Chapter 9: Secrets

My Little Avatar

 

"Let's take a breeeaaaaak," Key whined and stretched on Min Ki's living room floor.
 
"We've only been working for 10 minutes!" Min Ki fired.
 
''Yeah, 10 minutes too many," Key rolled his eyes and began to look at the pictures lined up on Min Ki's walls. He picked up one of a little girl receiving a medal.
 
"Don't touch that!" Min Ki snapped.
 
"Is this you?" he questioned.
 
"I said don't touch it!" she repeated, lunging herself at Key to claim the small frame, but considering her short height, Key managed to raise it up over his head where she couldn't reach it.
 
Key turned the picture around only to discover a tiny slip of paper folded and tucked into one of the edges of the structure. He slowly plucked it out of its position and observed it.
 
"I'm not kidding, Key, give it back to me!" Min Ki, still jumping, tried to reach the piece of paper.
 
Key, too busy to hear her, unfolded the long strip and began to read it out loud.
 
"Dear Min Ki-ah, Umma and Appa are-" Key was stopped mid-sentence when Min Ki angrily held up her hand at him.
 
"Don't make me," she challenged sternly. Key quickly toppled the object, along with the paper, timidly into her arms. She carefully placed the note back in place and positioned the photo on the shelf without another word.
 
"Mianhe," Key apologized and bowed his head down. Min Ki sniffed. Surprised, Key looked up. "Are you crying?"
 
Min Ki blinked two times before nodding. "So I can't sniff anymore?"
 
"A-Ani, I just thought..." his voice trailed off before looking at his feet again.
 
"Whatever," she rolled her eyes and glanced at the frame a last time.
 
"So I was wondering if you wanted to come to movie night with all of my other friends tomorrow," Key changed the subject.
 
Min Ki stopped in her tracks. "...Who?" she asked without turning her head to face him.
 
"Just my friends and I," he replied.
 
"So that means like, Minho, Onew, Taemin, Jonghyun, Nicole, Minho...?" she confirmed.
 
"You said Minho twice," Key pointed out.
 
"W-What? No, I didn't," she countered.
 
"Yeah, you did."
 
"Why, you jealous?" Min Ki smirked.
 
"Of what?" Key laughed. Min Ki smacked Key hard in the arm. "Ouch! A bit lighter next time, please?"
 
"Sorry, we benders have amazing strength," she chuckled.
 
"You laughed again!" Key pointed at her.
 
"You laughed again."
 
"That makes absolutely no sens-"
 
"So what are you guys gonna do there?" she questioned, cutting him off.
 
"Do where?"
 
"The movie night you pabo," she rolled his eyes at his bad memory.
 
"Just watch movies, play games, hang out," Key shrugged. "I don't know, whatever we wanna do."
 
Min Ki crinkled her nose. "Doesn't really sound like my type of party, I-"
 
"She's in!" a voice from behind answered for her. Turning around, it was none other than Yuri.
 
"Great!" Key exclaimed.
 
"I didn't even answer!" Min Ki's jaw dropped.
 
"You've got nothing to do tomorrow, just go! And as one of your mentors, I advise- no, I command you to go," Yuri took charge. "That's a direct order."
 
Her jaw dropped wider. I can't believe my own sister's siding with him!
 
"Fine, give me the details," Min Ki sighed, cornered by both people in front of her.
 
"It'll be at 7 tomorrow night. You can just wear PJ's if you want, that's what most of us are gonna wear," Key advised. "And my address is in the school directory," he added.
 
"She'll be there!" Yuri disclosed.
 
***
 
"Why exactly did you do that?" Mikki asked her sister once Key left.
 
"You need more friends other than benders," Yuri nodded.
 
"Jiyong's not gonna like it... He'll think I'll use my powers there or something, which is totally true!" she disagreed.
 
"What's totally true...?" Jiyong's voice chimed from behind Mikki.
 
"Yuri's making me go to a party," she tattled. "With all mortals."
 
"Have fun. Oh, and make sure to bring a jacket," he told her. Yuri laughed and high-fived him, leaving Mikki dumbfounded.
 
"What?!" she shouted.
 
"There isn't anything wrong with it, I think it's a good way to socialize," Jiyong said. "It's an order from me, too."
 
"But what about you?" Mikki retorted.
 
"What about me?" Jiyong slumped his shoulders.
 
"What other friends do you have other than in the training center? When was the last time you socialized with a mortal?"
 
Jiyong paused, then opened his mouth tot say something, but nothing came out. "About three years ago- that is not the key issue here!" he raised his voice, making both sisters flinch a bit, but start snickering afterwards.
 
***
 
Min Ki adjusted the waist line of her pajama pants before pressing the doorbell to Key's house. 
 
"Password," Key said in a fake voice.
 
"Key, let me in," Min Ki sighed, for she was not in the mood to be playing. She untied her low ponytail, tied it tighter, and folded her arms across her chest.
 
"Not even close," Key laughed. Min Ki could practically hear his smirk from the other side of the door.
 
"You do realize I have the advantage here," Min Ki raised her eyebrow.
 
Key, afraid he would get burnt again, gladly unlocked the door and swung it open. "Welcome!" he beamed. Min Ki smirked.
 
"Annyeong, Min Ki!" she heard Nicole's voice rise beside her. Min Ki just gave her a small nod before looking the other way. Her eyes wandered around Key's home. It was so much different from her's. Min Ki lived in an old styled, traditional home while Key on the other hand lived in more of a modern one. Suddenly, her gazed fixed on a certain tall male with chestnut brown hair. She felt something almost leap in her stomach.
 
What is this...? she thought as she felt it grow every time she looked at Minho. I pretty much just met him, how could this have happened?
 
"Min Ki? Hellooooo?!" Key shouted in her ear, making her swat at it.
 
"What?!" she asked in a annoyed tone.
 
"We were gonna play truth or dare!" he pulled her over to one of the tables in the middle of the living room and brought over a bottle.
 
Key excitedly spun the long object, and after much deciding, it lingered on Jonghyun.
 
"Truth or dare," Key grinned, almost evilly.
 
"Dare," Jonghyun replied.
 
"Ooooh, I gotta make this good from the last time you got me," Key shuddered at his sudden burst of memory. "I dare you to... tell everyone here your most embarrassing secret," he finished.
 
"Dude, that's a truth!" he shot back.
 
"But I dared you to do it. Now spill, or punishment," Key's lips curved into a cat-like smile.
 
"Punishment?" Min Ki whispered to Nicole who was next to her.
 
"It's just a shot of soju, nothing too horrific," she replied. "You'll be fine as long as you don't do it too many times."
 
She watched as Jonghyun confidently cupped the small glass in his hand and practically threw it down his throat. Meanwhile, she also couldn't help but glance at Minho a bit, of course, the time he looks up. Their eyes met for a mere second before Min Ki pulled their connection apart, totally flustered.
 
"Okay, next victim..." Jonghyun twirled the bottle around the table, and it slowed down near Key and Min Ki. 
 
Everyone looked in their general direction when the bottle made its final decision.
 
"Min Ki.... Truth.... or dare?"