Breaking The Ice

If Only High School Made Sense

 

"Storming out on boyfriend after the breakup... Never pictured you as that type. More like the silent treatment, or eat food until exploding"

 

I wasn't putting up with this today. The gossip beating down on me from everyone else was enough. I snapped,

 

"Shut it Jiyong. I don't want to have this discussion right now" 

 

Smart guy; he backed off. 

 

I'm glad it was a school day. In class I could avoid most of the students, sitting attentively at my desk like an A+ kid. Those on either side were whispering away to their friends all about me. Most thought I had gotten caught by Jiyong cheating, and that was the reason for Taec and I's separation. People are so dumb these days, or maybe I was just smart for once and hid the relationship well that only a handful knew the truth.

 

"I'll take you out for lunch. Appa gave back my credit card" tempted Jiyong, waving the black and gold plastic in front of my eyes. 

 

He was paying, and I did want to eat until I exploded. How could I resist. 

 

We drove on my cute scooter to a small cafe about ten minutes away from campus. He complained the entire time that we should've taken his car, but I ignored him. His complaining and my ignoring worked well together. 

 

"You own this one too?" I half joked, knowing it was probably a yes

 

He nodded proudly, 

 

"Yes and no. It was a congratulations gift for being accepted as a trainee from Wen, but I don't own it. She built it for me"

 

"I think for getting accepted at the academy I got chicken wings…" I mumbled 

 

As soon as I walked in, it was obvious why he considered it his haven. 

 

It looked like Jiyong had thrown up his personality. I think I every piece of furniture corresponded to some outfit he owned. Like seriously, what he was wearing today matched the counter. Don't even get me started on the menu.

 

"Hey Jiyong. What'll it be today?" yipped the barista 

 

"Hi Yen. I'll have the usual, for two" he handed over his wallet's shining pride, "And a caramel-coffee ppatbingsu for after"

 

My eyes widened automatically as I watched him. The hell Jiyong; there better be gold leaf detail and strawberries from some fancy organic garden for that price. 

 

"So. Now can you tell me all the dirty details?" he asked, folding on to a velvet chair

 

"There's nothing dirty or with details. I said 'let's breakup' and we did" I sighed, playing with whatever was in the upscale over priced salad. 

 

He took a large sip of his designer drink, looking at me through his eyelashes, 

 

"I'm not that ignorant Cindy; come on. If anyone knows about break ups, it's me. They never go over that easily"

 

I growled into my cup, 

 

"Well you can go screw yourself Mr. Relationship Expe-"

 

"You broke it off with Taec to protect him from Heir drama, then cried and ate food for at least four hours after. Maybe you went to some lonely place. And you probably are extremely obsessed with him, and vice versa. Am I right?"

 

Dammit. He got it spot on. 

 

"For your information…" I dropped my voice to a low level, "…it was for only three hours" 

 

"I'm just trying to point out that I'm not as blind as you think I am. Kwon Jiyong is no babo when it comes to knowing people" he smirked, waving around his fork 

 

"Then why are we out to lunch talking if you knew all that" I rhetorically asked 

 

He smiled that genuine way which always freaked me out, 

 

"Isn't that what friends do? Eat food and talk about stuff that won't matter in five years?" 

 

Hm.. Friends. I guess we were friends now. We spent enough time together since I was an Heir in the making. Not that it was all voluntary, but being neutral sure made it easier. 

 

"Yea… I suppose you're right" I admitted, childishly eating the foam from my drink

 

For a little while we just verbally harassed Suzy, getting out our issues now so we could fake calmness later. Plus, she was leaving at the end of semester, and it was no fun to laugh at her cockiness if she wasn't there to give dirty looks back. 

 

"What was the most memorable, worst, best, break up?" I wondered out loud, truly curious 

 

"That's tough. I've had girls punch, kick, and throw drinks at me before. When I rejected Suzy she nearly fainted. I'll have to think about it" he laughed

 

By now we had finished off our lunch and sharing the ppatbingsu (ice cream with lost of goodies under it). I could've gone for an entire one, but half sufficed for my post-breakup sugar requirements. 

