Happy End

If Only High School Made Sense

Jiyong's Perspective

"Hyung; where are you going!" Key ran up behind me stopping in the door way, "We're still in the meeting"

I would like to tell Key and the rest of the staring teenagers that I was getting back our member. Say that Cindy needed to be forced to stay, and I'd be the one to do it. But no. The truth came out for once, how it wasn't just business and strategy. 

"To go get Cindy" I kept jogging up the steps, my messenger bag thumping against my legs "Ask her to be my girlfriend" 

I regret nothing. 

As fast as possible I chased after her. Cindy had left maybe just five minutes before I got up the nerve, so she can't be that far away. At max speed I managed to squeeze out a bit more distance, hearing the following thumps of the Heirs. There really was no meeting without me since I was Prince. If or when they caught me, I'm sure CL and Victoria might just beat me to a pulp. The thought made me trip along up the stairs even faster. 

"Yah! You!" I yelled, seeing her shoes just turn the corner ahead

She stopped and turned around as I trailed behind. Immediately she began to walk away again.

"Get over here! I have something to say!" I called even louder

It didn't work though, Tiredly I jogged behind her, physically stopping her with my hands on her shoulders. 

"Jiyong;not the time..." she clenched her teeth tighter as the footsteps behind us grew, "I'll stay out of your way, and stop ruining your image. Ok?"

I forced her to turn around and look me in the eye. I was about to kiss her so she'd shut up with all the crazy talk, but stopped when I saw her bloodshot eyes. 

"Have you been crying?" I asked

"No. Idiot" she lied, wiping her face with her arm

I had to smile. She was too perfect. 

Voices became more distinct as the people got closer. I waited for Taemin and CL to start blasting me, but instead heard the complete opposite. 

"A-are you ready to go for ramen?"

A hesitant Nichkhun and Wooyoung crept up from Cindy's end of the hall, almost trying to hide behind her.  Following suit the hoard of Heirs strutted behind me, ready to scold. Surprisingly, they said nothing though.

"I have to go. Goodbye" she muttered, beginning to retreat with the five

Quickly I caught her arm. I didn't know what to do next, I just needed her to stay until I got it together. Guess it was time for that spontaneous kiss.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

What did Jiyong think he was doing, was he on crack? Probably. Not only were the five here, but now the Heirs I had just escaped. Couldn't he let me get away this one time? 

"Just let me go; please" I whispered 

As expected he didn't listen, pulling me even closer to himself in front of everybody. Passionately he kissed me, being so into it, it was bordering sloppy. I tried to push him off, being highly embarassed that people were watching. Honestly, if we were alone I would have been anjoying this. 

"Listen; ok?" Jiyong gripped my wrist as if I was some fugitive, "Seriously"

I turned to Wooyoung, giving him a desperate and apologetic look. He looked like he was made of stone and was about to crack. Then I saw why; Taecyeon was coming down the hall. 

To the best of my ability, I gave a threatening look to the guys. They had totally lied, saying it'd be just us without Taec. I should've suspected that they were trying to get us back together. It's not like I was absolutely repulsed by the idea, but it would just be so awkward. The bucket of feelings I'd dumped on him at the end of year dance had been enough. 

Jiyong stopped rumaging through his bag, freezing at the sight of Taec. I was in the same boat, and it was about to sink. 

"Forget it. I'm an idiot" forcefully Jiyong shoved something into my hands, beginning to push through the Heirs, "Sorry. My mistake"

I looked to all the people, unsure what to do. My problems had come face to face, who I was and who I was expected to be. Was I Heir Cindy who ran the school, or normal Cindy who ate away her life with her guy friends? Should I run back to Taecyeon and try again, or run forward and try with Jiyong? I guess a bit of both worlds, seeing what had been put in my hands.

You are what matters now. So please; complete my picture 

My hands shook violently as my nails dug into the small canvas. Jiyong had painted the message in the bottom right hand corner,below a portrait of myself. He had made me look ten times prettier than in real life, even my unruly hair had been tamed with the acrylic paint. Half of it was blank, only having his name underneath it. 

There was no question. I knew what I wanted. 

In motion I managed to kick off my shoes, my bag already metres behind me. It only took me a minute to find a super upset diva stomping away to his dorm. 

"Ji!" I got a handful of the back of his jacket, "Wait!"

Before he could tell me off, I dragged him backwards and turned him around so we were face to face. I kissed him hard, really meaning it for the first time. Why hadn't I seen this sooner, how much I truly liked him. Behind all the glitter and pastel pants, there was a simply amazing boy that I wanted to have in my life. 

