Chapter Fourteen: Departure

A Crack in History

The next day, all of the elements awoke half-heartedly, they were going to do it, they were going to begin their journey. Ryeowook slipped out of bed earlier than the others, padding along the carpeted floor and into the kitchen, making himself a drink before walking to the window and watching the sun rise.

"You're up early." a voice came from behind him, and Ryeowook didn't even bother looking.

"Eunhyuk..." his voice was smooth yet the older noticed the slight tremor in his voice.

"Well done." he laughed back softly, walking into the kitchen he called out. "Ready to face the day?"

"..." Ryeowook closed his eyes, sipping from his mug.

"Are you scared?"

Scared? Why was Ryeowook even asking him that? Of course he was scared, they were spliting up, they wouldn't see each other for God-knows-how-long, days, weeks, months. As a kid he'd grown up surrounded by people who didn't care, people who didn't want to acknowledge him and wanted to leave him to just disappear than having him around. So when he finally met someone who cared, he felt like he had to keep them close, otherwise that care would vanish, and he'd be left alone again. He'd grown up learning that to treasure what you care for, and be grateful for it. He didn't want to be separated from them in fear that they would no longer care for him, that he would be no longer needed. Childhood memories had haunted him the previous night, having him toss and turn in his sleep, a pit of anxiety was present in the bottom of his stomach, and his head was still full of 'what-if's' and 'worst-case scenarios'. He wished he could just tell the other teen about it, but whenever he tried expressing his feelings, he would almost always usually end up shouting.

Ryeowook watched Eunhyuk tense up freezing for a small moment, deep in thought. His face was twitching with tiny quivers and his cold, yet bright brown eyes had dulled, different emotions flickering across his face, escaping as soon as they came. The Electricity element gave him a grim smile, taking a seat next to him on the window sill, Ryeowook was still gazing out the window, looking over the wrecked city to see the one thing that seemed to make the war a little bit better.

"Well..." Eunhyuk sighed. "No one said that saving the world would be easy."

"No one ever told you it was going to be you who saved the world."

"Well. that too..."

The younger looked towards him again, and Eunhyuk bit his tongue to stop himself blabbing his real feelings.

"You know." Ryeowook hummed, fingers tapping at the cup in his hands. "You never ansered my question."

"..." Eunhyuk looked at him, and he spotted a knowing look in the other's eye. "You already know."

"But I want you to admit it. Not just to me, but also to yourself."

"... Okay..." Eunhyuk gazed out the window. "I am afraid."

An awkward silence filled the quiet room as the two watched the sun fully rise into the sky, pinky-orange fading into baby blue. Ryeowook stood up, walking to the kitchen and placing his cup in the sink with a small 'clink'.

"I'll miss you, if that makes you feel any better." Ryeowook smiled, looking back at him sympathetically. "You're a good friend and talker."

Eunhyuk glanced over to him with a sheepish smile, walking to the sink to place his cup in before catching up with Ryeowook as he walked down the hallway.

"Right back at ya kiddo."

As the other three woke, the two packed their bags together, chatting as much as they could with the little time they had left together, comforting phrases and soothing voices just didn't seem like enough anymore. They decided that Eunhyuk would try call him every few days, and Ryeowook do the same, also seeming that Eunhyuk was going with Leeteuk and Ryeowook with Han Geng and Donghae (Leeteuk thought it would be best to separate the usually bickering pair), Ryeowook promised to try and get an answer to why Eunhyuk hated Donghae so much, yet that would be in their spare time, if they had any.

"Well..." Ryeowook folded his two only pairs of spare clothes and hastily put them in his backpack. "I guess after a few days to see how much progress we've all made, we could almost estimate how much time it would take for us to be reunited as a group, huh?"

"... I dunno Wook." Eunhyuk admitted with a shrug as he shoved a gun looking mechanism into the younger's arms. "Who knows really, the elements are weird."

"You just offended us."

"I know, yet we aren't particularly normal either."

"Rivalries are between people are normal Hyuk,"

"That's not what I meant!"

"Right..." Ryeowook sighed, looking at the gun thing. "And what is this thing?"

"It's an air grabber, Hae and I invented it by basing it off some North technology." Eunhyuk stated briefly chucking a walkie talkie in his bag, putting one in Ryeowook's as well. "I'll tell you how to use it later."

"Okay..." Ryeowook raised an eyebrow, watching as Eunhyuk shoved a monkey toy in his rucksack, placing the gigantic, now folded jersey in his own bag. "Whatever."

"C'mon, you done?" Eunhyuk zipped his bag. "You ready for this?"

"I think it should be me asking you that."

"Well, I'm not, but it's happening." Eunhyuk walked towards the door. "And I can't stop it so..."

Eunhyuk smiled half-heartedly.

"Yeah, I guess I am."

They walked into the living room side by side, meeting the other three who had already packed, Ryeowook smiled at Eunhyuk with a weak smiled, and stood beside Leeteuk in the small circle gathered in the middle of the room. Eunhyuk walked up to them, eyes now glowing a hazy neon yellow. United, they clasped hands, Ryeowook's and Leeteuk's hands limp in Eunhyuk's hold. Leaving was going to hurt for all of them, maybe Han Geng and Leeteuk the most, Eunhyuk thought, as they had only been reunited and were now going separate ways again, but with that said was the promise of return, that they would make it and they would complete the task set up for them. Han Geng looked every one of them in the eyes, irises changing to a stormy grey, he was scared Eunhyuk noted, yet again, his eyes were glowing, and Leeteuk's and Ryeowook's, and to his surprise, even Donghae's eyes had turned a dark steel colour.

"We're in this together." Han Geng whispered. "Don't forget that."

The silence that came over them spoke as the mutual agreement before they parted from their huddle, making their way out of the building and spliting into two, Leeteuk and Eunhyuk on one side, Han Geng, Donghae and Ryeowook on the other. Ryeowook locked eyes with Eunhyuk, giving him a determined look and a reassuring nod before Han Geng tapped him on the shoulder and he started running in the opposite direction. The Electricity element watched as the three disappeared around a corner, Leeteuk put a hand on his shoulder.

"They'll be okay."

"I know."

Leeteuk frowned, he was genuinely worried for the younger, though today, unlike others, Eunhyuk had decided to hide all his emotions, obscuring them with a mask. He knew how he felt about people leaving, when they were younger, Eunhyuk had even stopped Leeteuk from going to collect food alone, always, constantly scared that once he walked out, he would leave him and let him slip from his mind.

"I guess it's just like old times then..." Eunhyuk looked towards the Life element.

Leeteuk nodded, adjusting his backpack.

"They won't forget you Eunhyuk.... No one will."

---

A/N:

Okay... Yay~

We're getting there....

Slowly...

I love you all!