 

"Ok. If I had to choose just one instance…." he the ice-cream off his top lip, then bit the lower as he thought, "It would have to be with this girl, Ace. Well, her real name was Kagura but she was some champion volleyball player back in Japan" 

 

He adjusted his sitting position, so he was cross legged on the seat, 

 

"Last year I met her at a party and we fooled around. The next morning we decided that we should date just because we could. So she came over to the academy during lunch, sometimes I went to her's in return, but one day she just showed up and said we should split"

 

"You're kinda sick you know that" I commented, thinking of all the people he probably swooned and spooned

 

"Just listen to the story…. You asked" he retorted

 

I obediently sat back and paid attention again. Unfortunately all the dessert was gone, so Jiyong occupied my whole brain cavity. 

 

"'Anyways, I asked her why she wanted to, considering we had been getting along well. Ace said she was scared that I'd cheat on her. It turns out she had dated someone, and they cheated on and abused her. I tried to assure her that I wouldn't, that I'd take care of her and protect her, but she didn't think I would" 

 

It was obvious this memory haunted him daily, the way he restlessly back his bangs. The only thing I could do for him was be patient and listen. He sighed, 

 

"I remember one part perfectly, 'The cuts and bruises heal, and I'll get stronger. The trust cannot heal, and I'll get weaker'. I couldn't argue with her, so we did break up. That day I promised myself never to hurt a women that way. I still keep in contact with Ace, checking up on her, and still she can't trust. Taking away someone's ability to have a relationship, having a future with another, I'd never be able to live with that"

 

"So then what about now. You were cheated on, yet you still are swimming around in the dating pool" I asked

 

"That's where it's different" He leaned on to his knees, "Wen had eyes only for Taecyeon, no matter how many times they wandered to Jaebeom. Sure, we loved each other but her roots didn't run as deeply with me. It was clear she hadn't moved on, not entirely"

 

"So then why'd you even date her" I said flatly, getting quite confused 

 

He smiled with a light laugh. Why the hell was he doing that for? This was serious talk. 

 

"I'm a very instinctual person, and I just really wanted to date her. Simple"

 

 It was almost time for us to go back. Luckily my dance class had been cancelled last minute because of whatever thing Onew forgot to do, and Jiyong didn't mind skipping his fashion course. He was top of the class there anyways. Leisurely we rode back, no need to rush. 

 

"Miss Canada. I think after all the relationship dirt I gave you, I should get some too" said Jiyong, holding on for dear life as we s through cars

 

"What do you want to know" I replied

 

His grip tightened around my waist as a car cut in front of us. I swore loudly at them, and shook my fist. I don't think they understood English or body language, considering they waved out the window and then drove as slowly as possible. s. 

 

"If Taecyeon had been as Heir…" I zoomed ahead. He gasped, then squeaked "…Would you have dated him"

 

Crap; I had no witty response here. This idea had never entered my brain, because it didn't matter at anytime. Taecyeon was a great guy, it's his personality. Would that change if he was an Heir though? From the stories I knew, it seems likely. 

 

"I don't think I would've even met him if he was an Heir" I sighed while honking my horn at some people running across. 

 

"Well. You met me" he squealed, as I banked a tight turn between the sidewalk and another car

 

I laughed, 

 

"And you still drive me crazy"

 

My ribs cracked again as he held on for the ride. We were finally fighting our way out of the heavy traffic, getting closer to the academy. I felt Jiyong's hot breath on my neck and his hair tickling just behind my ear, 

 

"Good. I was hoping you'd say something like that"

 

I was even going the speed limit. Only some red mini was behind me with an ajhumma and ajhussi were behind me. So I don't know why, but he was still holding on to me. 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

 

Jiyong's Perspective

 

"The charcoal or salmon" I waved the two cardigans in either hand, "What do you think Ri?"

 

Seungri glanced over barely from the video game, clicking away on the controller 

 

"The girly pink one" 

 

I corrected,

 

"Salmon"

 

It had been about a month since our lunch date to the cafe. Well, I liked to think of it as a date. Suzy was leaving this week; finally. 

 

It had taken a week minimum for me to prep myself to ask her out. In the end, I half assed it. Maybe even a quarter. I kind of lied and said it was an Heir tradition for the Prince to take the newbie out before the initiation report. 

 

She was reluctant to agree though, since she really didn't do much outside of schoolwork. Ever since her break up, she didn't talk or even look at Taec and his friends. She had sworn them off, and even her best friend Emily a bit since she's dating Wooyoung. To the rest of the student body, they were officially terrified of her. 

