Chapter Thirty-Eight: Religion

A Crack in History

Sungmin found himself talking to Siwon more often as they continued their travels across the city. He made surprisingly good conversation, albeit having the habit to link almost everything back to a now ancient religion they used to call Christianity. It was where they worshipped Jesus Christ (the son of an almighty being called 'God') and his teachings. His mother was named 'Mary the '. Which didn't really make sense to Sungmin, seeming that to be a , you hadn't had , yet Mary had a child, so how does that work?

He asked Siwon about this.

"Um, that's a bit hard to explain logically," Siwon admitted with a shrug. "But if you really want to know, God placed Jesus in Mary's womb. So she was a . Because she hadn't had ..."

"How did God put a baby in her?"

"With his almighty powers, I can't explain it without making it sound weird," Siwon bit his lip in thought. "But that's what happened."

"Did he just put Jesus in her? Without her permission?!" Sungmin exclaimed angrily. "That's not right!"

"No, of course not," Siwon explained calmly. "God would not give someone such a task without a person's consent first; he's way above that level of inhumanity."

"So Mary just accepted having a child in her?" Sungmin stated bluntly.

"I think it would be quite an honour to carry and birth God's child."

"But she had a husband!"

"And they both wanted a child, and they got one."

"But did God take him away?"

"No, Mary and Joseph got to raise him like their own, and technically he was," Siwon sighed. "Seeming that Mary gave birth to him."

"I guess that's okay..." Sungmin furrowed his brow. "I still think it's a bit weird..."

"At first, I did too, but you come to accept it," Siwon shrugged nonchalantly. "There are many concepts about Christianity that you would say are questionable, but people accepted it as what happened back then, and that was the religion."

"Wait... What about love?" Sungmin asked curiously.

"What about it?" Siwon blinked confusedly.

"You haven't mentioned much about the subject, not even anything about families or stuff," Sungmin frowned thinking about all their conversations over the last couple of days. "Does Christianity ban love?"

"No," Siwon mused softly. "But for me, I don't really think love matters... Especially because we're in a war."

"Why not?"

"My family saw that I was born into the world to become one of the world's protectors," Siwon hummed looking up at the night sky. "So they raised me like one. I grew up with no... Love... No care or compassion. I was treated like a robot. I felt like one too. A machine. Something with no feelings... That's what they all thought."

"At least you had a family?" Sungmin tried being sympathetic. 

"I think I would've rather not had a family than one that treated me like nothing," Siwon sighed sadly. "And that's why I don't think love is an important factor in my life. I haven't been introduced to it therefore it doesn't really apply to me."

"Until you fall in love~" Sungmin smirked in a sing-song voice. 

"I don't think I'll fall in love." Siwon frowned with a hint of confusion.

"Why not?"

"I don't know, I just have a feeling that it'll never happen," the younger replied. "At least, not yet."

"Is Christianity against homouality?" Sungmin question curiously. "That's like same-gender love."

"I know... That's subjective to what branch you come from, I don't really have a branch and neither do I care for love so... I don't know," Siwon moved his head side to side with uncertainty. "However, I'm not really against the concept."

"That's weird, it's a religion with different branches which have varying customs and beliefs that sometimes contradict each other," Sungmin concluded. "Yet they're the same religion."

"Religion is confusing," Siwon agreed with a nod. "But it's more a way of living than it is a way of logic."

"I guess so," Sungmin pouted childishly. "How did you get into it anyway?"

"It had been passed through my family over hundreds of years, even when other didn't follow it, my family did," Siwon shrugged nonchalantly. "I didn't get a choice though. I was made to follow it. Now I simply obey it as a result." 

"Well, if I must admit, it's pretty interesting," Sungmin stretched his arms in front of him. "Do you know any other religions?"

"I know a few branches of Christianity, and Atheism, but apart from that, no."

"What's Atheism?" Sungmin asked.

"It's when you don't believe in a or any gods." Siwon explained simply. 

"Oh," Sungmin frowned. That wasn't interesting. "Tell me more about Christianity then."

"Well, I think the way Jesus died was quite interesting," Siwon admitted looking at his hands. "As morbid as that sounds."

"How'd he die then?" 

"He was killed in a way called crucifixion, which was an ancient way of execution," Siwon explained patiently. "You would be nailed to a cross, a nail through your each of your hands on the end of the horizontal line, and a nail through both of your feet at the bottom point."

"Lucky."

"I don't quite know why he died, he was such a respected figure," Siwon shook his head in confusion. "That part of my Bible must've fallen out or faded away... It's pretty old."

Sungmin knew Siwon was talking about the small book that he had in his pocket. The pages were dark yellow and the writing was faded and a number of the pages were missing. He wouldn't be surprised if that part had fallen out.

He thought that having something like a religion to follow was interesting, it was certainly a way to define yourself. It made you unique and it gave you something to say was a part of your identity. Sungmin wondered if that if they succeeded, would they be treated like gods? Saviours of the fallen race of humanity?

He hoped they weren't, he didn't really like attention.

---

A/N:

Hello! So the person who you guys wanted to know about first was…

Sungmin!

Quite coincidental seeing that this chapter was focused on him.

So, here’s how you read the next couple of sentences: Each sentence has a person’s name next to it. The person whose name it is is the person that Sungmin is ‘talking’ about (He’s talking in a way that it sounds like he’s immediately talking to them, but he actually would never say these word to them). RED means a hostile relationship, BLUE means a positive one, and GREEN means an unsure one. Underlined means Cognate (Friend, similar element) and bold & italicised means opposite (completely contrasting, opposite powers, e.g. Water and Fire)

Without further ado~

Sungmin:-

-> Kyuhyun: "One step closer and I'll gut you like a fish, sew you back together, and do it again."

-> Heechul: "... Why won't you talk to me??? I'm your opposite, c'mon."

-> Jongwoon: "... There's something about you that's not normal..."

-> Ryeowook: "I've got your back Wook."

-> Eunhyuk: "You fidget worse than Zhou Mi in right spaces... But I can understand your problems."

-> Donghae: "... Um... Hi...? (I don't know you particularly well...)"

-> Siwon: "Our conversations are really interesting. I don't see why you don't try talk to the others."

-> Leeteuk: "You are way too cheerful for your own good *laughs*"

-> Han Geng: "I can see you like Leeteuk. It would be kinda cute. If it weren't so sad to watch... I would help you but..."

-> Zhou Mi: "Well, you seem tense."

-> Henry: "Haha~ you’re so cute, it makes me wonder if you can actually kill. I have no doubt you can't, BTW."

So there you go! That’s how Sungmin thinks of everyone!

Hope you enjoyed that, got another chapter on the way, so I’ll see you again soon!

Tata for now!