Chapter 29 | Tease

Fighting the Test

I groaned as I looked at my reflection through the mirror. "Mom, I don’t want to wear this." It was a short black dress that's tight on the waist and loosely flows down till above the knee. My mom gave black tights to wear underneath but I still hate it.  

 

"It's cold, mom." I complained to which my mom rolled her eyes. "We're going to have dinner inside the house, not outside, darling." 

I mocked her and subtly kicked her out of my room, "Leave then, I need time to dress up." No one in this house could ever win over my mom. She always wins, unfortunately. 

 

A call came once I've stepped out of shower and when I saw it was Kyungsoo, I answered immediately. 

 

"Don’t laugh, it's not funny." I grumbled. I told him about the dinner and now he was laughing his off, mocking me. He knew how much I hate these types of dinners, especially if it includes my relatives. 

 

"Just ignore them like you always do."  

 

We bid our goodbyes as he was getting ready for a rehearsal and I only got 30 minutes left to style my hair and pick out the shoes and handbags.  

I groaned and muttered curses under my breath. "Stupid Kyungsoo calling at the most stupid times."  

 

 

I gave the maids my coat and they went away. hanging it up somewhere I don’t even care. It has been such a long time since I last stepped in that house-- 1-2 years, maybe.  

 

All of us, the whole family lives on the same land that my grandfather bought and he helped to build each house that we were now staying at. He knew how busy we would be and decided that it's so clever of him to do monthly dinners which I might add is stupid. I know I'm not the only who think of it like that. Even with this monthly dinners I still hate my cousins. 

 

 I scrunched up my face and then quickly replaced it with a smile as soon I entered the living room along with my family. I tried so hard not to throw up on them when I saw the snobby girls that I hate to admit are blood-related to me. 

 

They greeted me with kisses and hugs. My mom excused herself from the 'young people' and went to the other room where all the elders were at. I rather sit there rather than be with these girls. Ugh. 

 

"Oh I like your new hair." The snobbiest and on my number one hate list, Jaekyung spoke up. I smiled and accepted her compliment. "I like it, too." 

 

"But the color doesn’t suit you though." The other oneMinkyung on my hate list spoke up, it's like 2 in 1 because they're twins. Great, isn't it? I tried so hard to fake a laugh and tried not to scoff. Her new nose doesn’t suit her either but I didn’t say that out loud.  

 

I thought I was going to die by just breathing the same air as them and I swore I was going to fled off the moment they started talking about their shares.  

 

Thankfully, I felt my legs being grabbed and held on to. I looked down and I saw an excited pair of eyes staring back at me. She was wearing a pretty baby pink dress and her already long hair was beautifully combed and she had a pink headband to match with her dress. My lips stretched in a wide smile as I picked up the 5 year old girl.  

 

"Aunt Raerae!" I chuckled, love to hear her voice again after the longest time. I kissed her cheek, leaving lipstick marks on it but I rubbed it off. "How are you, Dana?" 

 

Her little arms hugged my neck and slightly jumped in my embrace. "I missed you so much." She squealed and I had to laugh. She's just too cute. "I missed you too, sweetie. Where's mom?" 

 

I turned around and saw the only cousin that I don't hate. "She has been looking for you." She said as I kissed my cousin's cheeks in greetings. I peered at the little girl's face, "Really?" to which she nodded and slightly pouted. I felt bad for not visiting her so I made a promise to play together next time. 

 

The other girls have gone off the moment Dana came and I could comfortably converse with Dana and her mom. "You look pretty, Unnie. As always." Soyeong slapped my arms slightly out of embarrassment. "I'm not, you're just nice." 

 

Soyeong hates the other girls and that's probably one of the reasons why I get along with her.  

 

The dinner was quiet, with only the elders speaking about the company and whatnot. I stayed as quiet as possible, not wanting any attention to be diverted towards me. But I failed, miserably. 

 

"We heard you've gotten a job, Mirae." I smiled politely at the twin's mom.  

 

They were talking about having a job as a composer doesn’t make much blah blah blah, all the things that should've made me angry but didn’t. They have always think low of me the moment my father let me do my own thing; music.  

 

Just because I didn’t take business like most of them do, they're trying to insult me for it.  

