Love

The Simplest of Things

 

  

So here I am, just outside the school gate, one hour early. This is where my life changed.

I looked around to see if anyone had come already, not to my surprise, no one was here. I mean...it's the first day of school...who wants to come one hour early?

I turned around facing my smiling dad; he had his happy face on. I really loved that happy face, but I wasn't going to be seeing it for a while. I leaned down to get a better view of him in the driver’s seat. I could tell he was about to cry. I couldn't blame him...I wanted to cry too. I was going to miss him.

"Bye dad." I said.

"I'm going to miss you." he weakly said back.

"I'm going to miss you two. Now get going before I jump back in the car." I lightly chuckled.

"Okay...if you ever need to talk to me, call me right away! I'm always free to talk to you!" he gestured, lifting up his phone.

I nodded my head in agreement.

"Alright dad." I smiled.

"Bye Hana." he said. "I love you."

"I know, bye dad."

He waved goodbye and so did I. His car drove off. I stared at his blue car as it got farther down the road, just until it turned the corner and vanished. At that moment I regretted ever agreeing to my dad's crazy boarding school idea, but it was too late to turn now. I had no choice.

I swallowed in my sadness.

Alright Hana! This is it! Take in the independence! Accept it! Love it! Hug it! I slapped both my hands on my cheeks getting rid of all the bitter thoughts.

Looking down at my side, I lifted up my grey bag strapping it over my shoulders. Facing the entrance, I walked up to it taking my first steps on school property.

The ground I was stepping on looked like some sort of white stone. All along the sides of the path were nicely trimmed trees and just behind, were big flowery gardens stretching all around campus. I was really in awe of how beautiful the entry to this place was, it felt like I was going to a castle or something.

As I looked in front of me, there were three individual buildings placed right next to each other. The one on the far left is where all the classes are supposed to be. In the middle is where the front office and dorms are, and the one on the right is the library. Probably where I'm going to be spending most of my time, practicing how to read and write in Korean...because I . And being in an all Korean school with one English class wasn't going to get me anywhere.

I came closer to the middle building, opening the front door, I walked inside. It was air conditioned, very nice to my liking. The walls and floor were white. Blue waiting chairs placed all along the sides, leading to a long desk just at the end of the lobby.

I noticed only three people working behind the counter. Everyone else who worked there hadn't arrived yet. I made my way to one of the ladies behind the desk. She had her hair up in a bun, small glasses and wearing a black uniform.

"Annyeong haseyo." I greeted, bowing to the woman as I came to a stop before her.

She looked up from her work and smiled at me with kind eyes.

"Annyeong, I can tell you're the new student." she said getting up from her chair and bowing. Not like it wasn't obvious... "Please follow me; the principal has been waiting for you."

She walked around the counter leading me to a door on the side of the lobby. At the top of the large door had a sign saying 'Principal's Office'. Proud that I could read it, the lady knocked on the door several times. We both waited a while before we heard a man from the other side call me in. The lady looked at me nodding my head to go.

I opened the door walking inside the room. What hit me first was the over powering smell of cologne, but other than that the room was quite clean. A desk at the end of the room with two chairs facing it, book shelves on either wall. Typical office space.

The principal was sitting at his desk with a brown box and a silver key placed just on top. I bowed and walked over to him.

"My name is Hana Beaux, I'm the new student." I introduced bowing again.

"Please take a seat." he kindly said, gesturing his hand to one of the chairs in front of his desk.

I nodded my head and sat on the comfy seat.

"I am Principal Kim. It's great to finally meet you." he said. "In this box here is your uniform and this is your key for your dorm."

He pushed the objects closer to me. I took them off his table gently placing them on my lap.

"Your room is on the fourth floor, number four hundred twenty-three." Principal Kim informed. "I would love to show it to you, but I have to finish up some work. Please feel free to get comfortable."

"Okay." I said in understanding.

"In about an hour, once you've finished getting yourself organized, I would like to introduce you to your new teacher and class." he smiled. "So please meet me back in the lobby by then."

"That would be great. Thank you." I bowed getting up from my chair. "I'll be leaving then."

"The elevator is just beside my office." Principal Kim told me.

"Okay." I smiled walking out of the room.

Looking to my left, I saw two fancy elevator doors. Moving in front of them I pressed the up button. Almost instantly the doors opened. I walked inside letting the doors slide closed before pushing my floor number. I started going up to the top floor and heard elevator music playing.

They even have music in here? This place is really something...

The doors finally opened, I walked out to see a sign pointing in which direction one's room would be, mine happened to be on the left. I paced down the long hall looking for my room number. I passed by many dorms. Once I reached mine, I realized it was right at the end.

Using my new key, I slipped it into the key whole turning it until I heard a click. I pulled it out turning the door nob and walking into my room.

