Studying

The Simplest of Things

 

 

 

 

"Hey Hana want to come with us?" Manwah asked me as she followed me down the hall.

"Sorry I'm going to the library." I told them.

"Why?" Jr asked.

"Studying." I explained.

"You've been studying every day! Come on exams are in ten days! We have plenty of time!" Manwah bickered.

For the past couple of weeks I've been in serious study mode. Since Korean isn't my mother language I've really been making sure I start studying earlier than the rest of the students. Manwah has been coming and studying with me after school, but mostly it was just me. Jr kept telling me he was going to cram everything in the last week, which I told him was a very idiotic idea. But he reassured me that Manwah was going to help him whether she liked it or not.

"I really need to study! And you," I pointed to Jr, "need to study too!"

"I already explained my plan." he said glancing at Manwah. Manwah just glared at the two of us before sighing.

"Well, we'll catch you later then." Manwah waved. I smiled and turned to the exit.

--

"Sixty-three..." I mumbled reading the end of a math equation. I slid one of the many scattered papers I had on the library table towards me. I was currently practicing my math in the library at my usual seat. I scratched my head in confusion as I looked down at the problem I was working on. I began scribbling down the steps of the equation when I heard someone sit down in the chair in front of me. I looked up to see who it was.

It was Minki, reading a book. This time the book was pink and had flowers on it. I swallowed at the awkwardness and tried to ignore him. I continued to work on the problem, but I was so concerned with Minki I couldn't focus properly.


 

I hadn't spoken or interacted with him since the day on the roof. Obviously I've seen him in class and around the school sometimes. But I've tried my best to avoid him, and ignore my feelings.

"Having trouble?" He asked me. I tensed up at his voice.

"W-wha-n-no.." I lamely replied, mentally slapping myself for how stupid I sounded. I didn't look up at him because I could feel how red my cheeks were. If he saw me blushing this hard I would probably die of embarrassment.

"Okay then." He said, I assumed he went back to his strangely colorful book. The both of us occupied ourselves in silence for a while before my nose got itchy and I sneezed.

"Excuse me." I mumbled rubbing the tip of my nose with the back of my hand. Minki suddenly chuckled. I looked at him with wide eyes. "W-what?" I shyly asked. He stopped laughing but kept his angelic smile. He looked up at me, our eyes finally meeting.

"Your sneeze was cute." He answered, casually going back to his book. My heart beat exploded with speed. I rapidly gazed down at my text book trying to let the compliment properly sink in. I couldn't believe he just said that, I couldn't believe how much I was reacting to that, I couldn't believe how awesomely cool he looked, I couldn't believe how adorable his laugh was, I couldn't believe he was still using my hair elastic and I couldn't believe how much I couldn't believe.

I took a deep breath to calm myself. It was just a compliment, a simple compliment, Manwah said things like that to me all the time. Why should I think Minki meant it in a different way? No, he was just being nice. That's it, that's all. Nothing more. But...but why is my heart like this? Why am I getting all nervous again? I told myself to forget about him. I have to, I'm supposed to. I need to. I'm doing this...for Manwah...for Jr. I'm doing this...for them. I need to remember that. I need to keep telling myself the reality of the matter. I can't be selfish.


 

I painfully swallowed my internally exploding emotions and continued with my math.

--

I completed the math package Mr. Lee had given me and was ready to head out to the cafeteria for diner. I collected the loose pieces of paper I had scattered around the table and placed them neatly inside my text book.

"Leaving?" Minki spoke up, closing his book in the process.

"Uh-y-yeah." I replied bringing my text book in my arms while putting my pencil case on top. I hesitantly got up and pushed in the chair with me knee. Minki also stood from his seat leaving his book on the table. I watched as he randomly walked away and out the library. I blinked my eyes in confusion. He didn't push his seat in nor did he bring his book. I walked to his side of the table. I pushed his chair in and picked up his new book. I looked at the title, it said 'Own'. While walking to the exit of the building I began reading through the first page.

