Chapter Fifteen: Beginning- Han Geng

A Crack in History

Technically, Leeteuk was the leader of their group, of the elements when they were all united again. But when he had announced that they were splitting up, Han Geng couldn't help but feel like a burden had been placed upon his shoulders.

Maybe it was because he always had the urge to protect the older, he wanted to always know that Leeteuk was safe and at peace. He couldn't describe it really, it was almost like an instinct. Ever since the Life element had found him when they were younger, he had always wanted to be there for him, to pay back the favour. Their reunion had been nothing exciting, small exchanges of greetings and weak conversations, Han Geng had always imagined it as millions of stories and the adventures they'd been on without each other, yet when the time came, Ryeowook had been in a state, so that probably affected the happiness factor of it all...

"Geng. What are we actually doing?" Ryeowook's voice reached his ears and he floated down to meet the two on the ground. "We're at the border of Yongsan."

"..." The Air element looked up at the gigantic city that towered over them, he turned to his friends. "We take on the Northern districts of Seoul, while Eunhyuk and Leeteuk search the South..."

Han Geng and Leeteuk had stayed up a little later, discussing plans and communication arrangements. Yet they had also talked a lot, Han Geng discovered Eunhyuk had not been coping well, his social interaction skills had dropped durastically and he'd had a couple of panic attacks since he'd left, one right after, the other only a few months ago. Leeteuk had been fairing well, although he'd been a bit shaken up without him there, and the two had been a bit lost at where to go before deciding to reside in Seoul, where they met the Metal element, who he himself was quite new with, Donghae. He seemed like a nice enough guy, Eunhyuk seemed to hate him though, for reasons Han Geng was quite unsure of, as Metal and Electricity were actually quite compatible elements. He decided he was over thinking it way too much, so he shook the thoughts from his head and grabbed out a map marked with the path they were taking.

"We'll head through the Jung district, to the West into the Mapo district." Han Geng mumbled, eyes flitting across the map. "Then follow the North-West border of the city to the Seodaemun, Eunpyeong, Jongno, Seongbuk, Gangbuk and Dobong districts before heading down through the Nowon, Jungnang, Dongdaemun and Seongdong districts and meeting up near the Han River at the edge of the Gwangjin district, opposite the Gangdong district, where Leeteuk and Eunhyuk will finish."

"... And where do they go?" Donghae asked timidly, walking along side Ryeowook. 

Was Donghae scared of him? He wasn't quite sure, the younger seemed to have some sort of feeling Han Geng could only identify as 'fear' directed towards him. He frowned, did he do something? Or was it because air, or oxygen, can affect metals by oxiding them? Maybe he was scared that he'd hurt him? Han Geng furrowed his brow in thought, random possibilities explaining why he seemed scared of him running through his head. Donghae tensed when he saw Han Geng's eyes on him, yet the older averted his glance to the map again.

"They went in the opposite way to us." Han Geng stated while they walked into the Jung district. "They'll go from the Yongsan district across the Han River and into the Dongjak district before heading into the Gwanak district before heading up the South-West border of the city through the Geumcheon, Guro, Yangcheon and arrive in the Gangseo district. From there, they'll enter the Yeongdeungpo through the small passage right next to the river. Then they'll go back through the Dongjak district and travel onwards in the Seocho, Gangnam and Songpa districts before ending in the Gangdong district."

"And basically we just look for the other elements?" Ryeowook raised an eyebrow. "Or supernatural activity leading to Elemental Guardians?"

"Pretty much..." Han Geng nodded. "C'mon... We want this to be quick... Well, as quick as we can get without Eunhyuk's super speed..."

"I can run at the speed of light." Ryeowook huffed, folding his arms. "I just don't do it much."

"Okay Wook... Whatever you say..." Han Geng smiled at him. 'Now... Where should we begin...?"

"The start is a good place..." Ryeowook pointed out. "Scan this entire district, it shouldn't take us longer than a day, this is one of the smaller divisions."

"Okay..." Han Geng agreed. "I guess that's where all journeys begin, huh?"

"Well, where else?" Ryeowook shrugged, going on ahead. "C'mon, let's get this show on the road."

