Chapter 28: In need of comforting

My Little Avatar

Key sat there, frozen. There was no way that he would let his girlfriend go, especially after he just got her. Although, he had to admit, it was an awfully good plan. Let's see...

Pros: It would guarantee her safety, along with all the other benders.

Cons: It would mean her leaving her friends and boyfriend.

Key was at a fork in the road. He didn't want her to leave, of course, but something inside told him that it was for the best. She was safe, and probably would be a lot happier. Isn't that what he wanted for her? If he were a god boyfriend, he would let her go. It did kind of start with him, anyway. If I'd never had met her, then we all probably wouldn't be in this slump.

At that moment, Mikki walked out of the bathroom. "Good news, guys, my mom finally got Yuri out of her room, but Jiyong threw a rock at her and-" She stopped mid-sentence when she felt the tense atmosphere and mood going on. "What's with all the sad faces? It's fine... did you guys think of any ideas?"

Minho and Taemin glanced at one another, then like they read each others' minds, stood up abruptly. Minho scratched the back of his head. "Key, I think you got this one. We'll leave you two to it," he grabbed Taemin by the wrist and speed-walked out of the house.

***Mood music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6nz_BHvARs

"Key...? What's wrong?" Mikki placed a hand on his shoulder and worriedly held his hand. He felt a million sparks run through him like the first time he felt feelings for her, but it made him feel even more selfish. He pulled away from her grasp.

"Key?"

The blonde sighed. "Sit down."

She stared at him like he grew another head. He was definitely serious this time, and that was never good. Sheesh, what really happened when she was gone for 3 minutes? Despite all the thoughts coming in at once, she did what she was told and took a seat next to her boyfriend.

"Taemin and Minho came up with a plan to help you when you were talking to your mom," he started.

"Well if it really upsets you and it's just an idea, then we can just-"

"No. I-I want this for you. But at the same time I don't," he frowned and looked down at his fingers that he was playing with. "You have to move."

"And let me guess... out of Korea?" she finished for him. He nodded solemnly. Mikki sighed and stared out the window. "Would you be okay with it?"

Shrugging, the other replied, "It's not a matter if I'm okay with it. It's a matter that I'm not involved in. It would be selfish of me if I told you to stay," he managed a half-smile. "Besides, it's not like you would be gone forever. Right?"

Mikki ignored his question and continued to urge on. "It does involve you. You're my boyfriend and I have to make sure you're okay with it."

This time, Key let his emotions show. His face showed anger, yet tears burned his eyes. "No. No, I'm not okay with it. But like I said, it doesn't matter to me."

"We could still be together..."

"Long distance relationships never work out."

"Key, I'm trying my best here."

"You think I'm not?!"

"We haven't even decided if this is going to happen or not!"

"Yes, yes we did! I agreed to it, you're okay with it, so that's that!"

"No, I still have to run it by with everyone else!"

"Well what else would they want? This is our only option!" By now, Key's tears that formed finally singed and one ran down his cheek. Mikki said nothing this time. Key continued. "So that's that then."

"What are you saying?" she asked, confused. Mikki wasn't sure if he meant about the decision... or about something else. Something both of them definitely did not want.

"I don't know... what do you think I'm saying?"

"...Th-That we should break up." Obviously, she was right by the neutral expression on Key's face. Her face fell and she tried so hard to keep her cries back, but apparently, it was impossible, even for one of the toughest girls out there.

"Then let's break up."

Something in both halves of the couple broke and shattered inside of them, and Mikki could have sworn she heard her heart literally break. She loved Key, but if this was what it took to keep everyone safe... She just didn't know anymore.

"Key..."

"This isn't going to make it any easier for us if we continue like this. Might as well stop here before anything worse happens," he looked away and clenched his fists. I really have to let her go...

Mikki sat closer to him, and she hesitated a bit. "Kibum..." With another quite restricted move, she tilted his chin to face her, then leaned in and pressed her lips against his.

Key cupped her face in his hands and moved his lips in unison with hers. The kiss was short, yet it was sweet and filling, like Key could live in the moment forever if he wanted to.