It started off in the perspective of a young girl you loved reading romance stories. The young girl, who I soon found out was named Minyoung, was from a small village in a mystical land named Spendia. It seemed like she fell in love with the handsome prince an-


 

“Enjoying the book?” someone suddenly asked as I exited the library. I jumped at the voice realizing it was Minki. He was leaning against the wall of the building with his arms crossed. I blinked my eyes in shock. He smiled a me, slightly laughing at my sight of shock. He got up from leaning against the brick wall and walked up to me.


 

“Uh-h-here. Y-you forgot i-it.” I quickly explained stretching my arm out to him with the book in my hand.


 

“Keep it.” He said, pushing the book back to me. Our fingers touched due to his action. I felt a shiver run all through my body. I shyly looked to the ground bowing my head slightly.


 

“Th-thanks.” I mumbled slowly making my way to the school building where the cafeteria was.

“Can I walk with you?” Minki asked, following behind. I almost fainted out of how much my heart was beating. I nodded my head as an answer keeping my head ducked low. We walked side by side along the stone path. I held my stuff tightly to my chest trying my best to keep calm. I could feel my pulse beating all through my body. My breaths became heavier, but I made sure they weren't audible.


 

We didn't speak to each other on the way. I didn't look at him because I was afraid what would happen if I did.


 

Once we reached the building Minki opened the door. I waited for him to enter, but, it seemed like he wanted me to go first instead. I bowed to him as I went inside. We made our way down the school hall. I heard a lot of talking from inside the cafeteria. I wondered if Manwah and Jr were already inside. I mentally slapped myself for thinking that.


 

Of course they're going to be there...they eat like pigs...I held in my laugh remembering the sight of them eating. I pushed the cafeteria door open and walked inside, Minki followed me through the crowds of people. I was looking around for my two friends, I easily noticed them sitting at the table near the far right. I happily walked up to them.


 

“Hana!” Manwah greeted patting the empty seat beside her. Jr turned around to face me but once he did, a huge grin was plastered on his face.


 

“Who have we got here?” Jr questioned raising his eyebrows up and down. I gave him a confused look before my eyes widened and I realized Minki casually standing beside me.


 

“Minki! Why don't you sit here?!” Manwah suggested, getting up from her seat and moving to the one beside Jr. Minki slightly nodded and did what she had said. I awkwardly stood there my heart rate increasing once again.


 

“Dude.” Jr laughed edging me to sit down. I embarrassingly took the seat next to Minki; Manwah was sitting right across from me. I placed my stuff on the table looking down at my lap. “How did the studying go?” Jr asked, I heard the smile in his voice.


 

“I-it went g-good...” I stuttered.


 

Here, I got you a sandwich.” Manwah said, sliding the sandwich to me. I said thanks and unwrapped it from the package it was in. Manwah continued slurping down her noodles while Jr had already finished his. Minki blankly stared at me while I took my first bite.


 

“Just good?” Jr pondered. I had difficulty to swallow the food when he said that. I knew what he was getting at.


 

“Y-yes, just good.” I assured taking another bite.


 

“Really now? Well it seems like you had more than-”


 

“Minki Oppa!” Jia suddenly sung. I almost spit out my food. I raised an eyebrow at her voice. I turned to my right and saw Minki being awkwardly hugged my Jia from behind.


 

Lsakfafaisnawebfkewjf, what the hell is she doing?! Why in the world is she freaking hugging him?! Get off! Get off!


 

Manwah kicked me from under the table. I glared at her but then realized she was giving me the signal to calm down. I awkwardly nodded my head then slowly turned to Jia.


 

“Come on Minki! Your little angel got you the perfect lunch!” she squeaked yanking him from his chair. He gave her a disgusted look before being pulled away to wherever she was leading him. After a couple seconds of silence I dropped my sandwich on the table.


 

“Little angel? Little angel?” I repeated, annoyance evident in my tone.


 

“Did she just force Minki to go eat with her?!” Manwah scoffed shaking her head in disbelief.


 

“What the hell was that?! This was the perfect opportunity to tease you...now look what she did...after so long you finally get together with Mink-”


 

“She hugged him!” I cut Jr off, discarding what he actually said.


 

“Sometimes she really makes me snap.” Manwah exclaimed, pursing her lips and glaring in the direction Jia left at.


 

“I can't believe she took him away from you.” Jr added.


