100 - January 23, 2012

What Is Love To A Machine?
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

I rolled over and bumped my nose into something warm and solid. I cracked open an eye to see Luhan’s small back wrapped in a light shirt and his dirty blonde tousled hair.  I wonder what time it is. I shifted to lie on my back and made a grab for my phone. 2:57 pm. I guess I slept the whole day. I turned my head to Luhan. What’s he still doing sleeping? He never sleeps this late. I thought he was going to the festival with everyone? I roll back to my side and press my nose into his back. He stirs slightly and turns his head. He surprisingly looked wide awake.

 

“Good morning sleepy head.” Luhan turned to face me and smiled softly. “Why aren’t you out with the others?” I asked, grabbing the pillow and resting my head on it. “I didn’t want to leave you by yourself. We can celebrate New Year’s together.”  I had other plans in mind. Once I didn't answer him, he changed the subject.

 

"Kris, how are you feeling today?" I moved closer and pressed my forehead against his chest. "I'm fine." I inhaled deeply and felt a sharp pain stab my side. I sighed and tried to shake it off. "You hungry? I can make you something." I shook my head against his back and turned so that I was facing the ceiling. "I want to go outside today." I felt the bed shift and I could feel Luhan’s gaze burn into the side of my face. "Kris." I shook my head and ran my hand though my hair. "I want to celebrate Chinese New Year's with everyone. Who knows, I might die tomorrow." Luhan stubbornly shook his head. "Don’t talk like that. You'll get better." I run my hand through my hair and sigh. "Who are you lying to? Me or yourself?" Luhan sat up and walked to the door, where he stopped in the doorway. "This discussion is over." I watched him walk out. I pushed myself up and kept myself as still as possible to keep the dizziness at bay. Now, to distract Luhan.

 

 

Luhan was walking back to Kris's house with bags full of groceries. It had been one of the good days. Kris had seemed better, regained some color in his face and had promised Luhan that he would attempt to eat something. Delighted, Luhan ran to the nearby shop and grab fresh ingredients to make a small cozy New Year’s dinner. It was beginning to get dark out and he knew the festival would start soon. He made a mental note to call everyone before their planned departure to the festival. He climbed the stairs, while shifting the groceries into one hand and took out his keys with the other, then unlocked the door. “Kris, I’m back.” Luhan proceeded to take off his shoes and set the bags down. “Kris?” Still no answer. A chill shot down his spine as he broke into a dash to Kris’s bedroom. It was empty. So were the other rooms in the house. “Kris?!”

 

 

I plopped myself down on a nearby bench and hunched over, catching my breath. I had ran, well attempted to run, the twenty minutes it took to get from my house to the main street where the New Year’s festival was being held. I placed my head between my legs, hoping the dizziness, nausea and my pounding heart would relax.

 

“Baekhyun! Baekhyun! Come over here!” My head quickly shot up and looked over my shoulder. In a short distance, I could see Suho, waving his hand above the small crowd of people, trying to signal Baekhyun. I started to move, but froze once I heard their conversation. “Baekhyun, I found Tao, he’s with Sehun. Tell Luhan that we found him finally.” Found him? What do they mean, found him? He was missing? I stood hidden and watched as Baekhyun frantically dialed a number into his phone. “Luhan! We found Tao… What do you mean Kris is missing?! Aish! I thought you were taking care of him?!” So Luhan knew and he didn’t tell me? What the !? “Stop crying Luhan, we’ll find him! I’ll call Chanyeol and the others to help us look. We’ll find him!” Baekhyun looked up at Suho and Suho just nodded then dashed off. I felt a vibration in my back pocket, and I pulled out my phone. It was Suho calling me. I dropped my phone to the floor, and crushed it with my sneaker. Some friends.

 

 

“Kibum, is it really you?” Amber ran her hands over Key’s face with tears in her eyes. “It’s really me Amber.” Key wiped the tears from her eyes and hugged her closely. Jonghyun, who was close by, smiled warmly at the two best friends reuniting. “How did you come back? Jonghyun told m-“ Jonghyun walked up and interrupted. “It’s a long story and a lot of explaining but to make it short, you need to help us.” Amber looked at Jonghyun and then back to Key, who was nodding his head as he placed his hands

Please log in to read the full chapter