All Dolled Up

If Only High School Made Sense

"Cindy! Are you coming or not!" Gina banged on the bathroom door, "I want to get to the salon on time"

"Ya! I'm almost done" I hollered back, kicking open the door while I dried my hands 

Tonight was the big day;  Arts Banquet. 

I still was going with Jiyong, since he insisted on taking me despite the fight with Taec. I had the feeling he had something especially humiliating up his sleeve, so I had my guard up especially high. 

Gina had booked us a time slot at a high class salon to get our hair done. I never thought this event would be so formal; I was just going to wear a skirt and sandals. Guess not. 

Right before leaving, I had messaged Emily to see if she wanted to tag along. She turned it down, saying she was spending the day with Key. Those two were dating; it was undeniable at this point. At least Key's infatuation with Emily took away from his time to pick on Eli, Min, and I during class. 

"Look at all the split ends I have; nasty..." I mumbled to myself as the hairdresser parted my hair, getting ready to trim it. 

Meanwhile, Gina was chatting up the male hairdresser behind me. He clearly was trying to flirt with her, but she kept name dropping her date; Onew. I don't get what she saw in him sometimes. I remember he once brought a box of chicken - just chicken- to class and ate it the entire time refusing to teach because he was too hungry. Weirdo. 

I admired my fresh look, my layers nice and clean. The hair was put in loose spirals and pinned to the right side on the crown of my head. It almost looked like I had a pigtail on only one side. I liked it though; cute and quirky. 

"You look fancy" I complimented, seeing Gina's locks braided and knotted into a complex pile on her head. 

She smiled, "Thanks; you look great too" 

We payed at the front desk, and thanked the stylists. Self esteem now boosted, I began to walk into the lovely sunny afternoon. Suddenly, Emily came barreling down the street waving her arms crazily. 

"Finally! Found you!" she heaved, trying to catch her breath, "Where's your phone?"

Oops; I had let it run down to zero battery. 

"Sorry. Well, you're here now. What's the deal?" I prompted, seeing her still breathing heavily. 

"Well, it's Key, but not really. I mean that he was involved yet kind of wasn't except- Let me restart" she spewed as she took a seat in the waiting area. Luckily due to the exclusivity of the salon, not many people -let alone students- were there. 

"Just tell us woman" urged Gina, excited for some girl talk. I hope it was girl talk; that way I didn't have to handle it and Gina could. 

"Jiyong is using you!" Emily hissed

I bobbed my head, "Yea, that's not new. His revenge scheme is loud and clear "

"No, not like that" she rubbed her hands together trying to think of the words, "You know how there are about a dozen Heirs? Key, Onew, Jiyong, Suzy, Victoria..."

I nodded, "And the all have to do with....?"

"The group of Heirs have a leader -the Prince or Princess- that has the ultimate say in things. Right now, Suzy is Princess but she's leaving for JYP Entertaiment to train"

"Where does the boyfriend fit into this?" asked Gina, impatient 

"I'm getting there; chill" Emily swung her feet around, her other leg crossed over top, "Anyways; Jiyong will be taking Suzy's place.  Being Prince isn't easy though; they give you a task to prove you are 'worthy'. Jiyong's task was you Cindy"

"What?" I hiccuped. How was I a task? The only thing we did as a couple was fight.

She sighed, as if I was a child learning how to count. 

"Jiyong has to make you fall in love with him to become Prince; Key told me. I'm sorry" 

The truth sunk in, but hadn't I realized this was a farce all along? My feelings sure didn't, because I felt horrible hearing the news. All those little things that had meant something to me had meant nothing to him. It was just Jiyong being his Heir-head self, winning me over for more power at the academy.

He had won me over alright, because I had lost big time at our little game. Unkowingly, I had fallen for him, just like every other girl.

"How could he do that? Thinking its acceptable to play with people like toys" Gina began stomping out of the salon with Emily and I in tow, "I'm cutting it off with Onew; he knows you're my friend and didn't let me in on what Jiyong really was doing. For all I know, he's using me too"

Emily coughed, "Onew isn't; Key told me about his crush on you since last year"

"Oh? Really... Well.. uhm... I'm still telling him I can't go" Gina stated, not being very convincing.

I sighed, "Gina, don't break your date with Onew because of my problem. This is between Jiyong and I, no one else"

... And I guess his dead suicidal girlfriend

"I have to go; I left Key in the park" Emily began jogging back down the street, away from the academy, "Again, I'm sorry Cindy. I didn't know"

 "It's okay" I grimaced, putting on my brave face for the time being

I really wasn't though. I actually had been tricked into thinking Jiyong wanted me; idiot.

We walked back to the academy, both unsure what to say or how to feel.