 

Take him away from me? I thought about that for a couple seconds. But...isn't that what I want? Isn't that what's supposed to happen? I'm not even supposed to be caring if Jia hugs Minki, or if she buys him lunch. They're meant to be together. They have to be together. It's the only way for Manwah and Jr to love each other, be with each other, marry each other. The arranged marriage can only be cut off if both Jia and Jr wed someone else...or else...it's not an excuse to cancel their marriage...I can't be in love with Minki. I can't. Jia is the one who needs to love him. Not me.


 

I quickly finished my sandwich.


 

“You were hungry!” Manwah exclaimed throwing her trash in the garbage can. She looked up to me again, but slightly averted her eyes to somewhere else behind me. She raised and eyebrow and rolled her eyes. Jr oddly looked at Manwah before gazing at me.


 

“What?” I asked Manwah, throwing the wrapper in the trash.


 

“Look behind you.” she hushed. I turned my body around to see what she was looking at. There, a couple tables down were Jia and Minki eating their lunch. Well, no, not exactly, Jia was feeding, yes feeding, Minki. And she was sitting exceptionally close to him. I pursed my lips in annoyance.


 

Jia lifted up a spoon from Minki's soup bowl. She cupped her other hand underneath and slowly brought it to Minki's mouth. I could see forming the words 'open wide'. She smiled her irritating smile when Minki didn't do as she instructed. She said something else, then Minki slightly glared at her, she didn't notice though, and accepted the spoon into his mouth.


 

I turned back to my friends sighing tensely as I did. Jr was blushing, but he wasn't blushing because of Jia, he was blushing at Manwah. I knew why he was acting that way. But I didn't say anything. Manwah shook her head at the scene.


 

“Just look at her, she is totally rubbing this in your face.” Manwah said glaring at Jia.


 

--


 

“Why did you do that?” Jr asked Manwah pointing to the math problem she was working on.


 

Today was Wednesday and exams were starting Monday. We were in my room again. I was on the floor while Manwah and Jr were on my bed. I was studying science because I had trouble remembering the Korean words for everything as the other two worked on math.


 

“Because if you look here,” she pointed out, “if you divide these two you get four and that's wh-”


 

“What?” Jr cut her off, confusion evident in his voice, “Why would you do that?”


 

“What do you mean? I'm following the formula.” Manwah explained.


 

“That's not the right one, we're using this one.” Jr corrected her.


 

“What are you talking about? That isn't right!” Manwah exclaimed erasing whatever Jr had written down.


 

“Whoa, whoa, what are you doing?! Look!” Jr hissed, snatching the eraser from her. “If you take these two numbers then- um- then you have to multiply them and then...you do that thing Mr. Lee said and...um...”


 

Manwah kept silent and looked at Jr with irritance in her gaze before looking down at the paper.


 

“That made no sense, we're supposed to divide these two and then you subtract them to get the total cost.” Manwah said.


 

“The total cost?.” Jr mumbled.


 

“Yes...the total cost. That's what we've been trying to figure out for the past ten minutes.” she grumbled.


 

Jr awkwardly laughed while scratching the back of his head.


 

“Uh...forget I said anything...” he shyly told her blushing slightly. Manwah lightly giggled. She got more comfortable by leaning on Jr's side.


 

“Okay, so then we would divide these two and get four...” Manwah continued. Jr tried to keep in his goofy grin, but he couldn't. He began grinning like an idiot at the sudden contact. I playfully scoffed and rolled my eyes in amusement at the cute scene.


 

They're so perfect for each other. I need to do everything I can to protect their love. I must make sure they get married and stay together. I can't let them brake apart. They love each other too much for that too happen.


 

Even if I don't end up with...him. It's okay. At least if Manwah and Jr have their happily ever after. I'll be okay...I don't need to have a prince charming. I don't...really. I'll be okay...


 

I...


 

I'll be okay...

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I uploaded once again my fellow readers ^^

Thank you so much for subscribing...really...just... TT TT

Great, you made me cry *sniffles*

Anyway, omg Hana...is...giving...up...on....Minki...omg dilema!! Stupid arranged marriange ><

-LonDon323