 

The dinner had come to an end and I cant wait to get off of the stilettos and jump on my bed drown in the countless amount of sheets and drink hot coco while watching a movie. Yes, I have nothing to do with my life.  

 

"B-but I want to play." A teary eyed Dana held my legs from going outside. I coo-ed and picked her up. I made a promise to play with her the next day and she squealed in glee. 

 

"Mommy, mommy, I'm going to Raerae's house tomorrow." She excitedly told her mom who was in a conversation with her husband. Soyeong turned to me with wide-eyes and I smiled at her. 

 

She told me earlier that day how she and her husband will having an early meeting, along with the other members in our family and felt bad to leave Dana alone with the nanny that even she doesn’t like. I did tell her to let Dana play at my house but she declined, not wanting to be a bother. 

 

But now's that Dana knew about it, there's no backing off. 

 

"You're too nice." Soyeong hugged me and I chuckled. "I just like this little munchkin." I pinched Dana's cheeks and she hugged me. She started telling me what she's going to do on our play time and I can't help but to laugh and get excited for it too. 

 

"Okay, let's do that." 

 

 

And when I agreed to babysit Dana early the next day, I didn’t expect it to be so early.  

 

I grumbled under my breath when I felt cold tiny palms squishing my face. I wanted to slap away the hands that were interrupting my sleep but stopped when I realized who it was. "Aunt RaeRae, wake up!" An excited voice of a certain 5 year-old spoke up. 

 

With a hand covering my eyes, I peeked through the gaps of my fingers to see a blurry version of Dana sitting right next to me on my bed. I immediately tackled her into a really tight hug and managed to get her under the covers with me. 

 

"Aunt Rae, that tickles." She giggled and I laughed along with her. She's just too cute. "Let's sleep for a while." I croaked out and she frowned at me. "My friends are waiting for us downstairs, Aunt Rae. We can't make them wait for long." She pulled my hand along as she stood up.  

 

I pretended to faint and she started to hop on the bed, making me become extremely dizzy. "Okay, okay. I'm up." I surrendered and chuckled. Her little fingers wrapped around my thumb as she led me downstairs. I prepared myself to be greeted by girls her age but I was met with dolls and stuffed animals lined up on the couch instead. 

 

"Oh, so all of your friends are here!" I beamed. It seemed as she brought all of her toys over, literally. I've never seen my living room to be crowded with toys ever, not even when Minki was a baby.  

 

"Where's your mom, sweetie?" I asked as I sat on one of the small chairs. There's a small table and on top of it were tea cups, plates and a lot of other stuff. We're having an early tea party, I suppose. 

 

I watched at she cutely trying to pick out some of the stuffed animals to have a tea party with and she was having a hard time. She looked at me as I asked her the question, "Mommy went out along with mama." She said, referring to my mom as mama. My mom refused to be called grandma just because she's still 'young'-- according to her. 

 

I suddenly remembered about the meeting and nodded my head. The next hour was spent with me imagining that I was living in a magical world with tea that could make us have magic powers. 

 

Dana seemed to have lost interest when I started to talk about unicorns and she started to undress her dolls and trying on different clothes on them.  

I helped her on one and casually asked, "Let's go and shop for toys and cute clothes." She once again became excited and began running around in search for her coat and scarf. "New toys! New toys!"  I laughed and told her I'll be upstairs to fresh myself up and change into fresh and warmer clothes. 

 

It was getting colder and I tried to dress Dana as warm as possible, not wanting her to be sick. I've always wanted to buy baby clothes since I find them so cute and ing adorable but had no one to buy it for.  

 

I was not joking when I told you guys I've been wanting to buy baby stuff. Both of us came home almost 5 hours later with a kitchen set, 2 dolls, a very cute fairy costume (for Halloween) , a tea set, 5 dresses, 6 skirts and whole lots of shirts.  

 

And I still had the bed and furniture to be sent the next day. 

 

Dana fell into a deep slumber, probably from strolling for too long in her stroller or from waking up early in the morning. Either way, I had more time for myself to clean up her toys.  

 

I didn’t expect for Dana's mom to come home so soon when I heard the bell rang. Meetings usually end at night and it was only evening.  

But it was not Soyeong that I found standing right at my door step. It was Kyungsoo with crutches to lean on and bandages around his leg. 

