Chapter Thirty-Four: Abyss

A Crack in History

They were still a fair way from the border; after all they had started from one side of Seoul and were heading towards the other. But even within that amount of time, Eunhyuk wouldn't, and probably couldn't, stop worrying. And the black mark on his forearm was still there, and growing, another thing to add to his list of almost endless anxieties.

Whoop-dee-doo.

Kyuhyun still hadn't reported back to him about what the heck the thing was. He had asked frequently, but the younger had hushed him, muttering something about "I'm thinking about it". 

It had already been a week.

He sighed and ruffled his platinum locks as he looked into a campfire. They were getting dirty, the whitish blond getting tinged by brown and black. He didn't remember the last time he'd had a bath, or wash of any sort for that matter. Then again, they were in the middle of a war, so really, what was the point and who ing cared anyways? Eunhyuk knew he didn't. Or he just couldn't be bothered to.

"What's up with you?" Ryeowook popped up by his side. "You're a little down in the dumps."

He wasn't even surprised anymore. God, the people here did it so much; it was hardly a shock anymore. He also wasn't surprised at how Ryeowook had said he was out of whack more like a statement than a question. He knew he expressed his feelings subconsciously, people could easily assume what he was feeling and be right.

"It's nothing major." Eunhyuk sighed looking into the fire; his breath came out as thin streams of white. It was getting colder. 

"Is it that mark thing on your arm?"

"Yeah," Eunhyuk hummed softly, rubbing his arm. "I can't stop worrying about it though... I mean, no one else has it, am I sick or something?"

"I'm sure you aren't," Ryeowook disagreed with a soothing voice. "It's just a mark. It hasn't affected you in any way, except for covering your skin."

"What about the nightmares though? Are they just to do with being traumatised by the war or has this thing for something to do with it?" Eunhyuk knitted his brow. "I don't like it. And these nightmares are really annoying."

"I don't think a mark can give you nightmares."

"I'm still worried."

"Don't, or at least try not to," Ryeowook smiled at him reassuringly. "It'll be fine, okay? I'll even promise on it if you want."

He held up his pinkie, and Eunhyuk twined it with his. A unofficial promise. A silent vow that held Ryeowook's words.

Even though it was there, he still didn't stop worrying.

---

It had grown overnight, and it now covered his entire forearm, stretching from his wrist to the crease of his elbow. The colour was an inky black, like a tattoo. 

He had woken up at sunrise and immediately checked on it. Now he wished he really hadn't. At first, he had just stared at it disbelievingly, blinking a few times just to make sure that it wasn't real. He rubbed his eyes, had another staring session with his arm before giving in to the facts. The mark was massive now. But that was logically impossible. It had been a couple of inches long yesterday, and now it went to his elbow.

"Well... ..." He murmured to himself. "I'm screwed..."

"Wow, that's big," a voice remarked from beside him. "I didn't expect it to grow that much in one night."

"Kyuhyun!" Eunhyuk immediately recognised the voice and panicked holding his arm out. "Help me! I'm dying!!!"

"Jesus... Calm down, you aren't ill, or dying... Idiot," Kyuhyun sighed exasperatedly. "I'm sorry I took so long. I can't constantly be thinking about your mysterious tattoo. I have other things on my mind too. Also before you ask, I'm only smart, I can't remember everything off by heart, sometimes it takes a little more than a couple of days to get all the facts right... Or at least get the facts..."

"Well do you know what the it is?"

"Um... No, not quite yet..." Kyuhyun smiled sheepishly. "However, I do know what it's called. I believe it's a 'tantibus', that means 'nightmare' in Latineo, I asked Ryeowook to get the meaning. I'm pretty sure that it's real purpose isn't as bad as its name."

"... So it's like a virus...?" Eunhyuk asked dumbfounded. "Is that why I've been getting the nightmares."

"I don't know," Kyuhyun shrugged nonchalantly. "I'm still working that out."

"Well hurry up! I don't like this thing!" Eunhyuk whined poking the black skin. "It's growing really big and I don't think it's normal!"

"It's anything but normal," Kyuhyun commented sitting down next to him. "But then again, when have we ever been?"

"Just because I'm weird doesn't give me the right to get strange diseases from growing black marks."

"Shut up, it is not a ing disease," Kyuhyun rolled his eyes and whacked him on the head. "It's just a mark that will go away sooner or later... I think..."

"I don't like the sound of that."

"Shut up. I'm trying to be helpful."

"You aren't doing a very good job."

"Look," Kyuhyun held his hands up. "I'm not used to being 'helpful'. Usually, I am resourceful. So be grateful."

"I'm so honoured," Eunhyuk sniggered cheekily. "Kyuhyun's being helpful for me!"

"Watch your mouth or I'll go tell everyone about your obvious affection for Donghae."

Eunhyuk suddenly flushed bright red and hid his head in his tucked-up knees. How the hell did Kyuhyun know that? Even he didn't! But he hasn't even mentioned the topic, only to Ryeowook, and when he had, he'd been incredibly careful about it. Kyuhyun looked down at him with mock happiness. 

"You didn't say anything unless you want your secret revealed."

"What did I say again?" Eunhyuk nervously joked. 

"Humph, much better," Kyuhyun smirked before going serious again. "Anyway, I think I can sort out your 'problem' by tonight or tomorrow morning. If you can even call it that, seeming it's just a black mark."

"It's a problem okay? It's a black mark that I can't wash off."

"Just like Donghae?"

"Shut the up."

Kyuhyun just cackled before walking away.

---

A/N:

Sorry! I’ve been procrastinating really bad!!! T_T

I’ve had a lot of time to do this, but I haven’t been motivated enough to (too tired…)

I hope you enjoy this chapter! I promise things get dramatic after this (Ooooh!)

Love you all~