Chapter Thirty-Two: Objective

A Crack in History

A few days had passed with the group moving anywhere and everywhere without a real destination or objective. None of them really knew what to do, and none of them had tried suggesting anything.

As for the social status of the members of the group, Eunhyuk and Donghae had more than a few bickering sessions, but there had been no contact. Jongwoon intervened any type of violence or advance of fight on Kyuhyun by Sungmin or Heechul. He also just brushed off Ryeowook's reprimands and lashes. Zhou Mi and Henry had exchanged a few blows, nothing more than a few burns and scratches, but concerning never the less. Fire and Water, fierce enemies.

"This is ridiculous," Eunhyuk sighed exasperatedly as they ate around a small fire. "We've been running around for days and we've literally accomplished nothing."

"So what do you suggest?" Kyuhyun asked while trying to feed Jongwoon a piece of fish. "Come on! Just eat it! I don't care if I'm not finished! I will!"

Eunhyuk stared at the duo strangely. "Um... We need to make a plan."

"Okay," Leeteuk agreed immediately. "If we're gonna make a plan, let's start with the basics. What are we trying to achieve?"

"Saving the world?" Sungmin snorted under his breath.

"Maybe a bit more than that," Leeteuk said sheepishly. "More specific?"

Jongwoon put a hand up, making everyone look at him weirdly, he took this as permission to speak.

"Judging by what's happened in the previous loops, I'd say something to do with the 'ultimate power'..." Jongwoon stated, as he opened his mouth, Kyuhyun shoved a piece of fish into his mouth. Jongwoon looked at him with a 'really?' look and finished eating before continuing. "What is it? The Omniscience? Made up of each of the twelve elements, the God energy."

 

"Yeah, that's right," Siwon nodded with understanding. "Also, the Omniscience appears at the beginning of each loop. According to the news stories I've seen floating about, and the North Koreans, it came about in 2433 or something."

"Wait, but that means it’s been around for over thirty years," Donghae frowned. "It's 2471 now."

"Um... My fault..." Kyuhyun coughed.

"Your fault?"

"I was born in 2012."

"... Right... So if it appears every time the loop starts," Ryeowook said slowly. "It must disappear when the loop stops, or when the guardians fail or die, whichever comes first."

"And what can we deduce from that?" Kyuhyun questioned the group. "That our goal is...?"

No one said anything, clearly not getting the point. Kyuhyun glanced at Leeteuk hopefully. The Life element frowned. He then swivelled his head over at Jongwoon with a desperate look, but even he seemed bewildered. The Death element pressed a palm to his face and shook his head. Patiently, he tried again.

"Okaaaay, let's go a bit deeper," Kyuhyun sighed exasperatedly. "The Omniscience only makes itself apparent within the time barrier of which all of the elements are alive. Correct? Well, sort of, it appears roughly around the time the elements are. I guess it can't be perfect..."

"Yeah," Donghae confirmed nibbling at a piece of melon (he had refused to eat fish). "And it fades away, or hides, when the loop ends or one of the guardians dies or they fail."

"We've discussed this." Ryeowook stated bluntly.

"I know, but we're piecing it all together now," Kyuhyun replied politely. "Anyway. If the Omniscience isn't around when the guardians either aren't needed or old enough to do their duties..."

"It means that it's only present when the guardians are needed?" Henry answered, but then frowned. "Hang on, that doesn't make any sense, we already know that."

"Why would he tell us something we already know?" Zhou Mi rolled his eyes. Henry glared at him. 

"Go deeper than that sir," Jongwoon suggested before a fight could begin, placing a hand in front of Zhou Mi to stop him from moving and potentially attacking Henry. "Think about it..."

"... The Omniscience and the guardians are obviously connected. And it only appears when the guardians do. So that means that the Omniscience doesn't want to be seen by humans... Well, normal people... Seeming we are technically still human," Han Geng shrugged unsurely. "But the North Koreans found it... So what does that mean?"

"Well, if the soldiers are trying to capture us that obviously means that we are a key component to doing something with the thing," Heechul replied with a sigh, he petted Heebum. "I don't think that they can do anything with it by themselves. It's too powerful and will probably just consume their bodies and make them disintegrate. Or something like that."

"I think any one of us would disintegrate if we tried touching that thing." Kyuhyun added dryly.

"I agree," Heebum's purr reached everyone's ears. "But they do want all of you, don't they? Yet that doesn't particularly have anything to do with the Omniscience..."

"... I'm still freaked out by the fact that your cat can talk," Eunhyuk said slowly. "But he's right, what does that have anything to do with the Omniscience?"

"Well, we can assume that they need all twelve of us to do something," Sungmin hummed thoughtfully. "Something big... Like build a perfect race or something... The root 'omni' means 'all' and 'scient' means 'knowing', I'm pretty sure... I'm guessing it’s something along the lines of an all-knowing race."