 

I immediately widened the door to let him in. "What the happened?" 

 

And that was one of the moments when I wish I could keep up on social networks and actually know whatever updates they have on my boyfriend. 

"It was on the news." He simply said and I furrowed my brows.  

 

MAMA-- popped up in my head. It was yesterday and I didn’t have time to watch the live as I was having dinner. I planned to watch their performances the next morning but I guess I was too busy with Dana. 

 

"It was just a sprain, though." He shrugged and plopped himself down on the couch. He narrowed his eyes as he finally took notice on the toys. "I didn’t know that you even have time for this." He said and I punched him playfully. 

 

"My niece is here." I couldn’t help myself but to worry about his condition. "What did the doctor say?" 

 

"I'll be fine in a week or so." I was unconvinced by his answer. "How did this happen?"

 

He simply shrugged and told me not to worry much. I scoffed at his words. I'm his girlfriend, how could I not be worried? I knew he wouldn’t tell on whatever happened to him so I fished out my phone from my back pocket and searched his name up. 

 

I looked at him and noticed that he dozed off, probably tired from yesterday. I laid him down and placed the crutches at the corner of the couch.  

 

As expected, countless articles came up about his incident and I sighed. He said it was nothing when he danced throughout an almost 15 minutes performance with a sprained ankle. 

 

"You fool." I muttered but still covered him with Dana's blanket, keeping him warm. 

 

 

Dana woke up from her little nap and asked if we could go to the playground. I thought about bringing her to the park but with Kyungsoo over, that idea was thrown out the window. 

 

"Let's go and sneak in Grandma Sumin's backyard." I whispered to her and she seemed excited by the idea of it and I felt relieved. 

 

My aunt Sumin has a really beautiful playground behind her house. It was the place where I would always play to when I was young. Even though all of us had grown up, she still takes good care of the playground. 

 

The three of us walked to my Aunt's house with Dana walking in the middle of Kyungsoo and I. She excitedly skipped as we neared the playground. I let her hand go when we asked permission to use the playground from one of the maids and I chuckled when her giggle could be heard even from far.

 

Kyungsoo and I sat on the benches as I reminisce the unwanted memories that I had at the playground. "You sound like a grumpy kid." He commented and I frowned. 

 

"No I was not." I denied, crossing my arms across my chest. He pulled me close and kissed my cheek. My anger vanished almost instantly and I scrunched my face. "You and your ways." I muttered under my breath. 

 

Both of us heard a thud and instantly I got up on my feet when I saw Dana falling down on the ground. I was about to run when she stood up by herself and laughed it off. I sighed in relief to see that she wasn’t badly injured. 

 

"Dana is a really bright child." Kyungsoo commented when he watched the little girl continuing playing on the swing. I nodded, agreeing with him.  

Most of the rich kids were spoilt and I'm glad that Dana wasn’t one of them. She doesn’t whine when she gets tired, she still says please whenever she asks for something and she seems to always wear a bright smile on her face. 

 

"I hope our kids would be like her." That came out even before I could bit down my tongue and I cursed inwardly. Marriage seemed far for us, and there I was, talking about having kids with him. I didn’t want Kyungsoo to freak out and become awkward around me and I regret my words almost instantly afterwards. 

 

"Let's just cross our fingers and hope that they won't be as grumpy and violent as you." Kyungsoo said casually. I froze at his words and he didn’t seemed to noticed that I tensed as he watched Dana play with a soft smile etched on his lips.  

 

What he did notice was that I was staring at him and he looked at me in wonder. I punched his arm and he moaned in pain. "See, you are violent." I rolled my eyes as I smiled but still the thought of marriage and kids, didn’t leave my mind, even the days after. 

 

 

I stopped by at SM a week later as they said they were finishing up recording my song. I just decided to stop by to see how it goes and it would be the first time ever that I officially hear the finished song. 

 

"Oh you're here." The producer turned to me as I came into the recording studio. I waved as I saw Jongin inside. I made myself comfortable on the seat next to the producer and nodded when he gave me sheets of paper that have lyrics and notes written on it. 

 

"Alright, Jongin. From the top."  

 

He started singing and I could immediately sense something was wrong when he sang shakily and he was off pitch. The producer stopped him and Jongin apologized. "What happened, you did well earlier." 

