Chapter 26

Oh! My Mafia Princess! ; 오! 마이 마피아 프린세스!

It was obvious that the rest of us was pretty confident in Chunji's skill of Pool. Sungyeol especially, he was going on and on about how to score, how to get a good placing, talking about drawbacks and follow through. All the technical terms for Pool. Jihye could only roll her eyes and shrug. Thanks to them I managed to relaxed a little more. Somehow this 'competition' we're having here, gave us a stronger emotional bond. 

And thanks to this, I've jumped out of that Daehyun-doesn't-like-me-it's-all-one-sided pit hole. I glanced behind and smiled at him. He frowned like he usually did when he was puzzled and that was one of his best expression I love. 

Siwan and Chunji opened the game with a pair of dice. The player with the biggest number starts first. Siwan threw a 3 and a 5 while Chunji threw both 6. That's some serious luck he was getting. He winked at me as he set the cue ball on the table, His fingers looking slimmer with the professional looking leather gloves. 

I caught Siwan taking a short glance at me. Our eyes met for a while, but he had a strange look in his eyes; a softer looking expression. I stared unknowingly in his direction until Jihye nudged my waist. 

'Did you hear what I said?' She asked putting a hand on mine. I bowed apologetically. In actual fact, I heard nothing from her. It's like Siwan has dragged me into his world with those eyes. I looked away immediately avoiding any more eye contact with him. It felt strange and weird, but he seemed even more distant than we already was. 

The Pool Balls clashed loudly against each other. It was a rather scattered break by Chunji. A grin flashed across his face and he eyed the table, lips moving. I knew a thing or two about Pool, so I didn't even need Sungyeol's self volunteered narration in the background, but apparently he was more distracting. I gave up. 

'He will take Solid, the fully coloured balls, see, he has scored one of them from the break already, so it's still his turn to play.' Sungyeol said. 

'What is a break?' Jihye asked me softly. 'It means to break the balls up but hitting the white cue ball towards the triangular arranged pool balls. Normally the more scattered it is, it should be of advantage to the breaker if he scores at least a ball from his break.' I explained and she frowned. 'Chunji scored a coloured ball No.4 from the break earlier,' I pointed at the ball in the return pit at the bottom. 'So according to the rules, it's still his turn to play now.' I added and her frown ceased. 

We focused all our attention on the on-going match. This was a much calmer match, but it does requires skills and strategy to play it well. Pretty much a smart move of Haraboji to make this a Battle of Strategy. So much for fancy naming sense. 

'How do you win this?' Jihye asked again after a while. Just then, Chunji successfully potted a no.7 right into the furthest left ball pocket. Sungyeol cheered a little too loud and L.Joe must have elbowed him because he coughed a loud gasp. 

'Chunji has chosen Solid, so he has to clear all the coloured balls and then pot the 8-Ball at the last. If he accidentally, which I doubt so, pot the 8-Ball into any pockets, he lose immediately.' I said, my voice softened subconsciously at the word 'lose'. 

'So Siwan will take the striped balls?' Jihye said pointing at the no.11 nearest to us on the Pool Table. I nodded but kept my eyes on Chunji. He seemed so at ease, at though he was just whipping up a simple breakfast for me. I smiled a little as he shot me another playful wink as he bend down taking his stance to shoot. Behind me Daehyun made a 'tsk' sound and I swear I smiled harder. 

On the other hand, Siwan wasn't in the least worried. It was weird, but that calmness about him could be a great match to Yongguk's. But the two couldn't be compared like this, because Yongguk's more of a manlier calm while Siwan gave off the im-just-this-calm feel. It was like he was surrounded by a layer of mist, and I couldn't see the real him at all. Mysterious probably the most appropriate word for now. 

Niel was rather focused on the match and was mumbling something to Yongguk, I saw him nod once then kept his eyes on the table. Jinyoung looked over to our side, I bet he was more interested in Myungsoo than me. Not that I'm disappointed to lose a potential candidate, it was more like the Myung-young brotherhood session. 

'You're not supposed to forget about me while I'm here.' I heard Sungyeol's jealous muttering from behind and shook my head. 

Chunji stopped and straightened up looking in the direction of the door as though having found something that was lost years ago. 

'Hey guys.' 

I turned around immediately. Zelo, who still has a bandage over his wrist waved with his usual child-like smile. His arrival lit up every each of our faces. Even the guys opposite us smiled and bowed at him. Sungyeol looked as though he could totally hug him like a teddy bear, but behaving in front of Haraboji is of top priority of all times. I stood up and patted Zelo's cheeks with both hands, squeezing them at last. 

