The First Exam

The Simplest of Things

 

 

 

 

I opened my tired eyes and looked towards the clock sitting at the top of my dresser.

 

“Six thirty.” I groaned in my pillow. I lazily got up from my bed dragging myself into the washroom.

 

Exams were starting today, and to be honest, I was feeling very nervous. I had been studying for a long time now. I knew my stuff. But I didn't want to get distracted in class. Every single day since Jia came and switched into our class she's been chatting non stop with Minki. Every where I see him, Jia's there. In the hall, in the gym, in the cafeteria, outside, in the library, in the class, in the garden, in the field and she would even wait for him outside the washrooms. She has been seriously pissing me off like crazy. And I've been noticing the bags under Minki's eyes and the irritated look he gives her. I really wanted to go up to them and yank Minki away from Jia. If she wasn't rich and didn't own a whole police force I would do so. But, obviously I couldn't.

 

Manwah has been telling Jr and I that she seriously can't take how distracting Jia has been in class. Since she sits right beside her she gets full exposure. I feel extremely bad for Manwah. I would do anything to switch spots with her just to make her happy. She also added that the other students around her have been getting fed up with Jia as well.

 

--

 

“She just wouldn't shut up!” Manwah complained, rubbing the sides of her face to calm her nerves. She was currently sitting in the seat in front if me for the time being. “I don't think I can concentrate with that chatter box babbling for no particular reason to Minki who seriously doesn't even give a crap to any of her stupid nonsense she keeps on talking about it doesn't only piss me off but it pisses everyone else in the class off!” she finished in one breath, huffing at the end while narrowing her brows in frustration.

 

“You have no idea how annoying she can be...” Jr irritatingly sighed while resting his elbows on the table. “I had to deal with that thing for two years...”

 

Manwah's and my eyes widened at his statement.

 

“I don't know how you did it. I can't handle her sitting next to me.” Manwah sighed.

 

I nodded my head in agreement.

 

“Well, she can't talk during the exams or else they would count that as cheating.” I mentioned trailing my eyes to the door as a couple students walked in and lazily took their seat. I was about to look away but Minki entered.

 

Only, Minki.

 

I gasped.

 

“What's up?” Jr wondered turning to the door. “Holy she isn't here.” Jr's mouth went agape at the sight. Manwah looked back swiftly turning back to us with the happiest smile.

 

“She isn't here!” she cried, faking a sob. “I-I can't believe-...I can't believe how happy I am right now.” she acted, bringing her right hand to her heart to emphasize her little scene. Jr rolled his eyes and chuckled at her while I stared at the back of Minki's head. His hair was down today. My heart twisted, but I told myself to ignore it. It was just hair. It didn't mean anything. He could have it down or up. I also saw that he slumped in his chair. He ruffled his hair making it slightly messy, but it didn't look weird. His shoulders raised up then slowly down indicating he had just sighed. He really did not look like he was in the mood for any of Jia's childish behaviors.

 

“Oh God...” Jr groaned resting his head on the table. I cocked a brow in confusion. I turned to the front door, and, as expected, Jia came skipping inside with a big smile on her face. I realized everyone in the class giving her little glares of annoyance. But I didn't, I rapidly looked back at Minki. He didn't move an inch and just sat there.

 

“Minki Oppa!” Jia sung seating herself in her spot. Minki slumped further down in his seat. I felt so bad for him I couldn't take it. I really couldn't. I had to do something. I had to.

 

“Han-”

 

“Manwah I'm sitting in your spot.” I cut her off getting up form my spot and grabbing my pencil.

 

“W-what?” she asked, a little baffled with what I had just said. I ignored her at walked to the front of the class where I was intending to sit. I kept my eyes glued to her seat making sure I didn't make any awkward eye contact with Jia or Minki. As I passed Minki, I noticed him look up at me from the corner of my eye.

 

I pulled out Manwah's chair and sat down facing the front of the class.

 

“What are you doing?” Jia sneered in my direction. I didn't flinch and kept my view to the black board. Jia scoffed. “Are you ignoring me?” she laughed, I could hear the annoyance in her voice. But I kept telling myself it was just a spot. That's all it was. And that's all I needed to think to keep Jia's attention away form Minki. It was fairly obvious that Minki was becoming extremely annoyed and exhausted with the girl. So, I was now determined to do whatever it took to make him suffer no more. “Hey liste-”

 

“Alright class!” Mr. Lee walked in while the bell went off. I mentally had a party in my head for the perfect timing. “Everyone please take your seats and face the front.” the teacher glanced at me with a confused look on his face, but brushed it off while continuing with the exam instructions. “I will hand each one you the exam.” he said, beginning to walk around the room and pass a package of paper to each student. “Please take note that if you make any form of communication this will be considered cheating and you will get a failing mark. Do not look at other students exams for this will also have great circumstances.” he gave me a package face down. “When I tell you to start, that's when you'll flip your exam over.” He then quickly passed to the front of the class putting the extra exam sheets on his desk. “You have three hours to complete the whole package.” He then paused. “You may begin.”

