Chapter 5: He's Onto Us...

My Little Avatar

 

"See ya, Key!" Nicole flashed her famous peace sign and scurried off to her next class. Nicole was Key's best girl friend. Girl. Friend. Two words. Key had to admit, he did have a slight crush on her, but he knew she wouldn't feel the same way, considering he did confess to her once. Good thing, though, that Nicole wasn't awkward with him after that.
 
Key waved to her as he slung his backpack over his shoulder and started for his next class when a faint voice called for him.
 
"Pssst.... Key!" it whisper-shouted. Key looked around and could find nobody in the lunch area but Min Ki. He glanced at her, and she motioned for him to come over. Probably just so she can yell at me again... Key thought.
 
"Why are you whispering?" he asked.
 
"I didn't want to draw attention to myself," she replied casually. Key almost laughed, but remembered that he was mad at her and tried to keep his grudge.
 
"I thought you didn't want to talk to me," he said harshly.
 
"That's what I wanted to talk to you about. I'm s-s-sorry for yelling at you like that, I'm..... I-I just didn't get a lot of sleep last night," she lied. She would've told him the truth, but who knows what would happen if he knew she had a soft side. The statement wasn't all false.
 
"So does that mean we're friends?" he smiled.
 
"No."
 
"But I-"
 
"No."
 
He pouted. "Fine. Well it's okay. But there was something I wanted to ask you."
 
"Dude. You don't have to announce that you want to ask me something. Just ask," Min Ki rolled her eyes and took another bite out of her sandwich.
 
"Are you human?" he bluntly asked. Min Ki almost choked on her food.
 
"Bwoh?" she widened her eyes at him and continued coughing.
 
He pat her on the back until she stopped. "I didn't mean to put it like that. I mean... Those rumors that they say about you... And at the restaurant... And those times I tried talking to you... Are those rumors... true?"
 
"What are you trying to say?" she tried to confuse him.
 
"That you... Ummm... I don't know how to put it..."
 
"Then don't bring it up," Min Ki hissed. And with that, she was gone.
 
***
 
"YURI HE'S ONTO US!" Mikki shook her sister by her shoulders and screeched.
 
"Well it is your fault after all... Having all of that sugar like that..." Yuri rolled her eyes.
 
"Ottoke? I don't want to tell him the truth, he'll think I'm a freak!" she shouted.
 
"I thought you didn't care about what others think about you. Why the sudden judgements?" she raised her eyebrow.
 
"I-I don't care. I just don't want him to be scared like everyone else," Mikki fired back.
 
"Oh? And why is that?" Yuri laughed at her sister who was growing red from anger. She saw her start clenching her fists. "No use in using fire on me. I'm a water bender, remember?" she smirked.
 
"Shut up!" Mikki yelled. That was usually what she said when she didn't have a better comeback.
 
***
 
"Umma, I'm home!" Key yelled and threw his bag randomly across the room.
 
"How was school?" she kissed him on the forehead like how she normally would. Key didn't mind, though. If anything, he was used to it.
 
"Good. But you know that girl I was talking about? Min Ki?" he asked and popped a strawberry into his mouth from the fridge.
 
"Yeah, what about her?" she questioned.
 
"I think those rumors they say about her are true."
 
"Maybe she's the avatar," she joked and snorted.
 
"Yeah, good one," Key rolled his eyes and marched to his room.
 
"S-She can't be.... right?" he paced back and forth. "No, that's impossible, those were just stories..."
 
Key shuffled to his closet and swiped all of his clothes to the sides. He almost laughed at what he saw. There, pinned up in the back of his closet was Key's old drawing of what he thought looked like the avatar. He brushed his thumb over the results of his black crayon. "Why do I still have this...?"
 
***
 
The next day, Min Ki decided to sit at another table- one where Key wouldn't find her, in case he started getting suspicious again. Everytime she heard footsteps coming her way, she would turn her head sharply, hoping it wasn't Key. Then, of course, the one time she doesn't, it's the person she was trying to ignore. "Are you avoiding me?" Key whispered in her ear, making her jump a little in her seat.
 
"We aren't a married couple, I don't need to tell you where I go everyday," Min Ki scowled at his clinginess.
 
"I don't know, I just thought you were ignoring me since yesterday," Key took the seat next to her, uncomfortably close. Min Ki shifted in her seat a bit.
 
"Oooh, so I haven't talked to you in a day, that's so menacing!" she rolled her eyes and took a sip of her water, drenching her dry throat.
 
"Avatar."
 
Min Ki spit her water out in his face.
 
"B-Bwoh?" she stammered. Key remained in his scrunched up, soaked face. "Sorry," she apologized and handed him her napkin.
 
"B-But what avatar?" she asked again.
 
"So the word's familiar with you?" 
 
"Y-Yes, but o-only in s-stories," Min Ki lied. Whenever she lies, she always stutters.
 
"Why are you stuttering?" 
 
"N-No reason."
 
"Why aren't you looking at me?" he got even closer to her, almost pushing her off the bench. It was actually the first time Min Ki had seen Key so.... driven. So forceful. And to be honest, it kind of creeped her out. He slid sloser, until Min Ki was hanging off the bench with him hovering over her. That's when it happened.
 
"Get away from me!" Min Ki yelled, raising her rolled up fist.
 
Then, like it was all planned out, Key hopped over the bench, just in time too, for what he would have faced would be a good burn to the . Min Ki sat there, dumbfounded. Key raised his eyebrow.
 
"H-How did you...." she started.
 
"So you are...?" Key raised his eyebrow, high enough that it formed deep creases in his forehead.
 
Min Ki looked down and played with her fingers. "Yep. I am the avatar."
 
============================================
 
Heyo! *gasp* Key knows too much... Oh, and please help Big Bang win against Katy Perry in the pop-off, last time I checked Big Bang was losing by 0.1%... Keep voting!  So, you, thanks for viewing my story! Don't forget to comment and subscribe! 

http://popdust.com/pop-off/   VOTE FOR BIG BANG~!

 
-dino-nerd525