Chapter 16: Dukbokki

My Little Avatar

"So why are you so happy today?" Key nudged Min Ki as she practically skipped through the empty park.

She shot him a weird look. "What makes you say that?"

"I dunno, the fact that you've been jumpy ever since we got here, you don't have sarcasm in your voice, and you're smiling," he poked her cheek.

She shrugged. "Maybe I'm just a bit happy today," she shoved her hands into her red shorts after fixing her white shirt and black cardigan.

He pointed a finger at him and shouted accusingly. "See! I poked your cheek! You hate it when I do that! Something's up. Tell me, what is it?"

She rolled her eyes. "None of your business."

"Actually, it is my business because I am your friend, and friends don't hide anything from each other," he crossed his arms and smiled triumphantly.

"Fine. A certain friend that you know just so happens to have a date tomorrow at the movies," she replied. Key unfolded his arms. A DATE?!

"A date?!" he widened his eyes. "W-With who?"

"Just a certain tall soccer player," she hinted, making sure he knew that it was Minho. THAT BASTARD. Argh I should have told him that I liked her! We're like brothers! Bros stay away from other bros' crushes! So does that mean I have to stay away from her now...?

"Tch. That's all? You should be practicing then be going on little dates," he scoffed. She rolled her eyes. He doesn't even care??? Pfft, I shouldn't even be bothered by this... So why am I?

"Whatevs, the tournament isn't for another week or so," she reasoned.

"O-kay! But don't say I didn't warn you!" he said in a teasing tone of voice. "Which movie?"

Min Ki shrugged. "Dunno. All he said was to meet him there at noon. We'll have lunch, too."

Key chuckled and muttered under his breath, "He's not even picking her up..."

"So what do you want to do now?" she asked. Key raised his eyebrow at how giggly she was. So this is a side of her I haven't seen before... Cute... yet it's gonna take some time getting used to...

"Dukbokki!" Key clapped his hands and pointed at a local cart nearby the playground.

"Why not?" Min Ki laughed and followed along with him. I wish I could see her like this all the time... 

"Two orders please. I'll be paying," Key fished out his wallet and took out a few paper bills.

"No! I'll pay for mine," Min Ki offered.

"Tch, it's fine. Go sit on the swings, I'll be there soon," he pointed behind him.

"But I-"

"No!" he shouted. Min Ki pouted, but obeyed anyway.

"Is she your girlfriend?" the man asked. Key shook his head.

"No, she likes somebody else," Key sighed in remembrance off Minho.

"Well from what I know about relationships, never give up. Got that?" he grinned and handed Key his order.

Key beamed. "Neh! Kansamnida!" he handed him the money and took off with two paper bowls in his hands heading over to Min Ki.

"Here you are," he presented the small serving and a toothpick. She gratefully took it and thanked him. Key sat on the swing next to her.

She popped a piece into and smiled widely, savoring the mouth-watering flavor immensely. Key echoed her motions and sighed. "This was always my favorite when I was younger," Min Ki closed her eyes as a small memory came back to her.

Flashback

"Umma, umma!" a four-year-old Min Ki ran towards her mother who had out-stretched arms and hugged her tightly, as if she were almost afraid to let go.

"Neh, Min Ki-ah?" she responded.

"Min Ki hungry!" she pat her belly. Her mom giggled before setting her down.

"Alright, what does Min Ki want to eat, then?" she held her hand, having to crouch down due to her daughter's petite size and height.

"What is that?" she pointed at a large sign that read 'Dukbokki here! Two for one special today!'

"That is dukbokki. Would you like to try some?" Min Ki nodded vigorously as the pair made their way to the occupied cart, waiting for their order. As soon as it came, Min Ki giggled and poked it with her small fork before putting it in without hesitation. Her smile grew wider as she let out a noise of satisfaction, popping more and more inside of her.

"You like it?" her mother laughed and poked her cheek.

"Wuv!" she shouted. As they started finishing, each of them only had one piece left. "Umma!" she called, tugging on her mom's long skirt. She looked down only to see the cute little toddler holding up a piping hot dukbokki, wide eyes, practically begging her to devour the small snack.

Her mother enclosed it in , and grinned once she saw her daughter's lovable expression. "Min Ki-ah!" she pat her head.

Min Ki looked up in response. Her mother held down for her, her last piece. Min Ki laughed once she saw what her mother was doing, and happily accepted it, savoring each bit.

End of Flashback

"I remember I was always closer to my mom than my father," Min Ki slightly smiled.

"Why do you think that is?" Key asked, hoping he hadn't pushed his luck.

"He always did anything for my mother. Sometimes I thought he cared for nobody but her in the family. And when he left with her... I knew it was true," she looked down, mentally reminding herself not to reveal anymore of her past.

"D-Do you mind if I-I ask what happened?" Key covered his face, thinking Min Ki would snap at him, when in reality, she just pat his head.

"When the time is right, yes," she snickered at his strong reaction. Whew, I'm glad I asked her when she was like this... he mentally wiped the sweat off of his brow.

After a long time of walking and talking, it started to grow late, and Min Ki just remembered she had to go to training. "Omo, I have to go, I have to practice, especially if I'm gonna beat CL!" she said as she started running backwards, still shouting to Key in the process.

"I'll see you on Monday!" she cupped her hand around to louden her voice.

"Arasso! Have fun on your date, and be sure to kick CL's !" he laughed. Min Ki giggled and nodded before waving, sprinting as fast as a cheetah back to her house. Key's smile faded when he remembered her date.

He fished his phone out of his jacket pocket and punched in Taemin's  number.

"Yeobosayeo?" Taemin answered.

"Lee. Tae. Min." Key said through clenched teeth.

"O-Oh! Hyung... h-how's it going?" he giggled nervously on the other line.

"How's it going?! I know what you and Nicole did!" 

"A-And how do you feel about it?"

"I.... I guess I should thank you..." Key pouted when he lost his chance of intimidating the younger.

Taemin laughed. "No problem."

"Yes, problem! Min Ki has a date!" Key hissed.

"Bwoh??? A date?! With who? Minho hyung?" Taemin asked multiple times. Due to Key's utter silence, Taemin groaned.

"That's gonna ruin everything! Hold on. Do you know when and where this is taking place?" Taemin questioned sternly.

"Yeah, tomorrow at noon, movies then lunch, why?" Key asked back, confused.

"Looks like we've got a date to attend!"