 

Mr . Lee then sat down at his desk. I flipped it over and wrote my name where it said 'name:' and I started the test.

 

--

 

I think I was seriously going to erupt any second. Jia, who was now sitting beside me. During this exam. Which counted for quite a lot, was chewing gum, at an enormous volume. My eye twitched and I ducked my head low to keep myself focused. For the most of the time she had been munching away at her stupid purple sticky gum and it had been pissing me off to no end. I was almost done the exam, I had three pages left with one hour to go. A few of the students had already finished and left class. I was feeling confident and knew all the material necessary. But what was side tracking me, was that irritating noise coming from . I some how knew she was acting that way of purpose just to get in my face. But I clearly did not show it.

 

Jia blew another big bubbled causing a huge pop sound to eco in the silent room. Many kids groaned in annoyance while others messaged their temples to calm themselves.

 

Obviously I wasn't the only one affected by Jia's idiotic behavior.

 

 

 

 

Thank God I'm on the last question. I cried to myself happily filling in the empty lines. Almost. A couple words left. And then...YES! I'm done!

 

I smiled in accomplishment standing up from my seat. I walked over to Mr. Lee's desk and handed in the exam.

 

“All done?” he whispered. I nodded with a smile while turning to leave the class room. Before walking out, I glanced at Manwah. She gave me a quick smile before going back to work. I slightly waved back and left the room.

 

The hallway was very quiet with no one in sight. I casually made my way down the hall. On the sides of the walls were hooks were students could hang their jackets because of the the cold weather. There weren't as many jackets as there were when I had gotten here.

I had hung mine next to Manwah's and Jr's, which was located near the exit.

 

As I slipped my navy blue coat on and zipped the front up, I walked outside in the wind. It was a very cold day today. A great way to start exams. The snow was starting to pile and the air was becoming dry. I hadn't got a cold yet, but Manwah caught a small one. Jr kept telling me she was just so adorable wrapped up in three thick layers of blankets.

 

“Hey!” someone called from behind. I turned around to the unfamiliar voice. There was a good looking boy walking up to me with brown hair and a sweet smile. “Are you Manwah's friend?” he asked, coming to a stop.

 

“Yes.” I replied stuffing my hands inside my jacket pockets.

 

“You are?! Oh good! Well, I was wondering if Manwah had finished her exam yet.” he continued.

 

“She's still working on it right now.” I explained tensing up at the sudden breeze that passed by.

 

“O-oh. Okay...” he mumbled, a cute frown forming across his face. I pursed my lips in thought.

 

“What's your name? Maybe I can tell her you were looking for her.” I said. The boy beamed at me with a huge smile.

 

“What a great idea!” he laughed. “My name is Minhyun.” he introduced, bowing slightly.

 

“Hana...” I replied, my words fading at the end.

 

 

Minhyun? Isn't he one of Jr's friends? Yeah, he's the one who hasn't been hanging around Beakho and Aron anymore. I wonder why...

 

“What a pretty name! I'll be off then!” he chirped then suddenly ran off to somewhere.

 

 

MANWAH POV

 

 

Hmmm...what was it again? I remember having a big chat with Hana about it...

 

 

I looked up from my exam and watched Hana leave the class room. She waved at me right before she left. I gave her a small smile in return. I noticed that many of the students were beginning to finish up their exams. I was on the last page now hard core focusing on the last question. It was about the human body. Hana had been helping me with this subject a lot because I had trouble remembering the different body parts.

 

Dang it...I've been preparing for this exact question for a week now...

 

I scratched my head and thought.

 

A couple minutes later, I still hadn't written down the answer to last question. I pursed my lips to help myself concentrate.

 

Wait a second! If that's your stomach, and this over here is your bladder...hold it hold it! Oh I almost got it! ...Um...oh yeah! Then this must be the-

 

Pop!

 

My eye twitched. I looked up from my exam and saw Jia chewing away at her bubble gum. I wanted to snap my pencil in half, but, of course I didn't.

 

OH MY GOD. I almost had the answer to this stupid question and Jia's stupid freaking annoying bubble gum had to make that irritating noise and lose my train of thought.

 

I took a deep breath to calm myself down.

 

Hana...

 

Why did she do that? Why did she switch places with me? I do have to say I need to buy her several dozen ice cream cones now, but why? Why did she sacrifice her spot in the back, for mine? All the way in the front. Where Jia is.

 

I shook my head.

 

I'll have to ask her later.

