Chapter Forty: Strategy

A Crack in History

They had slept during the day, and had decided to make their way to the border under the cover of darkness. It was heavily guarded, soldiers lined around like dolls on a shelf, all in a row. Several spotlights shone into the sky and across the ground, flitting from one place to another. There were multiple vehicles and tall watch towers armed with snipers and machine guns. It had taken them just under three weeks (two weeks, three days, to be precise) to get across Seoul safely- including the days before they had planned to come and had just been walking around with no real objective and the days where Leeteuk had fainted. They weren't going to back down now. 

"We underestimated the security levels of the Seoul border," Han Geng stated, as if it weren't blatantly obvious anyway. They were hidden a few hundred metres from the wall of soldiers dividing the Capital and the next expanse of land. "There's no way we could get through that, even with a distraction. There's security cameras on top of the towers too."

"That's because they know we're located in Seoul," Jongwoon groaned to himself. "Stupid, stupid. Why didn't I think of that before? They've probably got the whole border guarded."

"Well done ," Ryeowook hissed at the older. "Now what do we do?"

"Ryeowook, calm yourself." Leeteuk scolded firmly. 

"I'm feel like I'm allowed to call hi-"

"This isn't a time to be arguing," Donghae calmed the two before it got out of hand. "There are soldiers less than half a kilometre from us and you're going to start an argument? Not a good idea. We just need to rethink our plan."

"Donghae's right and you aren't stupid Jongwoon," Kyuhyun rubbed his back. "Look at the bright side of things; at least we didn't decide to head there in the day time."

"That's hardly a bright side," Zhou Mi mumbled sadly. "Apart from that we're practically screwed..."

"Okay, we need to make a 'Plan B', I'm getting really nervous sitting like a duck here," Eunhyuk hurriedly blurted out. "Anyone got any ideas?"

"Well basically, we have two choices," Siwon concluded softly. "We can: A) Turn back and head towards the centre of the city again, or B) Head east and try escape into the Gangwon division before going towards the North Korean border."

"Going back wouldn't do us any good," Sungmin frowned deeply. "We'd just be making another plan before heading towards here again, there's no point."

"We can't really go east either," Kyuhyun added immediately after. "They knew that was where we were last located, in the Gangdong district. The border around there is heavily guarded."

"... What about heading west...?" Heechul suggested quietly. "Incheon is made up of several islands, and is just as abandoned as Seoul was. From there we'd be able to travel by water and into the North with barely any trouble at all."

"... Apart from the fact that the border of North Korea is twice as guarded as the South," Henry pointed out with a timid voice. "And that it's almost winter. The water would be freezing. Impossible to travel in unless you were willing to get frostbite..."

"... No, Heechul's right!" Ryeowook gasped excitedly. "Incheon's my old home, I know it like the back of my own hand. It's made of three main components. The eight districts, which are right next to Seoul, and the Ganghwa and Ongjin counties, which are made of the separate islands that surround the mainland. The Ganghwa county is the closest to the North Korean border, in particular, the second smallest island. And because they couldn't make a wall or gate..."

"We'd be able to get in without having to climb over a wall!" Donghae continued with a grin. 

"That doesn't change the fact that the water will still be freezing," Henry countered slightly panicked. "And instead of having a wall, wouldn't they just have a heap of soldiers guarding both the border of North Korean and the island?!"

"Exactly," Ryeowook have him a knowing grin. "They did. There were and still are soldiers guarding the border of that part of the Ganghwa county. But nowhere else in Incheon, because they killed everyone off."

"So?" Han Geng frowned. 

"They had to get soldiers from North Korea to Ganghwa somehow, right?" Ryeowook explained patiently. "Going through the border and going through Seoul seemed to troublesome, so they built a sort of upside-down train. It travels directly from Ganghwa to Haeju, in South Hwanghae."

"If Incheon is abandoned, why would it still be working?" Leeteuk asked curiously. "There wouldn't be anyone there."

"Because it's one of the ports for where soldiers enter and exit the country," Ryeowook answered. "The soldiers not supplies don't just stay in Incheon, some head to Seoul, Mokpo, Cheonan, or any of the other places being controlled by the North."

"Are you saying we should go on this train thing? With North Korean soldiers left, right and centre?" Eunhyuk's voice cracked. "Are you serious?"

"There's two compartments to it, one to carry people, the other to carry supplies. The upper part holds people, and is build kind of like a ship," Ryeowook continued using his hands to help show what he was saying and ignoring Eunhyuk's question. "There are two parts to the supply unit. One to carry vehicles, the other to carry stuff like boxes of ammunition and weaponry. We wouldn't be able to go on the vehicle on. The most logical way to get off would be to hide under the cars and in the tanks. But they check them, so we wouldn't be able to, and there would be hardly any space to hide." He had to take a breath before he started off again. "However, the one that holds weapons and other things has space for us to hide and we'd simply need to sneak out."

"Um, how? It's a shipping site," Zhou Mi reminded him. "There's probably North Korean's everywhere, checking boxes, vehicles, everyone who comes off the train. It's a methodical system, strict and reliable."

"I don't know how we'd sneak out of there," Ryeowook admitted sheepishly. "I just know how we could get into the country. We'd have to time it right though, the train only goes every few days."

"Ryeowook, that's impressive,"  Kyuhyun acknowledged with a silent clap of his hands. "I'd say it's the best chance we've got. I'm in."

"I follow Master Kyuhyun," Jongwoon sighed tiredly, probably because the fact was already known. "I vote for as well."

