Chapter 8 |Surprise, Surprise

Fighting the Test

 

I groaned and threw my hand phone on the bed in frustration. What the is wrong with him? I raked my fingers through my hair and lay back on the bed. I blew away my fringes from my eyes and stared at the ceiling.

I furrowed my eyebrows, thinking what I could’ve done to make him ignore me. Are we breaking up? I questioned myself, but I did not remember him saying anything about me about breaking up, in fact he really did not say anything to me.

Not even a text, and to think that I even sent him texts every single day and he didn’t bother to reply me once, pisses me off. I groaned and flipped on my stomach, grabbing my hand phone once again. I unlocked the screen to see nothing but our picture to come up on the screen. No texts, no missed calls; nothing.

“What’s wrong, Mirae-ssi?” A sleepy Iseul poked her hear out of the blanket that she covered her whole self in. Her voice stopped me from wailing like a kid and I blinked towards her. I meekly smiled at her. “Nothing. I’m sorry.” I awkwardly laughed and I heard her mumbled a “Never mind.” before going back to sleep.

He’s just busy, that’s why .I reassured myself and nodded. He’s just busy.

 

I messily stuffed my stuff inside my bag and hurriedly put on my heels. I stumbled and steadied myself, careful to not get my face planted on the ground. I sighed in relief and went towards the door, wanting to get out.

I opened the door to find Iseul holding her handbag and her books in one hand. “Oh, where are you going, Mirae-ssi?” She asked as her eyes widened at my messy hair. I smiled and fixed my hair. “I’m going home. I don’t have class until Monday, so”

Her face frowned in disappointment. “I wanted to ask you out though.” I apologized to her, feeling bad to leave her alone for three days. “I’m sorry, Iseul-ssi. I have something to do back at home.”

She smiled and shook her head. “It’s okay, but you have to promise to hang out with me next time.” I nodded. “Promise.” I laughed and showed my pinky. “Gotta go, Iseul-ssi. Bye.” I waved and made my way out of the dorm.

 

I breathed in the familiar smell of my home and smiled. “I’m home!” I exclaimed. My mother came into my vision and gave me a tight hug. “Oh gosh, Mirae-yah.” I smiled and hugged her back. “I missed you, Mom.” I smiled but it disappeared when I couldn’t breathe. “Mom, I –can’t-breathe.” I tapped her back softly.

“Ah.” She reluctantly pulled away and held me an arms’ length. “Wow, you look the same.” She exclaimed. I stared weirdly at her. “Mom, I’ve only been away for 3 weeks, how much could I even change?” I raised my eyebrows.

“I don’t know. Come on, I prepared lunch.” I laughed and let her pull me towards the kitchen. My eyes widened at the amount of food she prepared for me. “Mom, this is too much.” I wiped the non-existent tears at the corner of my eyes, pretending to cry.

I extended my arms, wanting to reach for one of the rice cakes but my mom slapped my hands away. I gasped and looked at her. “Mom, that hurts!” I said, rubbing the spot she slapped me at. “Don’t touch it.” She scolded. “What the---. It’s for me; of course I could eat it.”

My mother chuckled and shook her head. “This is not for you, silly.” I stared weirdly at her. “What do you mean this is not for me. Who else---“My sentence was interrupted when the bell rang.

Both of our head turned towards the door, expecting who rang it. My mother clapped her hand excitedly and almost skipped towards the door. “They’re here.”

I narrowed my eyes. “They? You invited guests to come over?” I asked, following her. My mom turned to me, “You’ve missed him, didn’t you?” Her eyes twinkled in excitement while she opened the door.

“Who is him? I don---“My lips parted as I gasped and my eyes widened by the seconds. Oh my god.