"Going back to the main question..." Leeteuk butted in. "What is the Omniscience trying to do?"

"... Attention...!" Siwon interrupted suddenly, making everyone jump at the abrupt exclamation. "Um, sorry. It's just that I figured it out. The Omniscience is trying to get us to go towards it. Because it appears when we do, and disappears when we aren't there. The only logical explanation is because it wants us to go to it. And do something..."

"You talk about it likes it's a person." Henry frowned on confusion.

"It's 'all-knowing', it probably has a conscious." 

"Well done," Kyuhyun applauded before continuing. "Next question: Why would the Omniscience want us to go towards it?"

"To hide it?" Donghae pouted.

"Or to talk to it," Eunhyuk countered nonchalantly, earning weird looks, he added. "You guys did say there was a possibility of it having a conscious."

"True," Kyuhyun admitted with a nod. "But why would a giant ball of 'all-knowing-ness' want to talk to us?"

"I see your point."

"Okay, so we have to hide it." Heechul repeated.

"What would be the point in that?" Zhou Mi leant back again a concrete brick he'd stood up. "It can already hide by itself, and why would we find it just to hide it again, the reason seems too... Stupid, for the lack of a better word."

"Good," Kyuhyun nodded in approval. "Zhou Mi is right. We wouldn't need to hide the Omniscience if it can do that itself. More suggestions?"

"Take it and run away with it forever?" Ryeowook said lazily. "But that would be boring and annoying on our part."

"Not that?" Siwon rubbed his eyes. "Okay, what about storing it somewhere?"

"If it can hide itself, then I don't think we'd need to store it." Sungmin pointed out with a 'matter-of-factly' voice.

"What about if we destroyed it?" Henry asked curiously.

Everyone turned towards him with unbelieving looks. Henry shrugged and held his hands up.

"It's a suggestion."

"Are you kidding?" Han Geng looked at the Water element incredulously. "How would we destroy it?"

"... Do you think that if it has a conscious..." Eunhyuk said slowly. "And if it's 'all-knowing', it would know how to destroy itself?"

"Because of course we're going to ask a ball of 'all-knowing' energy to self-implode." Ryeowook deadpanned.

"It's a possibility!"

"What? ”Oh, hey, we were just wondering how we could destroy you!", "Really? Oh, fabulous, of course I'll tell you!" Does that actually seem realistic to you?!" Ryeowook exclaimed flailing his arms. 

"I said it might have a conscious, not emotions." Eunhyuk objected. 

"Why would we destroy it?" Leeteuk looked confused. "It's made of all the elements, if we blew it up or something; wouldn't that just completely obliterate the planet Earth?"

"No, because of us," Sungmin commented. "I'd see how you'd think of that. But it's highly unlikely; we ourselves contain a sample of each of the twelve forces. So technically, the world would still have them all."

"But what would be the point of destroying it?"

Jongwoon put his hand up again, earning a litany of 'yes's in his general direction.

"To stop the loop?" Jongwoon suggested cautiously. "The Omniscience is the main reason there are loops and wars to begin with. Why don't we just stop the problem at its source?"

Everyone looked up at him in awe, he just looked confused.

"What?"

"Did you know that all along?" Leeteuk asked curiously. 

"Not really sir, I concluded some points from the facts that came out during conversation. I figured it out as we went, so you could say sir."

"Does that mean you have a plan???" Eunhyuk narrowed his eyes at him.

"I believe Master has figured it out sir."

"I have not." Kyuhyun objected blankly.

"Scratches on the back of your neck sir," Jongwoon noted pointing at his slightly red nape. "And your brow had been furrowed for the past few minutes."

"I don't really think it can be defined as a plan," Kyuhyun admitted with a hint of regret. "It is more of a one-way path. We don't have any other choices."

"Okay then wise guy, spill," Ryeowook sighed uninterested. "What is it?"

"We have to destroy the Omniscience, correct?" Kyuhyun looked in Ryeowook's general direction with a uncertain stare.

"Yeah?"

"And where is the Omniscience?"

"... You're kidding," Heechul scoffed. "We can't. It's impossible, we'll die on sight!"

"We don't have any other choices," Kyuhyun stated firmly. What else can we do? It's not like the Omniscience will come flying to us, will it?"

"He's got a point." Eunhyuk muttered looking away. Other murmured in quiet agreement. 

They all remained silent for a while, unsure of what to say now their plans had been decided. 

"... So that's the plan then..." Han Geng finally spoke up, voice rough and grave. "We're going to North Korea."

---

28/12/13: DOUBLE UPDATE- If you have no idea what’s going on, go back a chapter~

Special update for you guys ^_^