Taking One For The Team

If Only High School Made Sense

Kissing Taecyeon was like driving; I had no idea what the hell I was doing 

"S-Sorry.... " I apologized, feeling the jealousy for Jiyong creeping in. 

He winced, "Don't need to say that" 

"So you don't mind when girls randomly kiss you?" I mused, still embarassed

"Not really, if it's someone I really like" Taecyeon paced back and forth towards the archway down the stairs, "Do you want to go down to the hall for the dance?"

I was still thinking about the whole part where he didn't mind me kssing him. I nodded lamely before follwoing him down the stairs. 

As soon as we crept down from the balcony, I got the dirtiest look from Suzy who was on the dance floor with Yunh- Wait! He was my date! 

"Forgot about this...." Taecyeon grabbed my hand and twirled on around to the orchestra's music, "I was suppose to dance with Suzy as the opening, along with the other Heirs" 

"Oops" I muttered, still feeling the burn from the lasers Suzy was shooting out of her eyes. 

Surprisingly, I stumbled my way through the entire piece, not kicking Taec once. He was a natural dancer, not even having to try. We were one of the last -if not the last- Heir couple to join the opening dance, so we danced for easily less than a minute. 

"Yunho looks a little jealous" whispered Taecyeon as we spun past Suzy and him hopping along

I looked at the couple, "Well, so does the Ice Princess"

"But Yunho obviously likes you. Suzy just wants to get into Jiyong's head by using me" he said, nodding in the direction of Jiyong and his hallyu star partner. 

"So, then who are you jealous of?" I trotted along the middle of the floor, not missing a beat, "Who do you really care about?"

We paused our little conversation to bow to the students, before they were free to join us for the next traditional ballroom style dance. 

Taecyeon cleared his throat loudly, placing his hand in my back ready to dance. He smiled nervously, while wiping his forehead with the back of his hand. I loved his big smile, it was comforting to see how I made smeone feel, and he couldn't hide it 

"I really want to proctect and take care of y-"

"Can I borrow her?" Jiyong stood beside Taecyeon tapping his shoulder, "I'd like to have a word" 

My hands began to shake as I clenched them in fists at my side. How did he have the nerve, the audacity, to approach me after using me. He had his title, he was Prince, could he not stop causing me such jealously and angst? It really bugged me how he said "borrow" like I was an object. I'm a person with feelings believe it or not Jiyong, unlike you. What did I ever see in him. 

"No, you can't" I hissed as Taecyeon put himself between Jiyong and I. 

Taec pushed me behind himself like a reverse back hug, "I think that it's best you leave now. We already had our little fight last week in the maze"

"Woah, tough guy. Let me talk to my girlfriend" Jiyong tried to pull me out frm behind, "Some privacy please?"

"Shut up, I was just your pawn to manipulate. You aren't caring, honest, or understanding like a boyfriend should be" I spat, slapping him away before Taecyeon could intervene again, holding me with his left arm while using his other to keep some distance with Jiyong. My head got a little disoriented being this close with him. 

"I was your boyfriend though, so I deserve some talk" cooed Jiyong, still daring to play it off non-chalantly. 

I rolled my eyes, still with Taec's arm around me since I needed some self control in public. Jiyong could keep his cool well though, 

"Taecyeon was more so a boyfriend than you!" 

The arm around me at first loosened, but the immediately pulled me even closer than before. I made eye contact with Taecyeon, for a moment feeling as if Jiyong never had screwed up my life. It was just him and I. 

I threw myself back into reality, calling the shots

"Let's end this. I'll be back in a little Taec" 

With this direction, I dragged Jiyong out of the ballroom floor outskirts and into a random room. I think it was just a common area for the east residence, a vending machine and a few couches being the only things there. 

"I'm just going to tell you a few facts and set the record straight" my heels clicked authoritatively as I paced around him seated on a chair, "I absolutely hate you, I never did love you, and I will not be even looking at you after tonight"

He just blinked his eyes a few times as if I'd let him know the daily cafeteria special; he didn't care. 

"You know, the only reason Taecyeon wants you is to get back at me" announced Jiyong

I gave him a ridiculous look of pity, "Says the boy who lied to me for over a month. Taecyeon is-"

"Totally into you just because I am" 

Jiyong didn't even smirk after saying that; he was completely serious.

"Still trying to trick me? You're exactly what I thought you were" I stopped pacing at the door and kicked it open, "an Heir-head"

He jolted up, "I told you not to call me that"

With my head held high, not regretting leaving him, I yelled over my shoulder

"For your thinking pleasure; I actually could tolerate you. Not anymore."

