Wake Up Call

If Only High School Made Sense

My head was pounding when I woke up the morning after. Not to mention my ears were ringing, but I was used to it thanks to Vietnamese kareoke parties. I kept my eyes shut because I knew if I opened them, Gina would know I was awake. That would mean talking about what happened last night.

What the actual hell did go down last night? Taecyeon confessed his crush on me and I guess I did too. Did this make us a couple? Then what about Yunho and Jiyong? I don't even know why I still considered Jiyong under the potential catergory; I hated him. Maybe it was one of those backwards cases where I hate him so much, it sometimes turned into a genuine caring.

The rest of the night he didn't say a thing to me, so I guess things were looking up. I just danced and screamed away with my six favourite people. Suzy wasn't looking too happy to see her date with me, but she didn't exactly come running over. Yunho joined me again, so it was just her prejudice and snobbiness in the way. Taecyeon was considerate about things being his usual dorky self, letting Yunho be my dance partner.

That evening really was no bid deal. The promise I made was.

"Eh you kid. I'm going out for a late lunch with Onew" Ginas tiny steps began heading for the door, "And Onew wanted me to remind you about the meeting. See you later."

Even though I was awake, I just grunted out some noises that slightly resembled the word yes.

After ten minutes of convincing myself to get up. I opened my eyes to see it was already 2:00 pm. My stomach was growling anyways, so I got up to eat.

With my nice and fluffy blanket, I slumped to the cafeteria. To my relief only a few students were dotted around the room, most concentrated on their food while doing last minute school work.  As usual I headed for my lone corner table after grabbing a plate of sushi and Pocky.

"Could you move your books please?" I yawned, curious who was sitting at the table. No one ever dared come within a metre radius of us during meal times.

"Of course, sorry about tha- W-wen?" the guy dropped the spaghetti that had been wrapped aropund his chopsticks, "Impossible. You just look a lot like a girl I knew..."

Another fan boy of Jiyong and Taecyeon's infamous ex-girlfriend.

"No; definitely not her. I'm Cindy, just came this year. Who are you? What brings you over to my misery corner?" I asked lazily, feeling lonely without one of the six.

"I think it was my misery corner first" laughed the guy. He picked up his once dropped pasta off the plate, "I'm Jaebeom, but you can call me Jay."

I would like to say I almost fell on to the ground, but in reality I fell hard and loud. My tailbone definitely was bruised.

"No way!" I crawled back up with my blanket, getting stares from students, "As in almost-Prince Jaebeom? Not judging you or anything, but you are him right? "

"That's me; didn't know they educated you new Heirs so quickly. Congratulations and good luck by the way, Suzy told me" he replied

I scrunched up my face into the most intimidating and questioning look,

"Why are you here then?

"To see Wen. Every few months I pay my respects. Not many do, since Jiyong put it in the middle of the maze." explained Jay.

I leaned over the table, "I do know about your whole mission, even though its kind of taboo to talk about"

His gaze dropped down to the table ashamed or embarassed, or maybe secretly proud of what he'd done.

"Believe it or not, those months I spent with her were some of the best. No wonder Taecyeon was dating her. As much as I tried to keep my real feelings out of it, I couldn't help but become attatched, I turned down becoming Prince because I felt so guilty. Wen really had seemed like my girlfriend and bestfriend"

My breath got stuck in my lungs, coughing out

"Hold up; you voluntarily, with your own will, with no torture, said no thanks to being Prince?"

He shrugged, "Like I said; believe it or not. Most choose not to"  

Jay stretched out his arms on the table, showing off his defined muscles. Definitely was the dance Heir.

"So then who's your boyfriend? The past few hours I've been sneaking around, I've heard multiple different answers" asked Jay, giving me a skeptical look.

"Do enlighten me...." I smirked, wondering what the average student percieved of all this drama

"Taecyeon and Yunho were the most popular answers. Some girls said Joon" his eyes lit up with another answer, "Oh! And Jiyong"

My blood began to boil at the very name,

"Who said that one" I muttered through gritted teeth

"I heard it from Sisi, you know, the rookie singer from eMpire" casually answered Jay

Jiyong's date, of all people....

Jay picked up on my intrigue, and went into some detail

"I came here late last night, and I ran into Xi- sorry, Sisi. Xiaxue's her real name. Anyways, I just was recruited for training so I had met her a few times. She was telling me how Jiyong was absolutely in love with this girl named Cindy, he wouldn't stop talking about her. How she dressed, laughed, talked, walked, and even ate.

Dammit, I secretly was flattered by that. Why do you have such a hold on me and my stupid feelings Jiyong.

"What do you think then, who has the hots for me" I blandly mumbled, frustrated with myself.

