The New Girl

If Only High School Made Sense

I think that everyone at this snobby academy knew me by now. Walking to class was equivalent to reading a Wikipedia page on myself.

"That's the new Canadian chick, Cindy. Did you know she hangs with the six"

"Isn't she the new Heir here? She's pretty hot"

"One time she met Lee Minho on a plane, and he told her she was pretty"

"She punched Jiyong in the face; it was daebak"

Good to know everyone thought I was a badass. Had they never seen a foreigner before? It wasn't like I was the only one here, I was even Asian for gods sake.

"I'm so sorry Cindy" a random girl I'd never met got up from her desk, rattled and nervous "This is your seat. I'll move"

"Don't worry about it..." I slowly replied, unsure why she was offering it.  Instead I just went towards where Eli and Min were sitting.

After I turned my back, I heard the girl whisper to her friend, "For a new Heir, she sure is nice"

"Where's Key? We're presenting today" I asked, not really surprised he'd bail out at first chance

Eli shrugged, "I don't know. My brother Kevin has the room beside him, so I texted him. He said he hadn't seen Key this morning, and he usually barges into his room to use the shower"

"We can do it, we did all the work anyways. You're an Heir too, so the teacher won't mind if we mess up" yipped Min, clearly glad that grumpy Key hadn't shown up

"I'm not an Heir. Just the new girl; that's all" I disclaimed not wanting them to treat me differently because of false rumours.

"Aren't you Jiyong's girlfriend though? You're definitely one then" stated Eli pulling out his laptop with the advertisement assignment

My lips wrinkled and my teeth clenched, I robotically began to beep and blip out words

"He said that"

Min nodded as if I was delusional, "Yup, that's why everyone thinks you're an Heir. That's all Jiyong will settle for anyways"

So that was why he had jumped me last night, trying to make sure I played along so he could embarass me well. That boy had a sick mind.

We quickly showed our work to the class, the teacher even giving us praise. I didn't really pay much attention to other people's because I was too focused on how to punish Jiyong next period. I can't believe he thought he could get away with this. When the bell rang, I marched out the door and bolted for my next class.

"Jiyong" I tapped my pen on the desk as he strolled casually in, I growled again at him, "Let's talk"

"How are you jagiya? Don't worry, we are still on for tonight" he cooed, totally ignoring my edgy tone

"Care to explain, I don't know, the fact we are dating? Last time I checked, we mutually hated each other" I hissed

He checked the seats around us, noticing the eager ears of the other students,

"Can we please talk about this at lunch? Not now, please" he begged, flirtaciously waving at the teacher as she entered. Disgusting.

Since I didn't feel like an impromt interview with the class, who were wanting to hear the latest details from this scandal, I muttered an ok and just went on sulking.

Jiyong smirked at my cooperation, "What a good girlfriend you are"

"Never will I ever be that, or want to be" I sneered back, kicking him under the desk.

Thankfully class was all independent work. I brainstormed ideas for the project, which was nature. Tomorrow we'd be going outdoors to paint and take photographs. That means I can hide and run from Jiyong all I need and want to.

"Follow me" Slyly Jiyong slipped his hand around mine, but I slapped it away. He rolled his eyes and scoffed, "Clearly you don't like the talented and attractive type"

"Your personality makes you so ugly though" I spat back through my grinding teeth. Guess lunch wasn't happening today with the six, seeing as I was being lead into a completely different building.

Soon we arrived in an outdoor courtyard. There had been a sign on the door that said it was under construction, but it was just a ploy so Jiyong could have it to himself. I didn't even want to imagine what he did with girls back here.

"Explain" I ordered, pushing him on to a stone bench around a small fountain,

He stood back up and gripped me by the shoulders instead, forcing me to sit down.

"You're my girlfriend, easy. You get every glory with that; people following you, knowing every detail of your personal life, not actually having any real relationships" Jiyong stopped pacing to stare me down further, "You must have known you can't humiliate me and get away with"

I put my hands between us, in fear that he'd lean farther and send me into the bush behind the bench.

"This is your payback? Doesn't it hurt you just as much?"

"Of course not; it's just a game to even the field. I would never love you anyways" he cooed, satisfied with his master plan

Even though I'm much shorter than Jiyong, I stood up in an attempt to intimidate him. I replied, "I can just break up with you in front of everybody"

He smirked, "I thought of that, and lets be honest, who would ever believe you'd dump me?"

My body began to shake, my cage had not been rattled but rather thrown to the ground and kicked. Kwon Jiyong; you are not real royalty, just a cocky hormonal teenage boy with low self esteem. He needed a reality check and I was going to give him one. Game on, I'm sure I can beat him.

"Well oppa, I'm sure I can make the best of our relationship" I commented harshly, strutting out of the courtyard.