 

"Hey Cindy" I restrained my urge run to greet her, slowing down to a skip, "Ready to eat your face off?"

 

She smirked, the way I used to

 

"You know it GD"

 

I was glad I had chosen the salmon, since she was wearing charcoal herself. The angular structured skirt was something she wouldn't have ever worn in October. The high heeled shoes were a completely different horror story. 

 

"Let's walk. The city's LightNight green project is installed now, and we can see the sites en route" 

 

Without a word, she nodded and came to my side walking at the same pace. 

 

Her fashion choices were fabulous; had nothing against them. It wasn't like I didn't enjoy her ripped sweatpants and stained shirts, but now she looked like an Heir. It was my dream and nightmare simultaneously. Cindy was perfect now. 

 

But did I want perfect? 

 

Quickly we were seated at my restaurant G-Dragon. I had to laugh remembering the first time we came here, when we were "dating". 

 

"Choose anything you'd like" I peeked out from behind the menu, even though I knew it off by heart, "We can hang around and digest as long as needed" 

 

"Bacon it is. Lots of it" she grinned, waving down the waiter 

 

The thing that didn't change were her eating habits. Package says feeds 4? No; that means feeds Cindy. She attacked her dinner while I tried not the smile like an idiot. 

 

"Don't forget to breath between bites" I teased

 

"Hey; it's a special technique" she wiped her face with the napkin, patting it twice on either side "Experts only"

 

Every little twitch, every sentence I wanted to take note of. I needed to figure out her mood before the end of the night. 

 

We talked about the usual things, but I wanted things to move quicker. I wanted to know that she still cared about the things she used to, that she still was that girl who shoved a bowl of rice in my hair. 

 

"If you don't girl talk with even Gina, that what about guy talk. What guys are you anxious to scre-"

 

"God Jiyong; don't say that" she hissed, kicking me under the table. 

 

"Really! I want to know" I asked truthfully

 

She huffed and puffed, saying it didn't matter. Obviously it did though; her entire face was a cherry. 

 

"I'm planning on entering a nunnery; it sounds like pretty good" she mused

 

I snickered, 

 

"Not with how many guys at the school are after you. Well, more like chasing you"

 

"I hate everybody" she flicked her straw mindlessly, her perfectly painted nails nicking the glass, "I don't want them"

 

"Your friend Eli and Hongki seem to be a little giddy. Then there is Joon, Yong Guk, Hyunseung, that other guy who's name I forget. Well, I just never know how to pronounce it. Xia….Ex-ia….Or maybe it's like an 'sh'…."

 

She laughed, 

 

"Just go with Junsu"

 

"So…… You like anybody?" I slurred, doing the trick where I look at her through my eyelashes. 

 

"Hmm… I guess? Maybe? I don't even know anymore" she mumbled

 

"Can I have a name?" I signed the receipt and slipped it in the small leather book, "An initial? A syllable?" 

 

"I just said I don't even know. My feelings these days don't exactly work in black and white. More like the most mixed up gross colour of g-"

 

Scanning the restaurant, I tried to pick up whatever had made mer turn to stone. Her bottom lip had a slight tremble to it, her hands were going to start next. Then I saw them.

 

Taecyeon was being led to a booth along with his guest; Bae Suzy. 

 

"Cindy…." I stood up, as if it'd make them disappear, "Kaja"

 

"Yah… The displays should be lit up by now" she lied, avoiding the real reason 

 

Her eyes were piercing through the exit as she made the escape. I followed up behind her closely, making sure she didn't do something crazy like punch Suzy out. I listened to the click of her shoes, knowing her pace was steady and therefore close to getting us out. 

 

"Jiyong" 

 

I whipped around to see Taecyeon, dumbfounded. Suzy just looked like a frigid ; the usual. 

 

"Taecyeon" I spat, seeing Cindy still motoring ahead

 

"Cindy is-"

 

"An Heir? Different? Changed?" 

 

It was obvious how hard he resisted to defy me, and defend himself. He couldn't though; he knew I was right.

 

"Does sh-"

 

Again I cut him off,

 

"Sorry hyung. She's mine to take care of now"

 

I a heel, half running to catch up to Cindy. I waved over my shoulder to the happy couple, 

 

"Don't make me kick you out of my own restaurant" 

 

Swiftly I grabbed Cindy's hand, about to step into the street. I got a 'WTF' look, but she didn't throw it away. In return I have her the 'just go with it' smile, to which she did. For a city block at least. 

