Hope

The Simplest of Things

 

 

 

"No hope?! Oh come on Hana...you have to trust me! I'll get you and Minki together! Mission : Minki and Hana activate!" Manwah exclaimed, pumping her fist in the air.

 

"W-what?!" I said jumping up form my chair. "Are you serious? I have no chance! What could he see in a girl like me?"

 

Manwah waived her hand for me to sit down. Once I did, she leaned closer to me and smiled. I hesitantly leaned in also.

 

"Want to follow him?" she asked.

My eyes grew wide.

"N-"

 

Before I could answer her, she got up form her seat grabbing My Husband. I rapidly followed Manwah out the building. She was a little ways further than me. I jogged up to her and grabbed her arm to stop.

 

She turned back to me with a confused look.

"What's up?" she questioned.

"L-let's not do this." I quickly replied.

 

She shook her head in disagreement and grabbed my wrist. She began pulling me down the path towards the field.

 

"W-wait!" I said trying to stop her.

 

She ignored my plead. I was unable to make her stop, so I gave up pulling back and let her drag me.

 

We came to a halt in front of a big tree that was placed just a little ways behind the soccer net. She peeked her head out from the right side and looked around.

 

"What are you loo-"

 

She slapped her hand around my mouth causing me to be cut off. I strangely starred at her. She raised her hand away and put her index finger against her lips.

 

"Sh." she insisted turning back to what she was looking at.

 

I followed her gaze and peeked over the tree. My eyes grew wide at what was on the other side. I hid behind the trunk cupping my hands over my mouth.

 

Minki is right there! I screamed in my head.

 

Minki was sitting just on the opposite side of the tree reading his book. It was dead silent except for the wind occasionally passing by. My heart was beating like crazy. I looked at Manwah who was carelessly starring at Minki.

 

I can't believe her! What if he notices she's starring at him?! I panicked grabbed her near me.

 

"What?" she whispered.

Her voice was so low I could barely hear.

"Let's leave." I whispered back.

 

She shook her head and smiled at me evilly. I raised an eyebrow in confusion. She brushed my hand off, and began walking around to where Minki was.

 

My eyes grew wide. I was about to reach over and pull her back but I was too late.

"Hey Minki." Manwah greeted in a cheerful way.

I held my breath and froze in my spot. I kept still behind the tree, hidden from view.

 

MANWAH POV

 

I sat next to Minki, who again, ignored my presence. I just ignored his annoying attitude and began my mission.

 

"So." I started. "Why did you go so suddenly?" I asked.

He didn't answer, he just turned his torso so I wouldn't be able to see his face. I cocked up a brow.

 

How in the world did Hana get him to talk to her? I wondered trying to remain calm. Relax Manwah...relax...

 

"Was I invading your special place?" I questioned, trying to get a reply from him.

 

He became tense for a second, but quickly relaxed his shoulders so I wouldn't notice. But I did. Hehe.

 

"Hm...I wonder if Hana got upset that I sat in your spot." I continued. "I'm pretty sure she was thinking the same thing as you are. The library is quite a special place for you two. Isn't it?" I paused and peeked over at him, I could tell he was listening.

 

Ah ha ha ha! I caught your attention didn't I? I thought evilly.

 

"It's really romantic how you're reading Romeo and Juliette to her." I mentioned making the word 'romantic' more dramatic.

 

He totally froze.

 

HANA POV

 

My eyes grew wide.

 

What the hell?! I can't believe she said that! I can't listen to this anymore, I'm getting a whole bunch of butterflies in my stomach...

 

I quickly, yet quietly, tip toed away from the tree. As I planted my feet on the stone path, I took a deep breath of assurance.

 

What is Manwah thinking?! How did she know I felt a little bothered she sat in his spot? I've only known her for a couple hours...yet she can see right through me?! I'm totally freaking out! What is he going to think of me? What if he finds out that I like him? No...Manwah wouldn't tell him that...I know she wouldn't.

 

I shook my head out of my thoughts. I began speed walking towards the library keeping my head down. As I approached the building a smile flew across my face.

 

Minki...didn't leave... I noticed and stopped walking. He...kept listening to what she had to say... I could feel heat rise to my cheeks. He...didn't deny her...he didn't stop her... I smiled even wider. Could it be...that...he might...like me?

 

My heart skipped a beat.

 

No! Hana...don't rely on hope...you know what happened the last time...

 

My smile faded. It was true. The last time I fell in love with someone, he was a friend I had in class. We didn't hang out outside of school, but we did talk a lot. It was because I sat next to him for almost the whole year. I don't know how I fell for him. Maybe because he was really nice, but one day, I just couldn't stop thinking about him.

 

Actually, to be honest, the reason I failed one of my math test was because I was day dreaming about him the whole time. I was not focused at all and it really took over most of my time.

 

I got the courage to tell one of my friends. She said that he was pretty cute and that maybe I had a chance. Now that I think about it, it didn't seem like she meant it in a good way, maybe I had a chance. Whatever, but I knew I didn't anyway, I was, still am, the nerdy girl in school...who would fall for me? But my friend kept on insisting that I should tell him, guess she wanted some drama in her life. Of course she let me rely on hope. Stupid, clumsy hope.

 

One day, I had built up all my courage, I was ready to tell him how I felt. I remember that day so perfectly, it kills me how many little details I can't seem to get out of my mind.

That day went by so slowly, it was torture, pure torture. I literally doubted myself the whole time. I was so nervous, the 'what if?' theory popped into my mind, I couldn't stop making up a whole bunch of stupid situations where I would totally be humiliated. I was really scared, but I was still holding onto that little, little piece of hope that floated by. 

 

I was in class waiting very patiently for the bell to ring. Once it finally did, I up all my pride and turned my attention to him. He was texting on his phone with the most perfect, happiest smile in the world. He was quite excited, which really surprised me. Instead of confessing to him I asked him what he was so happy about. That's when he told me those four dreaded words; "I got a girlfriend!". My heart shattered into a million pieces right there. I felt like my life was over.

 

All the courage I had built up was for nothing. It was thrown away into an endless pit to never be seen again. What I regretted the most was relying on my stupid hope. The hope that had twisted my heart into a thousand knots. How could it be so cruel? It teered my soul apart in just an instant, so easily. Hope just sneaks up behind you and jabs a knife in your back when you least expect it.

 

I really didn't want to feel that way again. I locked myself in my room for the whole summer that year. I was so depressed, that I had to go to the doctor at one point because I wouldn't eat. Now that I think about it, I was pretty stupid to even consider him ever liking me. I knew from the start that it was impossible. But obviously I held on to to that little chance, that little hope. That maybe he could fall for me.

 

I became sad at the thought and continued walking to the library.

You're so stupid! Don't think about the past... I scolded myself.

 

"Yah!" someone called out.

"Manwah?!" I smiled happily, turning my head in the direction of the voice.

I quickly frowned when Jia came into view. She was alone this time.

"Oh...it's you..." I mumbled.

"It's Jia by the way." she snapped back, coming closer to me.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Nothing really." she replied looking around.

I suspiciously gazed at her.

"Um...okay. I'll be going then..." I told her, slowly turning around.

"Ya." Jia motioned, making me look back at her.

"Yes?" I questioned.

"I don't want you anywhere near him." she ordered.

"Him?" I confusedly asked.

"Yeah." is all she said back.

Him? Who's him? Who's she talking about?

"You mean...Jr?" I wondered.

She snapped her head at me. She rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"No you idiot," she hissed, "Choi Minki."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

...Choi Minki?...why would Jia want Hana avoiding him?

This was unexpected...hm...wonder what's going to happen next O.O

-LonDon323