Which One

If Only High School Made Sense

"Oppa, would you please go to the banquet with me?"

"N-No thanks, I'm not interested" stuttered Yunho as he stuffed his backpack with some sweatpants 

For the past month, the only thing any one talked about was the Arts Banquet. The clothes, the decor, the music, the dates; everything. Everyone assumed I was going with Jiyong, since I still am on relationship parole, so I sadly was not approached by any guy. Not like they would have anyways. 

All the Heirs were followed by mobs of students, wanting their shot to ask them to be their date. Even Jiyong had his fangirls. I hate to admit it, but I felt jealousy when I thought of him accepting one of the other girls' offers. Onew was going with Gina according to his constant bragging during dance class and Key apparently asked Emily. Well, that's what the rumours were saying. Emily wasn't telling me anything about her thing with Key ever since the restaurant run in. 

Once again; single me. Whoopie. 

Eli and Min, Hongki and Victoria.... At least I still have my six. 

There was only one week until the grand event which officially welcomed everyone. It was all student run, making it both extremely good yet bad at the same time. My dance partner Yunho was also dateless, but not for the same reasons. 

"That's like, the fifth girl, just today" I wiped the sweat off my forehead and flapped my shirt for a breeze, "What's holding you back?"

"It's embarassing kind of" blushed Yunho

I laughed, "You know I'm a weirdo, you've seen me get freaky in dance. I can take it" 

Yunho checked both directions in the hallway, breathing out deeply

"I''ve never kissed a girl"

I blinked a few times, "Yes; and?...."

"That was it" Yunho muttered

"I've never kissed a guy for real either" I admitted, just having Taecyeon kiss me during drama for our skit once. 

 He squinted at me like I was delusional

"You are still dating the Diva; correct? Have you any idea of his reputation with women?"

I just said yes, having a pretty good idea. I didn't want any specifics on Jiyong's life. 

"I'm not exactly a cute and cuddly type of gal" I commented, kicking a rock across the ground

"I feel less alone" Yunho stopped walking and smiled, "Thanks"

"No problem" I grinned, feeling the same

We kept heading for the park to take a walk. Last week Yunho 'subtley' suggested we -and by that he means I- should get fit for dance since we'd be learning lifts soon. I had to agree unfortunately, all the Korean food was irresistable. 

"So Cindy, you're going with Jiyong?" Yunho asked

"If we last that long" I snickered, thinking of all the tricks he had played this past while. He was lucky I hadn't locked him up to starve yet. 

He slowed down his jogging pace, "What's that suppose to mean? Jiyong hasn't dated anyone for over a year, so he's got to be absolutely addicted to you" 

I took this opportunity to catch my breath and chug down some water, 

"Saying our relationship is complicated is an understatement"

"Well I hope you two work it out" encouraged Yunho

"To be honest, I hope we don't. I'm really done if you know what I mean. " I fully stopped with him at the edge of the pond, kicking off my shoes and sitting in the grass, "Jiyong doesn't exactly love me"

I'm sure this effectively made Yunho feel uncomfortable and awkward. I could tell by his concentrated expression as he mulled over what I'd said, which contradicted what was student common knowledge at the academy.

"Can I ask you something?" Yunho whispered as he pulled out the grass

I chuckled, "You just did. But yea, go ahead" 

He nervously sat up on his elbows, not making eye contact

"When you're single, would you go on a date with me?" 

I've never hated Jiyong more than this moment. Even without being here, he was screwing up my love life. 

"O-Of course" I wheezed out, stumbling over my words. 

"Wow. I'm so used to being rejected it's weird to hear that" lightly laughed Yunho with a hint of a sad truth

He added, "I've never dated a girl. I'm freaked out by the idea of messing up and having her hate me" while rolling on to his stomach

I gave him a half smile, "I won't let you down Yunho. You're my friend" 

At the same moment I felt a sting, not wanting to let down Jiyong either. 

"Hi Cindy" greeted Taecyeon as I arrived in the cafeteria for an early dinner. Wooyoung and Junho were also there. 

"Hey" I sat down next to Taec with a tray of food, "Where are Little Beast, Starbucks, and Grandpa Daegu?"

Wooyoung laughed, "Those three are out trying to find a date for the banquet. Girlscouting as they call it"

"What about you then?" I asked, waiting to hear the reasons from each of them

Junho chimed proudly, "The new Harry Potter comes out that day at midnight, and I can't miss it" 

"I have a real reason -not an excuse like Junho's- to why I'm not out asking girls left and right. I'm just waiting to see if a girl asks me, I honestly don't have the guts to ask someone out" confessed Wooyoung sheepishly

Taecyeon was the last, seemingly haven put in some thought to his words

"The girl I wanted to ask is taken"

I blushed, thinking of that time the fight broke out and he mentioned liking me. That night I had thought about it, and came to the conclusion he was just being nice. His adrenaline rush was probably still going, and he wanted to make up for the ruckus outside the theatre. 

