Chapter 26: In Need of Protection

My Little Avatar

Key watched the man carefully, flinching at every little move that he made. The man slightly blew on the tea Key had kindly given him and took a small sip, letting a small hum of satisfaction escape his lips.

"What kind of tea is this?" he asked. Key furrowed his eyebrows, then gave him an Are-You-Serious???? look.

"You came to ask questions about this," he held up the camera. "Not tea!"

The other chortled and placed his cup down gently. "Alright alright calm it  down," he said and stared at Key silently. Key looked around, waiting for his voice, but nothing came. The man was just staring at him like a statue.

"Are you dumb or what?!" Key exclaimed. He didn't care if he was talking to an elder, this guy was driving him insane and practically barged into his house. His mom wasn't home, either, meaning she wasn't there to scold him or anything. "Ask me a question! Or you know what? I'll go first. Who are you?"

The older grunted and eyeballed Key up and down with a look of disgust. "Fine. The name's Jongwoo. Now I'll ask a question," Jongwoo looked through the camera roll, then finally stopped at a picture. The one when Key was in front of the large stadium. "Where were you here?"

Key cursed in his mind and blinked twice, trying to find a decent answer to give. He opened his mouth, then closed it again. The opened, then closed. Finally when he was about to reply, there was a small knock on the door.

"I'll get it!" Key jumped up quickly and ran over to the front door. Saved by the door, he chuckled to himself.

As he opened the door, Mikki's soft, gentle voice took over. "Hey Key. I just wanted to invite you to training tonight if you wanted to. It'll be at the same place..." Key widened his eyes, then watched Jongwoo who had his forehead creased, listening to everything the girl was saying. He slapped a hand over and dragged her into the bathroom, but not without a small, "Excuse me," to Jongwoo.

"What do you think you're doing?!" Mikki shouted once he let go. He put a finger to his lips, telling her to speak quieter. "Who was that man?"

"Someone that could be the end of you and all the benders."

"What? Key you aren't making any sense."

With a long sigh, Key began to explain everything, not leaving out a single detail.

"What?!" she exclaimed, immediately placing a hand over . Quieter, she whispered, "What?! Why didn't you just rip it out of his hands and er punch the guy?"

Key looked at her, almost amused. "You honestly think I can do that?"

She slumped her shoulders. "No. But there has to be some way. Just.... just follow my lead."

Mikki tried to seem as calm and collected as possible as she strode out of the bathroom; however, on the inside, she was jittery and shaking with fear as to how she was going to get through this. She wasn't going to give up, that was a no-brainer, but the man looked tough and would definitely not back down without a fight, either.

"Annyeonghasaeo, Kwon Min Ki imnida," she politely bowed and flashed a friendly smile. Key almost bust out laughing at her cute act, but covered it up with a cough and snort. Mikki frowned at him and held back her scowl. If she was going to be a -up, she'd have to do it right.

Jongwoo looked at her, totally silent besides his heavy breathing.

Mikki coughed and dryly chuckled. "Neh, so that's my friend's camera," she pointed at the small object, "and we'd really like it back. It's very, very precious to his family."

"I see."

This time Key coughed, trying to avoid awkward silence best as possible.

"So can we have it back?"

"No."

Mikki's eye twitched as unconsciously blurted out, "AISH THIS GUY-"

Key clamped his hand shut over Mikki's mouth, turning her cries of frustration into angry muffles and hums. He cleared his throat and looked at her. "What she meant to say was..." He let go to let her finish.

Now calm and collected, she continued. "What I meant to say was, you don't need this dirty old thing. It has a lot of... sentimental value and we'd really, really appreciate it if you would be so kind enough to give it back to us."

Jongwoo pursed his lips. "The thing is, I'm not kind," he admitted. As much as the couple respected his rather blunt honesty, they were just about ready to slit his throat open.

Mikki shuffled closer to him and placed her hand on the shiny camera in his hand. "So anyways, I'll just take this," she slowly began to slide the thing out of his hand. She really had no other choice. The guy was impossible to deal with. The only way to fix it would be to force it from him. Mikki smiled in satisfaction when she felt the whole item in her hand; however, frowned when Jongwoo yanked it back.

"Not so fast, girly," he . It wasn't enough to blow her over the top, but it was enough to have her grab him by the collar and whisper threatening words in his ear.

"Ooooh, feisty. I like it," Jongwoo taunted countless amounts of times, and the more he did, the more Mikki could feel her blood boil. Just as she thought her anger had died down, the last remark set her off. "I wonder what your parents think to have a violent daughter like you."

Mikki lunged herself at him, clawing and punching every last bit of him as she could, knowing her powers wouldn't be the best decision in this situation. She smiled to herself. For once, Key actually let her attack instead of holding her back. Who could blame him, though? That's my girl, he thought.

Jongwoo groaned in pain as she continued to physically abuse him and placed his foot on her stomach before launching a final push, firing her off. He got up and dusted his clothes with noticeable marks and scratches on his face. There was no doubting that he had bruises under his heavy clothes and would definitely be hurting in the morning.

"AISH! Crazy chick..." he thought aloud and looked at the camera in wonder. If they try so hard to get it, it must be worth something, he thought and shoved it in his jacket pocket for safe keeping.

"Now can we have it back?!" Key bellowed at Jongwoo; however, didn't expect to get shoved right into the wall while the thief made a run for it out his front door. Being a supportive girlfriend, Mikki leaned down and rubbed Key's back, hoisting him up, and yanking him away, sprinting faster with each step.

They ran for a while, but when the crosswalk flashed STOP, the couple did as they were told. However, Jongwoo didn't. He leaped and twisted between each of the honking cars, probably scared out of his mind. When he reached the other side, he waved the camera up in the air, stuck his tongue out at them, and ran off until he was just a small figure shadowed by the sunlight.

Mikki and Key looked at each other worriedly. They both felt like crying. Mikki, because her life was now in serious danger, and Key because he felt the worry and guilt of not being able to protect his girlfriend in such critical times.

"O-Ottokae?" she asked herself and bowed her head down.

All Key could do was embrace her. Truthfully, he answered, "I-I don't know. I'm sorry."

Mikki sniffed, "You shouldn't be sorry. None of this is your fault."

Silence.

"I... should probably get home now. It's getting late. You should, too. I-I guess I'll see you tomorrow, then," she stated quickly and turned the opposite way, not wanting Key to see her fallen tears.

"Yes, it is my fault," he whispered to himself. "I couldn't protect you. I'm sorry."

And with that, the first tear fell...

=========================================================

Hey guys, probably a depressing, short chappie today. i know, i always manage to disappoint you guys like i havent updated in 2 weeks and i give you... THIS. :( i dunno i feel like this story is going downhill... what do you guys think? drop a comment, click the subscribe button, and dont forget tell your friends. thanks~

OH AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY NEW HUNHAN STORY:

Up Until Moving Day

-dino-nerd525