Chapter 11: Saviors

My Little Avatar

 

The figure stepped two steps back, countering the water attack with something that looked like vines and leaves. It took another step back, and the light from all the power shone on the person's face, now completely visible.
 
"M-Min Ki?" Key asked, surprised.
 
"Didn't any... body tell you... not to go into alleys?!" Min Ki looked back at him and managed to say through pants while each opponent's attacks just got stronger. All Key could do was stand there, watching the whole scene. He felt so.... helpless. So weak. 
 
From behind, Key could see the waves dying down, then all gone, back to the darkness of the alley.
 
"Hey, little avatar, is he your friend?" one of the other girls strode up to Min Ki and smirked, glaring at Key.
 
"Minzy. Dara. Bom," Min Ki nodded at all of them, acknowledging each of the girls. "Where's your little leader, huh?" she put her hands on her hips.
 
"For your information, CL is quite busy right now preparing. She's planning on winning this year," the girl that attacked, Minzy, arrogantly said.
 
"I've heard that that's what she says every year, but what always ends up happening? Oh yeah, she loses to my brother," Min Ki teasingly laughed.
 
"Like you can do any better?" Dara scoffed.
 
"Look who's talking, though... Three girls who risk revealing their secret just to get some entertainment out of it," she gestured towards Key who was backed up against the wall in fetal position. Min Ki rolled her eyes at the shivering blonde.
 
Bom folded her arms across her chest. "Sometimes those training dummies can get so... boring. They don't squeal and squirm like real dummies do," she smirked.
 
"Are you sure he's the dummy here?" Key, surprised on how Min Ki was standing up for him, widened his eyes.
 
Min Ki spoke again. "If you ask me, I'd say-" 
 
SLAP
 
Key winced at the sound of Bom's hand meeting with Min Ki's face. Min Ki cupped her red cheek in her hand and bent over, but soon regained herself once again and returned to her original position, but this time, with a burning and throbbing cheek as well.
 
"Just watch your mouth, avatar. Next time, we won't go so easy on you," Minzy shot her sharpest glare at Min Ki.
 
"Oooh, I'm so scared," Min Ki teased and mouthed to herself once the trio was out of sight. She turned around to face Key and helped him up.
 
"So now you've seen it. You scared?" Min Ki asked, poking her tongue on the inside of her cheek. Key wondered what she was talking about, then remembered it was his first time seeing Min Ki use her powers intensely.
 
Key shook his head. "You saved my life."
 
She rolled her eyes. "No, I saved you from getting soaked and maybe a couple of bruises, not your life."
 
"Thanks."
 
"Whatever," she flipped her bangs to one side.
 
"Who were they?" Key asked, pointing in the direction the three girls had walked off to.
 
"Minzy and Bom are water benders, Dara is an earth bender, they're all wannabe avatars," she explained it quick and simple. Key nodded in understanding.
 
Min Ki folded her arms across her chest and leaned against the wall, panting hard. "I really gotta practice more. That was really..... was really..." her voice drifted off, and the next thing Key knew, he was dealing with an unconscious Min Ki.
 
"Oh nonononono, not good," Key used his foot to roll Min Ki onto her back and saw her chest puff up and down. Oh thank god, she's sill breathing....
 
"M-Min Ki? Monkey? Mikki?" Key tried all her nicknames and poked her hand with his foot. Do I just wait here for her to wake up??? Suddenly, Key saw her hand start to light up in the dark moonlit alley. Key sighed in relief, expecting her to jump up to her feet again, but instead, the light from her hand moved up her arm. Key bent down and touched it. "Ow!" he on his now burnt finger. Min Ki's body then began to shake. "Oh gosh, I have to get her home, now!" Key panicked and scooped Min Ki up in his arms, avoiding her lit up arm. He ran as fast as he could with Min Ki dangling from him, her hair flying in the wind.
 
"Argh, I hate running most in the world," Key muttered to himself, but didn't stop, stumbling on his feet every now and then. "Where was her house again...?" 
 
After about 5 minutes of running, Key lost his way, and now Min Ki's right leg was a bluish color and would splash water on him when he touched it. "What the hell...?!" Key looked up and down the streets and realized he was more near his own house. My house it is....
 
Key kicked his door open and set Min Ki down on his couch. "Umma?" he called. When he heard no reply, a colorful piece of paper caught the corner of his eye. Key walked towards it and ripped it off of the door.
 
Kibum,
I've gone out with my friends for the night. And I know what you're thinking, but don't worry, we aren't going to a bar or anything, I'm just helping the nursing home two streets down with everyone else. Please don't stay up too late and try not to get into trouble. I'll be home by morning. Dinner's in the fridge if you want.
-Umma
 
"Aish.... What do I do now?!" he glanced at Min Ki, still passed out. "Wouldn't she be up by now?" Key strode over to her and observed her now colorful body, each glowing and dimming at their own pace and location. "Yuri!" he snapped his fingers and started looking for Min Ki's phone to dial the tall girl. Please don't wake up now, please don't wake up now.... Key thought as he took her small phone out of her back pocket, careful not to touch anything he wasn't supposed to. He flipped it open and punched Yuri's number, hoping she would pick up.
 
