42

The Reason I Live [Abandoned]

 

I'd been in this rehab center too long and just lost track in the end. When Aron visited for the first time in weeks, the councilor immidiently told him that I was not improving, instead the opposite. He kept a blank look, but after the coucilor left the room, it melted away and he hugged me tight. I still remember his words. They echoed in my head.
 
"You need to get better for us."
 
And so, I agreed with watery eyes, that I'd try harder. He smiled and kissed my forehead, my stomach fluttering at seeing his smile. After that, he took me out for a walk and told me all the things Nu'est had been doing. Helping out charities, schools, orphanages; doing community service; a few interviews and photo shoots. I was glad that they had not had any live performances without me. Aron asked me if I had made any new friends and I nodded, telling him about Baekhyun and how we even met. He nodded, looking happy that I made at least one friend.
After a few hours, he left. He apologized sincerely and even bowed, saying he'd be back soon. I only smiled and hugged him.
"It's okay, hyung. I understand. Don't worry so much, okay?" I told him, chuckling slightly. He laughed and scratched his head. 
"Okay then. Next time, I'll bring the others. They really want to see you. Especially Ren. He's changed a lot since you left, Jonghyun." he said seriously. I was slightly surprised, but nodded. 
"Bye~" I waved at him as he stepped outside. I tried to hide the disappointed tone in my voice. Luckily, it worked. He brightly smiled at me and waved like a child. 
'Bye Jonghyunnie! I love you~" he shouted cutely in an aegyo voice. I felt my face heating up and hid my face in my hands. I heard him laugh loudly before the door shut, blocking out the wonderful sound of his laugh.
I shook my head while smiling and proceeded to head back up to my room, wondering what Baekhyun was doing. Small hands with a tight grip stopped me as they were placed on my shoulders. I jumped at the sudden contact, whirling around with a glare on my face. I was met with the familiar face of one of the receptionists at the front office. If I remembered correctly, her name was Minji.
My glare disappeared quickly. "Minji-ah." I greeted her politely, bowing. She regarded me with her eyes. 
"This package came for you in the mail." she tossed a small package at me with her free hand. I caught it easily. She pressed her lips together and finally let go of me and walked away. I rose my eyebrows, wondering what that was about. the package in my hand, I inspected it. What was it? Last time I checked, no one was supposed to send me anything. Shrugging, I decided to open it since I was so curious. Before opening it, I checked to see who it was from.
 
 
 
 
It was from my step-father.
 
 
 
 
I felt my blood boiling in bitter anger already.
 
 
 
 
 
 After a few minutes of struggling with the box, I managed to open it and pulled out another box inside. It was a small box, like one you'd put jewelry in. I cocked my head, wondering what this could even be. And more importantly, why did my own step-father send me something? He didn't even have the time to call and check up on me. I hesitantly opened the small box. I felt my eyes widen and a quiet shriek escaped my lips. I felt my hands toss the box at the ground. My body started shaking, my breathing became rapid. 
 
 
 
Why would he send me a pack of razors?
 
 
 
