Chapter 31: The Terrible Truth

My Little Avatar

"What Jiyong said was true. SNAP was established long before any of you were born. And yes, I do have powers," Tae Hyuk paced around the room. "But throughout your life, I've been lying to you all... and I'm sorry."

"You're not sorry," Mikki rolled her eyes. "You're anything but that. You've been living a successful life with craploads of money and minions that do whatever you please. Try saying that again."

Tae Hyuk breathed in heavily and shut his eyes tight. "I should have gotten them to tape your mouths, too," he hissed, but soon controlled his anger, for his fists unrolled and his shoulders relaxed. "I am a bender- or, I was, at least. Before I met your mother- your biological mother, that is- a couple of men had captured me. Back then, I was known as the trouble maker throughout all of the benders. I pranked innocent people and I used my powers to my advantage. These men were part of SNAP, but that was when the organization was not as big."

"No need to put in all the extra details, just get on with it," Yuri snapped. She was given a sharp glare from her "father," but she merely returned the look back.

"My my, impatient, are we?"

"I got it from my father," she wittily replied.

"Anyways," Tae Hyuk said through clenched teeth, "they held me hostage for a couple of days. They were planning on running some experiments and tests on me, but I didn't worry. I knew that my friends and family from the benders would soon realize I was gone and come to save me..."

"They never came." he bitterly finished.

"They had had enough of me, it seemed," their father glanced at his feet and his gaze hardened. "With all the trouble I had been causing, who actually wanted me back?" Laughing bitterly, he paced to the other side of the room. "They all probably thought I was playing another trick on them. Too bad they didn't realize I wasn't before it was too late. Tch. I never needed them anyway."

Jiyong growled. "Why does it seem like you are blaming them? You brought it on yourself."

"That, I am very aware of. I did bring it upon myself. But later on, I didn't regret it. I hated it. I hated everyone. Especially my so-called friends and family. Surprisingly, the only ones that were nice to me in the world was SNAP. They kept me in for a month or so that I finally opened up to them and let them run the tests on me."

Mikki stared at Tae Hyuk in disbelief. "Are you insane? They tricked you! It was a trap so they could get what they wanted! They never liked you. They liked your powers."

Tae Hyuk shrugged. "That, I am also aware of. Which is why I turned the tables on them. Turns out, back then, SNAP was very reasonable, not to mention stupid morons. They had no means in hurting us. They simply wanted to know how our powers came to be. So I told them."

Flashback

"We're born like this," a young Chongho shrugged. "There's no scientific explanation to it. It is what it is."

One of the scientist's eyes widened. All their research... drained. They even ran the tests on them, and everything was perfectly normal. Perfectly normal. But... Chongho was right. There was no explanation to it. They were just more advanced human beings, he supposed. "So... does that mean we should just give up on benders? Maybe we should work on another project. Bigfoot, perhaps?"

Chongho scoffed. "Please. You're giving up that easily?"

"B-But you just said that-"

"What is the point of SNAP? To figure things out about super natural creatures? And then what? Write books on them? Create programs and websites?"

"Well yes, to be able to earn money."

"To earn money? Who's gonna believe you anyway? There's no actual proof, and people aren't dumb. If they see something like this, they'll definitely think it's fake. It's like those lame mermaid documentaries," Chongho said. "It's a waste of time."

Another scientist stepped up. "Then what do you suppose we should do?"

Chongho thought for a bit, then mustered up a plan. It was a risky plan, but a genius one as well. He would teach all the benders what they deserved once and for all. "I'll let you in on a little secret. Those benders- excluding me, of course- aren't as nice as you would think," he bent down to whisper, "They're planning on world domination. The plan is progressing. They could attack any minute now," he lied, watching every pair of eyes widen at his statement.

"R-Really? What's their plan?"

The teen sighed. "Unfortunately, I don't know. Only the adults are allowed to plan and be in on it. Of course, I'm completely against the idea. I love the world how it is now. Please help me," he faked a sob or two.

One woman in a lab coat grabbed his hands, pitying the boy. "I'm so sorry. But how are we supposed to help?"

Immediately, he replied. "Change SNAP. Now that you basically have no research, it's good to start again, yes?" He watched as confusion washed through all their faces. He groaned, rolling his eyes. These idiots... "Instead of running this scientific crap, why don't you help save the world? Capture every strange creature out there to make sure they'll never turn on humans."

At first, everyone thought the teen was crazy. But as he continued to lead the idea on to them, they hesitantly agreed, and since they didn't know a lot on this topic, they appointed Chongho as their president.