"I'm sorry. Mianhe" I breathed, holding him in a hug now

"Why are you sorry?" he muttered, probably just in shock

"Because I'm dumb. I left you behind" I looked up to see his dumbfounded expression, hesitantly adding in a whisper, "...and I never admitted that I like you" 

Jiyong smiled, It was so big that I could count all his teeth. He swooped me up, spinning around in a tight hug like those tropical getaway commercials. Unfortunately, in the process of chasing him I had ruffled the small area rug, so he tripped. With a loud oof, I collapsed on top of him. 

"You should cut back on the bacon" he teased, pinching my cheeks

"Hey; then you should work out" I rebutled through my smile that refused to go away

Lightly he touched his forehead to mine, propping himself up on elbows. I sat in his lap, like a child ready for story time. 

"So that's it? You aren't going to shoe me away and say I'm crazy?" he mused

I lowered my eyes bashfully, 

"No. I'm the crazy one today. Lucky day for you" 

"So. I guess I should do this officially" Jiyong took off the chain he religiously wore, sliding off one of the rings, "Will you be my girlfriend Miss Canada?"

Playfully I punched him in the arm before giving him a quick peck on the cheek. I could barely speak I was grinning to widely,

"Yes. Yes Heir-head"

After months of playing cat and mouse, neither of us fell into the trap but rather both. I dwelled too much on the future and trusted too easily. Jiyong dwelled too much on the past and trusted not at all. Well; now that's changed. We've changed. 

We really are great together; a perfect match. 

Proudly I swung our linked hands as we walked down the hall. Jiyong showed me off as his girlfriend to the few passing students, recieving giggles and sighs. Unlike at the year's beginning though, he meant it. Crap; the Heirs and six were still standing around like chickens without heads. I stopped walking, tugging Jiyong back,

"Uhm... What do I do?" I wheezed, seeing them mingling 

"You walk right up to Taec, snap your fingers and say 'your loss baby' and then passionately kiss me" he replied

I slapped him on the chest, my eyes still on the scene just ahead

"Yah; I'll do that when you punch Victoria in the face and tell her that she's never getting back with Khun" I mumbled

"I was only joking" he said unconvincingly

After at least two minutes of banter, I decided to take the dive into the rocks below. Jiyong was partial to just calling it a day and going out for dinner, but I knew they all deserved some answers. With his arm protectively around my waist we approached the Heirs -ready to be eaten alive- and the six, who were afraid that we'd do that to them. I smiled sheepishly at them all, making it clear that I felt equally uncomfortable. 

"So.. Does everyone want to go for barbeque?"

Food never fails to bring people together. I didn't even finish my sentence and they were asking which restaurant. 

"You talk to the Heirs, while I take care of my kids" I instructed, slowing down my pace

"Ok; let's do it" Jiyong gave my hand one last squeeze before letting go, "And by the way; I like you too"

Dammit you; that made me blush. He just laughed before jogging up to do crowd control. I fell back in the group to chat with my kids, my teenage dorky boy kids.

"I understand if you're angry at me. So just tell me if you are, I don't want you guys bottling things up. Come on; just tell me I'm insane" I prompted, walking with my head down inbetween Junsu and Chansung 

Junsu grimaced,

"You're insane"

"But happy" added Khun, walking behind me with a solemn Taecyeon

I slowed down even more to walk beside Taec. The guys got my body language, walking faster to give us privacy. He was the one where the gap would be the largest to bridge. 

"He does make you happy, more than I ever did" he muttered

"I wouldn't say that. When we were together, you made me feel this way" I said

He absentmindedly kicked a rock, stumbling because he had accidentally stepped on his own shoelaces. He regained his balance, 

"But Jiyong is happy. I've never seen him this way, not even with Wen"

I bit my lip, shifting my eyes between the backs of heads and passing trees

"What are you really trying to tell me Taec?"

He smiled with his lips, making eye contact with me momentarily. His tone was oddly sincere, 

"That I'm ok with this. Seeing how happy you two make each other, it makes me happy. Jiyong really does treat you well. He deserves you as a girlfriend, I don't though. I've accepted that fact"

It made me feel almost guilty hearing this, like I'd taken away his chance at loving ever again. I know this wasn't true -he'd find someone new- but I still felt horrible. Taecyeon was right though; Jiyong did treat me well and made me feel wonderful. 