Yes, my step-father sent me a pack of six razors, each one varying in size and thickness. I don't know how to react. Why would he even send these to me? Was it as a sick joke? A cruel twisted joke? I felt my eyes watering, but forced the tears to not fall out. I bit my lip and slowly bent down to grab the pack of razors.Maybe I should throw these away.
"Yes....throw them away. He's messing with your head." How did he even find out that I was here? He didn't know the address.
"Kim Jonghyun!" I heard a familiar voice shout in slight panic. I dropped the razors in an act of surprise and turned around to see who called my name. Of course, it was Baekhyun. A very ticked off Baekhyun running towards me. Let me tell you, never tick off Byun Baekhyun. He was already sassy and feisty enough, while making him angry made his sassiness skyrocket x10000.
"Baekhyun-"
Baekhyun gripped my arm tightly. Behind him, I saw a very tall lanky male with black hair. He looked tired, probably from chasing Baekhyun around. I assumed it was Chanyeol-
"Why. Do. You. Have. Razors." he growled through gritted teeth, shaking my arm violently. I frowned.
"It's not what you think, hyung." I said quickly. He narrowed his eyes at me. "Are you lying to me? I will hurt you if you are. You're supposed to be getting better!"
I suddenly felt my anger rising inside me. I tugged at his long sleeved shirt. "Yeah and you're such a hypocrite." He was startled at my action. "Admit it Baekhyun, you're no better than what you say." I immidiently regretted my words when I saw the fire in his eyes. But I knew him well enough that I saw the hurt too. 
"Yeah? Well this hypocrite has been here for you since you got here at this stupid place. This hypocrite took your razor away when you wanted it most. This hypocrite was your shoulder to cry on. This hypocrite can barely keep himself afloat-"
"Baekhyun, stop. It's okay." Chanyeol's deep voice said in a demanding tone. "Look, Baek. There's a delivery box here." he pointed at the ground where I had thrown the box carelessly. "That means someone sent him the razors." Baekhyun's eyes softened.
"Oh." he looked down at the ground sheepishly. "Sorry." he mumbled to me, rubbing his neck. 
"It's fine. I could see why you though they were mine." I replied. I gave him a tight hug. "I'm here for you, okay? We're friends, you need to trust me." I whispered in his ear. He nodded slowly. When I pulled away, Chanyeol took his turn to hug the shorter. Baekhyun threw his hands around Chanyeol's neck, having to tiptoe to do so.
 
 
 
 
I was almost asleep when I heard my phone ringing. "Ugh. Who could this be? Better be someone important." I grumbled.
"Hello?" I answered, rolling on my side. I closed my eyes sleepily.
"Oppa!" two voices said at the same time. My eyes snapped open. Was this...
"Oppa! We miss you~" they said again. "We called to check on you."
"Mihyun? Miyung?" I asked.
"Yes!" they squealed happily. I couldn't help but laugh at my two younger twin sisters' childish behaivor. Well, they were only eight years old.
"Annyeong~~ Oppa miss you two. A lot. How has my beautiful sisters been?" 
I could practically hear them smile. "Good! But we really miss oppa...when will you come home? Soon?" they said hopefully. 
At this rate, oppa will be stuck here for a while...
I gulped. "Hopefully soon. Oppa is doing a good job here." Lies. "He made a new friend that you can meet soon. Oppa thinks you two will love him."
Mihyun laughed, while Miyung remained quiet. "Wah. I'll be back, oppa. I need to do something for umma." Mihyun said and I heard a door open and shut. After a while, Miyung spoke up. "Oppa . . . . umma has been mean lately."
I felt my protective side come out. "Oh? Tell oppa."
"She always yells at us, mostly me though. And she'll come home drunk and talking about some little girl named Tiffany. When we try to help her, she pushes us away." I frowned. 
"Don't let umma get too crazy, okay? And if one night she comes home very drunk and starts hitting things, leave. Go to the police. Or to the Nu'est dorm. Do you know where it's at? You can take a taxi there and ask for Kwaak Aron."
"Yes, I know where that is, but....Aron oppa? Your boyfriend? I haven't met him a lot....is he nice?" she asked nervously.
"Yes. Very nice. Tell him you are my siblings and he will surely take you in. He will take care of you and you two will be safe. Please promise oppa that you will do that if things get out of hand." I said sternly. I didn't want Mihyun and Miyung to suffer the way I did when I was younger. 
"I..I promise." she muttered.
"Good. You're the older one, so take care of each other."
Miyung suddenly laughed. "I'm older than Mihyun by just a few minutes!" I laughed as well.
"It's okay! It's still a big difference." I smiled. I peered at the digital clock beside my bed. 12:22 a.m
"Yah! It's almost 12:30 and you two aren't asleep?! Go to sleep right now!" I commanded Miyung. She sighed.
"I'm not tired." she whined. 
"I don't care. Go." 
She paused, probably thinking about it. She sighed again. "Fine. We will call you again soon, okay Oppa? Don't be sad, you can do this! Fighting~" she exclaimed, giggling slightly.
I beamed. "Okay. Oppa loves you~ Sleep well and tell Mihyun that oppa loves her too. Bye bye~" 
"Byeeee" she cooed, then ended the call.
I closed my eyes and rested my head on the pillow. 
 
 
 
 
Don't be sad, you can do this!
 
 
 
 
"I don't know, Miyung. Can I?" I whispered to myself before falling intu a deep slumber.