Romeo and Juliette

The Simplest of Things

 

  

I shakily walked out of the building holding my book in my right hand and a sandwich and a juice box in the other.

I can't believe they can call that a cafeteria...I thought.

I started moving down the path to the back of the building. It was very peaceful; it seemed like no one hung around here. I made my way to the middle of the huge brick wall and sat down. Leaning my back on the building, I placed My Husband down and began eating my yummy sandwich.

"This is really good..." I mumbled, enjoying the food.

After I had finished my meal, I began reading the book again.

Why were they laughing at it? I wondered.

------------------------------------

As I kept reading, I finally realized why Jr and the others made fun of the poor story.

"I kept telling myself I wasn't gay, but how can I deny the fact that I'm falling for the guy who saved my life?" I read out loud.

I put it on my lap.

"Those guys are so mean! How dare they make fun of gay people?" I hissed, glaring at the tree just across the stone path. "They're stupid." I mumbled, continuing my read.

A couple minutes past and I got stuck on another word.

"Dang it..."

I stood up from where I was sitting and started walking in circles, tapping the book on my chest.

"Anae?" I said. "What does that mean..." I mumbled, looking back at the word. "Anae...anae...anae..." I kept repeating. "Uh..."

I stopped pacing and glared at the little word.

"This is gonna bug me."

I walked over to my food wrappings and picked them up. I made my way to a nearby garbage can and through my trash inside.

Maybe I should go to the library...I'm pretty sure they have a dictionary...no duh...


As I came across the library, the evil lady at the computer wasn't there. I looked over the counter and saw a little note reading; 'lunch break'.

I should have guessed...

I turned around and started looking through the isle labels.

"Fiction...Non-fiction...novel..." I read as I passed each one by. "Fantasy...some word I don't know...uh...Horror..."

I kept walking and walking until I came across an interesting label.

"Romance..." I said, stopping in front of it. "Maybe I should take a look."

I began fishing my way through all the book titles, completely forgetting about the word 'anae' (it means wife btw), and seeing if anything caught my eye.

To tell the truth, I love romance. Romance dramas, films, stories, plays, books, the list is endless. I can't remember the first time I laid eyes on a romance story... because I've practically dedicated my life into it. I am a freak for them.

There was this one story, Romeo and Juliette, my all-time favorite! I read the book a thousand times and all the different kind of versions that were rewritten. When the movie finally came out, I went all out and watched it over and over again until my dad got fed up and kicked me out of the basement.

Whenever I was with my friends or family, I would re-enact every scene by heart, performing a little show for them. Everyone seemed to very much enjoy it. They would always ask me to play their favorite scenes. My grandmother would always die at this phrase each time I said it 'Good Night, Good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow.'

To this very day I still remember each and every one of the lines. I promised myself I would never forget. I mean, how could I? I just fell in love with the story from the start.

But the earliest love story that comes to mind is Cinderella. I just fell in love with how the prince loved and cared for her so much. How hard he tried to find the girl with the missing shoe, running to every house and making every woman try it on. Love at first sight.

I am in love with romance. I know I've mentioned that so many times but I can't help myself! Without romance my life would be meaningless.

Despite how much I include my life with reading and watching it. I've never experienced love myself. Well, I have fell in love with guys before...but...they've never liked me back. I know it sounds kind of depressing...but it's true...

I was never the girl who attracted men. I mean, I'm not ugly or anything, but I just don't...stand out. Other girls are loud, attention grabbers, playful, outgoing...I'm more quiet, keep to myself, boring and...Well...I like reading books...you can only do that alone. (or so you think... ^.^)

Sheesh...I'm making my self-esteem tumble down to the ground right now...

As I looked through the rows of books my eyes gleamed as I took out a familiar name.

"Romeo and Juliette!" I squealed jumping up and down.

I can't believe it! A Korean version...of my ultimate favorite love story!

A huge smile formed across my face as I analyzed the smooth binding.

Wow...I'm just impressed looking at the cover...

I happily walked out of the romance section and made my way down to the seating area. I sat in the same spot I was sitting last time. I got myself comfortable putting My Husband to the side.

Alright! Time to start reading! I can't wait to tell dad I found Romeo and Juliette in Korean!

I cheerfully flipped to the first page and gazed down at the writing. As I kept rereading the first sentence, my smile faded and faded until I put on a confused expression.

"What does this mean?" I said out loud, looking wide eyed at the page. "I don't even understand the first sentence..."

I slumped back in my chair leaving the book on the table. I glared at it and sighed deeply letting out all my excitement from before. A big frown came upon my face.

"I wish I studied Korean more..." I cried, looking down at my lap sadly.

For a long time I stared frowning at the book.

Maybe I should just put it back and continue My Husband...I thought to myself.

I tried telling my body to get up and put it away, but my heart kept telling me not to.

I can't do it...it’s too painful...I can't let it part from me...

I continued staring at the opened book. I could just hear its cries begging me to read it. But I can't...I couldn't understand...the Korean was old...there were many words I've never seen before.

As time went by, I suddenly heard footsteps getting closer, but I didn't bother checking who was coming my way. I was too depressed that I couldn't read my favorite book.

I could tell someone sat in the chair in front of me, so to my curiosity, I slowly looked up. My heart stopped. It was Ren.

Whoa...why am I getting all flustered all of a sudden? I questioned, blinking my eyes away from him. He looks so handsome...I really just want to stare at him right now...I mean...he's sitting right in front of me...

My heart skipped a beat.

Wait! He is sitting...right in front of me...Ahhhhh!!! I screamed looking down at my lap. I can totally feel my cheeks burning up...dang it...I hope he doesn't notice...

