Chapter Twenty-Five: Follower

A Crack in History

A flash of black, purple and white swept through the city as a teenage male made his way through the city with remarkable speed. He skidded to a stop, looking up at the buildings behind him, waiting for something to expectantly pop out. His black jacket flapped in the wind as he stood still, revealing the white shirt underneath. Two katana swords hung off a belt on either side of his hips, purple ribbons tied around the handles of the twin blades. Camouflage pants coloured with different hues of grey ranging from pitch black to the palest grey were tucked into tall combat boots, the lengthy shoes ending at just below his knees, covering most of his long shins.

"Over here!"

The teen looked in front of him to find another teenage male in front of him, standing on the awning of the building right ahead. This male had a Cheshire grin on his face. He wore a black jacket with a deep red t-shirt, black skinny jeans and red converse, a backpack was slung lazily over his shoulders, a double-edged scythe attached to the back of his bag. Deep brown hair was slightly curled and his mocha eyes sparkled with childish playfulness.

"Hello sir," the former teen bowed deeply. "You bet me this time."

"Only because I got a head start!" The one who had been called 'sir' sighed exasperatedly. "You're way too fast for me otherwise."

"I sincerely apologise my powers abilities to spread quickly have been passed on to me," the one dressed in black and purple apologised humbly. "But I am in it to win, as you would say."

"I know Jongwoon, I know," 'Sir' rolled his eyes. "But hey! I just need to train more, right?"

"Of course.”

Jongwoon's eyes began to glow purple, and he felt something drawing him towards a fixed point, he froze. This is what he was fearing, he looked towards the other, whose eyes were glowing red.

"Jongwoon..."

"P-please..." Jongwoon stuttered, slowly crouching on the ground. "Please don't m-make us g-go..."

"Jongwoon..."

"Master, I beg of you, please!" Jongwoon gazed up at his leader. "We can't do this. It's unsafe, I know what they will do to us, to you."

"I know," the Master sighed sadly. "Life's not fair is it? But we saw this coming Jongwoon, we were only waiting for it, counting down until we had to go."

"... Master... K-Kyuh-hyun..." Jongwoon rasped out. "What about..."

"I've grown up now," Kyuhyun smiled at him halfheartedly. "I'll be fine Jongwoon, I promise, they won't hurt me. And if they do, you can kill them if you want. Um... Locate the source would you? My head still hurts from the last fit I had..."

Jongwoon rose from the ground, staring at Kyuhyun with a harsh gaze. He nodded, and bowed before looking forwards.

He was genuinely concerned for Kyuhyun, but he wasn't allowed to question his word, he had bound himself to the other for life. Jongwoon had watched Kyuhyun grow up, he had seen him in his best times, and at his worse, he had been with him during every battle, and had been there when everyone else hadn't, it was his job and duty to look after Kyuhyun's every need, his every problem and the boy himself. It was the only thing he'd ever known how to do, look after Kyuhyun. After meeting in particular circumstances, the latter's father had offered him a chance to live once more, the only condition, take on the burden of being the Darkness element, and stay loyal to Kyuhyun no matter what, if he didn't comply, he'd be taken away. Jongwoon didn't mind looking after Kyuhyun, in fact it was more of a chance to regain himself from his horrible past. He dedicated his life to the younger; Kyuhyun was the person who made him have a purpose in life, a purpose to live.

"Of course."

He closed his eyes, letting the Element Guardian's instincts take over him, subconsciously making a mind map of the city and tracing the source back to their current location and a suitable route to get there with avoiding all signs of danger. Jongwoon opened his eyes and looked upwards, scanning the sky for the lack of natural darkness present in the area.

"Someone has been past us, judging by the amount of darkness not present in the air, I would say Phenomena, not too little, not too much, a little abnormal due to the strange glowing aura he would seem to emit," Jongwoon reported back, scanning the buildings around them. "Trail follows an unnatural vapour pattern, suggesting either Water or Air, presumptuously the former due to such control over the vapour; it is made of water and therefore more able to be manipulated by the reigning element than moved into position by the breeze. Location is a museum about a seven point eight walk, five point four minute run, from here, appears to be what we would call a 'meeting' of the Elemental guardians, seeming the to trails and the supernatural amount of light energy emitting from it. I'd say our assumption is correct. Do you wish to continue?"

"Yeah... Wait a second," Kyuhyun raised an eyebrow at Jongwoon. "How can you sense light energy?"

"The lack of darkness in an area can indicate how much light is being emitted from a place. There is an average of about 10000 to 25000 lux in sunlight like this, and it shows within my vision of locating darkness within an area."

"I see," Kyuhyun nodded thoughtfully, watching as Jongwoon's form darkened and fell to the ground. "Well, lead the way and I hope you do not intended to stay like that forever."

"As much time as I can get." Jongwoon murmured, looking away.

Kyuhyun looked down at the concrete with a shake of his head, sighing at the extra shadow that had joined his own, a shadow with no owner. Jongwoon often used this form for stealth missions, so it was supposedly natural for him to be using it now. He wants to hide from anyone he can, they had both grown up being hated, and it was something they both didn't want to go back to, the hating.

"Master, hurry," Jongwoon’s voice rang through his ears, the shadow on the ground dashing away. "This way sir."

Kyuhyun nodded, swiftly following the shadow that made its way through the streets of the crumbling metropolis. He felt that alluring feeling drawing him closer towards whatever it was calling him, he couldn't tell. It was sounded like a distant hum, a muffle voice yearning him to go wherever it was. Ahead, he soon saw it, the remains of a crumbled museum and the unnatural light Jongwoon had been talking about. There were people, the other elements who were waiting for them. He was scared, for Jongwoon and himself, too many times had they been exiled, too many times they had been shunned and wanted dead. Nobody wanted them.

They were alone.

Kyuhyun looked down as he took a place behind one of the pedestals with a skull as its symbol. He looked beside him to see Jongwoon's shadow place a hand on the shadow of his stand. They had been the last to arrive, so what happened next, Kyuhyun had no idea. He looked glumly ahead into the centre of the circle as the bright white light obscured them all.

"This is it."

---

Hi guys!

Sorry I haven't been active as of late... But between school work and real-life problems, keeping up with my writing is hard

But I have a DOUBLE update for you guys!!! (See next chapter)

I really hope I can give you guys updates faster in the future... But anyway, it's the arrival of Kyuhyun and Jongwoon (NOT Yesung)!

Happy reading~