"You should at least try to Taec" mumbled Wooyoung, chasing around some grains of rice in his bowl

He growled back, "We already went over why I can't babo"

"I was just saying!" defended Wooyoung, putting his hands up

"If you want a girls opinion, I would still ask her. It shows you are interested, and then so will she" I advised, seeing the tension between Taec and the other two rolling off by the bucket. 

"R-really?" Taecyeon's eyes were even larger than usual behind his glasses, "Well the girl is definitely in love with the guy she is with, no matter how much she denies it" 

I sighed, feeling bad for Taecyeon

"Have you told her how you feel? It tends to help"

"Not directly, and the time I hinted at it I mucked it up. She doesn't like me. " he shrugged, seeming to have given up

Patting his hands I gave him some encouragement, 

"Taecyeon; fighting!"

He just winced back while Junho and Wooyoung shook their heads. 

Suddenly -just as I was enjoying my half price frappacino from Starbucks- the music in the cafeteria was shut off, a hush falling immediately over the crowd. I had been jamming big time to some Billy Talent which rarely, if not ever, played. 

"Seoul City's one and only academy for the fine arts. May I have your attention.."

Oh god; I recognized the sickening slick tone on the microphone anywhere.

"You know my lovely girlfriend Cindy, right?" Jiyong waited for dramatic effect, "And we all are aware of the annual event next week, right?"

All the heads around me nodded with the faceless voice like he was there. 

"Well, I have something I'd like to ask"

Everyone was at the edge of their seat, waiting for the announcement. I had my head buried in my hands out of embarassment. The slowest minute of my life ticked by as the Jiyong's footsteps were heard through the speakers. 

My nightmare became worse as he strode up directly behind me, making me stand up as he gave me a back hug. All the girls sighed, and then gawked even more when he lead -more so dragged- me to the centre of the room and stood on a table, 

"I,  Heir of music Kwon Jiyong, want you to be my date for the Art's Banquet"

A singular yellow tulip popped into my face, as he knelt down to offer it. I wanted to rip the sweet smelling petals in half with my teeth and punch him for the humilation, but that would just make me look even more pathetic. This guy was the definition of . I smiled half heartedly, nodding a shy yes and accepting the flower. 

The entire student body began to cheer, except for the three. 

I bowed awkwardly and attempted to bolt back to the table and get away. I was too slow, and Jiyong gripped my face in his hands  and locked his lips with mine. Here goes the second attempt at a real first kiss...

He pulled away after a few seconds of no breath and grinned in triumph. 

"You were kissing me back" 

My face burned to a nice red, "N-no. You started it"

He smirked in his infamous way, "Then let's give it another shot"

For some insane reason I went along with it as he kissed me for a second time. 

I would make a comment about how horrible it was; but I couldn't. My mind was wiped blank by the stampede of emotions. 

"Wouldn't want anyone else wih me Cindy" whispered Jiyong lacing his fingers with mine. Dammit; I forgot to slap his hand away like usual as I voluntarily held it tighter. 

He noticed, smiling wildly with his perfect teeth. 

Caught up in the moment, I was let loose by Taecyeon angrily pushing his tray away and storming off. I really could please no one. 

"T-Taec!" I began to speed walk after him, Jiyong till attatched to me, "Stop!"

He didn't even look back as he motored down the hallway; through the boys' dorms, and into the courtyard that was 'under construction'.

"Why him Cindy. Of all guys" muttered Taecyeon, pacing over to the other side of the garden.

I didn't even notice the little path we were racing around on, surprised when it opened up to a larger one. 

Jiyong dropped my hand, "What's wrong Cater? Finally feeling what it's like to have someone stolen from you?"

"Wen breaking up with me had nothing to do with you. We simply fell out of love, and I understood that" Taecyeon leaned against a statue, "Pretending you know her better, that she was a prize; now that's my problem" 

"We're not talking about Wen anymore, are we Taecyeon" sneered Jiyong, protectively hiding me behind himself

Being confronted, Taec bowed his head in defeat and stomped off into the small hedge maze. 

"Cindy loves me, like Wen did. She won't cheat on me though." Jiyong added with a victorious shout

I followed them into the small maze, which turned out to be not so small. It was extremely over grown, students probably not even knowing about it. 

"Taecyeon! Jiyong!" I tripped over a branch, swearing loudly. I was completely lost, hearing only the back and forth ing between the two guys from all different directions. My mouth dropped in horror at the sight in the ground I'd stumbled upon after the ten minutes I'd been wandering, 

"W-wen...."

Her grave, the headstone. It was in the centre of the maze. 

I read to myself the words engraved in the sleek stone, being the only well maintained thing in the garden

"Guinevere Graydon. A starry night shows the light in any dark place. January 6 1992 to October 5-"

Today was October the 5th. Today a fresh yellow tulip had been place on the gravesite.

I felt tears welling up in my eyes, from the sheer amount of understanding that I had to do. 