'So glad to have you back.' I smiled and he looked away with a pout, his ears turning red in an instant. In the corner of my eyes, Daehyun narrowed his eyes and arched an eyebrow playfully, giving me that 'I-see-what-you-did-there' look. I stuck out my tongue and turn around. Back to match. 

Chunji regained his posture and successfully potted another Solid. Siwan again, doesn't show any emotions. Though he did pat the table twice with his fingers and said 'Good shot' in a monotoned voice. 

But Chunji lost control of his next shot, and missed it by an inch to potting it. Siwan his cue stick in a swift motion and eyed the table for a second of so. Immediately, he bend down and took the shot. 

We gasped. 

He took no more than 10 seconds, and scored. 

Instead of him having a better expression, it was Chunji who was caught off guard by that surprise attack. Those long fingers curled up around the cue stick grew white. It wasn't hard to see he was taking this battle even more seriously. 

Opposite us, Sunggyu and Dongwoo was whispering intensely and Dongwoo smirked after their little conversation and gazed at me. He nodded respectfully and looked away leaving me dumbfounded. Why is everyone on their team giving off all the mysterious feel? The main problem is, I didn't even have a chance to know them. Behind me Daehyun cleared his throat once again. Daehyun is enough. 

Myungsoo whispered something in Jihye's ear and she looked at me with worried eyes. What? I mouthed turning my head hoping to get some explanations from Daehyun. But his forehead creased into a frown and his eyes was fixated rather intensely on the match infront. 

'What?' I asked again. 

'Myungsoo said that Chunji is losing concentration.' Jihye's voice shook at the last word and a feeling of dread swept over me. I began to take notice of Chunji every little action. His stance was different, he was trying too hard. 

Within minutes Siwan has already gained full control of the game pace. He was left with one last striped ball - No.12 and that 8-Ball to win. Just two more. If not for his unexpected miss he might have win this already. 

Chunji wasn't smiling anymore. He was biting his lower lip. His stance wasn't as elegant as before, he seemed more hasty and uneasy. Nobody expected Siwan to do so well. He was like a black knight emerging from the battle ground, without a sound erasing an enemy's existance in a simple swipe of his sword. I trembled at the thought. His clean and beautiful face just couldn't fit with such a character. But I couldn't deny what I saw. 

Chunji has to pot one more ball to be on equal stand with Siwan. It didn't even need a fool to see how Chunji's fingers trembled as he place them on the table as a lever for his cue stick. I bit my lips and realised I have my fingers crossed under my chin. 

It was so quiet I might even head a pin drop. Everyone was waiting for him to deliver the shot. Nobody even moved a muscle. I glanced at Haraboji who sat in his seat quietly but had his eyes closed. Anger boiled within me as I met Mr K's eyes. His expression was unreadable. 

The sound of the ball hitting against each other snapped my attention back to the game. 

Haraboji opened his eyes and took a short glance at the table. I normally would have expected a frown, but I thought I saw him shaking his head disapprovingly. I didn't even have the chance to double check because he closed his eyes again. 

That's right. Chunji missed. His squeezed his eyes shut and sighed, hands already balled into fists. My chest tightened as I watched his back retreating back, giving space for Siwan. The reluctance in his body language wasn't hard to notice. I've never seen this side of Chunji before. The side that matched his age. That expression when a boy lost a game of friendly poker to his friend with a bet of $10. 

I turned around hoping to find some support from Daehyun. He read me like an open book. He had already anticipated my reaction, because he already knelt down silently behind my seat and whispered softly with his lullaby-like voice. 

'He'll be fine. We'll be fine.' He said, but there was an edge to his optimistic. This wasn't the result any of us wanted. This meant that the opposite group turned the match to a draw again. 

It didn't even take Siwan long to win. No more than a minute. My eyes couldn't even follow the white ball as it hit the black ball with so much impact it dropped into the pocket with a loud thud. 

I wanted to rush over to hug Chunji in my arms. To tell him that it was okay, he's still my best butler. But I didn't because I had all my attention on the merciless Siwan. To my surprise, he smiled with a surprised expression as Niel patted his shoulder excitedly. It was weird, he looked as though he just snapped out of a trance and that he didn't even realise he won. 

I found myself walking over to the latter group. They bowed as I approached. 

'What did you do?' I asked Siwan right on. His eyes widened and pointed a finger at the Pool table.

'I.... won?' It wasn't a question, neither it was sarcasm in his tone, it was more like a question to himself as he stared at the table for a while before realising what actually happened. 

