Chapter 1

Super Maid & The 13 Dorks

 

"Miss Kim? This is a reminder of your job interview today. Please arrive on time. BEEEEEEP."

There was another voicemail... "Minaaaaaaaaaa! Hey gorgeous! It's been a while since we've had a girl's night out, babe... Tonight? Call meee! BEEEEEEP."

I quietly giggled at Meela's excitement as I dialed her number. Ring... Ring... Rin- "HEYYY!"

"Meela! I got your voicemail, boo. What's the plan?"

"There's a festival at Seoul Square tonight! I was thinking we'd have some fun there... And I'll bet there's gonna be vendors selling boong-uh-bbang... The chocolate kind."

I could feel her smirking through the other end of the phone. Boong-uh-bang is fish shaped bread that's usually filled with something tasty inside. She knew my favorite were chocolate filled. The good ones only come around once in a while - most often at festivals.

"You know I'll be there," I said with a wide grin. "I have a job interview today though. What time are we gonna be heading there?"

"Don't worry about it! The festival starts around 7pm. I'll pick you up," she said. Meela was more like a boyfriend than a best friend... My freaky lover. "What job are you interviewing for, love?"

"Actually, I'm not sure," I said, dumbfounded. Mr. Park never told me anything, other than the fact that it was under a big company.

"Haha, really? I need to start looking for a job too... Maybe you can hook me up when you get in," she joked. "...Oh, I forgot to pick up my dress from the dry cleaners! I have to go! See you tonight, Minaaa!" I thought she hung up already when "OH YEAAAAAAAAAAH, MINA! I heard there was a boy band performing at the festival tonight or something... Kay, byeeeee!" Click!

This girl... I love her. We've been best friends since the diaper era. Her mother and mine were best friends since high school, too. They're still the peas in the same old pod. I guess that's how Meela became the peanut butter to my jelly. She's the kind of best friend that I'm comfortable with acting stupid around. In public, people would give us weird stares. But it didn't matter... Meela was next to me and they were probably just staring at her anyways LOL. She lives on the 10th floor of this apartment, while I live on the 8th. Sometimes, she would bust into my apartment and raid my fridge.

I looked at the time and realized I had to get ready. My closet didn't hold any fancy business suits, so I had to come up with a presentable outfit. My white blazer was the first thing I went to. I pulled out a black top along with it. White goes good with black right? I found my polka dotted skirt in the back of my dresser and black flats in the corner of my closet. Glasses or contacts... Glasses make people look more professional... Pfft, but what if they think I'm blind or something. I put on my contacts and started applying my makeup. A spritz of perfume and... BAM. Business outfit.

Plus 15 minutes to spare! Maybe I should start heading there and look for place so I won't get lost...

*                            *                            *

Posters of famous celebrities plastered the walls. I was getting excited. What kind of job was this man going to offer me? I walked over to the front desk.

"Hello, can I help you?" the lady said. She looked like she was in her late 20's or early 30's.

"I'm here for a job interview Mr. Park scheduled," I replied.

"Ah, Miss Kim, right?" she smiled.

"Yes ma'am," I smiled back.

"Follow me, please." A big, flashy SM Entertainment sign caught my attention. From what I know, SM Entertainment is a record company - one of the biggest in South Korea. Come to think of it, this place looked pretty big from the outside. And inside, it's so luxurious. My heart skipped a beat when a tall... and extremely handsome guy walked pass. The people here are really good looking too. Hehe, if I keep my eyes peeled, maybe I'll see someone famous.

"Miss Kim, you're here!" Mr. Park exclaimed. A younger looking man was sitting in the room glum look on his face. I took as seat as Mr. Park pulled out a chair for the lady that led me here. "This is Mrs. Park, my wife, if she hasn't already introduced herself." Well that was unexpected. Mr. and Mrs. Park were both very kind though, so I suppose they're compatible.

"And this is Mr. Kim Jung Hoon," Mr. Park gestured to the somber man. He nodded at me with soft smile, suggesting he was friendly. Paperwork was being handed over to Mrs. Park.

"Ah, Kim Mina... Age 19... Date of birth, March 16th... Stays at La Vanille apartments... Bilingual... Korean and English, correct?"

"Yes. And a little bit Mandarin," I added.

"Raised in the States... High school diploma... And a valedictorian! Very smart..." she continued.

Mr. Kim sat there blank faced, raising his eyebrows every so often.

"...Unemployed!" Mrs. Park finished. "And that's why you're here. Tell me more about yourself."

"Emm... I live in my apartment alone, but my best friend, who's two floors above me, keeps me company. My mother lives in Busan and works as an English teacher." I mentally face-palmed myself. I didn't prepare an autobiography... "Mmm, my mother sent me here with enough money to support myself for 3 months. It's been about 2 and a half months already, and I've only spent 1 month's worth of money."

"Very good at managing money, I see," Mrs. Park praised.