"Yeobosayeo? Mikki-ah?" her voice came from the other end.
 
"A-Aniyo, it's Key..." Key answered.
 
"Key?"
 
"Yeah, I have Min Ki at my house and-"
 
"OH MY GOSH WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY SISTER, I SWEAR IF YOU-"
 
"ANIYO! It's not like that, she kind of passed out and I couldn't find your house, could you give me your address?" he talked over her shouting
 
"But neither me or Jiyong are home... I'll just tell you what to do over the phone, but listen closely. Did she pass out after using her powers?" she asked calmly.
 
"Ne, but I-"
 
"She's just tired and drained, she hasn't gone training in a couple of days, so she's a bit rusty. Has she turned different colors?"
 
Key looked at Min Ki. By now, her milky skin color has completely faded and has mixed in with the bright cloth-like patterns, like she was a human quilt. "Ne," he obediently answered.
 
"Okay, that means she's recharging, just don't touch her and you won't get hurt. She'll wake up any moment, but for now, if you could keep her cool, she'll be fine," Yuri advised.
 
"Arasso, thanks Yuri noona," Key chanted before closing her phone shut and tossing it back onto the couch. "Keep her cool," he repeated Yuri's instructions in his head. He placed a cold, wet towel on the top of her forehead. As soon as they came in contact, Key could hear a sizzle, and her forehead changed back to normal color.
 
All until morning, Key sat next to Min Ki, changing here towel. She was almost back to herself at around 1 am, but not clearly yet. Suddenly, her eyelids began to twitch and she shifted in her sleep before rising with a stretch and yawn. She looked all around her. Where the hell am I???
 
"Good, you're awake," Min Ki heard Key's voice come into the room as he yawned.
 
"What happened?" she asked, trying to sit up, but Key gently pushed her shoulder back down.
 
"You need to rest. It's okay, you just passed out after you're little episode with those girls, that's all," Key explained shortly.
 
"And you helped me?" Min Ki pointed at him. Key nodded and yawned again. I can't believe he did that for me....
 
Min Ki bit her lip. "Did I hurt you?" she asked when she noticed the boy's bandaged finger. Key looked at it.
 
"This? It's nothing, I should have known better than not to touch your glowing body," he chuckled.
 
"Thanks," Min Ki said, slightly smiling.
 
Key shook his head and removed his cooking apron. "Don't worry about it. And before I forget, I made you this," From behind his back, Key took out a decent sized rice soup bowl and handed it to her on a tray along with a spoon and napkin. Min Ki looked at it longingly. I can't believe he did all of this for me....
 
"This.... is for me?" she pointed at it and raised her eyebrows. Key nodded. "And you made it?" she asked again. Key smiled proudly for his answer. Min Ki didn't hesitate to grasp the spoon and take a big spoonful, plunging it down without even blowing on it first.
 
"Oh! Don't do that, it's still-"
 
"Ah!" she dropped the spoon back in the bowl and fanned her burnt tongue with her hand. "Well I guess we both got burned today, huh?" she laughed along with Key.
 
"I thought you were immune to burns," Key tilted his head to one side and stirred the soup once.
 
"Not in my mouth, though. Just the places where fire comes out of, like my arms, legs, heart, and mind," she nodded and took a slow mouthful of soup. "Mmmm, it's good." Key nodded in thanks and continued with his questions.
 
"Heart and mind?" Key questioned.
 
"I'm able to control it with my mind and heart with where it goes without physical contact," she replied. "But I'm really not supposed to be telling you these things. Can we just... change the subject, please?"
 
"So.... about your singing voice...?" Key tried again, hopefully. Min Ki sighed.
 
"What about it?" 
 
"Do you take lessons, because you're really good," Key complimented.
 
"Thanks," Min Ki took another sip of soup. "But... well, I guess I kind of..... I used to take lessons," she slumped her shoulders in thought.
 
"Why'd you stop?" 
 
"My teacher.... she..... left," Min Ki whispered the last part.
 
"Left?" Key raised hie eyebrow and settled his head onto his couch, joining her.
 
Min Ki closed her eyes and never opened them when she spoke. "She was my mother."
 
Key looked at Min Ki sadly. He wanted to ask more, but something told him that he really shouldn't have.
 
"Well, I should get going. Thanks for everything, Key," Min Ki sat up and placed the tray onto the coffee table before bowing her head at Key and silently leaving. Once left, Key couldn't help but feel sad, and kind of miss her presence, but he shook it off and lie in the spot she was in to finally get some shut eye.