Chapter Seventeen: Purpose- Ryeowook

A Crack in History

Ryeowook didn't really know a lot about the whole Elemental Guardians thing, but he certainly knew why he was here.

He was the Light element, chosen by fate and given one of the most important roles in history you can ever have. There was no questioning about it, it was just something that was unquestionable, it was him and only him who had been given the burden of controlling the element of Light. But other than that, he didn't know anything about the guardians, even now all he knew was that there were twelve of them, and they had to do something to stop this cycle of bloodshed and save the world. So he didn't really think about it too much, because he knew the basics, and he guessed that was all you really needed. He knew that their purpose was to save the world, he knew that much.

He also knew that there was definitely a stone in front of them.

It was a greyish-blue, and about the size of a pineapple if he had to compare it to something. The surface of it was slightly rough and it was much like a rounded rectangular column, a reasonably-sized spiral groove covering one of the flatter sides. The spiral was coloured with white wash, Ryeowook guess, and writing was on the back, having been etched in. Though he couldn't quite read what it said, as the etching

Leeteuk had led them there, well, not there specifically, just to the area where it was, yet it confused Ryeowook how such an object gave off a type of life signature, it was a rock, correct, rocks are inanimate objects, they don't have a life. They had been awoken at seven in the morning by the Life element, and had been informed that Leeteuk had managed to track down supernatural life signatures, and had told them where these life signatures were and here they were. It had been up high, standing proudly on top of a crumbling pillar, how it got there, Ryeowook was unsure, but it was definitely there, especially when it almost fell right on top of Han Geng's head, Donghae pulling the older out of the way just before he got a concussion. Curious, the Light element touched it, it was cold against his hand, but he picked it up anyways, it wasn't unbearable...

"How is this alive?" He asked Leeteuk via a radio. "This is a rock."

[Yes, but no.] Leeteuk answered as the younger passed the rock to Han Geng, who was showing a unknown interest in it. [This rock here, is alive Ryeowook, it had feelings and is able to perceive pain and sorrow, just like you, it is special.]

"... Hyung... It's calling me..." Han Geng murmured softly, the rock in his hands as if it were a pet.

"... It's a rock..." Donghae stated increduously. "A rock..."

[It's a special rock.] Leeteuk repeated. [It's alive, it's obviously Han Geng's one, so it vearns for him, for his element, for his power to flood it... It wants the Air element, and Han Geng wants it too... Like a mutual agreement made unconsciously...]

"But what is it?" Ryeowook frowned looking over at Han Geng again. "What is it, like, specifically..."

[What do you mean 'what is it?", this is everything!] Leeteuk exclaimed excitedly, Eunhyuk's voice yelling in the background. [It's a lead, a path, it's a connection, it's a sign, it's something, anything, it's taking us on the right track... It's hope...]

"... Yeah..." Ryeowook mumbled with a shaky voice. "I guess it is..."

[Exactly!] Leeteuk chirped triumphantly. [So keep looking, these rocks have to lead us to somewhere, the fact that they're able to interact with our abilities is a clue to what they do!]

Ryeowook and Donghae looked towards the Air element, who was experimentally hovering the rock above himself. The white spiral glowed and seemed to hum happily, Han Geng laughing along with it. Leeteuk had been right, it was alive, well, it hummed, and glowed, he guessed that meant it was alive...

[Oh! Well, Eunhyuk's getting restless again! So, sorry, I have to go!] Leeteuk said in a sing-song voice. [Oh! And you might want to hurry it up a bit with the finding of the yoso-dol~]

"Yoso-dol?" Donghae asked curiously. "What is that?"

[What are they, you mean.] Leeteuk chuckled happily. [They're the name of the stones~ And I seriously meant hurry it up, we've got two already and on the way to find our third!~]

"What?!" Ryeowook yelled, surprised. "You've found two of these things?! Already?!"

[Well, yeah, I mean, it wasn't hard...] Leeteuk said nonchalantly. [We went to the Geumcheon district and found two of them, right next to each other... And a dead body... Now we've travelled on to the Guro district and are finding another one a few yards away... So yeah, get moving... Okay! Okay! Coming Hyukjae!]

Leeteuk hung up abruptly, leaving the trio in silence, Han Geng caught the rock in his hold again, looking up at the other two he put the rock in his backpack.

"Let's get moving... The next district is a couple of hours away... If we can get there, find the stone, we may be able to find our third by nightfall..."