 

But he still made mistakes a few tries later. This time, I pressed on the button and spoke up, trying to help him. "Clear your mind, Jonginnie. Pretend yourself as the main here. Pretend yourself losing the girl you love." I spoke softly. 

 

"How would you feel?" I asked and something flashed in his eyes. "Hurt … longing …" He answered softly. I nodded, satisfied. "Exactly, right now with those feelings, try to convey those feelings in the lyrics, okay. From the top." 

 

"A year has already passed but I’m still not over you." He sang perfectly and I could feel the sadness in his voice, the longing and desperation. "I'm lonely, I say to myself." I swore I saw something glistening in his eyes before breaking our eye contact. 

 

"This is the best so far, Kai. Good job!" I smiled and showed him two thumbs up to which he smiled bashfully to. He came out of the room and I . "I didn’t know you could sing so well." 

 

He had to leave because of practice and I had to stay for a little bit longer in the room to discuss some stuff over the song.  

I dropped by at their practice room before leaving just to bid goodbye to the members. But the only one I found practicing intensely in the room was Jongin 

 

"New song?" I spoke out and he stopped dancing to turn at me. I closed the door and walked nearer. "It sounds christmassy." I commented and he nodded, gulping down the water from the water bottle. 

 

"Do you want to learn some of it?" He suggested and I almost laughed my heart out. "Come on, Jongin. We both know that this is stupid. Dancing and me doesn’t go on the same sentence." 

 

He ignored my protests and pulled me towards him, putting down my handbag on the floor. "It's easy." And I rolled my eyes at his words. Of course, it's easy. 

 

He took my hands in his and started to guide me from the back. I looked at him through the mirror and couldn’t help but laugh. "I look stupid, Jongin."  

He, too chuckled but ignored my complains, still trying to teach me. He finally released my hand but to only turn me around and wrap my arms around his neck. 

 

"Are you sure this is the dance because the last time I checked all of you are guys." I said jokingly.  

 

"I gave up. You and dance does not match."  

 

It was when I lift up my head that I noticed how close we were, too close. I took a step away from him, making him drop his hands from my waist. "I told you so." 

 

He laughed light-heartedly and I picked up my handbag from the floor. "Where are the others, anyway?"  

 

"Oh, it's our day off today." I nodded and decided that I've spent too long in a place I wasn’t supposed to be in. Didn’t want to be caught, I quickly bid my goodbye to him. "Work hard!" I said and closed the door behind me. 

 

I almost got the shock of my life when a pair of eyes met with mine as soon as I left the room. 

 

"Whoa, baby you scared me." I said in surprise to see Kyungsoo standing by the door. 

 

"What were you doing in there?" He asked and he sounded suspicious as he said that. "Oh, it was just Jongin practicing." I answered casually, linking my arms with his. 

 

"Why were you in there?" He asked and unlinked our arms, taking a step away from me. I frowned at his attitude. "He was just teaching me your new song, which was stupid because I don’t dance." I laughed but Kyungsoo remained pokerfaced. 

 

I pressed the button for the elevator and turned to Kyungsoo as I waited. "You cant possibly be jealous, right?" I scoffed when he remained silent. 

"You don’t know." He muttered under his breath and I became confused. "What do you mean?" I asked but my question was left unheard by him. 

 

"Hey." The elevator arrived and he went in, leaving me hanging. I quickly got in along with him. "It's just Jongin, for God's sake." I grumbled. 

 

"Let's just not talk about this." He said and I sighed in dismay. "Are you in a fight with him again?" I asked and he shook his head. "Then?" 

 

"I don’t want to talk about this, okay." He raised his voice and I bit my lips. His glare was intense and I felt almost scared of him for a second. Seeing how I tensed up, he ran his fingers through his hair and took a step closer. He engulfed me in his embrace and soothingly caressed my cheek afterwards, looking into my eyes. 

 

"I just hate to see you in other man's arms." 

"Oh look at you being all jealousy and ." I teased and he grumbled, pulling away. I continued on teasing him until we got off the elevator. 

 

"Can you not?" But I did not stop. I had a fun time teasing an embarrassed Kyungsoo all day, even when he called me the hours later.

 

 

Happy new year everyone!