Chapter 20: Meet the family

My Little Avatar

Min Ki moped out of school the next day, not feeling one bit energized, even though it was the start of their spring break. She had gotten everything sorted out with Yuri and Jiyong, but she hadn't, however, cried like that in a long time. Yes, she cried. Not even cried, she bawled as she was being comforted by her siblings, talking about how she really did have to leave them soon.

"Hey hey hey!" Key chimed next to her. "Good job with the whole project, guess what we got?" 

"I don't have to guess, I'm in that class, too, you know," Min Ki scoffed.

"Yeah, but you were asleep almost half the time!" he reasoned as he fished out a piece of paper from his book bag. "See? 97! High-five!" he raised his hand up high, expecting she would do the least in slapping it back, but instead, she ignored it.

"Hey, you okay? You don't seem like yourself," Key said, poking her cheek. Min Ki scowled and jerked her face away from the perky boy.

"I'm just tired," she lied.

"That's what they all say."

"Then what don't they say?" 

Key opened his mouth to say something, but closed it back up again when he had no better argument. It's now or never, Key... you can do this...

"Hey Min Ki..." he started. Min Ki turned her head back in response. "Uh... I know we haven't known each other for long... but would you-"

~Ring Ding Dong Ring Ding Dong Ring Diggi Ding Diggi Ding Ding Ding~

Min Ki's phone lit up. "Sorry..." she awkwardly apologized and reached into her bag, fishing her phone out. Jiyong's name flashed, making her pick it up immediately.

"Yeobosayeo? Jiyong?"

"Mikki-ah! Hurry home, the tournament is tomorrow! You really have to practice if you wanna beat Chaerin!"

Min Ki almost gagged at the sound of CL's name, but then remembered something.

"Eh? How did you know about that?" her eyes widened.

"Oh please, Min Ki, you blurted it out right as we were talking things out. Remember?"

"Right... Arasso, I'm on my way. Bye," she closed her phone and sighed heavily.

"Look Key, can we finish this talk some other time? I have to go home to practice."

Key scratched the back of his head. "O-Oh. Sure thing." He had a hint of disappointment in his voice.

Right as Key was about to walk away, she grabbed his wrist. "Wait. So since the competition's tomorrow, do you wanna come? I could really use the support from my... friend."

Key couldn't help but grin widely from her offer. "Really? You aren't kidding, right?"

Min Ki rolled her eyes and shook her head.

"AHHH THANKS SOOOOO MUCH I-"

"Yah!" she plugged her ears. "Don't make me change my mind!"

"I'll text you all of the details when I get home," she informed before taking off.

***

Key's phone buzzed, making him jump for it right away. His hand was shaking as he flipped open the screen.

To: The Almighty Key
From: Min Ki

K, so come to XXX park tomorrow at 10 am. I won't be there since competitors have to be there earlier, but Yuri's friend will be there to help you from there. Just look out for her. See you there!

He smiled in satisfaction. "I'll confess once you win, Min Ki-ah. I know you can do it."

***

Key waited on one of the swings in the park Min Ki had directed him to. He checked his watch endless amounts of times. 9:55. Okay, so maybe he came around half an hour early, but the excitement was really getting to him.

"Kim Kibum?"

Key's head snapped up at sound of his real name. He spun around, but nobody was in sight. The whole street was empty. He felt as if he were to sneeze, it would create a large echo.

"Kim Kibum! Up."

Looking everything side to side, he did what the strange voice told him to do. He glanced up, only to have the biggest shock of his life. A girl, a pretty one at that, probably in her early twenties, floated in mid-air randomly, but to Key, her naturally glowing face really drew him to her. She settled down in a patch of grass nearby and dusted off her denim shorts.

She walked over to the stunned other, waving her hand in his face. "Kim Kibum, right?" All Key could do was nod.

"A-Are you Yuri's friend?" he asked. The girl smiled.

"Neh. Im Yoona imnida. I'll be the one helping you around," she offered a hand for him to shake. Key happily shook it.

"So... where is everybody? Actually, the whole street looks pretty empty," he commented and looked around. Yoona shook her head and giggled.

"This whole neighborhood is all where benders live. They're all at the stadium already," she explained.

"Where's the stadi- OH MY GOSH!" Before he could finish his sentence, Yoona had sent a gust of wind in his direction, easily flying him in the air.

"I'll show you!" Yoona followed, taking a big leap.

Key screamed. Loudly. "YAAAAAAAHHH! PUT ME DOWN!"

"Really? When we're this high up, I don't think you'd want that, but okay! Whatever you want!" Yoona shrugged, letting a big sigh escape her lips. As it did, Key felt himself dropping. Lower, and lower, and lower...

"YAH YAH YAH! PUT ME BACK UP!!"

Yoona rolled her eyes. "Fine fine, no more complaining, though." Key, shaking like a leaf, nodded.