---

The trio had scanned the whole district thoroughly, Ryeowook having scanned the area for life using his powers to sense light energy, which indicated artificial or man-made fire or light sources, such as torches. It was sunset now, the sun disappearing behind the horizon and the sky was painted with streaks of pinky-orange and reds. They had found a empty motel room, which hadn't been raided and seemed suitable to sleep in. Ryeowook had informed that there were no soldiers near them, but he declared they have a look out anyways. They had settled in quite decently, Han Geng on a couch, Donghae sprawled on the carpeted floor and Ryeowook perched upon a photon plate which he'd created, and was now meditating on.

"Jung district, check." Han Geng mumbled, looking at the map on his lap, crossing out the said place with red pen. "Elements, no..."

"Well, we can't expect too much.." Donghae shrugged, rolling on to his back. "It's our first day, and in the end we may not even find any of the other guardians... They could be anywhere in Korea, in the world!"

"I agree..." Ryeowook sighed, opening a glowing eye. "But what else can we do? We can't sit here like ducks until they come waltzing to our doorstep, that could take forever, and we don't have forever."

"We can try." Han Geng hummed, stowing the map in his bag. "I wonder how the others are going..."

"They're probably fine." Ryeowook assured. "It's Leeteuk, he's good at keeping others safe."

"-No matter what the cost." Han Geng finished. "Teukie takes things to the extreme when protecting Hyukjae... I worry sometimes..."

"Well, Leeteuk's always like that..." Donghae said nonchalantly. "He's like a mother hen... Always looking after her chicks... Actually, mainly Eunhyuk, but everyone..."

"Well, he has his reasons." Han Geng muttered, creating an small tornado in his palm. "Hyukjae's like his own brother, son, heck, maybe even his own twin or duplicate... They have bonds that no one can... Relate to... It's almost like they're the same person but... Completely different at the same time... They think alike, they almost always think the same things... But their personalities are almost oppposite..."

Donghae sat up, raising an eyebrow and Ryeowook opened both his eyes, focusing his attention on the speaking Air element with newfound curiosity. The youngest manoeuvred his photon plate towards the eldest, dodging Donghae's head and repositioning himself right next to the Chinese teen.

"But why?" Ryeowook frowned, looking up in wonder. "Why would they be like that? Bonded?"

"I-I don't know..." Han Geng admitted. "But Hyukjae says that it's Leeteuk and I who are connected... And I-I don't think that's right... Because I haven't seen him for years..."

"But you are..." Donghae furrowed his brow. "You are connected..."

"... How can you tell...?" Ryeowook asked increduously. "And make such an assumption so easily?"

"... I don't actually know..." Donghae scrunched up his face. "But I feel the exact same way with Eunhyuk... I mean, we may hate each other, or he may hate me, but we're actually very much alike... Well, maybe with the exception of he hates savory things and I hate sweet things... But, I mean, when we do work together, we work like a well oiled machine. We can agree on things, we can work as a team, a really good team, we know exactly what the other is trying to do when we see each other's actions, we can stand each other, we can actually enjoy each other's company for a little while, and we can cooperate... When he actually tries... It's really weird..."

"Actually tries?" Ryeowook's posture seemed to straighten. "You are actually compatible and it's only Eunhyuk who doesn't like you?"

"Yeah... I... I know I may act like I despise him but really..." Donghae cocked his head to the side. "But really I don't. It's just I guess I get angry at him because of his behaviour... I'd be amazed if we ever got along."

"... Interesting..." Ryeowook murmured.

"But anyways, Han Geng, I know you're connected." Donghae changed the topic back to the previous thing. "It's really weird... But I know..."

"But Hyukjae's you're opposite." Han Geng pointed out. "That may have something to do with it..."

"Yeah, but just forgetting all the opposites and cognates." Donghae rose his hands. "All elements know when you're connected... Leeteuk knows he's connected to you, and also he knows Eunhyuk knows I'm connected to him.... I just don't think Eunhyuk acknowledges that..."

"... But-" Han Geng stuttered.

"It's a feeling you just know Han Geng-shii." Donghae shrugged nonchalantly. "You feel it, you know it, you can't deny it. I felt the exact way you did... It's just something you have to get your head around."

Donghae stood up, and smiled down at the two.

"It was nice talking." he smiled happily. "I was originally scared of you, you seemed intimidating, and I think you saw that I was... Which is a bit embarrassing... But you're a really nice person, and I'm honoured to work with you."

He started walking towards the bedroom before hesitating, turning around slowly and looking back at the duo once again.

"I'll take first watch."

---

OH YEAH I'M NOT PROCRASTINATING.

... School's been an ^^

I've been a bit busy...

But I'm getting there!

ILY