Chapter Thirty-Six: Ache

A Crack in History

"Goddammit Jungsoo you're such an idiot sometimes..." 

Leeteuk opened his eyes to a blank white wall and fingertips drumming his hip softly. A blanket covered his body from his cheeks to his feet, leaving only his eyes and forehead peeking out. He curled his toes with a small smile on his face. It had been ages since he had taken his shoes off. His eyelids had drooped shut again, and he fought to keep them open. A voice started to talk again.

"How come you never know when to let someone else take over? You never woke me when I told you I could take a shift... Why not? It would've been better than this..."

It was Han Geng. Leeteuk recognised his voice immediately. He sounded sad, and disappointed. Leeteuk hated disappointing people. Especially Han Geng. He listened as the Air element went into another of his ranting moods. Did Han Geng even know he was awake?

"You do know that you're a human too? Like the rest of us, you need to sleep sometimes! How many days did you go without this time round? I hope it wasn't as bad as last time. And just so you remember, five days is not short!"

The tone of voice had now passed the point of disappointment and was more exasperated than anything. If Leeteuk had to take a guess, he'd say that Han Geng was just so used to his recklessness that he couldn't be bother getting angry or trying to make him change. He was going to speak out, but Han Geng bet him to it.

"I worry for you y'know. You can't just go around thinking that you can get yourself hurt and expect everyone to be fine with it. The world doesn't work that way."

Leeteuk wished it did though, if he could have it his way, he would have it so no one worried about him. His wounds, his scars, his soul.

"I'm sorry..." His voice was hoarse and crackly, gravel against metal. The apology came out more as a growl.

Han Geng understood though. "I know..."

A part of him wished that he didn't. There was a piece of his mind that wanted Han Geng to not know him at all. To not be so forgiving and just so nice.

Leeteuk wondered what he had done to deserve to meet Han Geng. He was lucky, so lucky that fate had decided to push them together and let them have each other's company. He didn't like to think about what would've happened if Han Geng and he hadn't met as seven-year-olds. It would've been inevitable for him to have deep affection for the Air element. Leeteuk didn't expect it to blossom and bloom into what some might call love. He didn't really like to think about it though. Love was a weakness. In everyone's eyes. Being in a mutual relationship would make it harder for both of them, knowing that they loved one another. But then again, he didn't know if Han Geng loved him. And that was good, because it meant he didn't have to worry about Han Geng worrying about him, being weakened by it. He intended to keep it that way, even if it hurt.

"Why do you put up with me...?" Leeteuk whispered softly. 

"Because you're my best friend," Han Geng sighed exasperatedly. "Albeit being the biggest pain in the sometimes, I care."

Leeteuk chuckled at the last part, and then noticed the colour of the light. Moonlight, leaking through a sliver of a crack in the closed curtains Leeteuk had failed to notice until now. Muted silver flooded the room with sharp shadows. He turned over slowly, moving his lazy limbs to face Han Geng. He was seated on a stool. There was a door behind him and another bed was beside his own.

"What's the time?"

"About three in the morning. Zhou Mi took his turn at taking charge. He instructed we leave a couple of hours after you wake up. But seeming he isn't awake to see you awake, we won't leave till morning."

"Who's taking shift?" Leeteuk yawned. He was still sleepy...

"Me and Jongwoon. Last time I checked..."

"How long have you been taking shift?"

"Only a few hours."

Leeteuk looked at Han Geng incredulously and pulled his duvet up and rolled over. "Get in here you hypocrite." 

He didn't think it was weird inviting Han Geng to join him to sleep. They had slept in one another's arms so many times that both of them had lost count. Personal space was something that simply did not exist within the boundaries of their friendship.

"I am not a hypocrite!" Han Geng scoffed as he pulled off his shoes without hesitation. "I got heaps of sleep last night. You were watching me. And how many days did you stay awake for mister?"

"Do you really want to know?" Leeteuk asked with a huff.

"I don't really want to, but I feel inclined to." Han Geng hummed as he slid into the bed and holding himself up on an elbow.

"Three days?" Leeteuk winced almost inaudibly.

"I was expecting worse," Han Geng admitted, voice wavering when Leeteuk wrapped his arms around his torso and pulled him down beside him. "Jeez, what was that for?"

Leeteuk didn't reply as he hid his head in the Air element's chest, said male giving in to the sudden embrace and draping one arm over Leeteuk's side and the other s under his head. He knew that he couldn't go too far, he couldn't, wasn't allowed to, make a mistake which would sabotage their friendship. He guessed he was balanced on a tightrope, and one misstep would leave him with nothing, or the remnants of a destroyed bond. The thought of that made the pain in his chest stronger than before, and it was then that he began to hate himself. He decided he would need to deal with that tomorrow.

The heartbeat beneath his ear was soothing, and was already lulling him to sleep again. Although with Han Geng nudging him in the back with his fingers, he was being drawn from slumber.

"Don't fall asleep on me yet Soo, I've got one more question," Han Geng mumbled tapping his spine. "Don't worry. It's nothing you'll have to think majorly about."

"What?"

"You do know what the others will assume in the morning?"

"Of course, and I don't care," Leeteuk murmured with a slight giggle. "Can't be bothered. And I doubt I will be in the morning. Why? Does it bother you?"

"Nah," Han Geng sighed closing his eyes. "Remember? 'Go-with-the-flow-guy' here. I honestly couldn't care less."

"That's good."

Han Geng's chest rumbled slightly at that and Leeteuk looked up at him with a sheepish smile.

"How long did I sleep?" He asked quietly.

"A couple of days, or nights," Han Geng replied. "Seeming you fell asleep at night..."

Leeteuk hummed in appreciation and pulled the blanket up to their necks. He nodded at the answer before shuffling about, trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in. 

"Night Geng."

"Goodnight Soo."

Leeteuk's heart ached, a slow pain that reverberated through his veins. 

---

A/N:

Okay, so I know that some of you guys want Sungmin and Eunhae and the rest, but I have most of the plot ready and I intend to follow it just so I don't confuse myself~

On the subject of couples and the people in the story, I've got a question for you, I wonder if you'll get it right ^^

Which pair do you think will get 'together' first?

In no particular order, the couples are...

- Eunhae (Eunhyuk and Donghae)

- Kyumin (Kyuhyun and Sungmin)

- Sichul (Siwon and Heechul)

- Hanteuk (Han Geng and Leeteuk)

- Zhoury (Zhou Mi and Henry)

- Ryeowook x ___________ (who do you think?)

This isn't a competition or anything, just for fun, feel free to tell me your opinions in the comments below ^^

Love you all~