"I was the one who suggested Incheon, so I agree." Heechul murmured softly, Heebum purring beside him.

"It's better than anything else we've got," Sungmin shrugged unsurely. "Okay, I'm in."

"It's insane, dangerous, and completely unpredictable," Han Geng looked at Leeteuk with a grin. "... But it might just work..."

"Who knows?" Leeteuk nodded in agreement with the Air element. "We can do this!"

"I hope I'm making the right choice in saying yes," Siwon smiled at the group amusedly. "I'm in."

"I think we've got majority rules already," Henry looked uncertain but hopeful. "So I think I can't say no."

"Me either," Donghae nodded. "Okay, I go for."

"I..." Zhou Mi hesitated, contemplating the plan in his head before he tentatively nodded. "Sure... I vote for..." 

Everyone's gaze fell upon the last member. 

"... Do I really have a choice..?" Eunhyuk shook his head sadly. "Alright. I'm in. Let's do this."

"So it's decided then," Leeteuk looked at the group with a encouraging smile. "Head to Ganghwa and enter North Korea from there."

They travelled slightly inland and entered a building to set up a camp for the night. Eunhyuk found Ryeowook bounding up to him.

"Don't you find that it's all the ridiculous ideas that end up being the ones we end up doing?" He sighed exasperatedly to the younger. 

"And yet you don't question that we all have powers." Ryeowook replied as an answer. 

---

A/N:

Hey guys! Another update!

So, from here on in, gets serious. The Guardians are actually making a move! To North Korea, onwards! ;)

I can assure you that there is a lot of drama (not going to say what type) throughout the story in the next chapters, the next few and the ones in the far, far future!

On that note, guess who we've got next on our 'Inner Thoughts List'?

None other than our favourite, know-it-all, arrogant, snarky Death element!

The way I describe him makes him sound mean...

But it's mainly true. Those are his most prominent characteristics in this story (not in real life!)

Quick reminder if you didn’t memorise what was written in the previous chapter (Don’t worry, I haven’t either, just using the copy and paste technique and adding a few alternations, haha): Each sentence has a person’s name next to it. The person whose name is there, is the person that Kyuhyun is ‘talking’ about (He’s talking in a way that it sounds like he’s immediately talking to them, but he actually would never say these word to them). RED means a hostile relationship, BLUE means a positive one, and GREEN means an unsure or unsteady one. Underlined means Cognate (Friend, similar element) and bold & italicised means opposite (completely contrasting, opposite powers, e.g. Water and Fire). Any name that's got both colours in it means the relationship between those two people is kind of teetering between the two statuses. Parentheses (Brackets) with any text in them are what a person thinks about them, but doesn't directly express (e.g. Sungmin -> Kyuhyun: "One step closer, and I'll gut you like a fish, sew you back together, and do it again. (You killed my brother you... You... You demon... Why?!)" <- This bracketed part is what Sungmin doesn't clearly express towards Kyuhyun. If there are a set of parentheses (brackets) that have "..." like this -> (...) or have incoherent words (... You... why... I can... No...) <- like that, then the person has hidden or obscure thoughts about the other person (basically, if I didn't make them dots or random words, I'd be giving huge spoilers)

If you've been super, super observant, you've probably noticed that I've continued to add more 'components' to the inner thoughts. I'm introducing new concepts as each character needs them. For Sungmin and Ryeowook, they don't have any undirect thoughts towards anyone, therefore they didn't need the parentheses (yet).

Kyuhyun:-

-> Jongwoon: "Ah, I love you kid. Just stop treating yourself like crap. (... I... I just... I...)"

-> Sungmin: "Oi, got something bad to say, don't say it at all! (...)"

-> Ryeowook: "Okay, so I know how the whole elements/cognates/opposites/cognates-of-opposites thing works but listen here! Jongwoon hasn't done anything to provoke you, in fact, he's been out of his way to steer right away from you, so why the do you just follow him 'round to spite him (I wish I knew what was really up... Anything to cause less trouble for Jongwoon..)"

-> Leeteuk: "... You and me aren't so different, are we? (No, that shouldn't even be a question. Of course we aren't any different from each other! I can see right through you like I'm looking at a ing mirror. Luckily, I don't have feelings of such angst... Or drama... And thank God!)"

-> Han Geng: "... Okaaay, one more person to add to my 'People-who-don't--like-me-list'. (How many do I have on that again...? Oh yeah, only the entire ing human population!)"

-> Zhou Mi: "Right. I never thought I'd ever find anyone that was completely indifferent to me. Maybe that's pne of the side effects of being stuck in a test tube for five years or something... (What was up with that anyway...?)"

-> Henry: "I admit that you're pretty smart kid (You might just teach us all something kid, even being the youngest here...)."

-> Heechul: "I wonder if one day we'll be able to have an intellectual conversation without you trying to strangle me (Jesus ing Christ... What did I do to the guy? I don't think anyone's hated me this much without a reason... Well, apart from Sungmin.)"

-> Siwon: "... You don't talk much, do ya? (Jesus Christ... Another person to try make awkward conversation with...)"

-> Eunhyuk: "Ahahaha, let's go play StarCraft or something yeah? (ing hell man, you worry like Jongwoon does when I go to the toilet without him knowing...)"

-> Donghae: "You confuse me kid, I ain't gonna lie. But you seem nice enough. (Jongwoon don't kill him yet....)"

As you can see, Kyuhyun swears a lot. In fact, he is probably the one who swears the most, followed by Eunhyuk and then most likely Heechul.

Tell me who you want next in the comments!~

Love you all and hope you enjoy!