Chapter Twenty-Three: Bitterness

A Crack in History

The dripping of water filled a large, deep underground cave, limewater trickling off the ends of stalactites and on to small tapering stalagmites which rose from the ground. Suddenly, a surge of energy rippled through the ground and through the body of a teenager who lay on the ground.

 He opened his eyes. How long had he been sleeping? Whatever, it wouldn't matter now, he sat up and pressed a hand to the ground beneath him, another pulse of energy vibrating up his arm. His eyes shone with a lime green glow as he sat up, looking upwards. Standing up and walking to one of the sides of the area he was in, he pressed a hand to a ragged wall of earth, trying to calculate the origins of the strange waves of sudden energy that seemed to be alluring him. His brow furrowed with thought and his eyes narrowed, shooting out beams of green light in the darkness. He ran a hand through deep brown spiked hair and looked at the rough earth beneath his fingers.

"Hm..." He hummed to the wall. "This is rather strange..."

The earth rumbled and shook above, below and beside him, and groaning in reply, he nodded with understanding and closed his eyes.

"I understand, you wish me to go to these waves?" He answered looking up. "Very well, I shall go, but is it a trap of some sort?"

The earth moved again, rumbling softly. Small pebbles littering the ground rattled in non-rhythmic patterns, adding to the sounds surrounding him.

"No, it isn't a trap?" He asked curiously, looking at the wall with slight shock. "Well, I am not one to question your demands, and if God says I am to be in a particular place at a particular time, I am not one to refuse."

He walked over and began to pack what little things he had in a small satchel. A water pouch, thin blanket, a spare change of clothing, and an old book.

The old book was particularly special. It was called the Bible, and was the scripture of a now ancient religion called Christianity. This religion was one where people believed in an all holy being called 'God', who was said to have created the world and all its glory. It was also the only thing he had left from his parents, as they had taught him this way of belief. He had grown up with this so it had naturally embedded itself on him, and now it was just natural to follow the laws and rights of this ancient religion.

If he had to tell the truth, his parents didn't love him, but they didn't hate him either. Once they discovered he was one of the twelve elements, they treated him differently, they trained him, and prepared him for the final battles, but they never loved him. He had powers over the earth, the land of the world, able to manipulate and shape it to his will, able to lift it and crush it or form it, he had amazing power, and he could even create a massive earthquake. They saw him as someone who didn't need love; he was created to save the world from corrupting itself, a world protector, a robot, a machine. Someone with no heart and soul. Sometimes he felt like it too.

He guessed that was why the small little book with yellowing pages was so important to him, because it may of been the only sign of love his parents ever have him. That was extremely significant for him, so he kept it.

"You have to go now..."

"I know Mother," the brown haired teen sighed. "I shall get moving now."

It wasn't really his mother talking to him, he might've gone crazy if it was, but it was the earth, Mother Earth, and that's why he called the voice calling out to him 'Mother'. If he had to make a comparison, he would've said that Mother Earth was more like a parent to him than his real mother and father put together, he really appreciated her. It was probably because she had been with him, through thick times and thin, his parents weren’t.

He looked up and breathed deeply. Closing his eyes, he lifted one foot and pressed his hands together. Stomping his foot down while separating his hands in a quick movement, spreading his arms out like a bird. The earth above him split for him with a heart-stopping crack, a jagged crevice opening above to the Living World. Sunlight seeped down the abyss, flooding his small cave with bright light. He then jumped up, latching himself to one of the rough walls of the gap before hopping off to the other, propelling himself up the walls and into the outside world. He squinted at the harsh sunlight, shielding his eyes so they could adjust to the brightness of it.

He hadn't been up here for a while, maybe a few months now, it had changed so much in that small time, soldiers had probably run through the land, destroying the life around it. Siwon blinked, knelt down and pressed a hand to the ground, another heavy wave rushed through him.

"The waves are a lot stronger here," he mused to himself. "It's no surprise they reached me deep underground… The only thing is… Why are they there? This is extremely unusually activity for the earth… And I’m not even the one causing it…"

He tracked the origin of the energy waves to be not too far away from him, only about fifty kilometres from his present place. Deeper in the city where an old building stood, he could sense it. He created a column that propelled him over a block of buildings before landing atop a skyscraper and jumping along their roofs until he reached the energy's point of origin. He stared down at the city below with a sad face.

Looking around made him realise why he had taken refuge in the earth again. The world above was scarred with the marks of war and bloodshed, underground; it was safe and sheltered, unmarred by the effects of war. He had been staying down there for a few months now, but he had accepted that there would be a time where he had to emerge from his sanctuary, face the world and fight for the survival of the human race, and his life. He was guessing that maybe that time was now, after all, it's not every day you feel energy waves rushing through the ground, do you?

It was the remnants of a stone building, the ruins surrounding it and dusts curling around the area, indicating that the ruins were quite recent. Stone columns in a circle stood with people behind them. Curiously he jumped down and instantly felt lured to a stone with a symbol of a circle that glowed green on it. He walked up to it cautiously and pressed his hand to it. It hummed happily and he smiled down at it fondly, this was weird. He sent a surge of energy through it and the symbol glowed more intensely. He didn't notice there were other people there until he had finished admiring the stone and began to take in his surroundings. There were several other people located around the circle, all blinking at him curiously.

"... What's going on...?" He asked politely across the circle.

"... Um... Just be patient and we'll explain everything," someone to his left stuttered quickly. "What's your name?"

The male next to him had grey glowing eyes, hazelnut brown hair and a face that kind of resembled a fish....

"I'm Choi Siwon," he introduced. "It's nice to meet you."

---

Hi again! I told you I'd be back ^^

Sorry for not elaborating on Heechul's arrival, I just really thought that was a really good place to end (the previous chapter).

But the arrival of a new person is here (OTL Does that even make sense???)

Happy reading ^^

ILY all <3