"Yes. I'm looking for a job to make a living in Seoul and send some to my mother to pay back every last cent." I paused... Maybe I should just start throwing in facts. "I'm a good driver, but I don't own a car. I believe music is a necessity in life... I took Tae Kwon Do as a child... Oh, and I loooove chocolate filled Boong-uh-Bbang~!" ...Mental face-palm.

"Oh, you know Tae Kwon Do? Perfect!" Mrs. Park exclaimed.

Phew, maybe she didn't notice my ridiculous outburst.

"Do you know how to cook, Mina?"

"Why of course, I make the best dak galbi!" I gloated. Dak galbi is spicy stir-fried chicken, often served with noodles or rice. When I turned 12, mom frequently pulled me into the kitchen and taught me how to cook various dishes. The first dish I learned was dak galbi, and it's the only one I've perfected.

"Hmm... Are you one to always keep your apartment clean?" she asked. "Judging by your appearance, you're definitely fashionable and hygienic... not a wrinkle on your clothing either."

"I like to keep my place organized. No one likes a messy home..."

"You're also punctual and good with managing time, yes?'

"Yes ma'am," I answered.

Mr. Kim seemed a little more interested than he was ten minutes ago. He leaned over the table and whispered, "Do you have a boyfriend?"

I was taken aback by his question. 'Umm... No," I answered awkwardly.

"Don't worry, he's just messing with you," Mr. Park laughed. "Mr. Kim is also part of the reason you're here today. Would you like to explain, Mr. Kim?"

"Well, let me tell you a little about myself. I'm Super Junior's manager. The 'Prince Manager' as some fans like to call me." It was understandable, considering his good looks and youthful features. "I supervise the 13 boys and schedule their events... But recently, I was offered a position at my father's company in China. So I won't be able to stay in Seoul for long periods of time."

"That's where you come in," Mr. Park said. "While Mr. Kim is away, we want you to keep the dorm orderly and keep the boys on schedule. Mr. Kim has also prepared a rule book for you. And every member has a separate planner, but they're usually in groups when attending events." He placed a stack of agendas in front of me. "And this has everything you need to know and what you have to do on a daily basis," he handed me a small handwritten booklet.

A box was suddenly pushed across the table, making the stack of agendas tip over. "Open it," Mr. Kim told me. I carefully lifted the lid, curious, but cautious of what might be inside... A maid costume.

"Congrats, you are now Super Junior's maid!" Mr. Kim said with a grin.

I stared at him dumbstruck. Did I hear him right? He said maid?

"Thank you for taking up the offer, Mina. You've saved me from restlessness," he smiled. Well at least he was cheerful now. But...

"Huh" was the only thing that would come out of my mouth.

"Thank you, Mina! Now go try on the costume to see if it fits comfortably. After all, you can't wear an ill-fitting costume everyday and be distracted by something so silly!" Did he say everyday...? He pushed me into the hallway and pointed. "There's the bathroom. Come out and show us when you're done changing." And with that, he went back into the room.

I waited until I got into the bathroom before screaming. "WHAT?! MAID?!" Was he serious?? I came here expecting a decent occupation... and they give me a job I could get at the cafe across the street from my apartment! I didn't even accept the offer yet... T_T

I went into one of the stalls to put on the costume. Surprisingly, it fit perfectly. At the bottom of the box was an envelope. I opened it to find 576,500 won and a note.

-Here's your first pay for successfully completing the job interview. You're hired!-

It was like they're paying me to take the up the job... Well, making money within a minute of being hired is a great start!

I walked out off the stall with the box in my hand to find a blonde strutting into the bathroom. She was beautiful...flawless... like a doll! I stared at her for a while before I came back to my senses.

"What are you staring at?" She looked me up and down. "Are they hiring maids now?" she scoffed. So much for being beautiful. "Ridiculous..." She walked into a stall before I could retort. I knew this maid thing was absurd...

When I made it back to the room, Mrs. Park was first to stand up in excitement. "Mina! It looks perfect on you!" Mr park and Mr. Kim nodded in agreement. But I still didn't understand why this was necessary... Sigh, just leave a good first impression and don't complain.

"Oh, and I forgot to mention this earlier... As a part of taking up this job, you have to live in the SM dorms," Mr. Kim said. "That's why I asked if you had a boyfriend. I don't think he'd want you living with 13 guys," he whispered.

"13 guys?" I shivered.

"Don't worry, you'll have a separate room. I told the boys to set it up for you. And I'm sure they won't try anything funny." He awkwardly raised his eyebrow. "Since I didn't notify you until now, I'll give you tomorrow to pack and move your stuff in. Then you can start working Thursday morning."

"Alright," I answered with a defeated expression. As disappointed as I was, I still have to take up the offer to support myself. "Thank you, Mr. Kim, Mr. Park, and Mrs. Park," I bowed.

I'd just hate to see Meela's expression when I tell her I have to move out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello~!
The beginning is always slow and boring, but I promise you it'll get better!
Please leave comments and suggestions! And questions too! :)