Chapter 17: Somebody else

My Little Avatar

"Shhh there they are," Taemin shushed Key and pointed in the middle of the restaurant. Key glanced in the general direction, his eyes barely reaching the top of the menu he hid behind. Sure enough, Minho and Min Ki were there, being seated a few tables down from where they were.

"Why are we doing this again?" Key sighed and took off his sunglasses, placing them in his lap.

Taemin attacked his face with the menu. "Don't! They'll see you. We've already gone this far, might as well finish it."

Key rolled his eyes. "To be frank, this is stupid."

Taemin flashed a hurt expression at his hyung and began fake crying. Key narrowed his eyes at the younger, knowing him too well that he was bluffing.

"Well you gave into the idea, so you're pretty much saying that you're stupid," Taemin reasoned, a smile plastered on his face as Key scoffed.

"What do we do now?" he asked, putting the glasses back on his eyes to fulfill his dongsaeng's wish. 

"Well, we do have food in front of us... let's eat!" Taemin immediately dug into his pasta without another word as he glanced at the other couple again, who both were talking about something, but all Taemin could make out of Minho's mouthing was, "I'm glad you're here."

The two kept on spying on them to see if they had any progress or special connection. To their relief, they didn't. As they were following them to the movie theater secretly, Min Ki stopped Minho in the middle of the sidewalk, making the two halt. Taemin began panicking when Min Ki turned, so he shoved Key behind a large bush. They watched as they made conversation with each other.

"Sorry, I thought I heard somebody behind us," Min Ki chuckled.

"Nah it's fine. Shall we go?" Minho offered her his hand. Min Ki stared at it, then bit her lip.

"Um, I need to talk to you first," she gazed at him with a soft expression.

"What about?" Minho arched his eyebrow.

"So first off, I want to say thank you for all of this, I'm having a great time," she began. Minho ushered her to go on. "But there's something you should know."

Key widened his eyes and was about to start screaming if it wasn't for Taemin's hand blocking the passageway for his yells. She isn't really gonna tell him she's the avatar, is she???

"Yes?" he tilted his head at her.

"Erm... how should I put this?" Min Ki scratched the back of her head awkwardly.

"You don't like me like that, do you?" Minho fake smiled, seeing right through her. Min Ki furrowed her eyebrows.

"How did you...?" 

"Trust me. I know people with things like this. You don't like me in the way you want to be boyfriend and girlfriend," he shrugged, but on the inside, he was almost crushed.

Min Ki bit her lip and nodded. "I'm really sorry..." she said guiltily.

Minho shook his head. "Why are you apologizing? You can't help the way you feel. I understand, really."

"Can we still be friends, though?" she looked up at him. Minho took her by the shoulders and pat her head.

"Of course we can. But, I'd still like to finish that date we started," he pointed a finger at her. She giggled and nodded, taking his hand.

Meanwhile in the bush, Key mentally sighed in relief that there was still hope for him and Min Ki. Without warning, Taemin toppled over him.

"Sorry I lost my balance."

"Ow ow ow... Taemin, that's my foot!" 

"Sorry hyung!"

"Ouch... my other foot!"

"Look hyung, this bush isn't so big. Stop complaining, you're gonna get us caught!" Taemin hissed.

"Too late," a female voice fluttered over them. They paused and turned their heads in unison to be greeted by Min Ki who was crossing her arms and tapping her foot impatiently. Minho had on a confused look, trying to figure things out in his head.

"Wait... were you spying on us?" Minho asked. Taemin fake laughed and shrugged.

"Why?!" Min Ki fumed. Key was the first to speak up. He nudged Taemin to make sure he knew to back him up with everything he said. 

"Hehe... so you see... me and Taemin... were walking."

"Walking," Taemin echoed, nodding his head all the while.

"A-And... we saw you two. I-It seemed like you were talking privately," he explained.

"Totally private," Taemin tried avoiding eye contact, but remained confident in how his friend was doing to get them out of the mess he had created.

"So we didn't want to ruin the moment... and hid behind this bush," Key finished.

"Behind this bush," Taemin accented and pointed at the shrub they were currently in the middle of.

Minho looked pretty convinced, while Min Ki knew for sure that they were lying. "Mhm... right. Well then if that's all, we'll just be going," Min Ki stubbornly tugged on Minho's hand and turned her heel, but made sure on the way, twisted her head to Key and glared at him coldly.

"Oh great..." Key buried his face in his palms.

"I-I'm sorry, hyung..." Taemin apologized. "I'm the one who got you in trouble."

Key slightly smiled. "It's fine Taemin. Let's just hope that she won't be as mad the next time I see her."

***

"Kim Kibum," Min Ki marched up to him, knowing that he would be at the park, as he usually was after school. Uh oh...

"Hehe... y-yes?" Key lowered his head.

"So... you two were walking, eh? Where were you going?" she asked.

"T-To the m-movies," he responded.

"What movie did you watch then?" she challenged.

Key hesitated. "T-The pianist..." he stated one of his favorite movies.

"Really? Minho and I watched that one, too... there were only three other people in the theater. Where were you and Taemin?" she said, seeing that he was nervously biting his lip.

"We saw the next showing," he smirked.

"That was the last showing," she smirked back. "I can see right through you. That's all," and with that, she pivoted and was on her way back home when Key unknowingly stopped her.

"Why didn't you accept Minho...?" he awkwardly questioned.

"Let's just say... I have somebody else in mind..." she smiled and strode away, back to the comforts of her home.

=============================================================

Sorry for the sorta short chappie it was the best I could do since I was on writers block for quite a while... Please comment, subscribe, mybe even check out my other stories...?

-dino-nerd525