I slowly turned my gaze to Romeo and Juliette. I reached over and took the book bringing it close to my face. I was now covered from view of Ren.

It's okay...I'm safe now...he can't look at me...

I paused at my thoughts.

Wait...why would he want to look at me?...I'm not very appealing at the moment...he's probably laughing at how much more attractive he is...

I turned the book around to face the cover. I stared at the title for a long time.

Only if we were madly in love with each other just like in this story...I sighed, putting the book on the wooden platform.

I leaned my body over placing my forehead on the edge of the table. I was now looking at the white boring floor.

I know it's probably impossible for him to fall for me...but...I'm pretty sure we have a good chance of being friends...even though my hearts going to brake when I'm placed in the friend zone...I whimpered frowning more. I don't think anybody else would want to hang around me...I'm the new kid and all the cliques have been made...Ren doesn't seem to be in any of them...maybe he's a good approach...I don't want to be lonely the whole year...

I raised my head facing the reading boy. I sighed inwardly allowing courage to build inside.

"Um excuse me." I began.

Ren slightly looked over his book with his gorgeous eyes and poker face.

"I'm Hana Beaux." I introduced trying my best to smile.

He looked down with no interest.

My heart just ripped in half...I cried, trying to remain calm.

"I'm in your class." I started again. "What's your name?" I questioned, pretending I didn't know already, hoping he would answer.

"Choi Minki." he simply answered, keeping his eyes on the book.

Choi Minki? I thought those other guys called him Ren...I guess Ren's some sort of nick name ...that doesn't relate to his real one at all...odd...

I didn't know what else to say, so I glanced over at his book. It was called Mocked. From the look of it, it seemed like a depressing story considering the cover was a dark purple color.

"What's that book about?" I asked.

He didn't say anything.

This guy really knows how to make someone feel awkward...

"It's about a kid." he blankly replied after a long pause.

I looked at him with a puzzled look.

Nice way to narrow it down...

"What made you want to read it?" I questioned.

There was another long silence.

"I don't know." he simply replied still reading the book.

"You don't know? There must have been something that caught your eye." I insisted.

He simply shrugged his shoulders and turned the page.

Minki really shows no interest in anything...

"What kind of books do you like to read?" I asked.

"Slice of life." he quickly replied.

"Really?" I said, a little shocked he answered right away.

I glanced at the book and thought about it for a while.

"Hm." I began, "I'm guessing that book's about a kid being bullied in school," I paused, "maybe about his looks or differences, but it seems like he really is feeling miserable about life. You're probably at the part where he's about to commit suicide or something very drastic. Considering how into the story you are."

Minki slowly looked up at me. Still no expression on his face, but I could tell he was quite surprised with my remark.

"How did you know?" he asked.

"I took a guess." I simply replied.

He starred at me for a while after going back to his book.

"I like reading romance stories." I said, crossing my arms over the table resting my head on top.

He didn't say anything.

This silence is really killing me inside...

"Why?" he blankly questioned, still reading.

"Why?...I don’t know...I've always been interested in love and mushy stuff." I replied looking down at Romeo and Juliette.

"Did you read that?" he asked, referring to the book.

"Romeo and Juliette? About a thousand times!" I happily answered. "Have you?"

"No." he replied.

"It's a really good book. I recommend it to anyone." I told him lifting by arms and head away from the table.

I took the book and flipped through the papers.

"I really want to read it..." I mumbled.

"Then read." he said back, turning another page.

"I can't..." I sadly told him.

"Why?" he asked, glancing up from his book.

What am I supposed to say? I can't read?...I'll sound stupid...

"Uh...well...I have no clue what any of the words mean..." I truthfully replied, awkwardly scratching the back of my head.

He analyzed me for a brief moment.

"Hand it over." he gestured putting his book down.

"Uh...okay." I mumbled, pushing the book across the table.

He picked it up slid it to the edge. He turned to the first page and read it over a couple times in his head. He kept looking back at each page carefully analyzing them. After to what seemed like forever, he began reading the book out loud using simpler Korean words.

"W-wait what are you doing?" I quickly asked stopping him.

"I'm reading." he answered, looking up from the book.

"Uh...okay then...um..." I paused for a moment.

Is he reading the book to me? I wondered, making my heart beat faster.

"C-continue." I hesitated.

He began reading again; he was a great reader, no hesitations...nothing. Simply perfect. I enjoyed every word that came out of his mouth. His smooth way of talking really dragged me into the story.

His descriptions really made a clear picture in my mind of the scenes that were taking place. The emotion in the characters lines, really surprised me how well he was reacting them. My heart fluttered every time he would read Romeo's parts. I would always imagine that he was talking to me.

I pretended I was Juliette and he was Romeo. It made me even more drawn into the story when I kept picturing Minki saying all the mushy things Romeo was thinking about Juliette.

I couldn't believe how good he was at story telling. My breath was taken away every time he would say a long elegant word. I started getting butterflies in my stomach.

He then suddenly stopped speaking and looked over at me who was totally in to the story.

"Why'd you stop?" I asked very disappointed he didn't continue.

"The first chapter's done." he stated getting up from his chair.

I looked up at him confusedly.

"I'll continue tomorrow." is all he said, leaving me and all the books alone.

"Tomorrow?" I paused. "Aw...and it was getting good..."

I glanced at all three books on the table.

He didn't even bother putting them away...I grabbed them all and stood up. Maybe I should keep Mocked, it seemed like he was really enjoying it.

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I very much enjoyed writing this chapter! I hope you all like it as much as I do! 

BTW I'm spelling 'Juliet' like 'Juliette' because I think it looks prettier...just to clear that out.

Please comment and subscribe!

I just love hearing all your comments!! ^.^

-LonDon323