Before I made it half way down the hall, Jiyong had caught up in time to latch his hands with mine. This was perfectly timed as a group of girls walked by pointing, giggling, and gasping.

"I sure do love you" he cheered, loud enough so the bystanders could hear

"I sure do hate you" I coughed, unable to unlock my fingers from his.

My stomach began to churn, seeing as I needed lunch still. I dragged Jiyong to the cafeteria and spotted the six sitting in the usual spot.

"No" he gave me a menacing look, "I'm not sitting with those extras"

"I am. Later" I grinned evily, ripping my hand from Jiyong's in his state of shock. Before he could get me back, I already was squished in between Taecyeon and Junho.

"You lied to us, you are an heir! You never mentioned dating that either!" accused Wooyoung, upset and pointing a shaking finger at where Jiyong had been

"I didn't lie to you. Jiyong's twisted revenge for yesterday is making me his girlfriend, so that I am harassed to social death" I disclaimed, not wanting my only friends to turn against me.

 "You're not dating him?" Taecyeon put down his bag of dried mangoes, "Right?"

I shook my head. assuring him I was free from Jiyong's dictatorship of a relationship

"I never would. He has more mood swings than I do"

"Don't worry, we'll make sure you come out of this ok" comforted Khun, offering me a box of chocolate Pocky. Boy do I love Pocky.

Grinning wildly while ripping the box open, I thanked Khun for the snack and the boys for their support. I knew Jiyong wouldn't dare come to our table again, hating the six and me way too much. I didn't get why he hated them so passionately, especially Taecyeon. He was the most genuine and polite of them all. Unfortunately I had to return to the harsh reality of being put to social starvation as the bell rung for third period. It was a day two in the time table, so I had drama first instead of dance. Delaying Onew's yelling and my horrible dancing was a bit of a positive. Again, I was the slowest and last to the leave the table.

"So, you like Pocky noona?" Taecyeon instantly covered his mouth in embarassment as we turned a corner, "Sorry, I shouldn't be calling you noona. It's disrespctful of me"

Not being a die hard for Korean honorifics, I didn't really mind the slip up,

"It's ok Taecyeon. You are one of my only friends here anyways. Wait- when were you born?"

"December 27"

I grinned in victory, "Aye! My birthday is July 19, I'm older! So yes, you can call me noona"

A clan of junior students brushed past us, shooting me lasers out of their eyes and hissing a little too loudly

"Of course. She would have the Cater too along with an Heir"

A thin boy no older than 16 hushed back,

"Bet Jiyong is a little threatened by his competition"

Being an actual sensible person and not a raging uptight Heir, I let those comments slide. I kept up a friendly conversation with Taec all the way to drama.

"Good afternoon class. Today we will be starting to develop your skills as actors, really working on how believable your emotions are. So as a beginning project you will have to portray an emotion I give you with a partner. Please choose wisely"

Immediately I saw friends shoot eachtoher smiles and stares to ensure they weren't the odd person out. I would have given my best friend Emily a silly wink and wave, but she wasn't in Korea with me. Instead I just clicked my shoes together and looked at the ground.

The teacher paced across the room, "Does anyone not have a partner?"

I always would search the room quickly for that one poor kid, but this time I was that kid.

"Ok Taecyeon, looks like you will have t- Wait! Cindy, do you still need a partner?"

I nodded shyly, seeing Taec sending threatening gestures to Khun and Wooyoung for leaving him out. He was right, no one wanted to be stuck with the new kid or I guess scary stuck up girlfriend of the Heir Jiyong.

"Perfect! Now that the partners are sorted out, please choose an emotion from the list on the board and write your names beside it. Only one group per emotion"

The blizard of people clocked my view of the board, not to mention my body trying to get there. Even tall Taecyeon couldn't elbow his way through. I groaned when I saw the last emotion, the only one we could have; Love (romantic). I wasn't exactly an expert in that area, more like a complete bumbling idiot.

I chanted in my head the other things people had,

"Frustration, love (friends), confusion, depression, anger, excitement, nervousness/anxiety, love (familial), hatred, jealousy...."

I chuckled to myself, reading the one that Wooyoung and Khun had bee stuck with

"Lust"

"We can pull it off, can't we?" skeptically said Taecyeon, puffing his cheeks while staring at the word like it would miracuously change

"Oh yes; with my relationship experience of zero" I mumbled

He gave a crooked smie before the teacher further explained some details,

"I'm going to give you all the rest of the class to begin working on a brief skit. There isn't much criteria other than show your emotion. I think that tomorrow at the end of class will be the show and tell. Good luck students"

The academy thought I was in love with Jiyong, the teacher had to believe I was in love with Taecyeon, but I had never considered who I was really falling for if anybody.

Maybe the armor around my heart is starting to rust away.