Chapter 9 |Another one

Fighting the Test

 

My lips parted as I gasped and my eyes widened by the seconds. Oh my god. Is this him? Is this really him? These are the questions that kept on being asked all over again in my head, still not believing that he is standing right in front of me.

I broke out into a smile as he flashed his infamous smile to me. I looked behind him and saw the other 5 members of his group, waving and saying their ‘Hi' and ‘Hello’.

Something suddenly past by me and went straight into his arms, hugging him. “Oh hey, Minki-yah.” He ruffled his hair. Minki had always favored his hyung since he would always come over at our house and played with him since he was 10.

“Where did you go, hyung?” Minki asked. “I’m sorry, we had schedules.” He flashed an apologetic smile towards me. I shrugged it off with a smile. “It’s okay. It’s not like you would come over here just to play with this little kid, anyway.”

Minki sent a glare at me. “Excuse, you. I’m not a kid.” I rolled my eyes. “Says the kid who complained why his hyung wouldn’t come over anymore.” I snickered. Minki mumbled something incoherent and I swore I heard him say ‘female dog’.

My eyes widened. “What?!” I exclaimed. I was this close to beating him up. The other boys laughed. “Whoa, I can’t believe I’m saying this but I missed seeing you guys fight.” Hyunsik said in amusement.

My mother, who went back into the kitchen to finish preparing lunch, came back with an apron and a ladle in her hand. “Come in, kids. Lunch’s ready.” BtoB scrambled inside, not caring if their shoes were mixing up and all over the place.

I laughed at the sight of the members fighting for the seats. “Come on, guys. There are enough chairs for everyone.” But of course, they didn’t listen and continued to bicker. “I came here, first!” “No, you didn’t. I did.”

I didn’t even understand why they’re fighting when there’re empty chairs right in front of them. I shook my head and took my usual seat, right in front of Hyunsik.

At some point, Ilhoon managed to push Sungjae and took the seat beside me. “Hah! In your face! I get to sit beside Noona.” Ilhoon childishly stuck his tongue out. Oh. I figured out the reason they bickered.

My mom came back from the kitchen with a pot in her hands; steams could be seen coming out from the pot. “Wow!!” All of them exclaimed at the same time. She opened the lid and instantly the kitchen was filled with the delicious aroma of beef stew.

“Yeah! Meat!” Minhyuk excited picked up his spoon. The rest took turn to fill their bowl with the stew. “Wow, of course. Your stew is the best, omonim.” Peniel showed her two thumbs up and my mom smiled. “Eat a lot”

“Oh, where’s Changsub?” I asked after realizing that one member was missing. “Ah, he’s not feeling well.” Eunkwang said. “Ah, really? Is it bad?” I asked out of concern.

“He caught a cold, that’s all.” Hyunsik shrugged and continued eating. “I hope he gets well soon.” I muttered.

“Yep, me too. It’ll be hard if he still won’t get better by tomorrow.” Ilhoon added probably after hearing the words I’ve said. “Tomorrow?” I asked.

Ilhoon nodded. “Yep, we’ll be going to Thailand for a concert, tomorrow.” My mouth formed a little ‘O’ and nodded. “You guys are getting busier and busier, now” I realized.

“That’s why I invited all of them, today.” My mother spoke up. “All of you would be busy. They will be busy with their schedules; you would be busy with college.” She said. “Thank you, omonim.” Hyunsik said. “Don’t you know how hard it is to meet Mirae, nowadays?”

I rolled my eyes. “Isn’t it like the other way around?”

 

I straightened both of my legs and lay down on the grass. “Ah, this is nice.” Hyunsik too, joined me and chuckled. “I miss sitting here. It’s always cool and refreshing.” I nodded, agreeing.

We were now both in the garden at the back of my house. The garden was big and filled with lots of flowers, most of it planted by my mother. 

“How is it? Life as a celebrity?” I . “I don’t know. I can’t still grasp the feeling of millions and millions of girls trying to get a piece of me.” I snickered and jokingly punched his arm. “What the hell. You’re so conceited.”

He chuckled. “I was joking.” I suspiciously looked at him. “Right.” I said, not believing him.

“How’s Kyungsoo doing?” At the mention of his name, I stiffened. Hyunsik turned to me when he didn’t get any response. “Why?”

“That’s the problem. I don’t even know how’s he doing?” I said, softly. “You didn’t talk to him after his debut?” Hyunsik asked, surprised.

I sighed and stared at the sky. “I saw him, at a fan sign but that’s it. I tried texting him but he didn’t reply.”

“Oh, it’s nothing. He’s still a rookie, you know. He’s busier than me, travelling everywhere. They’re probably the most active rookie of the year.” He joked but clearly it’s not funny enough when I didn’t laugh. “I’m pretty sure he’s just busy.” He said.

I nodded. “Probably.”

“How’s college?” He asked. I scrunched up my nose. “I don’t know. It’s only been a couple weeks. It is fine, I guess.” I shrugged.

 

 

“I come here often enough and I still don’t know the ways in this house.” Sungjae said after coming back from the bathroom. “Why can’t you guys just live in a smaller house?” He muttered and everyone laughed.

“I wish you guys would stay longer.” I pouted. “Aww, are you going to miss me, Noona?” Ilhoon nudged me. “Of course.” I smiled.

“Mom! Hyungs are leaving!” Minki shouted. My mom came in moments later with a somewhat looks like a lunchbox in her hand. “Take this. A few side dishes and beef stew for Changsub.”

“Thank you, omonim.” Eunkwang politely took the food from her. “The lunch was delicious, omonim, as always.” Peniel said. My mom chuckled. “You're welcome here anytime.”

“We’ll eat it well, omonim. Thank you.” The boys bowed and went to put on their shoes. I went outside together with them, to send them off.

“Come to see us perform, Mirae-yah.” Eunkwang said. I nodded and smiled. “I will. Do well, okay?” We changed our goodbyes and I watched them going into the car. At the last minute, Hyunsik turned around and spread his arms.

I smiled and ran into them. “Take care of yourself, hmm?” He whispered. I nodded and tightened the grip around his waist. “You, too. Don’t get sick and don’t overwork yourself, Arasso?”

We pulled away and he got into the car. I waved until they were out of my sight. I sighed and rubbed my arms for warmth. It already felt empty without them around.

 

Are you guys expecting D.O? Well, look at the bright side, Btob made a cameo XD.