I pictured his confused expression with his pouted lower lip, all the way back to Taecyeon.

"Are you okay?" Taecyeon mouthed, seeing as the dance had fully commenced to its full teenage glory; blaring music and sweaty people

I nodded urgently, seeing the dancer boys approaching. The students parted as all five of them pushed through the crowd, headed for Taecyeon. 

"Taec...." Onew stopped dead in his tracks infront of him, "Y-you're here stil..."

He shrugged back, "Yea, where would I have go-"

Taecyeon was cut off by lack of breath as Onew squeezed him in a tight hug. 

"So glad you're becoming an Heir again. A Prince for once made a good decision" beamed Onew along with Jonghyun. 

After some awkward back patting, Taecyeon registered what he had said, 

"W-what?"

Taemin stepped in, "Jiyong needed to decide on the new Heir, since Cindy didn't want to"

"He can't do that" I crisply stated, for once defending him instead of the reverse 

"It's Kwon Jiyong, G-Dragon, the Price" Key leaned forward, his nose almost touching mine, "He can do whatever he wants"

I laughed mockingly, "Doesn't he do that already?"

"Well, I'm turning his order down" Taecyeon looked into the eyes of all five boys, "I've already experienced enough of the Heir lifestyle"

"You do realize that if you don't rejoin, he'll take Cindy. She's next for the position regardless" sneered Key, pressuring his friend to rejoin. 

Taecyeon gulped, "You're lying" 

Being fake girlfriend to Jiyong had taught me he doesn't mess around when it comes to the business of populairt and running the school. 

"Obviously not" the five boys shifted as Minho came to the front line beside Onew, "It's you, or Cindy. You know what he is capable of, especially since Princess doesn't leave yet"

"Sorry Taecyeon. You know what it's like, we're just following directions" muttered Onew sadly, clearly being once close with him. 

My eyes shifted between them all, seeing how everyone was reacting. Taecyeon's eyes were stone, I couldn't see what he was thinking. 

The song that had been playing died down, as if connected to our conversation. The next one began to start up as Taecyeon began to speak, his eyes focused on Onew's. 

"I'll do i-"

"No! No!" I jumped infront of Taecyeon like there was actually a physical thing to protect hom from, "I-I'll do it. Not him, please. I'll be Heir"

Key grinned cunningly, 

"Perfect; that's exaclty what we wanted to hear" 

That moment was the signature on my contract to the Heirs. I wasn't excaping this one, especially because it was Jiyong. He was going to torment me even more, I was sure of it. 

"Cindy, don't. Let me take the spot" insisted Taecyeon getting out of his nervous daze

I shook my head, "I can't back down. Plus, you've already been an Heir, let me take this one" 

We shared a serious stare, trying to figure out what the other was really feeling. We both felt obligated to take the bullet,  but I beat him to it. 

"Well, see you tomorrow night then. There's a meeting, CL will come get you" Key waved back the others, "Don't be late. Keeping Jiyong waiting is never a good thing"

With tthose clear instructions, the Heirs left. Onew mouthed back "mianhe" to Taecyeon. I felt horrible. 

"Their going to try and change you, I know it"  muttered Taecyeon, no one we knew around us

"Who said I'm going to let them" I confidently said back trying to cheer him up. I was a wreck on the inside though, I'd signed my soul away. 

"Up on the balcony, I wanted to tell you something when you asked who I really cared about" he put his mouth up to my ear, after checking left and right for anyone who was listening, "You're the one I want to take care of"

My body went stiff, I lost all my knowledge of the Enlish language unable to speak. Someone had fallen for me? Undesirable, unpopular me?

"I-I thought you didn't...." I stuttered, my few words just fading out 

"No. I just was dumb, trying to be casual about it. So that;s why I'm telling you now, before you're an Heir" said Taec, holding me by the shoulders

Ideas ticked through my mind, realizing how serious of a decision I had made, in such a short time. I did it to protect him though, my friend. Maybe even more now that he admitted his feelings. 

"Make me a promise" I stuck out my pinky finger in fornt of his face, "No matter who we are or how we feel, we'll meet back on the balcony on the last day"

"I'm sorry I didn't have the guts to tell you earlier. I could've saved you from Jiyong" apologized Taec

Forcefully I said back,  "Just promise me already", my eyes beginning to get wet with tears. 

He pushed my hand back, and kissed me hard. 

"I promise. The last day" 

Our lips parted after he had mumbled that promise into my mouth. Why did I feel like neither of us could keep it?