Chapter 3 |Reassurance

Fighting the Test

 

Minutes passed and Kyungsoo came back inside the practice room wearing a fresh new clothes. Simple, but it still suits him. "Let’s go." He held his hands out to me. I naturally grabbed his hands and went out of the building, not before bidding goodbyes to the other members. 

 

Both of us walked side by side, swinging our intertwined hands back and forth. He still had his practice and could only send me till the bus stop. He smiled down at me and curled strands of hair from my face. He and I spent a few seconds, gazing at each other. He knew what going to happen after they debut and Kyungsoo was clearly worried about it. I reached out and touched his obvious dark circles under his eyes. "Take a better care of yourself huh?" I softly said in plea. 

 

He smiled again. "You too. I know the college entrance exam is stressing you out. " He furrowed his eyebrows. I nodded and sighed. 

He cupped my face "Don’t worry. I’ll be fine. We’ll be fine" He whispered before leaning and placed his lips on mine. His hands slid down and held my hands. I broke off the kiss when I felt something cold slipped through my finger. 

 

I looked down and saw a simple silver ring, gleaming under the moonlight. I gasped and caressed my fingers over the shiny material. "It’s beautiful" I looked at him. 

 

He smiled again (for the umpteenth time that day) and showed his left hand. "Couple ring." He exclaimed oh-so-excitedly. "I could only afford this for now. Maybe, after I succeed in singing, we could get a better one." He shyly looked at the ground. 

 

I chuckled and grabbed the collar of his shirt. "I would love that." I mumbled before kissing him. 

 


 

Scared. That was the only thing I felt when I got off the bus and to where EXO’s first showcase was held. I could feel stares burning a hole on my face. Although no one knows about my relationship with Kyungsoo but that didn’t stop me from being paranoid. The number of fans lining up to get in the hall was terrifying but I felt a little bit of pride in these boys. 

 

The line was no joke and I was starting to get irritated and the hot weather was not helping … at all. It was then when my phone vibrated and I saw our picture came up on the screen. I answered the call quickly, not wanting any fans to see the picture of him with his arms slung around my neck. 

 

"Hey babe." It sounds really busy at the background. "It’s hot outside. Come at the backstage." He continued.

 

"But --- "I was cut off short when someone yelled his name "Got to go babe. Come okay? I need you." Not giving me a chance to reply, he hung up on me. But you didn’t even give me a backstage pass. I thought sadly. 

 

I got out of the line and made my way towards where two horrifying, two tall bodyguards were standing at. I bit my lip as I thought of what to say to the bodyguards. The bodyguard on my left looked down at me and smirked. 

 

"These fan-girls really" He sighed exasperatedly. I still stood there, in front of them, thinking of what to say but my mind was blank. 

"Uhmm, excuse me. " 

 

"What?" 

 

I flinched when he slightly raised his voice "I need to go in. I’m … their … friend."I reluctantly said. 

 

"Backstage pass please’." the other bodyguard said with a bored look. I bit the insides of my cheek and clutched onto my bag. "That’s the thing. I don’t—" 

 

"No backstage pass ,no entrance." I sighed in defeat and turned around. Sorry Kyungsoo. I tried. 

 

"Mirae!" I heard my name being called and turned around. "Let her in." He said to the bodyguards. My eyes rounded in surprise. Why is he helping me? "Are you coming or not?" EXO’s manager,  Sunghwan asked. I snapped out of my thoughts and running to the backstage. 

 

"Thank you." I slightly bowed my head. Sunghwan stared at me before disappearing off to the corner. I frowned and the thoughts of him being nice immediately vanished. The backstage was more suffocating than outside. Staffs running everywhere, shouts and yells could be heard. Seems like EXO weren’t the only ones who’s under pressure. 

 

I needed to find where Kyungsoo was and wandered off to anywhere my feet were taking me. I spotted a familiar back from the corner of my eyes and narrowed my eyes to get a clearer vision. Luhan! 

 

Then I started to see one by one of the members of EXO near Luhan. I took a step to get to them but I stopped when bunch of stylists and make-up artists surrounded them, getting their last touch-ups done. Feeling out of place, I turned around to get back outside. They’re busy. I shouldn’t be here. 

 

A hand grabbed my wrist before I could even take a step towards the exit. I looked at the hand and looked up, meeting eyes with Jongin’s. 

"Where are you going?" His voice sounds plain but there were softness in his eyes. "I need to go. The showcase’s starting soon and you guys are busy. I don’t want to get in your way and-- " 

 

"Non-sense. Kyungsoo hyung needs you.We need you."I smiled and chuckled "Hyung is looking for you." Jongin nodded to one of the waiting rooms. I made my way towards the room and leaned at the door frame, watching Kyungsoo rehearsing his part in 'What Is Love'. 

 

"Aigoo, my boyfriend is so good."I said only loud enough for both of us to hear. At the sound of my voice, he turned around and flashed me his million dollar smile but even that couldn’t cover the obvious nervousness he was feeling. 

 

"You okay?" I worriedly looked at him. "Of course I’m okay" He attempted a smile but failed. I chuckled and closed the door. I threw my arms around his waist and looked up to him. "You know you can’t lie to me" Kyungsoo sighed and slung his one arm on my back and other on my head and ruffled my hair. I glared at him but he ignored it. "I even forgot my lines at the rehearsal." 

 

"I’m right here, aren’t I?" I tried to pull away the nervousness from him and he appreciate my effort. "Thank you. For everything." I leaned against his chest and sighed in bliss, "I'll always be here."