 

"No"

 

I turned towards her, standing in front of the first of the art instalments, 

 

"No what?…."

 

She avoided my intentional eye contact, muttering

 

"I don't want anyone" 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

 

Is this what it felt like, to be in love? To feel the sting from seeing him happy being with someone else? Knowing that you used to be that person, and would do anything to be them again?

 

For weeks I submerged myself in the cunning world of the school's Heir's, pushing everything away. To make myself someone who was strong, was worthwhile for someone to protect. So that he'd come back to me, and we could look after each other like we promised.  

 

Maybe he still would. But I don't know if I can anymore, not after seeing him with her. Seeing her smile at hime, seeing him smile back.

 

"I'm sorry Cindy…. I-"

 

"Don't be sorry. I did tell him to find someone else, not to think of me and be miserable." I stated coldly, staring at the flashing display. 

 

He leaned sideways, his lips brushing my ear

 

"Then you should too" 

 

"Who says I haven't. I'm an Heir, I can compartmentalize my feelings" I defended, stepping away from Jiyong. 

 

"You're reaction back there. That's what" He led me away, towards the park that had hosted the film festival, "And yes, Heirs are good at shoving away the things they don't want to feel, but they do come springing back. It hurts when they do too"

 

I slumped onto a park bench eventually, staring at the fountain's soft glow as the water cascaded down. In the night's warm air, I sat reserved beside Jiyong. 

 

A little warp in my vision turned into a full on droplet in my eye. It was Taecyeon; he had taken me here once. It was only for maybe twenty minutes, but it was enough for me to remember. He had brought me food, to which a pigeon stole it from me and we never came back. 

 

"How do you feel, when you break up with someone" I asked quietly 

 

Finally with something coming out of my mouth, he turned his head slowly. He shrugged, 

 

"That if it was fated, it would have worked out"

 

"You believe in that type of thing?" I skeptically questioned, seeing him as a tough love type of guy

 

"I met someone and I changed my mind. So yea; I do have faith in fate" he sighed, slipping one of his many rings on and off

 

In return I toyed with my necklace while speaking, 

 

"What about that person made you change your mind?" 

 

A meek smile slithered on to his face, staying in a wonky shape making it unclear how he felt. He bit his lip while focusing on our feet, 

 

"She made take out that drawers of feelings I'd pushed away for a long time. I fell in love with that"

 

"Love is a strong wo-"

 

"That's exactly why I use it. I believe in destiny" he interrupted

 

I stood up in my rickety shoes, think of the irony behind Jiyong saying to move on while he still loved Wen dearly. Playing along with the idea of him loving a living real girl now was easier. Plus, it humoured my ever failing relationships, 

 

"Then go find her, don't be here with me. The best way to tell someone how you feel is before someone else does. Don't end up like me" 

 

Jiyong shook his head, 

 

"Someone else already did"

 

Together we walked back to the academy. He walked me back to the dorm since it was dark outside, and then went his own way. It was just like any other time we had hung out, but it somehow felt different. Maybe it was because of seeing Taecyeon, seeing how he looked at Jiyong and I. At me. 

 

"Suzy leaves soon though. Then I'm officially in charge" his tone got brighter, "I'll make sure the Heirs stay in line"

 

I rolled my eyes and laughed, 

 

"You are the the breaker of all things; rules, phones, hearts. We'll see" 

 

He wince slightly at the last item on the list, 

 

"I promise. You'll be happy with my decisions as Prince"

 

Then he left, not even looking over his shoulder. 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

 

Jiyong's Perspective

 

I was going to do something finally, really, I was. The salmon cardigan, the restaurant; it was all perfect. I even had invested on some serious jewellery for the occasion. 

 

After practicing on Seungri, I was ready to say,

 

"I've fallen stupidly in love with you. Give me a chance to really be your boyfriend?"

 

Then Taecyeon just stole that confidence away, that certainty she wouldn't reject me. The way her face froze to a block of ice, how she lost all her words; she still had the part of her that loved him and not me. 

 

But I had my belief in fate, and if it was meant to be, it would work out. 

 

The Prince always got the girl in the end, right?