---

After the sudden realisation of the yoso-dol, Han Geng had snapped back into his 'leadership-kinda' role (as he called it), plotting out another path leading them to the stones. It had been such a quick, unreal change, the other two were unsure about Han Geng's mental health, perhaps he had two personalities... But Han Geng had just rolled his eyes and said he had needed to do a bit of acting in the past, so his skills were good. Still a bit uncertain, they had shrugged and followed Han Geng. They had passed through the rest of the Jung district easily, and were now heading towards the evercalling beacon of the second stone. It had been a wonder to Ryeowook to how the North Korean soldiers had never discovered these rocks, maybe they never thought they had any sentimental value to them, or had not seen them when they had invaded and left the city to rot, too blinded by rage and anger to care. Donghae had told him not to think too much, once he had noticed the quietness of the youngest male, he told him it was an easy way to scare yourself.

"Leeteuk explained it to me." Donghae had replied when Ryeowook had questioned the topic. "Eunhyuk usually did, and still does, think too much and question unanswerable questions, pondering over the future and what would happen to us way too much, over exerting his brain and causing him to break down, this leading to a panic attack, like the one you had the other day... I was really worried when I saw it happen the first time... Eunhyuk was so pale, and Leeteuk had had to stop me from having one too... Leeteuk said they happen to all us elements, once or twice, but Eunhyuk's natural thinking system make him get them more often... I've had one, Teukie's had one, Han Geng is yet to have one, but Leeteuk is worried about him, as apparently he likes to keep things to himself a lot..."

Ryeowook decided not to think too much about everything after Donghae's explanation, nodding in reply as the older rambled on while they travelled on, although, when he heard the worry laced into Donghae's voice, he began to listen again.

"... I really care about him... He's so brash and up-himself sometimes I think that he'll get himself killed, which he almost has mind you... I juat want to get along with him better... But he's a little too stubborn for that... I think..." Donghae sighed, looking over at the younger. "You don't mind do you?"

"Not at all." he replied with a smile. "Spill your guts."

"Thanks Ryeowook." Donghae said happily, looking ahead. "It's nice to finally talk to you."

The younger nodded as Donghae raced ahead, jumping up and activating the jet boosters built into his suit, using them to fly up to Han Geng's height again, leaving him alone on the ground. Not that he minded.

"We should get to the Seodaemun district soon." Han Geng instructed, flying up ahead, calling back. "Then Leeteuk said to go to the Jongno then Dongdaemun districts before heading to the Gwanjin district to finish, as originally planned..."

Ryeowook and Donghae nodded, the Metal element flying along side Han Geng with help of his suit while Ryeowook ran below them, on the ground. The Air element looked up ahead and hovering while reading the map.

"Yep... Almost... WAH! Oof!"

Han Geng went spiralling to the ground, the map falling from his grasp. Ryeowook scrambled to catch the map while Donghae tended to Han Geng, swooping down and carrying the older male in his weak hold before lowering him to the ground, Ryeowook meeting them there.

"What was that?" Ryeowook asked increduously. "You basically tumbled out of the sky."

"I don't know, but it felt like something was grabbing me..." Han Geng frowned, scratching his head. "Eh... Maybe if I just ignore it, it'll pass, all the weird stuff has been happening to me so... Meh... It's kinda not surprising..."

"I dunno..." Donghae pouted, raising a quizzical eyebrow. "That was weird... Even with all this element stuff..."

"Let's not worry about it now." Han Geng sighed, floating back up and flying ahead. "Well, c'mon!"

Donghae nodded, immediately activating his jet boosters again before racing off to catch up to Han Geng. Ryeowook watched them go, there was an uneasy presence settling either in the area or around him... He was not sure. He scanned his surroundings slowly, eyes narrowing with defence, was someone else here? It almost felt like there was a pair of eyes glaring down at him from behind. The insecure Light element whipped his head around, looking up at the skyscrapers before lowering his gaze to the ground slowly. Nothing...

He couldn't say the feeling was gone, but it didn't seem like someone was watching them, or him, so he darted off, speeding away down the road to catch up with the other two.

Ryeowook now thought he knew what their purpose was now... It was to help people, make people able to sleep without feeling like a pair of eyes was glaring down at you. It was trying to make a new start, a breakthrough in a never-ending cycle humanity had caught itself in, it was to try and make it so the world was at peace, the people were at peace, to eliminate greed and want for power from society... It didn't make sense, but it made a lot more sense than just 'to save the world', that reason seemed to brief, to general and superficial... They were there for something... Of course they were... They were there to help.

---

After he had raced off, a figure emerged from their hiding place of deep within an alleyway, watching the boy run off. The person closed their eyes before escaping to the hidden areas of the dark.

"Interesting..."

---

A/N:

... Honestly... IDK what to say man...

It's kinda crappy...

But the person is interesting?

You decide

:D

ILY