To my surprise there was only one bed. I happily closed the door behind me knowing that I wasn't going to be sharing a room with anyone. Otherwise it would've been awkward. On the right side of the bed was a wooden bureau and on the left was a white door.

I moved further in the room putting the brown box and my bag on the bed, then the key on top of the bureau. Curiously, I walked to the white door slightly opening it, I peeked my head inside. It was a typical bathroom. A toilette, sink and shower. Shrugging my shoulders I went back to my bag.

"I guess I should start unpacking." I told myself, ping my bag.

After about forty minutes of getting organized. I was ready to change into my new uniform. I opened up the box taking out the clothing. It was a white shirt, checkered skirt, grey flats and a black tie.

Putting them on the edge of my bed, I slipped off my leggings and baggy sweat shirt and changed into my new uniform. They fit just perfectly around my body.

"Comfy." I said smiling down at the fabric.

I looked back at my ugly bag; it was just sitting alone with the box on my bed. I grabbed the box and bag kneeling down to the ground. I observed underneath my bed. The wood floor was clean, not a single dust bunny in sight. Impressive.

I slid both objects under to be hidden from view. Nodding to myself, I got back on my feet.

Principal Kim is probably waiting for me...better go downstairs!

I snatched my key putting into my handy skirt pocket, and left my dorm.

---------------------------------------------------

Just as I expected, Principal Kim was waiting in front of the elevators for me. As I came into his view he kindly bowed.

"Let's be on our way." he happily said gesturing his hand to the door.

I followed him walking passed the long desk. There were many more people there than before. As I was pacing by I could swear that everyone was staring at me.

Finally after leaving the lobby and arriving at the building where are the classes were. Principal Kim politely opened the door for me, letting me go in first. I bowed in thanks and went inside.

This building looked exactly the same as the other one. White floor, white walls, a couple chairs here and there placed on the sides of the halls. Typical.

"Your class room is just this way. Please follow me." Principal Kim told me, leading me down the right hall.

As we were walking, I could hear our footsteps hitting against the floor. It was very quiet. A little too quiet, like in a horror movie, right when something's about to jump out and say boo. But this wasn't a horror movie, nothing too exciting would be happening.

Principal Kim came to a stop at a room with a sign on top reading '2-D'. He knocked on the door sliding it open. A man turned to us and smiled greeting as the principal came in. I stayed by the door though, waiting to be called in.

"Attention, class." the man said. "Our new student is here."

My stomach was turning.

Oh my...I'm getting really nervous...just calm down...calm down...

Principal Kim faced the class and bowed low. Turning to me he gestured his hand for me to come.

This is the moment of truth Hana...the moment of truth...

I tried my best to walk in as normal as I could, which thankfully I felt pretty normal...until I looked at all the wide eyes staring at me.

Dang it...

"Please introduce yourself." Principal Kim told me.

I smiled at the class and bowed low.

"Annyeong haseyo." I greeted, lifting my torso back up. "My name is Hana Beaux, it's nice to meet you all."

I quickly glanced at the other man who was holding his hand out. We shook hands and bowed to each other.

"I'm your teacher, Mr. Lee." he said.

"I'll be leaving now, enjoy." Principal Kim said, walking out of the room.

I looked back at Mr. Lee who was fishing around the room for something. After a long dead silence he faced me.

"Please take a seat right there." he pointed.

I turned my head to the middle seat in the first row.

What?! He wants me to sit right there? Right where everyone can watch my every subtle move?

I slowly nodded my head, even though I didn't want to.

"Okay." I said, holding back the terror.

I made my way to the desk, keeping both eyes locked on the ground, not even trying to look someone in the eye. After sitting down in the chair, I took a deep breath holding in the air.

I can feel them...all those piercing eyes jabbing weird looks at me...I cried in my head.

"Alright class, to start off this year, I would like that all of you write a five hundred word essay about what you did this summer." Mr. Lee said breaking the awkward silence.

"Five hundred?" a guy complained.

"But it's the first day of school." a girl whined.

Everyone began whispering and bickering at the teacher.

Five hundred words? I'm totally screwed...I can barely read Korean, what makes you think I can write a five hundred word essay?

I looked around and noticed the girl to my left glaring at me. I slowly looked away breaking off the subtle eye contact.

That girl scares me...

"Class, calm down!" Mr. Lee said, making the annoying talking stop. "The essay is going to be due next Monday, please work hard, it counts for marks."

The whole class was silent.

Wow...that really calmed them down...

Then suddenly everyone started chatting and yelling and complaining, causing a whole lot of noise. Too much noise. I sunk down in my seat.

This is going to be a long year...I whimpered.

After the long two hours of that stupid essay review, the bell rang and we finally had a break. Thank God! I thought I was going to die. All the students quickly left the class laughing and giggling to each other.

