O Canada

If Only High School Made Sense

After the outting with Jiyong, I spent the weekend rebuilding my self esteem. That boy was so obnoxious, arrogant, and ignorant, I was surprise he could stand with that big heavy ego. 

"Hey, uh, Cindy?" Gina stuck her head out from behind her laptop, "I think someone wants your attention"

I sighed, "Awesome; love those two", as Key and Onew strolled towards us in the library. That was the whole point of coming here, to avoid Heirs.

"Short-stack" Key greeted

"Dizzy Feet" snickered Onew, getting an approving glance from his partner in crime. That nickname unfortunately I had to admit was applicable. I still was not very good, even with Yunho helping me almost everyday after regular classes.

They sat down at the table and cleared off my jacket on to one of the extra chairs. Who knows, maybe we were saving them for friends. It was obivous we weren't though, considering I got us labeled as the lone duo. Awkward

"How's Jiyongie?" cooed Key in a cutesy high pitched voice before getting hushed by working students

"Fine. Just delightful" I said through clenched teeth, still trying to read manga online despite the distractions. Rebelling against Jiyong's idea is what he expected and wanted, and I wasn't doing that. My acting hopefully was good enough to please most.

Onew peeked on to my screen and laughed,

"You read this girly stuff? This where you get your dating tips?"

"Bokura ga Ita isn't a girly frilly story. It's full of tragedy and life lessons. It's some serious stuff kid" I mumbled back, embarassed that he caught me rereading it. I just couldn't get enough of the Yano and Takehashi drama romance.

He raised an eyebrow, "So you're serious about our boy GD?"

Calmy I closed my laptop, sliding it into the centre of the table. Gina was working away at an essay while listening to some music. 

"It's highschool Onew. Most think dating for a month is serious."

"Do you love him then?" chirped Key eagerly while still remaining quiet

I grimaced, "Love is a very strong word, and is reserved strictly for bacon and other sorts of food I like"

It was quiet for a split second, but then Onew jumped back in

"Does that mean you want a piece of Jiyong's meat?"

I would have flipped the table if I had the strength.

"ert" I hissed, throwing a book at him. It sliced though the air smoothly and hit him in the chest.

Unfortunately, the whole livbrary decided to pay attention. Even concentrated Gina looked up at the sound of the book hitting Onew.

Key was actually laughing, pointing and trying to back all his loud squeaks. The students took this as a sign to return to work, one if their precious idols was safe.

"Your boyfriend has his hands full" Onew rubbed the spot the book had hit, "That's for sure"

"Is there a particular reason you came by, or did you two just want to disturb like always?" I asked grudgingly, just wanting to go back and read the breakup scene already.

Flirtaciously Key spread his hands on the table,

"Just taking care of you. Making sure Jiyong and yo-"

"Don't act dumber than usual around me. I know, that you know" I interupted. They were Jiyong's closest friends, of course they'd be in on his scheme.

They recoiled slightly, obviously a bit shaken. Onew waved Key closer to whisper something in his ear. It calmed his frantic look down with some assuring nods.

"Then don't act like you haven't developed a real thing for Jiyong" casually said Onew

I rolled my eyes, "I'm just as good at this game of pretending as he is"

"Let me know when when it stops being a game then, ok?" he got up from his seat and pushed in the chair, "To lunch Key"

Together they left, whispering between each other and shooting me looks over their shoulders. Those two seemed oddly interested in Jiyong and I, it wasn't any type of drama they should be interested in though. Just two idiots trying to out fake each other.

"Seems they were a little crazy, or jealous" stated Gina, tapping her pen before jotting down some more of her outline

Already I was submerged back into my pretend romance online, totally out of it

"What?..."

"Sometimes I wonder how you nabbed that boyfriend of yours when you can't see what's in front of you" sighed Gina

My eyes turned to slits, "Remember we aren't actually together"

"I know, I know. Did you not notice them though? Key was so nervous  and Onew was way too overconfident trying to impress you"

"That's nothing new. So what if Key was a little jumpy and Onew was extra cocky. "  I shrugged

"Well, I think Jiyong and Taecyeon have some competition" Gina smiled, with a cute wink. When she put things like that, I guess I kind of was attracted to them at the mention they might like me.

For another hour, we relaxed now free of disruptions. I got used to random people staring at me thanks to Jiyong, so it was no big deal ignoring them. Yano and Takehashi were almost back together when someone knocked on the table for our attention. I sensed someone familiar, and automatically assumed the worse out of habit

"I have this day off from my double life Jiyong"

That's when I heard the voice; it wasn't him.

"I come all the way from our tiny Canadian city for that snippy tone Cyndaquils?"

Emily slid me over a bag of jalapeno chips and a cheesestring. I didn't even notice, too astounded by the sight of her here at the academy. She sure is a good friend if she can tear my eyes away from those two types of snacks. I stared in complete confusion and shock at her. Why was she here? 

"You.. Canada... Frodo..." I stuttered out while squeezing her tightly. Frodo was her dog, and probably the main reason she didn't want to study abroad with me. 

She waved to Gina, who didn't know who she was, then helped herself to my diet soda, 

"He's being taken care of by my parents, it's not a huge deal. I miss him though. So, you want to eat?"

Emily clearly didn't get how someone turning up from across the globe could be surprising. 

"Why? When? What? How? Who?" I yipped, tackling her for a hug again 

"I convinced my parents, I arrived here this morning, the animation program looks great, by a double digit long plane ride, and of course me Emily D" she smiled at herself, "That rhymed" 

I rolled my eyes at her goofiness, "Let me introduce you to my roomate"

Gina noticed me pointing at her, and took out her earbuds. Emily and her politely greeted each other, but quickly dropped the formalities as Gina yammered on about the social structure like on my first day. 

"Cindy is really popular here, you should see her boyfrien-"

I pushed Gina's shoulder. Emily would tease me every waking hour if she found out. In our old school, out of the trio I was apart of neither Emily or I really got the guys. Most girls there got more action in a day than we ever had. 

"She likes him?" asked Emily, rolling her tongue saying Happy's catch phrase

"Hold up; can we go into detail later? It's complicated, and not what you're thinking" I whispered, seeing some students watching us. I don't get people's fascination here with white people, this is an internationally recognized school after all. 

Emily shrugged, "Well I was thinking that you got a harem of men like you always pretended" 

"She does! There is Jiyong, Taecyeon, Onew, Key...." listed Gina, using her fingers to keep track. That's embatassing, and kind of flattering, but mostly embarassing. 

"Four for you Glen Coco! You go Glen Coco! Way to get around" chuckled Emily, probably out of disbelief that I actually talked to any guy here

"You know I love a good Mean Girls reference, but later" I swept my things into my book back, "Let's go"

The obnoxious popular guy, the dorky guy friend, and now the equally weird gal pal. My school year was becoming a cliche teen movie.