Chapter Thirty: Talk

A Crack in History

Why are the even melons here?" Zhou Mi asked the older, who had filled his backpack with about four of the fruits and was holding three.

"I don't know sir," Jongwoon frowned looking into the distance, across the moonlit field. "I suppose there might be a civilisation nearby. That or a farmer lived in the area. Maybe the farmer doesn't live here anymore. Probably left when the war started. That or he died."

"Interesting," Zhou Mi murmured as he took hold of three of the green globes. He noticed there were two more watermelons being held by darkness tendrils by Jongwoon's feet. "Well, that's all I can carry... Sorry."

"Why are you apologising sir?" Jongwoon rolled his eyes. "You didn't do anything wrong and besides, if we want to get more we can always come back tomorrow."

"Yeah but, you're carrying heaps."

"I don't care." The statement was said quite positively.

"Are you sure...?"

"Of course, now come on," Jongwoon started to walk off, one more of his darkness tendrils grabbing a melon on the way. "We need to get these back. And Leeteuk and Kyuhyun will be worried."

"You know, you are actually not a bad guy," Zhou Mi noted as they walked towards the dim light of the camp. "You're quite nice for a person who acts so cold and heartless... No offence..."

"Me, nice?" Jongwoon shook his head. "Oh, no, no, no, I'm not nice, sir. I'm being positive. And optimistic... I don't quite know which. I know I'm not nice, however."

"You're weird."

"Hm, no, you are."

Zhou Mi stopped, laughed under his breath and shook his head lightly. He smiled at Jongwoon with an amused look

. "I like you, you're a cool guy," he admitted. "Let's be friends... I'm sorry about burning you, by the way."

"Forget and forgive, isn't that the saying?" Jongwoon's lips quirked upwards slightly as he halted as well. "Although, I can't guarantee I'll be a good at it, being a friend, I mean. I haven't quite had any friends before."

"It's okay. I haven't either, so we're on the same page," Zhou Mi said sympathetically. "Hopefully, it's not as hard as learning to not make myself spontaneously combust."

"Please, you don't find yourself waking up on the roof," Jongwoon rolled his eyes with a huff. "Shadow teleportation is so irritable sometimes.

" "Shadow teleportation?"

"Yes, I, frustratingly and surprisingly, accomplish it in my sleep," Jongwoon sighed exasperatedly, trying to balance a melon one of his darkness ropes had held, on his head. "I once awoke embracing Kyuhyun. It was rather embarrassing, for him, not me. Hence why I dislike falling asleep. Well, one reason why..."

"Wow, and I thought spontaneous combustion was bad."

"Mm, it's a rather awkward conversation starter. But other than that, it's okay."

"Ha. Yeah, I'd say it's better than waking up to spooning someone."

"It was only one time."

"You've still spooned with a guy."

"It wasn't spooning."

"Sure it wasn't."

"Come on, let's go, everyone will be will be wondering sir," Jongwoon turned and started to walk away. Zhou Mi noticed that he had successfully gotten the melon to sit atop his head. He had a total of ten of the green fruits. Zhou Mi sighed annoyed.

"Are you coming?" "Yeah." Zhou Mi ran after him. "Coming! How far is the camp from here?"

"Oh, not far, you didn't wander recklessly," Jongwoon hummed looking ahead. "Look, the glow of the campfire can be seen just a few hundred metres away."

The rest of the walk was taken in silence. Jongwoon didn't seem like the type of guy for small talk, and Zhou Mi didn't want to disrespect that. They arrived at the boarder of the camp quietly, a concerned looking Kyuhyun quickly approaching them. "Hey! Where were you guys? It's been over an hour...!" He fussed over Jongwoon. "What's with all the melons?"

"Jongwoon found a field of melon vines," Zhou Mi briefly explained. "We were just there."

"Oh, really? That seems like the kind of thing you'd do, Jongie," Kyuhyun laughed, plucking the melon off the said male's head and pulling a couple from his arms. "C'mon, I think Henry, Donghae, Eunhyuk and Sungmin have gone to sleep. Ryeowook's awake, so are Heechul and Siwon. Leeteuk and Han Geng have been up all the time. And before you ask, yes, Jongwoon, I've slept."

"How much Master?" Jongwoon's eyes narrowed.

"A few hours."

"Less." Jongwoon sounded disappointed as they walked to the campfire, placing the melons down behind a log to prevent them from rolling.

"... A couple...?"

"Less."

"... An hour...?"

"Less."

"... Ha-"

"You haven't slept at all," Jongwoon shook his head. "Have you sir?"

"No. I was worried Jongwoon," Kyuhyun admitted with a frown. "You know I worry."

"Have you spooned with him?" Zhou Mi asked Kyuhyun curiously. He spluttered embarrassedly. "Excuse me?!"

"Jongwoon said he teleported in his sleep," Zhou Mi recalled. Jongwoon face palmed. "He said he woke up hugging you once."

