Chapter 15: Step 1

My Little Avatar

Taemin joined Min Ki and Key on their way to school with a smug grin plastered on his face.

Key eyed him weirdly. "What are you so happy about?"

He stifled a laugh, showing off his big dimples. "Oh nothing, nothing..." 

"Doesn't seem like it..." Min Ki raised her eyebrow and smiled sarcastically.

"Oh look, there's Minho hyung!" Taemin pointed across the street and waved at him. Min Ki snapped her head up at the mentioned name and smiled, running up to him. The four then separated into two groups- Min Ki and Minho, and Taemin and Key.

Taemin took note of Key clenching his fists and his fake smile, stomping everywhere. He chuckled, making Key whirl his head around.

"What are you laughing about?" he asked, putting it off a bit too coldly.

Taemin raised his hands up in defense. "What? What did I do?" he faked innocent, like he usually did to get what he wanted.

Key sighed and loosened up, pinching the bridge of his nose. "I'm sorry, I'm just a bit-"

"Jealous?" Taemin finished for him. Key furrowed his eyebrows. How did he know?!

"Uh, I was gonna say stressed," Key defended.

"Mhm, sure you were," Taemin giggled.

"What's up with you? You've been acting like this all week and it's kind of creeping me out," he poked his cheek, then widened his eyes. "You didn't tell Min Ki's secret, did you?!" he whisper-shouted in Taemin's face, maybe a bit too close considering Taemin got some of his spit in the corner of his nose. Taemin gently pushed Key's shoulders back, then wiped the small drop of saliva with the back of his hand.

"No. And since we're talking about Min Ki, don't you think that her and Minho would make such a cute couple?" Taemin asked, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. Obviously, Key did not trace the sarcasm as he scoffed.

"They're alright," he rolled his eyes at the laughing pair.

"Alright? Alright? Alright describes how hot your mom is," Taemin playfully hit Key's arm.

Key bonked Taemin on top of his head. "Yah! What of it? My mom's pretty!" 

Taemin shrugged apologetically. "But they make a really nice couple. Everyone else thinks so at the lunch table, even Onew hyung, and he barely knows anything about relationships."

"Look, I don't get what makes that couple so special, I mean, they're just friends. If anything, I think Min Ki can do so much better," Key crossed his arms.

"Better than Minho? Like who? You?" Taemin pointed at Key who still stubbornly had his eyes closed shut, arms crossed like a little kid who refused to eat their vegetables.

"Ye- wait, I mean no!" Key flung his eyelids open and tried to fix the mistake that was already drilled into Taemin's mind.

Taemin laughed and poked Key's cheeks, squishing them and mis shaping them. "You like Min Ki!" he teased.

Key swatted Taemin's hands away from his face. "So what?"

"So you aren't denying it?" he badgered once again.

"N-No. It's just a petty crush, it'll go away sooner or later," he reassured.

"If you say so~!" Taemin chanted.

Step 1: Confirm Key's crush true love. [Check]

***

At the lunch table, Min Ki and Minho were chatting it up again while Taemin and Nicole were snickering and whispering on the other side, gossiping away.

"Nicole noona, I seriously think Key and Min Ki would be good together. Look at how Key's reacting to Minho," Taemin secretly pointed at the blonde who was just about ready to kill the salad he was eating while Onew and Jonghyun were trying to calm him down.

"I thought the same thing!" she agreed. They looked at each other and grinned. "You thinking what I'm thinking?"

Taemin wiggled his eyebrows. "Oh yeah, I'm already on it. Key likes her." Nicole's mouth formed an 'o'.

"Jinjja?" her eyes widened in astonishment. "He hasn't liked a girl since... me..." she awkwardly stated.

Taemin laughed. "You're way out of his league. I'm surprised you even sit with us."

Nicole ruffled his hair. "Come on, I'm not that shallow to ditch my friends."

***

Key stood by the light pole and checked his phone again.

From: Taeminnie
To: Almighty Key

Key hyung! Meet up at the park Saturday at 10 am, yeah? See u then! ;)

Key checked his watch. 10:20. "Aish, where is this boy? Why couldn't we just have walked together, his house is right there..." he kicked a pebble nearby.

"Talking to yourself?" someone said from behind him, making him jump and clutch his chest.

"You scared me!" he breathed heavily. Min Ki chuckled and stuck her tongue out at him. "What are you doing here?"

She fake pouted. "Not happy to see me?"

Key rolled his eyes, knowing she was just kidding. Why is she so happy today???

"I got a text from Nicole saying we should meet up. See?" she held up her phone as evidence.

From: Nicole <3
To: Min Ki

We should meet up! Saturday at 10:15. I WONT TAKE NO AS AN ANSWER!!! :) see u!

"I don't see them anywhere..." Min Ki looked around and shrugged.

Key did the same, then clenched his fists. Taemin...

"What? What's wrong?" she waved a hand in front of his face.

"Nothing, nothing. Let's just enjoy the day together. I have a strong feeling that neither Taemin or Nicole will be coming any time soon," he tried looking angry, but mentally thanked the two.

Min Ki shrugged, but followed along, totally oblivious to Key's feelings.