"What should I do Gina?" I asked, completely taken off guard by Emily's announcement

She shrugged, "The banquet is tonight, and Jiyong is mostly likely off with the other Heir's getting ready"

I stayed quiet; knowing I'd have to put on my best act for him.

"If it helps, I think he really does care about you. He hasn't stuck with someone this long since Wen."

I winced, "I'm sure it was his want for the popularity, not his feelings that made him stick around. Thanks though"

"He came for his crown, but stayed for his crush" sang Gina, still optimistic even at times like this. I hated and loved it.

I could see the gates at the southern entrance to the campus. I groaned when I saw who was standing around them; the Heirs.

"Look who it is; your girlfriend Jiyong" sniggered Suzy, siting on the stone ledge against the iron fence. Her spiked heels were wrapped in the intricate metal.

"Hi Onew" Gina squeaked, giving him a little wave who was leaning against a large cherry blossom tree. She was nervous around him with the other Heirs.

Onew waved back and grinned ear to ear. He came bounding up to Gina and  stood beside her.

On the other hand, I shot lasers out of my eyes at Jiyong. No point in hiding how upset I was.

He smirked, ready to put on a perfomance for his friends

"Jagiya, I was looking for yo- "

"Save it Jiyong" I spat

"There a reason you're so cranky? Didn't get much sleep after our night together?" he cooed, the Heirs whistling in approval

I rolled my eyes, "You tell me, Prince"

This surprised him; finally had the advantage.

"That right; I'm not completely stupid!" I kicked open the second gate to the path leading to the academy "But i'm wrong, your aren't Prince, because I don't love you"

He recovered slightly, "Let's talk then. You know I love you, why else would I take you to Arts Banquet?"

"Because you're a time leech with the inability to feel anything!" I shrieked, making everyone back away. I saw Onew take Gina's hand; stupid couples with stupid real relationships.

"Ok, you think that" he smoothly my cheek but I slapped him across the face. He wiped his skin where a big red hand print now was, singing back in his seductive tone, "Let's save the physical stuff for after tonight, alright?"

Even that hit didn't wipe of the mask he wore.

"It's funny how you think after all the crap you put me through, I'd go with you to this meaningless thing!" I felt hot tears welling up in my eyes from anger. Tip your head back Cindy, blink those tears away. Once my vision focused again, I yelled, "Find someone else, go alone! I'm done with you Kwon, niga mibda!"

I didn't look back as I stormed off for my room. I heard Gina whispering away to Onew before coming after me.

Even though I couldnt see him, I could hear him

"So is that a no to prom?"

With my last nibble of self control, I just flashed the middle finger over my shoulder, without screaming a response. If I started, I wouldn't stop. I hope that this wasn't just a Western thing.

"I hope he burns in hell! Maybe that could get rid of his stupid smug smile!" I blasted, punching my pillow as I jumped on my bed

Gina was a little freaked, mumbling

"I'm sure if he went there though, he'd want you with him"

"What are you saying? I hate that guy!" I byurrowed in the mattress, whipping my body around, "I'm definitely not going tonight"

"He doesn't hate you though; and you are going tonight. We didn't get our hair done for nothing" said Gina, snatching my pillow away and tossing it into the closet

I pouted, "You have someone to look good for; I don't. Jiyong should go stab himself and take out his heart since it doesn't beat anyways"

"That's how Wen died you know" commented Gina getting out her dress.

Awkward.

"I mean, the stabbing part. She killed herself in one of the gardens, no one knows which though. There are rumours its haunted now, or that it dissappeared. I don't belive that type of stuff though" she elaborated, heading to the bathroom

Gina stuck out her head from behind the door, applying a face mask

"I know you'd only grump around if you stuck with Onew and I, and Emily and Key. I know the six are going; they think you're the coolest thing around"

I raised my nicely shaped eyebrows from earilier today,

"They're going?"

Gina nodded, "They went without dates last year, assume they are again"

"Are you going to make me go regardless?" I griped

"Obviously; what type of friend would I be if I didn't. It'll be fun" pressured Gina

I sighed, defeated, "Fine. But if you think I'm talking with Jiyong; forget it"

"Have it your way Cindy" she dug in the closet to find the dress I had bought, "Here; start getting ready"

Even though I hated the idea of going out tonight, I couldn't help but get giddy. All girls love to get dressed up and have fun, it comes with the gender. Damn me and my estrogen, I was suppose to be mad and sulky for the next few hours not glitzy and girly. 

Gina was wearing a cute black and silver dress with lots of sequins. She was one of the few that could pull off that dress without lookinng trashy. I think it was her cute face, the eyes. I was wearing a red dress that cinched at the waist and puffed out at the bottom. The silky fabric wasn't itchy or tight, so I approved. The shine of it bounced off the light in a way that showed off the make up. Eyeliner in one shot; it must be a sign. 