 

--

 

I got up from my desk to hand in my now completed exam. As I was walking to the front, Minki also stood up. We both ended up handing our papers at the same time to Mr. Lee.

 

Good bye.” our teacher waved. We bowed back and turned to the door. Minki was in front of me, while I followed behind. As he left the class, I swiftly glanced at Jr who was staring at me. Once our eyes met he blushed a dark red and ducked his head down. I smiled at his cute behavior. I quickly averted my eyes to Jia who was, by the looks of it, hadn't even gotten half way through her exam.

 

I turned away and walked out of the class.

 

Minki was ruffling his hair as he reached his jacket. Mine wasn't to far away from his. Just a couple hooks down. Minki rapidly put on his black coat, he was about to run out the door when I purposely walked in front of him.

 

He furrowed his eye brows at me and was about to go around me but I stopped him.

 

Are you going to go find Hana?” I asked him with a sly smile. A tint of pink began to cover his cheeks but he looked to the side to hide half his face. He didn't look like he wanted to answer me because he didn't say anything. Like usual. “She's probably in the library right now. You should check there.” I told him. I turned around and walked to my jacket. While putting it on, Minki quickly walked up to the exit and ran out.

 

I chuckled to myself. I wish I could see what would happen between them. But I was going to wait for Jr instead.

 

 

HANA POV

 

 

I wonder why Minhyun wanted to talk to Manwah. Where did he even run off to? Why hasn't he been hanging out with Jr and his group? Why doesn't Jr like him that much? He seemed like a really cheerful kind of guy...

 

I pursed my lips as I put the book Own down. I had been reading it before, but I sort of got side tracked at some point. The library had many more people in it than other days. Most of the students were studying for the exams coming. But I didn't want to study, I wanted to relax and take a little break. After being annoyed by Jia for two hours straight I seriously was feeling like I needed to calm down.

 

I sighed as I thought about the other exams that were coming up. I didn't want Manwah to sit in her spot because she would explode and I also didn't want Jia to give so much attention to Minki and bother him. She was doing that quite a lot lately and Minki seriously wasn't looking to good.

 

Wait a sec, but if Jia has to marry Minki in order for Jr and Manwah to end up together...

 

My eyes grew wide.

 

Does that mean that Minki has to be treated like that by Jia all the time?! That would be terrible! Would he even agree to be Jia's husband? Probably not considering the way he's been acting around her...but what's going to happen then? Jr won't end up wedding Manwah and he would have to marry Jia instead...No! That can't happen! It can't! Manwah and Jr must be together! They mu-

 

“Hana.” Minki said sitting down in his usual spot. I flinched at his sudden arrival. He was breathing hard and his cheeks were red from the cold.

 

“H-hi.” I mumbled, realizing I had the book he gave me. He quickly noticed and slightly smiled. I blushed in embarrassment. “S-so, w-what do you want?” I shyly asked trying to bring his attention away from the book. He took a couple deep breaths before starting.

 

“Why,” he began then cleared his throat, “did you switch with Manwah?” he looked me straight in eye clearly wanting the know the answer.

 

“I...didn't w-want Manwah to be b-bothered by Jia...” I said...or more like a white lie. I didn't exactly tell him the whole reason. Which I didn't have any plans on doing so because...well...you know...

 

His small smile faltered and he looked away.

 

I swallowed at his change in mood. I felt really bad at that point.

 

We both didn't say anything for a while. Minki seemed quite disappointed with my answer...well, even I was disappointed with my answer. I didn't know why I felt like I shouldn't have told him the whole truth. Maybe it was because I was trying to forget him?

 

I wasn't really doing a good job of that because Minki had ALWAYS been on my mind since day one. But I knew that Jia liked him, and in order for my two other friends to be with each other was that Jia had to get married. I guess I didn't really consider what Minki actually felt. I mean, I guess it's fairly obvious that he doesn't like her...so...I don't know why I'm trying to forget about him...Jia, she could always fall for someone else...right?

 

I swallowed my pride and took a deep breath before speaking. “A-and...” I added, Minki swiftly looked back at me, I felt my cheeks burn hot, “I didn't want Jia to bother you anymore.” I quickly finished looking down at my lap. From the corner of my eye I could see Minki smiling. Curious. I lifted my head up.

 

My face totally went red. Minki was smiling the most beautiful smile I had ever seen. This smile was real. It was from the heart. He had amazing white shinning teeth that took your breath away. His eyes turned into crescents and his cheeks turned a darker tint of pink.

 

“Thank you.” Minki said sweetly.

 

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

omg >///<

I really have no idea what to say...I got like so many comments for my last chapter

Just... TT TT ...Thank you :)

So..did you like this chapter? Seems like Minhyun has finally made his appearance.

Hoo Hoo Hoo Let's see what happens next ^.~

-LonDon323