"Jiyong used to always wear low cut shirts to impress Wen with his tattoo. That's how I knew he liked you. Don't tell him I told you his strategy though" commented Taec, noticing how the gears were still turning in my head

"Well, I won't tell Ji if you don't tell him this" I walked backwards so I could look straight on at him, "He still wears your frienship bracelet from grade school. It's on his left wrist, right under one I gave him"

Out of curiosity I checked out Taecyeon's arms, having not taken notice before. I easily spotted the matching worn leather strap with the hangul for "friend" carved into it. He twitched the right side of his mouth,

"Well; let's just sart with the relationship between you two. I'll think about the bestfriend thing another time" 

Eventually we all herded into a student favourite of a restaurant. Jiyong talked quickly to the hostess, dropping his own name and fathers multiple times. I didn't really care, considering I was extremely hungry. Within minutes we were all seated. 

I whispered in Jiyong's ear, leaning away from Wooyoung on my other side

"I see some of the Heir's bailed"

"Well; in their defense Heirs do have a schedule to keep. Seunhyun has filming, and so do Minho and Jonghyun" Jiyong smiled at the waitress as she set a glass of water infront of him, "But now we're even; six and six. We'll survive"

"So then what'd you say to them? They're still here, and I didn't hear a single scream en route" I mused, truly curious since Heirs didn't exactly follow rules

Underneath the table Jiyong held my hand, drawing circles on the top with his thumb. He smirked,

"Somtimes we can be understanding. Plus; they're all curious about the six. They take recruiting very seriosuly"

I frowned,

"You're really considering it?"

"As much as I like being the dictator, there still is democracy in that area" he sighed

I left the topic alone. All I could do was hope that things would change before the next school year. 

It was interesting the way everyone interacted. The divde between the two social groups was so obvious, there may as well be a three foot tall brick wall down the table. The two groups exchanged awkward glances, sizing each other up. Victoria was staring down Khun, Key looked like he was about to eat Wooyoung along with his food, and Onew shook his head every minute or so at Taecyeon. The tension between those three pairs was beyond thick. 

Jiyong and I sat in the middle, belonging to both sides now.

After possibly the most awkward meal in my entire existence, the Heirs and six dispersed back into the public. I expected the six to carry on back to school, and the Heirs to hop into someone's expensive car, but no. Together they wandered off towards a shopping centre. Today was crazy day. 

"What do they think they're talking about? I know it's most likely about us, but what?" I wondered out loud, linking my arm with Jiyong's

He finished paying the bill, escorting me out the door. He replied, 

"I don't know. But really; does it even matter? We're together. That's what matters to me" 

Ok; that deserved a kiss. Quickly I pecked him on the lips with a smiling face. 

"Honestly; I don't feel very different being your girlfriend" I walked along the raised edged of a flower bed, almost falling off, "We always acted this way once I think about it" 

Before I could injure myself or him, Jiyong lifted me off and back on to the sidewalk. He laughed when I tried to act taller than him, walking on the balls of my feet. 

"Maybe you're right, but I feel different. I don't have to hide anything from you" he grinned

I scrunched up my face, 

"What were you hiding before then?"

"You clearly don't notice how much you like to snoop. I had to change the hiding place for all those art supplies at least twice a week, or else you'd have found them" he explained 

Suddenly he stopped walking, pointing to the shop we were infront of. He led me in, not leaving room for questions. Then I realized the significance of the shop, it was the one he used to take Wen to. 

"And now I don't have to hide how I feel" Jiyong handed me the yellow tulip he'd just bought, "I love you" 

My voice got caught in my throat at that word; love. It meant nothing yet everything at the same time. In this case, it meant a lot since he'd never told me that. I really did believe him too. 

Currently we were strolling past a small convenience store. I dashed in and out, asking Jiyong to wait outside. After a minute or two I came back, giving him a green tea and package of instant rice. 

"Here; I never apologized for shoving that bowl in your face, and dumping that drink on you" I popped off the cap to the cold bottle, "We can call it even. Go ahead; get it over with"

I waited for the revenge, the drenched hair and grainy feeling of rice. Jiyong didn't do anything though, but laughed instead. 

"You agreeing to date me is beyond fair. You were just flirting with me, and I liked it"

As he continued to laugh at me, I ripped open the package of uncoked rice, I flicked a handful of it in his face, laughing just as loudly myself. 

"And you're still flirting with me" he sang, brushing off the small grains

"Well gee; maybe I am" I giggled, picking out a bit that had gotten stuck in the spiked front

Holding Jiyong's hand, sharing memories like that with him, I wouldn't want anything else.

Maybe we'll break up in five years, maybe 3 months, or even 6 days if he decides to go bipolar on me. The beauty of it though, is it isn't anyone's business. I'm Jiyong's girlfriend, I'm the one who puts up with his laundry overflow and his diva attitude; not anyone else. The Heirs or my friends aren't the people in the relationship. It's all mine. We're just two people who didn't have a direction, wandering around instead. Now look; we're walking together in the same direction. 

I'll complete your picture Jiyong; dont worry. In full colour too.