"I should bring a bib or something; probably going to spill" I muttered, imagining the rosy fabric stained with Korean BBQ. 

"At least try to chew, and not just swallow" laughed Gina, tying up her strappy bright yellow heels. 

It was 5:48 pm, and Gina was meeting Onew before the dinner. I of course was no longer meeting anyone. Jiyong; why do you have to be such a jerk. 

"Hey Gi- Wow. You look..." Onew fully checked her out as we approached the gates to the hall, "Beautiful"

She giggled like a five year old, "Thanks. You look handsome too"

I snuck a peek; he did look hot. Gina's shoes and his tie were even the same colour. Wonder if they planned that.

"Oh, there's Emily and Key" yipped Gina, waving rapidly to the other couple. 

"Hi guys; ready to have some fun?" cheered Key, swinging his and Emily's joined hands

"I sure am" I said dryly, being completely forgotten already. 

Key smirked, "Too bad Jonghyun already has a date and you were with Jiyong. He would have a heart attack if he saw you now"

"Thank you?" I slurred, unsure whether that was a compliment or insult. I'm guessing half and half. 

We walked together the rest of the way, chatting about what the celebration would be like this year.

"Last year the banquet was called Fantasia; a magic theme. It was so pretty; flashing lights, glittering dance floor, and magicians doing some entertaining before the meal." excitedly told Gina, getting agreeing nods from Onew and Key. 

"What's the theme this year?" I stumbled over in my tall red pumps, "You're Heir's; you organize this thing"

"Acutally, we know as much as you do. Princess does it all, not us" clarified Key

"But the invitations offer hints always. Like the Fantasia ones were tarot cards" added Onew, waving Gina's plain black ticket.

Didn't get any hidden meaning from that, not even my old English teacher Ms. Moser would be able to come up with one.  She'd probably just say it was the devil or something. Maybe it was a gothic theme, since black equals darkne- God; I'm turning into her. Must stop my over analysing habit. 

Soon enough the two couples began flirting like it was their last day alive, poking, tickling, and giggling to the maximum. I gagged a little when Onew said to Gina, "You don't need a Death Note when you have killer beauty". Really Onew; a manga/anime pick up line? It didn't matter though because Gina was too in love with him to care. 

The atmosphere was filled with the couple's cutesy comebacks, so it was my time to bail. It was just early enough, seeing as we were standing in line to get in. I panicked when Onew and Key got us in earlier with Heir status, but was relieved when two other Heir's and their dates were ahead. I had been planning to escape anways; why else would I wear the most common colour for asian people. Plan blend-in-and dissappear was a go. 

"Cindy?"

; busted before I even got out of the VIP line. 

"Where's boyfriend?"

I sighed, "We broke u- Yunho!" I dragged him behind a large pillar quickly, "What are you doing here?"

He grinned, "I am a candidate for becoming an Heir, so I got this special invite"

The card wasn't a plain black with gold writing, but rather gold with black writing. On the back was a handwritten message from the Princess -Suzy- saying he was a nominee.  This was some legitimate stuff, being apart of the "it"crowd here. 

"Congratulations" I checked the line that the Heirs waited in, "Who's your date?"

"No one. Remember, relationship idiot" he laughed, outlining the shape of a non-existent woman. 

His carefreeness made me forget about Jiyong, about the two bubbly and happy couples. 

"Jiyong must love showing you off tonight" commented Yunho, point at my fancy clothing and shoes. 

I made direct eye contact, "We broke up today"

Yunho became embarassed, apologizing

"I'm so sorry Cindy, I just thought- No, I wasn't thinking. Stupid me, messing up relationships, ones that aren't even mine!"

"Don't worry; it was between him and I. I'm over it" I lied, totally not over it

Before I knew what was happening or why we still were behind a pilar talking in hushed voices, Yunho hugged me. It made my head spin ten times faster than any of Jiyong's kisses. He pulled away after a few seconds, 

"I never break a promise, so Cindy, will you be my date tonight?" quietly whispered Yunho, making his words real.

They weren't said to be a show off, but because he felt them. That what Jiyong could never do. 

I blushed, flattered

"It'd be an honour Yunho. Of course"

Linked arm in arm, we walked back smiling brightly to our spot in line with the Heirs and other VIPs. The doors were about to open for us -the head table- to be seated. The other students were int he entrance area, enjoying appetizers and mingling. This was the makings of a memorable night. 

The thing I never will forget tthough was Jiyong's face when he saw Yunho and I laughing together. 

Being happy; together.