"Oh," Kyuhyun flushed looking away as Leeteuk and Han Geng came up to them. "That. Yeah, he did. Don't mention that to anyone yeah?"

"Jongwoon! Zhou Mi!" Leeteuk came up to them hurriedly. "Thank goodness! We were so worried! Where did yo-"

"What's with the melons?" Han Geng asked quizzically.

"I found them sir," Jongwoon stated bluntly. "When I was looking for Zhou Mi-nari."

"Oh... Well, that's useful," Leeteuk hummed happily. "I can use the seeds to grow more plants and melons!"

"Yes sir," Jongwoon nodded grasping Kyuhyun's shoulders and leading him towards a place on the ground. "Right. Master-“

"Jongwoon, no, I'm fine."

"Junha. You must sleep."

"I'm fine!"

The others watched as Jongwoon rushed around, preparing a place for Kyuhyun to rest, ignoring his Master’s whining. Han Geng looked at the rest of the group awkwardly before slowly walking away.

"I might... Y'know, head in too..." He said quietly. "Night."

"Goodnight Han Geng," Leeteuk smiled softly. "Zhou Mi and I will take shift."

"Wake me when you start to get tired, okay?" Han Geng added as an afterthought. "I'll take over immediately."

"I'll be fine," Leeteuk reassured. "Don't worry, just get some sleep."

"I'm seri-"

"I know," Leeteuk interrupted with a nod. "Goodnight Hun, I'll see you tomorrow."

Han Geng blushed and fidgeted with his fingers as Leeteuk turned back to Zhou Mi with a wink. The Air element muttered a quick 'night' before heading off to a place to sleep. Zhou Mi gave him a quizzical look at the choice of words.

"It's a word I use to bribe him to do stuff," Leeteuk held a finger up to his lips. "But shh! Don't tell it's a secret. C'mon."

Leeteuk guided him around the perimeter of the camp. He had quietly informed Ryeowook, Heechul and Siwon prior to leaving

 "... So, what did you and Jongwoon get up to?"

"We talked," Zhou Mi replied bluntly. "And got melons."

"What did you talk about?" Leeteuk continued. "..."

"If you tell me, I'll tell you what Henry and I talked about," Leeteuk suggested with a hopeful voice. "However, you'd have to promise not to use it as blackmail."

"He told me that I should remove myself from a situation when I get angry and do something productive," Zhou Mi sighed looking up at the sky. "And that me and him aren't so different."

"I don't think many of the guardians realise that we are all not so different," Leeteuk pouted sadly. "I mean, we're the main forces which keep the world in balance and whatnot. If we do that, then obviously we have some, if not many similarities."

"True," Zhou Mi commented. "That makes sense, but I don't really see all of us getting along. Especially Henry and I. And Jongwoon and Ryeowook, and Heechul, and Kyuhyun and Sungmin. I don't know."

"Yes, well, Eunhyuk and Donghae don't quite get along either," Leeteuk said sheepishly. "We're a long way from working together cooperatively, an extremely long way from becoming friends, much less saving the world."

"Too bad it had to be us then, huh?"

"Oh, don't think of it like that," Leeteuk puffed out his cheeks. "Even if it wasn't us, the relationships between us would still be the same, if not worse. In fact, I think that this is the best that we've been at actually.”

"That's because everyone's asleep.

""... Oh..."

"What did you and Henry talk about anyway?"

"Hm... I told him that fighting's bad. And that to end this war we had to work together," Leeteuk shrugged simply. "And then he said "I know, I know, but I can't. It's so hard and all I want to do is squeeze his neck", and other things... Worse," Leeteuk noticed Zhou Mi's face darken and quickly added. "But I told him that's bad though, and said aggravating stuff about the North Koreans. Then he was angry at them."

"Well, I am too," Zhou Mi nodded. "But I'm angrier about being locked up in a tube. And not remembering much."

"You'll get over it soon enough," Leeteuk said soothingly. "Once you've lived through so much war and maybe even given up on humanity, you'll just become cold and alien on the outside. And inside. Just like Ryeowook, and Eunhyuk, and Sungmin, and Jongwoon and Kyuhyun, and the others, that's why they always seem so down in the dumps and are always mean. But I haven't given up yet. Not yet, because we're human, and we've only just started."

Zhou Mi stated at him blankly, wondering if he ever noticed that he babbled on. But Leeteuk was right though.

"So I won't give up," he smiled happily. "Not yet, Hooo no, because this is only the beginning. This is the beginning of the revolution."

---

A/N:

I'm on a roll~

Right, I don't have much to say for this... Just please don't try look up the terms Jongwoon used. Not yet anyway, I'm going to tell you when Kyuhyun's babbling on about stuff to-

Wait, spolier alert *shot*

I won't tell you, but you'll find out sooner or later...

I think later...

(You actually don't have to listen to that, I just want to keep it a surprise ^^)

I love you all!~

Please comment and subscribe~ ^^