He thought, tapping his fingers on the table. After a minute or so, he came to a conclusion

"If he went about the task any way I did, all those hand holds, kisses, and dates really did mean something"

"Really? Even if he is a complete ?" I mumbled, knowing Jay perfectly understood my English curse words. 

He laughed, then turned serious

"Think about it; I still drop by to see someone who "didn't mean anything" to me. She's not even alive."

"But it's Jiyong" I sighed, pushing away the idea that we could ever get along

Jay got up from the table, "I should get going before Khun comes for his fourth Starbucks of the day. I try to be pretty invisble when I visit. Bye Cindy, nice to meet you"

I stood up quickly, almost falling again

"So, he wants me? For real this time? Again?" 

He his heels and grinned, giving me one last comment

"Who said he ever stopped"

My blanket piled at my feet as my mind froze to a stand still. The monster actually didn't hate me? Maybe even cared, just a bit? 

I shuffled back to my room for a quick nap before the meeting. I forced myself to finish my painting though; it was due tomorrow anyways. 

The problem was I couldn't fall asleep; my mind was going at 120 km/h. I was thinking about Taecyeon, Jiyong, Jay, Yunho, Key, Onew, Emily, Gina.... What was going to happen to us? To me? Somewhere during my impossible scenario session, I drifted off. My dreams were just as hectic and cluttered. 

"Cindy Ha; its Lee Chaerin" the pounding wasn't in my head, but on the door, "It's 8:01 pm, kaja ppali"

The clock  beside me was an hour behind, so I was ten times more frazzled than usual. I tossed the blankets off and rushed to the door, 

"Sorry, I was sleeping" I slipped on my sneakers, "I'm good to go"

I could tell by her expression she wasn't impressed, especially with my outfit. The hand-me-down sweater and track pants didn't exactly say "Heir". 

CL led the way through the halls. It was pretty deserted, but I guess it would be since tomorrow was a school day. We didn't talk; I was too intimidated. Even the way she winged her eyeliner really made me cautious, she looked like she could eat me in one bite with that look. 

"So; what's with the change of mind" CL asked, expertly weaving through the random and small connecting hallways

I turned a tight corner, "More so a change of heart" 

She raised a perfectly filled in eyebrow and the corner of her cherry red lips, 

"Chincha? Towards who?"

"I want to protect the people I care about, share the burden" I replied, not wanting to mention Taecyeon. I was too afraid they'd do something to him if they found out my real feelings. 

"You'll fit in then. That's what Heir's do" Chaerin slid down a banister, all the way down two flights of stairs, "Share the burden I mean" 

I shook my head. Share the burden; sure. Being a leading force of social demoliation must be difficult. I'm positive Jiyong would do all of that anyways. 

We arrived at the meeting room, which really was just a normal common room. Of course, it had been decked out to the the full exent, with everything they could afford. The lavish furniture looked like it belonged to Versailles Palace. 

"Sit" CL nodded towards an empty chair, "We just made it"

That's when I heard the recognizable jingle of Jiyong and his many accesories. For some reason I always could recognize it. 

"Wow; we're all on time. Even Suzy" snickered Jiyong, plopping down into the most ornate of the seats. It practically was a throne; how fitting. 

"Don't think that just because you're Prince, I can't kick your " hissed Suzy, clinging on to Key's arm. Good thing Emily wasn't here. 

I awkwardly squirmed around trying to become comfortable. For a few minutes we all watch Jiyong and Suzy go full out, yelling and threatening each other. 

"You two; that's enough. If I wanted to here Suzy complain this much, I'd ask her out" said Onew, getting a high five from Taemin. 

Suzy gasped, "Hey! Gina is-"

"Don't even start about my girlfriend" warned Onew with a finger wave and smirk. 

Jiyong groaned, "Shut up, seriosly Suzy. We're done with your dramas. Taecyeon doesn't want you, and even though Key broke up with Emily he doesn't either so cut it out. Now; down to business" 

At first I was supressing my snorts at him telling off Suzy, but then stopped when he mentioned a single Key. Him and Emily weren't together anymore? How'd I not know; I had seen her yesterday happy and taken at the dance. While I was thinking away, the Heir meeting went on in the background. I don't even think they noticed me not paying attention. 

"We can't give away any more of the past initiations, Cindy's right th- She's not even listening" said Onew, tossing a piece of fried chicken at me. Where did he get that stuff? He needs help with his addiction...

"The answer's 52..." I slurred, having partially fallen asleep. 

Victoria laughed, "Finally, an Heir with a sense of humour who isn't so uptight. You chose well Prince"

"We'll see if she gets through initiation first" commented Seunghyun

An initation; really? Was this a sorority or something?

