Chapter 24: Upset (cliffhanger chap)

My Little Avatar

ok before you read this, first off: SUPER SHORT CHAPTER I AM SO SORRY MY PEOPLE i just wanted to update since i havent in a while and now i bet youre all like, "WTF I WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS?!" and im sorrrrryyyy it was actually a rlly hard chap to write there was barely anything i could do... sorry :(


 

Mikki's mouth flung open at his statement. "You what?"

"I-I lost it..."

"Well hurry and find it!" she shouted, hoisting herself up and running around the whole house to find for the longed for object. "You must have dropped it somewhere in the house... Where else would it have gone?"

"I think it was in my back pocket when I was on the swing and it fell out," he face palmed himself and groaned. "This is all my fault."

"No, it isn't... yet. If we find it everything will be okay," she calmed herself down and grabbed her jacket before tossing Key's to him. "Come on, let's go."

***

They searched all around the park- the swings, the slide, even the play structure, but the camera was nowhere to be found. Mikki's heart sank to the pit of her stomach. This can't be happening...

"Now it's your fault! Do you know what might happen if that thing falls into the wrong hands?!" she scolded him and repeatedly whacked him with her jacket. Key, of course, didn't mind it. It was his fault, anyway, and she was just letting out all of her anger.

"I'll have to leave earlier than when I would have!" she accidentally blurted out, but immediately wished she didn't. Not realizing what she had confessed, she continuously cursed under her breath and ran her fingers through her hair. Key's face showed a number of emotions- from sad, to angry, to just plain confused.

"W-What?" he choked out. "What do you mean by 'earlier than you'd have to'? You... you were gonna leave?" he asked, disappointed. Why she had to leave in the first place, ha had no idea. All he knew is that she was leaving and he didn't like it one bit. She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Okay. Yes, I will soon. But that isn't the point! The point is-"

"So you lied to me?! You led me on, just so you could leave and rip my heart out?!" Key accused, rage taking over both his tone of voice and his facial expressions. "I guess you don't care for me as much as I thought you did..." he said and whispered the last part to himself. "Why?" he managed to choke out.

"Why?"

"Why do you have to leave?" he asked more sternly, clenching his fists from anger and blinking back his tears from despair.

Mikki cleared and blinked twice before giving him a proper answer. "Since I'm the avatar-" she stopped herself when she saw Key's hand that he held up.

"What?"

"So the stories were true," he chortled dryly. "I was hoping that part was the myth," he began to walk away.

"Key! Yah Key wait!" she ran up to him and began to explain herself. "I know it was wrong to keep it from you. But what else could I do? I had no other choice-"

"What about just telling me the truth? Huh? Telling me before I totally poured my whole heart out and gave it to you? I guess that wasn't an option, was it?" he sarcastically rolled his eyes and avoided all contact from the girl whatsoever.

Mikki blew a raspberry in the air. He did have a point there. But she didn't want to lose him. Not then, not ever. "I'm sorry," she apologized, "I just wanted to make everything last while it did. I'd rather you spend a little less than a year with me than not at all. Please understand, I never meant to hurt or make you angry in any way..."

"Well it kind of failed... I'm... I'm just upset, that's all."

"Key, we shouldn't focus so much on the future, we should just focus on the present," she stated while lacing their fingers together tight. "What's happening now."

Key sighed and looked at their held hands. As much as he wanted to hold his grudge, he just couldn't if she was going to be like this. He gave a subtle nod and a slight smile and whispered a tiny okay. "Let's go look somewhere else for the camera, neh?"

"Neh," she nodded back and grinned, racing away, dragging the smiling boy along the way.

***

"Oh yeah," Key's mother, Nayoung, started, "There was something I've been meaning to ask you, I just never had the time to."

The other blinked and took a sip of her tea. Nayoung did the same before taking a bit out of her scone in the quiet cafe. "Yes?"

Nayoung placed down her delicate teacup and sighed. "Kibum's been curious lately... Remember how I told him those stories when he was younger?"

She nodded.

"He's been wondering about them again, after he totally forgot about them. I think America did something to him. Either that or he's gone completely insane. Everyone knows there's no such thing as benders," she shook her head and chortled.

Across from Nayoung, she gulped and blinked again. "S-So... what was the question you wanted to ask me?"

"Right. Do you happen to know or remember where you got those stories from? I just want to finish this whole talk about benders for good. Was it in a fairytale book or...?"

"...I don't remember..."

"Are you okay? You're awfully pale," Nayoung commented and took her face in her hands, feeling her forehead and searching for any color to show up in her cheeks whatsoever because they were ghostly white, even her makeup drained from her face.

"I-I'm fine. Thank you for asking, but I must go now," she quickly got up and packed her small purse, flinging it over her shoulder. Nayoung grabbed her wrist.

"I'm sorry if I did anything to upset you. Are you sure you're okay?"

She sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. "Wouldn't it be funny if.... if benders really did exist?"

Nayoung chuckled, "Well now you're just talking silly. You can't be serious. You aren't serious. Right, Jaemin?"

Jaemin gulped. "R-Right."

***

It lay on the soft fields of the neighborhood park. It shone in the sun and glimmered, making a small spot of light on the park bench. It held all of the memories- the ones that were public and the ones that rather not be seen- or experienced for that matter.

The camera was passed and ignored several times by the seekers, and it was never seen.

Until a hand came in and had all of the memories, secrets, and surprises... in their grasp.