Chapter Twenty-Two: Resentfulness

A Crack in History

 

A teenager with brownish red hair and mocha coloured eyes trudged along a log which was balanced between two riverbanks, following a Russian blue cat which pranced on ahead of him. He wore a purple collared shirt, a grey jacket, black jeans and black converse shoes. A deep orchid backpack adorned his shoulders and a brown leather whip with a metal tip was held lazily in his hands.

The cat paused, landing on the grass of the riverbank, its ears perked up and it raised its head towards the human.

"Heechul, do you feel that?"

"Feel what?" The teen, called Heechul, asked after hearing the telepathic call.

"I do not quite know, but it is calling you."

"Calling me? Tch, yeah right Heebum, if something was calling don't you think of feel it too?" Heechul shook his head at the cat, walking up to it and setting himself down next to the cat on the bank. "And besides, if it were calling me, how come you can feel it?"

"I do not know the answer to that either."

"... Wait, by 'that'," Heechul asked placing his whip in his bag. "Did you mean the thing that's been making my eyes glow for the past for the past five minutes?"

"Yes, that."

"Oh, then I can feel 'that'," Heechul confirmed with a nod. "But what is it?"

"I believe it is some type of beacon trying to call us." Heebum hummed.

"... Is it a trap?"

"No, the vibes it sends off are way too... Do I dare say, 'natural'...?”

"... Hm... What if it's a calling of the others?" Heechul murmured playing with the grass. "I don't want to go if it's that."

"Heechul, I know you're scared, but you can't run forever," Heebum purred softly, nuzzling his cheek against Heechul's knee. "You can't run from destiny."

"I know but... I'm really scared..." Heechul held his head in his hands. "I mean... I'm so different... Hell, I don't even know... I just can't go Heebum, I can't."

Heechul shuddered remembering that day, that wretched first day where he had woken up, abandoned, alone. He remembered being scared, awakening to a small, dark shed. He recalled no being able to remember anything and just thinking 'why am I here?' And 'where is everyone?'

"Heechul, you'll end up going eventually, you can't avoid it..." Heebum mewed softly. "It's all a part of the curse..."

"I can't go Heebum, I just can't!" Heechul groaned out frustrated. "I know that I can't run forever but I can run now! And I'll do whatever it takes to just run!"

"Run where Heechul? If I may ask," Heebum hummed thoughtfully. "Where will you run?"

"Away..." Heechul mumbled into his knees. "Anywhere away from here..."

"Why?"

"You know why?"

"Actually, I don't," Heebum stated simply. "You've never actually told me Heechul, all I know is you're scared of something, what is it?"

"They'll judge me Heebum!" Heechul yelled, voice muffled by the denim of his jeans. "They'll think I'm dumb and stupid and... Just plain weird, I can't face anyone without that thought in mind Heebum, I can't."

"But you can," Heebum blinked up at him. "The mind is your life Heechul; it's your comfort, your safety, your sanctuary. That's what you love, investigating thought patterns and discovering how different brains function. You have so much power with those abilities Heechul."

"That's no excuse," Heechul snapped fiercely. "Heebum, I may have powers but what's the point if I can't even use them properly?!"

"But you can." Heebum mumbled, used to his owner's behaviour. "You managed to manipulate a unit of twenty soldiers, that's an incredible achievement."

"That's not good enough though!" Heechul wailed sadly. "Heebum, I'm not good enough, I was never good enough and I never will be!"

"Why do you say that?!" Heebum exclaimed angrily. "Why do you constantly put yourself down when I know, you know, you have so much potential?!"

"Just because I have it doesn't mean I have it now," Heechul muttered bitterly.

"But you do!"

"I erased my own memory Heebum!!!" Heechul yelled down to his cat. "How in the world can you believe I have potential?! I have nothing but a body and stupid powers I can't even use!"

He hated himself for it, he had accidentally erased his own memories from his mind.

And it was the worst mistake in his life.

His family left him for dead in a rotting shed, with no knowledge of anything but his name. The shed served as his home which he stayed in for days until a grey cat came to his rescue. It was only then he discovered what had happened, and he had panicked, asking if he could get his memories back or if he could find his family again, but no such luck. The cat told him he was on his own, and that he had powers over the psychic plain, and educated him about simple things, cooking, personal hygiene, searching for animals to kill and eat, where to find water, it was like living on a deserted island, Heechul thought. The cat, which he had named Heebum at this point, also taught him how to use a whip, why a whip? It had somewhat just seemed like the right weapon for him, and besides, it was really good for strangling soldiers. The cat also educated him about the elemental guardians and 'The Great War III', so he knew all there is to know about the war. Heebum had done so much for him, hell, the cat had even taught him how to control his anger, and that was something Heechul thought was unable to be taught to him.

"Why Heebum... Why was I cursed with such a fate...?" Heechul murmured sadly. "I couldn't really care about the war or anything... I just wanna go home..."

"To where, my dear Heechul? Where is home...?" Heebum's ears flattened against his head in a sign of concern. "Where will we go?"

"Just away," Heechul sighed miserably. "I was thinking I could even-"

"Suicide is not a way out of this Kim Heechul, you know I won't let you," Heebum stated sternly. "You can't just let your duties be handed on to someone else, and if you don't help, the whole human population dies."

"... Yeah yeah, I know," Heechul rolled his eyes. "But what have I got to gain from going to meet eleven other guys how could possibly... I dunno, kill me?"

"A fresh start," Heebum's tail flicked side to side. "A new chapter of your life where you can create memories that will replace the ones you lost."

"... Heebum you know I can't just do that..." Heechul ran a hand from his styled locks. "It's hard."

"Of course it is, doing something rebellious and out of your comfort zone always is," Heebum sat in front of him. "But is it better to stay lost in your past, or lost in your future?"

"... Lost in your future..." Heechul recited as if he were talking to his mother, if he even had one... He couldn't remember.

"Exactly, better to search and discover in the future then in the past Heechul," Heebum purred happily. "You of all people know this best."

"... I know..." Heechul sat up straighter. "Of course I know."

"There's the Heechul I know."

"Shut up Heebum," Heechul laughed as he stood up, adjusting the backpack on his back.

He looked down at the grey cat, which stood on all fours and flicked his tail as a sign of attentiveness. He readied himself to pounce and run.

"Well then..." Heechul smirked as he started to run, eyes shining a bright orchid.

"If we're writing a new chapter in my story, then let's make a bloody good one."

---

Hi Guys!

Sorry I haven't been updating for a while! I was away on holiday and I couldn't really update! ^^

I was in Hawaii! At the same time Suju were! We were actually staying on the same sort of street as them!

Too bad we didn't see them T_T

I missed my birthday as well ^^ We were in Hawaii on the 17th (of July) and arrived on the 19th. My birthday's on the 18th (Same as Eunhae day???)

Hope you enjoy this! I should have another chapter up soon, I promise!

I love you all for bearing with me!