Chapter Twenty-One: Interestedness

A Crack in History

A male with dark blackish brown hair stood at the top of a large skyscraper, gazing down at the three people who he'd been observing for the past few days. They were quite an unlikely trio, but they seemed quite coordinated.

So, they were like him, but why were they looking for stones? That's what lingered in the male's head. He crept down; flinging himself off the building he was atop of and followed them by air. They seemed to have stopped, so he paused, hovering above them.

“Hm… Interesting…”

He was usually heartless towards everyone, mainly because he had his family, his only family member left, taken away from him, stolen. His younger brother, his ten year old brother kidnapped by the soldiers. His parents had left them at a young age, so his brother was the only one he had. Now he was gone, and all he had left was the clothes he wore, and two pairs of numchucks for weapons.

Imagine being left, abandoned by yourself at the age of twelve, no parents in a huge crumbling city, and being hunted out by soldiers. That's what he went through, having to sneak his way out of the massive metropolis of Goyang and into the abandoned heart of Seoul while learning to look after himself and his brother. He had taught himself how to make a fire, cook, and hell, even use numchucks as a defensive weapon. It had been hard, but he was still alive, so he guessed he had done a pretty good job looking after him.

He had been travelling alone since then, killing soldiers mercilessly as he went, a cold heartless being. He had his brother taken away from him, the one person he treasured dearly, so why should he care about them? How come he should care about who waited for them to return from the battlefield? The soldiers had killed hundreds; thousands maybe even millions of innocent lives! They deserved to die in his opinion!

That was five years ago, but he still killed with no mercy. He hadn't met anyone who he could relate to or anything, no other 'rebels' against the North Koreans to be an ally of sorts. He preferred to work alone anyways... Or maybe it was just because he couldn't find anyone to work with... He couldn't quite tell.

But then he had spotted these guys, and he was just about to kill them when one of them flew up high into the sky, and this made him curious, a trio of people with powers, supernatural abilities, just like him. Well, not quite, but close to. And it made him rather surprised, he wasn't the only one? There were others out there like him? People like him? The idea had seemed so unrealistic and unbelievable at first, so he began to... 'Spy' on them, and as he followed them, he began to believe that they were just like him, had no family, all alone except each other, and it made a feeling he thought had been buried so deep inside of him emerge, a desperate want for love.

He had wondered if he could be one of them, join their group and have someone around to at least talk to without getting his head shot off. It would be weird, but maybe, just maybe it would be a little better than being alone...

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, he focused on the people below him. Suddenly, the youngest began rushing off with a squeak and a rush of orange light behind him, startling the others and confusing the male hovering above them. The one who had armour followed soon after, jet packing away. And then the last, flying through the air over the Han River, each person's leaving was a few minutes apart. He was confused but trailed along after, soon making his way to where the trio had gone to, a circle of stands where five people were standing, each behind a pedestal.

Before he knew it, his eyes glowed a bright pink and he felt drawn to the circle. It was a strange feeling, like he was almost unable to control his body and mind, yet he knew exactly what to do, and where he planned to go. He slowly flew down, finding the ruins of a building with a circle of columns each with glowing symbols. Taking his place behind a pedestal next to the youngest one in the group he'd been trailing he placed a hand on the stone that seemed to be... Calling him. The said male jumped as he landed.

Ryeowook blinked in surprised, the beacon was working! And the elements were being unified! That’s always a good thing. Who was he? Ryeowook wondered. What element did he have control over? What was his name? Ryeowook guessed he was a little too excited, and if he didn’t try now, he would probably end up scaring the poor guy out of his skin because of his babbling.

"Um... Hi..." He murmured looking at him shyly. "I'm Ryeowook..."

"Sungmin," the one with pink eyes replied simply. "Nice to meet you... Do you know what's going on?"

"... It's a beacon... So it's calling all the elemental guardians here..." Ryeowook answered. "We're kinda stuck here until they all show..."

"The elemental guardians?" Sungmin questioned. "Who are they?"

"Hm? You don't know? Um..." Ryeowook blinked with confusion. "Well, in short, the elements are a group of twelve forces which practically make up the Earth. The elemental guardians are people who have the abilities to control one of these forces, and are meant to stop the cycle."

He had overheard the soldiers talking about something along these lines, although, he hadn't heard of such thing as 'the cycle', he decided he would ask about that later. He looked around the room at all the individual pillars with pink glowing eyes, and he frowned at a sudden realisation.

"There are only eleven pedestals." Sungmin mused quietly. "And twelve elements... Is that bad?"

"What?" Ryeowook looked around. "Hey, you're right... I don't know actually... But I hope it isn't too bad..."

Sungmin nodded. He felt slightly awkward being among all these people, who seemed to already know each other, while he was just there, alone, not knowing anyone. It was quite a strange experience being around others, he'd never been in a situation where there were so many people, and this was only five people, and there were going to be a total of twelve of them.

What was this whole cycle thing? He hadn’t been very much educated with the war; he just knew that someone had to stop it and now he knew he was one of those people, one who had the ability to, with a lot of help, stop this. Stop humanity ending itself, which Sungmin found quite interesting, he had done a bit of study on the war because of his little knowledge of it and had discovered that the world was practically under a dictatorial rule, which had to be overthrown by no other than the elements. It also made him wonder; how in the world had people been able to publish books when there was a war going on?

It made him curious, of course it did, Sungmin loved to think, one of the best things humans could do, yet of course, it was one of the worst as well. The imagination was vast and creative, innovative and initiative, able to create new things and uncover new things. But there was also a dark side to it. The human’s mind was able to create thoughts that were corrupted with greed and want, a type of evil that you couldn’t escape, even if you wanted to.  Types of darkness that took over your body and seeped through your veins, possessing the person you originally were. It was scary to think that he was, everyone was capable of such… thought patterns.

He looked around, seeing the new people he’d be cooperating with.

This was going to be interesting…

---

HI GUISE!

I HAS UPDATE!

GOODBYES!

ILY ALL