Dongwoo had an arm draped across Sunggyu's shoulders. The both of them looked at me with adorable eye smiles. Especially Sunggyu, whose eyes formed into thin lines as he smiled. 

'Our Siwan is cool isn't he?' Dongwoo punched Siwan's arm lightly as Siwan looked as though he just came back from prank-land. Then he shook his head humbly. 

'I was too focused. I'm sorry.' He bowed suddenly, apologising to me. I took a step back with wide eyes. 

'Huh? Why?' 

'Whenever I play Pool, I get so serious I turn into a different person.' He said calmly and slowly, he articulated perfectly with a small reserved smile across his face. His face was small compared to Niel beside him. He was so full of respect I felt bad at confronting him like this. 

'Is it?' Sungyeol walked up behind me and I jumped in surprise. Since when were they all here? Daehyun took the spot on my left and Sungyeol on my right. The rest followed behind. 

Siwan frowned. 'This was a rather rude habit of mine. I'm sorry.' He apologised again, and strangly I wanted to defend him. 

'It's a great game.' It was Chunji. He stretched out his hand from beside Daehyun towards Siwan, who took it gladly with a teeth showing smile. 

'Thankyou.' Chunji patted Siwan's arm in a friendly manner. I frowned. 

'Wait people, did I went to dreamland for like a few minutes or am I missing something here?' Niel and Zelo laughed the loudest and they both exchanged glances like they've found their long lost pal in the woods. 

'It's a good game.' Daehyun said beside me and wrapped his arm around Chunji's neck. 

'It's a draw now huh?' Sungyeol said, but his tone was rather hostile. Myungsoo elbowed him in the ribs as he gasped in pain. 'WHat?' 

'We'll win.' L.Joe added. 

'We'll see about that.' Sunggyu said with a surprisingly intimidating manner and Dongwoo shot him a warning look as though putting him on a leash immediately. It was funny to watch because Sunggyu smiled immediately as our eyes met. 

'But you guys don't even know me.' 

'We do, my princess,' Dongwoo said, the corner of his lips curled upwards. 'We all do.' He said and eyed Yongguk. He nodded slightly and looked at me with half a shrug. 

'What does that mean? Stalking now?' 

Niel laughed again and Siwan smiled lowering his head. 

'You know how we met.' Yongguk said with a wink and I fet Daehyun tense up beside me. 

'And I was the son of your father's golf buddy, we've met a few times.' Niel added with a wide grin. I frowned. My memories were all jumbled up and nothing came up. 'You were so adorable back then.' He added and Zelo snapped.

'She is your noona. Who says you can talk to her like that?' 

'It's not like you can?' Niel challenged and Myungsoo held Zelo back in case he charged with a half healing wrist. 

'I'm sorry I don't...' 

'We,' Jinyoung pointed at Sunggyu, Dongwoo and himself, 'Our fathers attend the same school as your mom. I'm sorry for your loss.' He lowered his head a little but his smile returned after a while. 'They were once candidates themselves for your mom's husband.' 

My jaws dropped. This isn't a coincidence. It seems that Haraboji planned this for a while. 

'But you guys were older than I am?' 

'Our fathers are the best bachelors in the country!' Dongwoo cheered bumping his fist against his chest. That was a good way of showing how proud he is to be his father's son. 

'I see what Haraboji did here.' Jihye muttered, since when did she sneak up behind me?

'And Miss you, I attend the same school as you.' Siwan said simply. 

'High school?' Sungyeol asked. Siwan nodded slightly. Sungyeol frowned, but I knew. There was no way for them to know him, since they've only transferred to my school for... like... less than 3 months? 

'I see.' I mumbled. 'Haraboji did his homework huh.' I added looking at all of them standing infront of me. I turned around looking past Chunji, but Haraboji and Mr K were already nowhere to be seen. 

'Who's ready for tomorrow's match?' Sungyeol exclaimed behind me breaking my train of thoughts. Right, it was Sungyeol's match the next day. 

'I am.' Sunggyu grabbed his right fist in his left palm making a sound. Sungyeol narrowed his eyes with a smirk. 'See you tomorrow.' 

'Dismissed!' Niel said suddenly and bowed with his right hand over his chest and his right leg over his left. I laughed. The gentlemen's way just doesn't suit him. 

'I'm sorry.' Chunji said as rest of them was on their way out. I shook my head and grabbed his hand. 'Thankyou.' I said. He knew what I meant. Having them here with me, fighting for my happiness is enough. 

Seems like I did a good job living a dramatic life. 

'Want another kiss?' Daehyun teased suddenly flicking my forehead lightly. 

'Dream on.'