As they got even higher, everything seemed to have lighten up a bit, as if someone had just taken a heavy weight off of your shoulders. Yoona then let go without any warning whatsoever.

"YAAAAH!" Key screeched, eyes shut tight. Still, all he could hear was Yoona's laughter. Slowly and carefully, he opened each eye and noticed that below him were the fluffy clouds.

"Chillax! You can walk here now. The center's over there," Yoona pointed at a large building, something that looked a lot like a regular school gym that was also floating. Key was about to make his way over to it when Yoona tugged on the collar of his shirt. "Nu-uh! You can't go in there! Not without a power, of course."

"You're giving me a power?!" he clapped excitedly.

She shook her head. "Powers require responsibility, something you seem to lack in. I'm giving you a power-up which is totally different. We're gonna pretend you're an air bender, arasso?"

"Wait! Can't I have another? I mean, fire's pretty cool. It's manly! Wait, but earth means you're strong... but water-"

"You're getting air."

Key pouted. "Fine."

Yoona chuckled quietly before reaching out and grabbing Key's hand. "Close your eyes," she ordered. He shut his eyes tight, a bit afraid of what was coming next. Yoona started to mumble quietly, the language was unfamiliar with Key. That is, if it was even a language. He started to feel sparks run up and down his body. "You can open them now."

Key shot an eye open, anxious of what was going to happen. He almost screamed when he saw Yoona. It wasn't scary, it was just a bit freaky. Her hair glowed, shooting straight up out of her head. She was completely bright yellow, still with her eyes closed. Key outstretched the hand that wasn't holding hers to touch her skin, until he realized he was in the same appearance.

Yoona opened her eyes as they both drifted downwards so they were fully on top of the fluffiness that surrounded them. They changed back to their normal selves.

"Wha-What just happened?" Key looked down at his body to see if any physical changes were made.

"I gave you the power of air," Yoona responded. "But only use it-"

"Woooooaaaaahhh," he threw his hands up in the air and started thrashing them about, having wind beneath his fingertips.

"YAH! Listen to me when I'm talking to you next time! I said only use it when we get there. Power-ups only work for one attack and you just used it up. Come here, we have to do it again," she pinched the bridge of her nose and started the process back up again.

***

"Name."

"Ehh?"

"I need your name," the security guard impatiently looked Key up and down. Yoona had already gotten in since she had to get ready for her team to compete.

"Right. Kim Kibum," he hesitantly replied. "Air bender. A real life air bender. They don't get as real as me! Hehe..."

The guard threw him a strange glare, then focused back onto his clipboard. "Ah here you are. Pass."

Key mentally sighed in relief before passing the large man. Little did Key know, there was another guard waiting for him at the end of the hallway.

"You look new," he stated. Key nodded. "Mind if you show some of your powers?"

He cleared his throat. "N-Neh..." Nervously, he his hands in the most dramatic way possible, and sure enough, literally blew the man away. Whoops...

"Pass," he managed to croak out from up against the wall behind him. Key smiled happily before skipping into the arena.

***

Key's jaw dropped. It was huge. It was a lot more than just a regular high school gym, it had to be at least 30 times bigger!

"Key! You made it!" Yuri came rushing in, clad in a bright pink tank top and black yoga pants. "Min Ki and I still have to get ready, but you can stay with our brother, Jiyong for now," she pointed at someone far across the stadium. The figure raised his hand.

As Key made his way over, he could tell that this 'Jiyong' that Min Ki talks about all the time isn't as intimidating as she says he is. In looks, at least. Jiyong grasped Key's hand and shook it roughly.

"Jiyong. Yuri and Min Ki's brother," he introduced himself.

"O-Oh... Kim Kibum, but Key for short," he tried to let go of his hand, but failed, feeling the grip on his hand tighten.

"You're the one that my little sister talks about?" he asked.

"W-What? She t-talks abou- aahhhhhh..." his sentence as cut short when Jiyong's hand clenched and squeezed his.

"Remember one thing. My sister comes back hurt, you do, too," Jiyong finally let go of Key's hand, automatically having him shake it in the air to try to relieve the pain.

"Y-Yes sir..." So this is Min Ki's family... wow.

======================================================

Ok so I admit, this chapter isn't my best... at some parts I was kind of blunt with introducing things but it was kind of hard to write that kind of stuff becuase to be honest, I made it all up on the spot... >.< Anyways, next chapter you'll finally see the tournament! Gaaaah I just got my school schedule and I have like, NO classes with any of my friends! Not even lunch :( Btw to all those Trapped on Exo Island subbers, I feel awful for not updating, but I promise I will once AFF restores my missing subbers and chappies because tbh, I kind of forgot how everything happened in that chapter and I want all my subscribers to be ble to read it, but don't worry!

-dino-nerd525