Since our next class only started in about an hour, to my curiosity, I decided to go to the library and check it out. I got up from my seat and walked to the door. The halls were packed with kids running and jumping on each other. I took a deep breath and left the room.

As I was walking down the hall, all the chatting and laughing stopped once I passed by. I got a whole bunch of weird stares, but I kept my gaze on the floor. It was probably expected, I mean, I'm the new kid.

Once I finally reached the front entrance, I happily walked out of the building. A whole lot of weight was lifted off my shoulders once the warm sun came into view.

Were they like looking at my soul or something? I could feel their eyes looking right through me...

I paced down the path leading towards the library. There were many groups of kids placed here and there. I noticed that each group had a theme. Were they cliques?

I ignored them though. I could also feel them glancing at me...

Once I finally came closer to the library I noticed a group of girls surrounding these four guys. I walked closer to the building and kept watching the scene. My eyes almost flew out of their sockets once I reached a good enough distance. Those guys were beautiful; every single feature on them was perfect.

What the?! How can someone look so good? I questioned myself.

I tried my best not to stare but I failed...so to get my eyes off them I quickly remembered that stupid essay I got earlier.

Ugh...stupid essay...ruins everything...

I was about to walk in the library when something caught my attention.

"Hey look it's Ren!" a guy called out.

To my curiosity, I turned around to see the four guys walking out of the group of girls. I followed where they were going and noticed them laughing at this one guy.

My jaw dropped. He was the most handsomest being I've ever laid eyes on. Blonde hair, mesmerizing eyes. I could feel my heart beating faster than it should.

"Yah! How's our little Ren doing?" one of the guys teased.

Wait...Ren? That guy’s name is Ren? Isn't that a little girly?

The boy didn't bother even looking at him; he just kept walking completely ignoring their presence.

He's so cool.

"Hey we're talking to you pretty boy!" another said grabbing his shoulder.

Ren stopped walking and looked at the short haired guy with a blank expression, not saying a word.

"Finally listening I see." a different guy said walking in front of him.

I could tell he was the leader; he had a certain look to him that showed power.

"How's my little girl doing?" he laughed.

Ren didn't say anything. He just nudged the guys arm off and walked away.

"Better not act that way Ren!" the guy yelled angrily.

What's going on? I asked myself. Were they teasing him?

I shrugged my shoulders, I didn't want to get involved...they looked scary and it was none of my business.

I walked inside the library. It was huge...no I mean...really... There were books everywhere. I could tell there were about five floors, all containing books, tones and tones of books.

I turned to my right to see a lady typing away on a computer. I walked up to her.

"Um...excuse me." I said.

The lady looked up at me with evil eyes. She was wearing deep red lipstick and dark eye liner.

"What do you want?" she asked rudely.

"Do you have any books in here that are easy to read?" I awkwardly asked.

She eyed me up and down, and then looked behind me.

"Down there," she pointed, I turned around to face a bookshelf just at the far end of the room. "There's a section over there with what you're looking for."

I looked back at her to thank her, but she was typing on the computer again. I quickly bowed and went for the books. As I walked by all the isles, I noticed that there was barely anybody in here. Just a couple of people looking through magazines or checking out some books they needed for class.

I smiled to myself.

This place is perfect! I can read in total peace and quiet. No weird glaring, no interruptions. Just hard core reading!

I happily made my way to the said shelf and looked through it intensely.

Hm... If I want to get better...I should probably start off with...

For a couple of minutes of searching, I pulled out a small book reading 'My Husband' on it.

This looks interesting...

I walked towards the sitting area just next to the shelves. I took a seat on a comfy chair, leaning my elbows of the table in front of me and opened the first page of the book. I stared at it dumfounded. The page was full of writing, from top to bottom.

Oh God...Okay...Time to start reading...

I began reading the first page keeping all my attention towards it.

A long time passed, I raised my head from the book and looked up at the clock just above.

It's been ten minutes...and I'm stuck on the first page...

I hopelessly looked back down at the book.

Ugh! What does this word mean? I've been staring at it for like ever!

I panicked looking around the room for someone. Then...HE caught my eye. The guy from before, Ren, sitting just across the table from me silently reading a book. I nervously looked to my left and right seeing that there was no one else here.

"Um...excuse me." I said.

He didn't budge.

"Can you help me with this word..." I asked.

He slowly looked up at me with a blank expression.

I flipped the book around facing him and pointed at the word.

"This one here, what does it mean?" I questioned.

He stared at the word for a moment then looked back down at his book.

"Love." he answered.

I bowed slightly.

"Thanks." I said continuing to read.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So here's my second chapter, much longer than the first ^.^ woot!

Please comment and subscribe!

-LonDon323