And thus, the once innocent SNAP was turned into an army.

End of Flashback

"I started living double lives. I told SNAP that I would sneak over to the benders and try and get something on their plan. Of course, I was really just doing my every day thing. WHen I got back, though, I sprouted lies and nonsense to them that they always believed," he chuckled. "And then I met your mother. She never knew of my double life, and willingly married me and had you three with me."

Yuri snapped, "For what reason?! I doubt you even loved her."

"That... is completely true. The only reason I had you brats was so that you could take over SNAP if something ever happened."

"YOU BASTARD!"

At this, the three siblings went wild. They tried everything. Screaming, cursing, trying to use their powers or break free or... something. Just anything. They felt insulted. And he had also disrespected their mother. Both of them. They then realized why he never wanted Jaemin to know of their secret.

"Then why did you leave us?! Weren't you taken away by loan sharks?" Mikki panted, trying to catch her breath from her previous tantrum.

Tae Hyuk picked at his nails. "Another act. Most of the benders were relocating, so SNAP was as well. As for your step mother, I didn't give a damn if she figured out your powers or not. But now that you're all back..." he slowly inched forward to them.

"...I can get my revenge."

***

Tae Hyuk had left the room for a while to meet with his minions. Mikki, Jiyong, and Yuri sat there in silence, trying to let everything sink in. It just seemed so... surreal. Like all of their lives had been complete lies, which wasn't totally false.

Not only was Mikki thinking of the story she had just heard, but pretty much everything. Her mother. The benders. Her friends. Key.... Herself. Just life as she knew it. She wondered if anyone had ever figured out that it was her father behind all this. She wondered how either of her mothers would react if they were to see their ex-husband right now. She wondered how her friends and Key were holding up. They probably didn't even know that this was happening. Just continued living their lives like normal people.

These were the times when Mikki wished she was just a mortal. It would save her a lot of stress and pain. In fact, what was so special about benders anyway? Yeah, they had powers. But those powers were the only things that separated them from humans. If they could only use their powers when needed, and if the citizens would only look passed the things that made benders "creatures," then maybe...

But then again, what did she know? After these past hours, nothing. Nothing at all.

In fact, why did benders even have to train? With her knowledge, it was to help save the world if it ever needed saving. But there was never one time that happened. Not once in history. Mikki started to believe that it was just some sort of recreational activity. After all, they did always have tournaments which now that she looked at them... were stupid.

That's all the world was to her: Stupid. Stupidity revolved around practically everything and was the thing that made life so complicated. The fact that there were super natural beings, the fact that she was the avatar and that everyone relied on her, the fact that people don't accept them, the fact that she, along with the other benders, would never be able to live a normal life. Ever.

Her thoughts roamed to what Minho had said a long while back.

"Fate itself doesn't take orders. It only accepts changes."

Pfft. He said that it would help her in her times of need. This was her time, and so far she had come up with nothing. She spent a lot of time before this had happened, trying to figure out what Minho had meant. Because to fate, weren't changes orders? Or... what? It was like a puzzle. Everything was like a puzzle. Thanks a lot, Minho, she thought bitterly. She didn't even want to think of Key, either. It would just cause her too much to handle.

"So," Jiyong was first to break the ice, "what do you think we should do now?" That was a first. Usually he was the one fixing the problems, but this time he was the one who was the most mentally unstable.

"There's nothing we can do. Just sit here and wait for it all to be over," Yuri answered lifelessly.

"If it ever will be over."

"Now, now, let's try to be positive about this," their brother calmly stated.

"Positive?!" Mikki roared. She barely ever yelled at either of her siblings, but this was an exception. She wasn't in her right mind then. "How can we be positive when all of our lives turned out to be lies?! Huh? How can we be positive when everything we know and love is in danger? You try telling me one good thing about this situation! I dare you."

Jiyong sighed. "To us, there may not be any. But at least the citizens and mom are safe."

"They might not be for very long, though," Yuri bit her bottom lip. "Who knows what will happen now?"

====================================

Okay first of all i'm a big fat liar. so i won't say anything too long or else i might get killed by my subbies lol

so if you're confused with the whole story, basically their dad was always looked down upon and disliked by a lot of the benders. when he was captured by snap, the scientists realize that they had nothing to document on since benders are perfectly normal humans, just with powers. their dad tricked them by saying benders were trying to take over the world and tricked them into making him their leader so he could get revenge on the benders that had always hated him. he lived a double life so he could have children and so the snap business could remain for a long time... yea.