The bushes around me began rustling, someone was coming. Stealthily I slipped down a lane I hadn't noticed prior, and crouched in the corner. Through the prickly needles I could see the flashy clothing of Jiyong and Taecyeon's denim on denim outfit. 

"So you've abandoned Cindy too? She should have just stuck with me" scoffed Taecyeon, moving as far away as possible from the grave

"If you haven't noticed; she got lost on her own" replied Jiyong cooly

I imagined Taecyeon rolling his eyes, 

"Well, go find your loving girlfriend you sicko" 

Jiyong didn't reply, kneeling before the headstone

Silence filled the maze, even the bugs and birds faded away. 

"Wen, she loved this place" reminisced Jiyong quietly

Taecyeon stoof back up, coming close to my hiding place on the other side. Thankfully he didn't look through the bushes.

"Jiyong, let's finish this"

Jiyong snapped out of my memories, growling back

"Ok; tell me then why you were with Wen that night. I found her here, dead, just an hour later."

"She wanted to talk with me; apologize for the improper breakup. She also was worried that you didn't want her anymore" Taecyeon had finally regained some composure, smoothing down his messy hair, "Don't go thinking we weren't friends, even though we ended the relationship" 

"She was partially right; she did have reason to worry I didn't want her anymore. I still did though, but I knew we needed to break up" explained Jiyong, avoiding eye contact. 

I was just quiet as a mouse, finally getting some real answers. I didn't even care I was lost in the middle of a ghetto maze. 

Taecyeon stiffened his tone, "Why"

Jiyong snapped,

"She was cheating on me with you!" 

The accusation totally thew me, not to mention Taecyeon. 

"No! You have it wrong! She was cheating, yes, but not with me" he marched over to Jiyong, spinning him around to look eye to eye, "Wen was with Jaebeom"

I coudn't hold back my gasp that time. 

"Y-You're lying" whimpered Jiyong, denying it yet clearly already convinced. 

"Her and I had been together since we were practically kids. When we reached highscool, I sensed her change. I don't know exactly when it started, but it was obvious she had fallen for him. She didn't want to hurt me, so she acted even more in love" confessed Taec sadly, 

"Jaebeom left" stated Jiyong very shakily, trying to justify his obssession with his dead girlfriend 

"Yes; after she died. Doesn't it fit just a little too neatly; the Princess driving him out of the school?" Taec pointed out

I saw Jiyong freeze and narrow his eyes, 

"What's that suppose to mean"

Taecyeon prepared to tell the last piece of information that could end all, 

"Making Wen fall in love with him was Jaebeom's mission to be Prince. Suzy was his real girlfriend. Having Wen commit suicide was a disqualification. Suzy was next in line, so they plotted together for him to be driven out. Popularity really does down the best of them"

I had heard enough for a lifetime. It was time for me to figure a way out; out of this maze, this twisted relationship with Jiyong. 

A few turns here, and a climb there, and I made it at least farther way from the centre. Sure, I forced my body through holes of dead brush, but it was better than mindlessly walking. The only reassuring thing I could hear was Jiyong's whines as him and Taecyeon tried to also get out. 

"Wherever the hell you are Taecyeon, know that I'm not letting you take Cindy from me!" leaves crunched as he yelled, his voice becoming louder. He was close by, "It doesn't change the fact you left me for the Heirs to eat alive!" 

Then Taecyeon began to respond, screeching just as loudly, the bushes quivering as he ran. He was equally close. 

"The race is on Jiyong. I know what Heir's do to other students, they'd do anything if it meant a highter status. I'm trying to save her, from you! She's not becoming an Heir, not while I can stop it!" 

Who would get to me first? Jiyong or Taecyeon?

"Let's head back to the dorm, I'm completely done"

A rigid and robotic Jiyong came walking down the long lane between the bushes. His eyes were bloodshot and his cheeks had a shine to them. 

I tried to think of the few good times we had, the times he let his guard down and let out his real feelings. The time on the graffitied bench, when he dropped me off after out first "date", holding my hand under the desk in animation, kissing me just earlier today....

All these thing dissappeared though when I saw this hard and unpenetrable shell of a person. 

"I c-can't" instinctively my feet shuffled backwards to create some distance, "I'll find a way out myself"

While Jiyong looked stunned, and Taecyeon just arrive me, I sprinted down a centre aisle and out of sight. 

My heart pounded as I s through the maze. I listened for the two guys -who clearly knew how to get out somehow- and the sounds of student life. The giggles of the little fangirls could be heard, even out here. 

This could have been enjoyable, sometime for deep thoughts, but it wasn't since I was about to pass out from hunger. It was begining to get darker too, the sun at he horizon casting long shadows. 

They say when one door closes, another one opens. To be honest, I couldn't tell which were closed or open. I guess a few were forced open with door stoppers and people's feet. 

Either way, I wasn't going to give up on the closed ones. I was going to kick down the door and fight for what I believed in. 

Now; which door was that?