"I love you," she whispered. "But if this is what you want..."

Key took over and finished for her. "This is what I need to keep me going. I need to make sure you're safe and happy."

Mikki bitterly laughed. "I won't be happy unless I have you." Why did the world have to be so unfair? Couldn't fate just let her by happy for once? Why did everything have to get so depressing and complicated?! She must have done something terrible and horrid in her past life to have her deserve this.

"Mikki," Key slumped his shoulders and caressed her face. "I'm sure that you'll find someone else." At mention of this, Mikki's eyes rounded, but before she could object, Key beat her to it. "There are plenty of fish in the sea. Like this saying: If you love something, let it go. And if it comes back to you, then it was meant to be."

"I guess we should let fate take its course," she sighed, but she couldn't help but cry even more. Key wiped her tears away with his thumb and shushed her cries, even though his emotions mimicked hers.

"I guess so."

"Well," Mikki wiped her eyes on her sweater sleeve and sniffled. She held out her hand for Key to shake, "it's been nice being your girlfriend, Key. I wish you the best."

Chuckling dryly, he shook her hand. "It's been a pleasure for me, too. Good luck."

She half-smiled. "You, too, Kibum."

They looked in each others' eyes gently, and they both snickered. "Can I?" Key held his arms out.

"Of course," Mikki sniffed one more time and welcomed herself in his embrace, savoring every last bit of it. She wanted to stop time right here. If she were to die right then, it would be okay. This was probably the last heart-warming encounter she would have with this boy, and she wanted to remember every little detail, from Key tenderly rubbing her back, to her tears wetting the sleeve of his shirt.

"I-I should get going now..." she finally pulled away and put her sunglasses on, along with her bag. "I'll let you know what they say, okay?"

Key nodded. "Do you think we'll see each other again?"

Mikki looked down. Unfortunately, she didn't have the answer to that question, but she could at least give him a little more comfort. "Honestly speaking, I don't know. But if... if this is the last time," her voice cracked a bit and she stopped herself before she could cry again. "Thank you, Key. I love you."

Trying to lighten the mood, he joked, "I thought we were supposed to be broken up." She sarcastically rolled her eyes. "But I love you, too."

With a finally goodbye and smiles, Mikki grasped the doorknob and twisted it, walking out into the cold winter air. She took one last look back, waved at Key, then left him, possibly forever.

Slamming the door at his best, Key let out a hurt scream of frustration and kicked the doorstep. He slid down the door in sorrow and tucked his arms over his knees, wailing into them. The girl, the one he loved, was officially gone. Most likely, he would never see her again.

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, then it was meant to be...

Between cries, Key sobbed, "Maybe it wasn't meant to be."

***

All the way home, Mikki sobbed. She sobbed to all her heart's content, and she probably wouldn't stop any time soon. It was her first heartbreak- and compared to what she saw in movies, it wasn't nearly as bad as what she was feeling at that moment.

She opened the door and called, "I'm home!" As best as she could. Wiping her tears away, she went to go and find out if Jiyong ever decided to come out of his room.

And surprisingly, he didn't come out of his room, but instead, the whole family was in his. Both Jiyong and Yuri were weeping in the middle of his messy room, and Jaemin was busy providing them with the comfort they needed. It's been a while since Mikki's seen either one of them cry, but one thing's for sure, somewhere along the way, Mikki joined them and wept.

"Oh my," Jaemin commented, "I have a lot on my hands right now."

"I think I have to call a meeting," Mikki hiccuped.

"Wae?" Jiyong asked once his cool was back. "Did you come up with anything?"

"Yeah. But I'm not sure how they're all going to react to it."

***

T^T sad chap... and dont be like, "ASDFGHJKL WHY SO SHORT?!?!?" coz i'm probably gonna update tomorrow. MHM THATS RIGHT I CAME PREPARED! WOOOOHOOO! anyways, cya! HAPPY NEW YEAR~ 2013 BABY!!! and participate in this poll if you havent yet!: CLICK MEEEH!