” answered Donghae politely.

 

“Take me to this address—” he passed a small note which consisted of the address that he got from Jessica earlier to the driver.

 

/

 

Donghae knocked on the door before he stepped into the room, “Sica?” He moved closer and sat next to Jessica who was lying on the bed. She looked absolutely different from the girl, who was delightful in the morning,

 

“I heard about it—” he started and wrapped his arm around Jessica’s shoulder. He constantly patted her arm as she brushed her head against her chest.

 

“Hae—does she hate me that much?” she said, still sobbing quietly.

 

Donghae lowered down his body and cupped her small-sized face, “No—don’t say that—” he said softly. He placed his second finger on her lips and wiped her tears away with his thumb. “She must have a reason—maybe just—she can’t accept the fact right way—”

 

“But—even if it’s like that, she shouldn’t have done this to me—” replied Jessica. “I—”

 

“What’s meant to be, will have its own way—” Donghae leaned in and kissed her forehead, “For now—let me make you something to eat, okay?”

 

“I don’t have the appetite—” she answered, looking away from his eyes.

 

“I knew you hadn’t been taking anything since morning—” he raised his voice up a little, it really hurt him much when he saw her being so skinny at times. “Just listen to me—alright?”

 

Jessica turned to face him, and answered unwillingly, “Okay—”

 

Donghae kneeled on the comfortable bed and sniffed, “Guess I’ll have to—” He carried Jessica up in his arms, “Carry you to the kitchen—I know you’re too lazy to walk—” He tried to make her laugh by teasing her.

 

“Yah—” finally, a brief smile appeared on her face.

 

“Stop hitting my chest—if this continues, I think I’m losing my muscles—” said Donghae along with a chuckle. His words always didn’t make any sense at all.  “Anyway—I found out that I really do carry you a lot—You’re just like a baby, and I’m your babysitter.”

 

“That’s your second job—” answered Jessica.

 

/

 

“Let’s see what we have here—” said Donghae, wondering off around the kitchen and took a peek at the refrigerator. “A sandwich? Beef steak? Omelet? Salad?” his questions kept popping out.

 

“Just fruits—” Jessica simply answered. She was seated right opposite Donghae. She laid her head between her crossed arms on the table.

 

“No way.” he replied. “You know what? Every time I ask you what you want to have as a dinner, you’ll always choose fruits or salads.”

 

“Maybe I’m used to it? For a celebrity, it’s like drinking water, you know that—” Jessica shot back. “Anyway—it’s not even considered as dinner now—it should be called supper, Mr. Lee Donghae.”

 

He glared down at his watch that he put beside the basin earlier. “Fine—whatever you say—” he sounded defeated. “I’ll fry you an omelet. No second objection. It’s the largest tolerance already—No matter what I’ll force you to eat.”

 

Jessica chuckled at his serious act, “Then—I guess I’ll have to lend a hand—”

 

The duo absolutely had treated the kitchen as a playground. Chasing after each other and playing around with the ingredients. Jessica grabbed the cheese and placed it into . Donghae motioned towards her and took a bite, but they ended up kissing instead.

 

/

 

“We’ve reached—sir.” the driver turned around and said.

 

Hayden’s, the restaurant’s name. Mr. Jung stood outside and wondered whether he should go in, not until someone with a familiar back figure appeared in his sight. The back that he hadn’t seen for years. She was busy enough cleaning and tidying up everything that caused her being unaware that someone was standing behind her.

 

“Hayden—” he called out and reached her. She hadn’t changed, at all.

 

The situation was stiff for a moment. None of them talked. They slowly motioned towards the seat, where Jessica’s mom began to question. “How do you know I’m here?”

 

“Jessie—” he looked down, “She ran home crying an hour ago—” he paused and examined her face, she somehow became down upon hearing what he just said. “She told me that—you were in denial.”

 

“Is she feeling any better now?” she asked, being concerned.

 

“Since you’re caring her that much—and even had her posters around, why..did you do that to her?” Mr. Jung stated his point.

 

“I just—need some time. I mean, I left her since she was a kid—do you think it’s just, acceptable for me to recognize her back without even feeling a sense of irresponsibility?”

 

An awkward silence struck once again. “Listen—I’m—sorry.” Mr. Jung apologized. “Ever since that day—I haven’t got the chance to show my apology.” He hesitated, “Both of us know that it’s not your fault—you don’t even have to feel irresponsible. I just—I just hope that you don’t put all the blame on yourself. Please—accept Jessie back—”

 

He patted on his jeans and was ready to leave, “If there isn’t anything—I think it’s better for me to go now. Before I forget—I need to mention something that’s important. Whenever you and Krystal feel like coming back—you’re most welcomed. Nicole and I were past. I do regret—so I hope that you’ll give this family another chance, or other words, for me to repay Krystal back. All these years I wasn’t able to do what a normal dad should—” he sounded sorry. He stood up and turned, where he suddenly got astonished by a pair of arms that wrapped around his waist, “Dad?”

 

“Dad—” Krystal said in a sobbing tone. She heard everything throughout the conversation.

 

Mr. Jung gently brushed the back hair of his youngest daughter. A light smile slowly showed up on his face.

 

Today is definitely the craziest day of my life.

 

/

 

After washing up all the dishes, Donghae held on Jessica’s hand and walked out of the house. “It’s raining pretty heavily now—” he sighed, “Guess we’ll have to stay overnight here—”

 

Jessica looked up at him with her puppy-eyes, “I miss our bed.”

 

“Wait a moment—I’ll get the umbrella so you just wait here—okay?” asked Donghae. As he was ready to walk down the slope to get his car, Jessica tightened the grip between them and dragged him under the rain.

 

“I’ve never been under the rain before.” said Jessica, “I should have done this earlier—never knew it’s fun.” She said happily despite the fact that Donghae was actually unpleased by her sudden action.

 

Once they got into the car, they were thoroughly soaked. Jessica realized his abnormal silence since he hadn’t started his car immediately, “What’s wrong?”

 

“Why did you do that?” he spoke out. “Don’t you know you’ll get sick? What if you really fall ill because of that?” His eyes burned, but that was just a sign of worrying.

 

“I’m really sorry—” Jessica apologized.

 

“Just don’t do that again, okay? You know I’ll be really mad.” he said firmly. He pointed at his own pouted lips, “You know what you should do in order to let me forgive you—” Jessica shook her head slightly and smirked at his childish change. She simply planted a peck on his lips and retraced back, “So am I forgiven now?”

 

He fastened both of their seat belts and reversed the car, “Well—that’s better. But you’ll get a small punishment once we reach home—” he smiled cheekily.