"All of us have done it; it's tradition" said CL, blowing her blond bangs off her forehead

I nodded, "Then what is it"

"We choose a student you have to transform into an Heir. Then they join us too if you succeed" Jiyong swung his legs over the side "We're making it easy on you. Gina Choi, your roomate. Onew is dying to have his lover as an Heir anyways" 

Onew beamed at the idea. Lord was he obssessed with her; can't wait to here him gossip about it during dance. I'm sure he wouldn't teach a single thing. 

"Is there a due date kid?" I asked blandly, trying to seem casual

"Don't be so informal with me!" Jiyong pointed an accusing finger at me, "And yea, by the end of this semester"

I still don't get how Sisi and Jay think that this guy could have something for me. Just listen to him; he hates me. 

"Wait; what happened to the other girl, Emily" asked Minho

Jiyong smirked, "Well, Key begged me not to make his ex an Heir"

"She was going to leave me! I had to beat her to the punch!" defended Key, pushing Suzy off of him. My giggles resurfaced as she nearly wiped out completely. 

"Oppa; she danced once with that other guy. And he asked her" said an unimpressed Victoria while checking her phone

Key whined, "Whatever; Wooyoung was putting the moves on her with those chubby cheeks. She was acting different anyways; so I called it off"

"You're still in love with her, aren't you?" mockingly sang Jonghyun

He just gave him a look of disgust, no clever comeback apparent. He probably just was embarassed that he couldn't trick anyone into thinking he didn't like Emily. If he felt bad, can't imagine what Emily felt like.

"Is this all you guys do? Argue over who's dating who?" I slid off my chair and yawned, already feeling socially drained of any intellectual banter, "If yes, I'm peacing out. There's a new chapter of Soul Eater and I want to read it"

Even though my eyes were almost half shut, I could see the expressions of the Heirs. For the most part, they were just shooting eachother glances and whispering to the person beside them. Probably about how I took this meeting so lightly. It's true; I didn't really believe in being Heir to take over the school, I was protecting Taecyeon.

"Just remember; end of symester" barked Jiyong, still layed out on his throne.

"No one has ever failed initiation" Seunghyun grabbed a bottle of water off a side table, "And only one person has even come close"

"And who was that..." I mumbled, just wanting to leave the underground of unproductivity.

"Taecyeon. His girlfriend practically had to be tied down to be an Heir, but we wanted her" shrugged CL, flicking her eyes between Jiyong and I

"Cool story" I leaned on the door to open it, "Bye"

Inside I acutally was freaking out,. What the hell was I dealing with? These Heir's are killing machines, ripping people and their lives to shreds.

I began to hyperventi;lte, not from just the -storm in my mind, but the stairs I was climbing. No wonder no one ever came down here, it was too much work getting back up.

"Hi"

"Oh, hey Taec" I bent over, supporting myself on my knees as I caught my breath after the second flight, "Give me a moment thanks"

Over top of my heavy breathing, I still could hear him giggling

"First Heir meeting?" he asked, opening the door that lead towards the cafeteria for me

I went through, "Yes; and a decent workout after"

We walked back quietly, with just a few door clicks of the last students going to bed and the blinking lights of WiFi routers. Eventually Taecyeon got the nerve to speak again, since I was too tired and socially inept.

"So, Cindy. The other night at Arts Banquet. Were you being serious?"

I kept my gaze straight ahead at a vending machine,

"I'm always serious when it comes to promises"

My fingers were twitching as I felt Taecyeon's occasionally brush on them, After one awkward long finger graze, he full on held it. I felt like I was going to go into cardiac arrest. I know; I'm lame. The Heir's probably got more action during the meeting then I did the entire year.

"Let me try again" nervously Taecyeon cleared his throat and adjusted his glasses, "I-I really liike you. Really"

I smiled, "Thanks"

I'm sure he was waiting for me to give a better answer than that, so I gave in

"And I really like you too"

I felt his once super tense grip loosen slightly as he relaxed,

"Oh good: I was getting worried for a bit" he sighed with a half hearted chuckle

"You shouldn't be; I'm not going to dissappear on you" I assured

Now up the killer stairs, through some small halls to the cafeteria, and the boys dorm; I finally was back at my room.

"This is my stop" I let go of his hand and opened the door with my key card, "Good night. Taec care. See what I did there?"

Surprisingly, he laughed at my lame pun

"Bye Cindy. See you tomorrow"

He lightly pecked me on the forehead before turning away back towards the boy's dorms. He called over his shoulder,

"You're exactly what the Heir's need most Cindy. Someone who knows how to love"